• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nicknames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assault

Exotic Water Pokemon Hunter
    Years
    I don't. I think Nicknaming is stupid. Say you call a Pikachu 'Sparky' right, It's not going to run round everywhere saying Spark..spark...sparky. It's going to say Pika...pikapi...chuuuu! I don't think the pokemon is as real as it should be if it's nicknamed. :/

Lati-Fan95

I completed my HG Pokedex!^^
    Years
    Why do you nickname your pokemon and what makes you choose that nickname?

I rarely nickname my pokemon. Not that I don't want to, I just don't have any good ideas!^^ If I nickname, I nickname Pokemon that Dexholders in the manga are using like they nicknamed theirs!^^ And sometimes, when I have good ideas like calling my notch-eared Pichu "SpIkEz" or one from my bro, calling Gengar "Gengstar"!^^ (c'mon, you gotta admit that's awesome!^^)

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I don't usually nickname pokemon because I don't have much creativity :p
    But sometimes I make names like: ASHKETCHUM or Grey, Sol, or shadow.

Daikenki

Water Trainer
    Years
    Well, if you own a pet in real life you must nickname it right? I have a peekapoo but I named him Cesar. He doesn't go around saying peeka peeka or cesar. He barks like a dog usually does. There's my two cents on that whole thing..
    To each his own. You can nickname and you don't have to.

I used to not nickname any of my pokemon because Ash never did in the anime. Well, no one did except for a select few people. I thought it was taboo, haha. But after a while I decided I wanted to give each of my pokemon different personalities from the others.

I usually nickname my pokemon something that relates to their species. Or if they do something awesome or funny I'll nickname them that. Take my Rapidash from my platinum game for example. He's a male Rapidash but for the longest time I thought he was a female and I had named him Peach, haha. He's still got that name. And some pokemon like Staraptor I name it Aria because it kind of fits with the species. Aria makes me think of the sky, heavenly things. Birds fly in the sky. Whoooo o3o -is not original-

Sure they may not be real, and they look like every other pokemon in the game, but for me, giving my pokemon a nickname makes them that much more special than some random bidoof in the wild.

Ficher

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2012
    I used to give them nicknames when I was a kid, but now, I never bother to, really. I like their original names better.

InfernoHo-Oh

has returned
    Years
    I often give them nicknames... Breeze is my Pidgeot, for example. I think it makes them more special instead of being "Arcanine" - its "Flare". I just like giving them names :D

Meadow

[span="font-family: Handlee; font-size: 15px; font
    Years
    Well, I nickname the Pokémon that I'd use for a long term, so I could have a better feel when training them. If I was catching any random Pokémon that would come in the way, then it would be quite tiring to keep coming up with the names.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2010
    I nickname like the first 30 or so i catch... then i just get lazy. Oh and i also make sure i nickname specials too.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2010
    Aside from markings, nicknames help me identify my pokemon. Especially the pokemon I want to keep, and the ones I wouldn't mind releasing. I like making cute nicknames, like nicknaming my female geodude Toph. Sometimes, I'll nickname them based on how they acted in the battle beforehand. A lot of the time, I cannot think of nicknames, so I never end up giving them one and just distinguish the pokemon by its marking.

Kinoko_Otoko

Mutant Jumpluff
    Years
    I've always nicknamed them. I'm just sentimental I guess... I typically get both copies of a given generation and never reset one of them, resetting the other to farm legendaries and items, and play with new teams. I have 224 hours on my FR version... Anyway, I decided to reset my Diamond version because I decided I didn't like the name I'd picked (for my character). So I began the long process of evacuation of everything I wanted to keep. Too bad they made Pokemon Ranch useless for that purpose. Anyway, I'm not so sentimental that I wouldn't let ANY Pokemon go down with the game, but I am sentimental enough that I decided I was going to transfer my 4 or 5 boxes of Eevees before I reset the game (I plan on eventually putting them all on Pokemon Ranch...).

But I hate having Pokemon without nicknames. And once I transferred them to another cart I wouldn't be able to name them... So I named them. All of them. 4 or 5 boxes... It was over 100 Eevees I think. I ended up letting my cousin name a few, it got weird.

I've always named them though. Some of my favorite names are the ones I used the first time I played through Pokemon; my cousin played it first, and named his Bulbasaur MiracleGro, so I named mine Weed-B-Gon. My Nidoking was Horny (I was pretty proud of that one), and my Articuno was Frigidaire, which is a brand of refrigerator for you young whelps who don't know. Wigglytuff was Tuff Enuff. Can't remember too many of those... I eventually had one of every Pokemon in my box on my Blue version, and they were all named. It was pretty irritating back then, because they had generic icons so I couldn't tell which ones were what pokemon if I forgot. I think I eventually put them all in Pokedex order.

Nowadays I mostly take as many words as I can think of that I associate with a given Pokemon's type and/or planned move sets and the Pokemon itself, and mash them together to make new words. For instance, one of my legendary catching team is an Umbreon with Yawn, so I call him Bromos, from 'bromide', which is an obsolete generic term for a sedative. A Gallade I used on my main team in one play through I named Arthael, from Arthas/Arthur/Lirael and other fantasy knight-type names. A Swellow I made to use Thief with I named Birdlar (burglar? get it?). A Beedrill was Ovalisk, from ova for egg, and -lisk from the Star Craft Zerg unit names (Hydralisk, Mutalisk, etc). Candlejack the Gengar, Honalea the Lapras. One of my favorites is a flareon, Heleos, from Helios, the sun god, and (I think?) Eos, the goddess of dawn. That was either Roman or Greek mythology, can't remember which. She was a favorite team member, not a favorite name.

I will close my DS and sit there for 20 minutes to think up a name. I don't name all the Pokemon I catch anymore, but if I'm using it for anything (even breeding) it will usually get a name. Basically, if you ever trade with me, you're probably getting a named Pokemon.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    I nickname my pokemon according to their features (usually) like Rosie the Rosrade, Mary the Ampheros (Mary had a little lamb) and Lady Geranium the Jynx.

Martins

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2014
    I never bothered to nickname my Pokémon, really. I like their name as is.

Rapidash

Firefly Class.
    Years
    I like nicknaming, but I'm not very creative :(
    My favourite is my Dragonair named Therru. As in Therru the dragon girl from tales of earthsea

StuartyBoy

The Gliscor Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2010
    I Have Only One Nickname For My Pokemon N That Is
    Gyarados-DragonRage

Pandesal

W - Luna! Trigger!
    Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2011
    It's only in Gen IV where I started thinking up of nicknames for my Pokemon. I usually nickname my team members and that's it. The names I choose aren't very creative, and most of the time they're just named after characters from video games. Though once I name my starter (who I usually keep in my team), I tend to base everyone else's nicknames on it. For example, I nicknamed my Feraligatr in Heart Gold "Wright," so I named everyone else after characters from the Ace Attorney games :B

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
    I don't usually nickname mine, unless I'm going to be using them on wi-fi or if I'm doing some kind of challenge.

I would nickname them all the time, except I can almost never come up with names I actually like. ._. I end up making my boyfriend name them for me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I name anything and everything I catch. Whether it's a cool name, a funny name, or something just plain stupid, it's got to have one.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back