• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo 3DS discussion

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • Porygon-Z, so what'd the next DS have to do with the Wii? I'm sure lots of people had a GBA and not a GCN.

I don't think it's quite that kind of 3D, Jolene. Our analogies to the Virtual Boy are a little off in that regard.
    BUT IF THERE IS NO NEW WII, WHAT WILL WE SEE NEXT TO OUR ROOM'S TV IN THE INEVITABLE 3DS POKEMON GAMES!? DDDDDD:
    Nintendo also claimed the "Gameboy Color" was the successor to the Gameboy, and that the DS Lite and DSi are successors to the DS..
    To be fair, at least there were Gameboy Color-only games on the market. I think they said there would be DSi-only games but either none have been released in the two years (or longer?) that the DSi has existed in any form or they all suck enough to not get media attention. :s And I don't really remember seeing Nintendo saying the DSi was the next step in the DS. More like a bit of an upgrade.

Really, I could care less if there's another DS on the way. I'm actually pretty happy if it means they'll stop with the goddamn micro-upgrades and release a new product already. New functionality is interesting and while I can't say what the rumours claim about the 3DS interests me in the least, when more details are out and they have tech demos or something running on it, maybe it'll be worth paying attention to. Until then I am very content to sit here with my DS.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Pretty much any "news article" with a ? in the title should be instantly dismissed, lulz.

Nintendo also claimed the "Gameboy Color" was the successor to the Gameboy, and that the DS Lite and DSi are successors to the DS..
    One of the three articles had a question mark in the title. I'm not treating them as news, but rumours.

The Game Boy Color was the successor to the original Game Boy. It may have still been 8-bit, but Nintendo built and marketed it as a successor. It wasn't like the Game Boy Pocket. I'm going by intention, not power. The Wii isn't very far off from the GameCube, but it's not a GameCube. The DS, the lite, DSi, and XL are just different models.

I don't really remember back to the lite, but with the DSi I recall the media treating it as a successor but Iwata being quite clear about releasing it simply to get more DSes per household.

BUT IF THERE IS NO NEW WII, WHAT WILL WE SEE NEXT TO OUR ROOM'S TV IN THE INEVITABLE 3DS POKEMON GAMES!? DDDDDD:
    lol

spike6958

TCG Collector
    Years
    • Age 35
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 30, 2021
    I have a feeling that Gen5 of Pokémon will be the main launch title seeing how it's suppost to start at the end of the year, even if it's not I'll be buying the console at launch as I have done with the first release of all Nintendo's handheld, but I really hope they only do one version this time, I'm sick of them releasing 3-4 versions of the same console.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    I heard Pokemon is the only third-party developer to get the 3DS dev kit. Yes, Pokemon IS THIRD-PARTY and TEGRA confirmed that one of their processors is used in 3DS and so did nVIDIA. Also, SONY is already trying to dismiss the 3DS. There's a difference between a cruddy addon like the PLAYSTATION MOVE (which Miyamoto dismissed) and an entirely new console to enter the 8th generation of gaming.

On, an unrelated note... here's something of interest. Original Slot-2 addon, but using DS cartridge? Spoilers because the image is somewhat big, but it's a patent for a new cartridge. Maybe Rumble Pak or extra RAM?

Spoiler:

I stick with extra RAM.

TJgamer

A Pokémon Poet
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2021
    I would have to go with the rumble pack. None of Nintendo's handheld devices have had any rumble feature of any sort.
    The Gameboy Advanced had a accelerometer attachment for certain games, but that's different.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • Here's my problems:

More money to fork out.
    The world is moving too, fast, alright everything will soon be 3D, 4D seems alright but 5D! Here and now, that'll just ruin the whole visual aspect of TV.

However, I am looking forward to a 1st person or 2nd view while playing Pokemon, like that soapbox type game that was in the preview, that'll be AWESOME!

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I would have to go with the rumble pack. None of Nintendo's handheld devices have had any rumble feature of any sort.
    The Gameboy Advanced had a accelerometer attachment for certain games, but that's different.
    I think Metroid Prime Pinball on the DS had rumble. Pokemon Pinball on the GBC had rumble. But..beyond Pinball, nothing. lol It'd be nice to see. I had a GBC rumble pak once. Dunno how that worked

I heard Pokemon is the only third-party developer to get the 3DS dev kit. Yes, Pokemon IS THIRD-PARTY.
    Eh.... not quite. They are Nintendo-exclusive and yet a separate company, like Rare once was. Not a true third-party developer. Maybe "second party" would be more accurate XD

Years
  • Eh.... not quite. They are Nintendo-exclusive and yet a separate company, like Rare once was. Not a true third-party developer. Maybe "second party" would be more accurate XD

'Twould be the word for it. Nintendo hires GameFreak (or in some cases, Genius Sonority) to develop the Pokémon games for them, which are then published by Nintendo and The Pokémon Company. Woohoo!

