• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames?

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    i find it impossible to nickname Pokémon, when i used to try i usually would end up with some boring generic name (e.g. Blaze for a fire type) so i don't bother now

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I constantly nickname........... I nicknamed my Wailord "Blue Giant" another example is my Swellow I named it shimmering. And also Pokemon are rated better in contests with nicknames.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    I tend to name from things I recently saw on TV. Such as in Silver I named my Dragonite Shenron (any Dnite i feel is party worthy I name Shenron out of habit)

I named my Arcanine "Zeke" because it reminded me of Van's Blade Liger in Zoids haha.

I named my Swellow "Falco" etc.

I wanted to name my Charizard "Ryujinjakka" but it doesn't fit in the space though haha.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I nickname like a maniac. Usually I assign a Pokemon to an alchemic element, then associate it's name with it. Example - Pidgey is a bird, and birds are associated with air. So it's name could be Gust or Gale.
    I also have a Floatzel randomly named Picardfish. =D

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    I Rarely Nickname my Pokemon. Nicknamed Gengar ShadowDoom becuz it looks Spooky, And Nicknamed Salamence MegaBeast cuz it looks like a Strong Beast

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    I tend not to nickname any of my Pokemon. Only on special occasions.
    Once I found a shiny Weedle and named it "Starly" this was before D/P was released.
    I thought of the name "Starly" cause stars appeared when I met the Weedle.
    And I can't believe theres a Pokemon in D/P named Starly!

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
    I tend to nickname from whatever is on my mind at the moment.
    In example, shiny Azelf's color scheme reminds me of Super man, and the battle music of the lake trio is epic. Thus the nickname 'SuperEpic' was born.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
    I nickname quite often, actually. names tend to be anime characters (eg. Serena the Persian) game characters (eg. Zelda the Gardevoir), Disney characters (eg. Meeko the Linoone), Western animated characters (eg. Lola the Buneary), and foreign words (eg. Luce the Ampharos)

Heather

Years
    • Seen Jul 17, 2021
    I usually dont nickname my pokemon but i had to i would probaly name them all Fluffy.

groudonlover

Mateus readies Hellfire...
    Years
    I just write the first thing that pops up in my mind xD
    My Pearl character is called Ussop(the guy with the pointy nose in One Piece), just because i was just thinking about One Piece when i got the game, one of my 5 Shroomish's is called Buffschtonk, my Milotic i use for Ruby Battle Tower is called Florfelo...
    My Ruby character is called "Prutt"(means "Fart" in Swedish), just because i just wrote something to try the game :/ Then the guy i borrowed it from quit my school, so i got to keep it :P

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    I nickname all my Pokemon :D

I nicknamed my Empoleon Pingu, my Roserade Rosie, my Alakazam Magic, my Rapidash pegasus and I cant remember what I nicknamed my Luxray. :S (Btw, this is my Diamond team :))

Tsuki~

Slightly Insane >:3
    Years
    I used to name them after Naruto characters, e.g Gengar = Orochimaru, but that got kinda annoying, so I then named them after japanese words that fit them.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 29, 2019
    I usually use adjectives for nicknames. For example, in my crystal team I nicknamed my arcanine Valiant, my snorlax Royal, my slowbro Sage, and my marowak Guardian. I also have named a zigzagoon (I'm restarting sapphire) Rush. I'm not really into the Japanese or anime nicknames because it seems unoriginal to me (that's just mah opinion, though, so don't yell at me xD ) I prefer nicknames that make sense, but aren't too obvious.

Formula380

Supersonic
    Years
    I'll only nickname once I get my permanent team. Havn't got a permanent team in any of my games yet but going to try this time in diamond. Starting with my 100 Salamence I'll nickname Kitty.

Back