And yes, Bianca, the Gameboy Color was the successor to the Gameboy. While true, it only offered a new color screen and the infrared communications port, Nintendo had intended it to be the next Gameboy in the line. While the DSi is akin to the Gameboy Color by only offering incremental upgrades, Nintendo did not intend for (or market) it to be the next DS.

And actually, Triforce, the DS Rumble Pak was supported by about 50 games. Most of them didn't have the function enabled by default, though, so not many people knew about the feature.

To be honest, I would not like to see rumble in the next DS unless it's effeciently done. This means minimal power usage and very small size, something akin to a mobile phone system.

But something has also been ringing around in my head: what kind of screen is Nintendo going to use? The old-fasion LCD, AMOLED, or Super AMOLED? Oh, and yes, there is a difference between standard AMOLED ans Super AMOLED. And what resolution is going to be used? It should use something to easily scale DS games on, if games aren't going to be letterboxed, but any resoution is possible (above 256x192, that is).

But I guess we have to wait until E3 to see this device in action.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • And actually, Triforce, the DS Rumble Pak was supported by about 50 games. Most of them didn't have the function enabled by default, though, so not many people knew about the feature.

But something has also been ringing around in my head: what kind of screen is Nintendo going to use? The old-fasion LCD, AMOLED, or Super AMOLED? Oh, and yes, there is a difference between standard AMOLED ans Super AMOLED. And what resolution is going to be used? It should use something to easily scale DS games on, if games aren't going to be letterboxed, but any resoution is possible (above 256x192, that is).
    :o I stand corrected. Had no idea so many used it.

And for resolution. I don't think Nintendo is beyond pillarboxing or stretching. They did it on the GBA or GBC content.

Years
  • ...and TEGRA confirmed that one of their processors is used in 3DS and so did nVIDIA.

I completely overlooked this statement. This isn't true. Tegra isn't confirmed at all. It is confirmed by nVidia that they are/were working with Nintendo on something, but nothing was specified. One of the reasons why (I guess) nVidia made this statement, though, was because Nintendo has been working with AMD/ATI for the Wii and the Gamecube GPUs.

But yeah, Triforce, they'll probably just letterbox it. My only concern is with the touchscreen, though. While true, there would be useless border around the actual input area if running in DS mode, input accuracy is something I'm worried about.

Coin

Years
    • Seen Apr 1, 2010
    I think it's good for Nintendo to continue with production for a couple years or so to perfect it.

I REALLY enjoy my Nintendo Wii and DS Lite combination right now. It's all I need.

InfinIcy

I like Metroids.
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2010
    If they come out with a Metroid game for the 3DS I'd be freaking out since everything would be attacking/shooting at me (unless it's a sidescroller and not first person like the Prime games).

NDS525

-NO SIGNAL-
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2012
    I've heard that it isn't going to be a DS but a successor...

IDK

It will be interesting to see what happens...

Either this will be an
    Nintendo 3DS discussion
    or
    Nintendo 3DS discussion

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I seriously feel as if it was pretty stupid of hem o announce this so early. Are they even trying to sale the DSi XL?

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    They didn't want Japanese journalists to find out about this before Nintendo and the journalists were very close. Nintendo just released it and we'll get it in 2011.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years

• Remember everyone, asking what was the point of releasing the 3DS is the same as asking "What was the point of releasing the GBA when there's GBC?" A more accurate question would be "What was the point of releasing the DSi XL when the next generation is coming around the corner?"

The core DS system was released in 2004, and with little software revisions since, (I have yet to see a game tap any of the increased potential of the DSi, and the DSi shop is severely lacking in content), it's only natural they release the next actual step up in the line as to not become too dated.

Still, the way the handheld in question was described is quite vague, so we best not come to conclusions before we see the console's actual specifications. I just hope that it isn't a high graphics/bad battery life console with funky controls, and that there aren't 6+ different models...

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years

• Remember everyone, asking what was the point of releasing the 3DS is the same as asking "What was the point of releasing the GBA when there's GBC?" A more accurate question would be "What was the point of releasing the DSi XL when the next generation is coming around the corner?"

The core DS system was released in 2004, and with little software revisions since, (I have yet to see a game tap any of the increased potential of the DSi, and the DSi shop is severely lacking in content), it's only natural they release the next actual step up in the line as to not become too dated.

Still, the way the handheld in question was described is quite vague, so we best not come to conclusions before we see the console's actual specifications. I just hope that it isn't a high graphics/bad battery life console with funky controls, and that there aren't 6+ different models...
    Agreed. Then again, they may a GameBoy Miro just before the first DS was released, and a friend got that for his birthday, so I guess even with the knowledge of the 3DS, some might still buy the DSi XL

Back