• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo DS Problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

Is your R, L, or both buttons, experiencing problems?

• Yes, my R Button

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, my L Button

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Yes, both my R & L Buttons

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • No, they both work fine

Votes: 4 18.2%

• Total voters

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
Years
  • I ask because some of my friends and I have been experiencing problems with our DS systems.
    My DS, which is the oldest model that I got when it was first released, has a wonky R Button. It only works 10% of the time, and only if I leave it out of my pocket for a long time. Its been doing this since the DSLite first came out. One of my friends as a DS I bought for him at the same time and both his R & L Buttons don't work. His has been acting up for 2 years. My girlfriend's DSLite, which was bought 2 years ago, is starting to have the same problem as mine except when she leaves it out of her pocket for a while, although her's still works 70% of the time.
    I'm just wondering if this is something strange thats just happening to us or an occurrence that other people are experiencing as well.

piemeup

Pokemon FAQ Master
    Years
  • My friend's ds light's R and L button's dont work, Then he droped it and the screen flew off.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    During the lifetime of my old DS, I had never had this problem. My DS Lite has never had this problem as well.

You might want to inquire with Nintendo about this; if they're still covered by the warranty, Nintendo should replace it free of charge, and if they aren't.... Customer Support should help shed some light on the situation.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Same. It's the L and R, and the hinge with the power light on it. Nothing else has really happened. Oh! except for the power and volume switches getting mashed into the casing so it's hard to use them, but that's a result of cruel and unusual floor hockey...

Missingno.7-4468

The Kazuka Party is for curry!
    Years
  • Well, on my Original DS, my R button stops working ~5% of the time. So I've kinda experienced this. There is also something weird that happens ~1% of the time, and that's if I close it, it goes in and out of sleep mode extremely fast.

Oh, one of my hinges broke. You do not realize how tempted I am to (Try to) smash my DS with a hammer.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • My R button doesn't work all the time unless I press it head on (though it works most of the time otherwise, too). I've never dropped my DS on anything worse than hard carpet and I take really good care of it. I think it's just from overuse, haha. My A button does the same thing.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    My 'R' button doesn't work because my friends accidentally pulled it out of the recharger and forgot to hold on to it.
    Super (b'-')b

On a side note, my 'A' button works fine, but most of it is pushed in so sometimes it is unresponsive.

Tonitonichopchop

Cottton candy lover
    Years
  • This happened to me with my old ds lites R button. I think it broke because I snaked too much on Mario Kart ds :) It was covered by a warranty so I was able to have my ds refurbished and fixed.
    It also happened with my Dsi, but I don't know how that one happened. I think it was factory faulty. That one was fixed under warranty too. If you haven't done anything weird/bad with your ds then send it to Nintendo.

Pani

H e a r t G o l d ♥
    Years
  • The buttons on my DS Lite all work perfectly fine. My father uses my old original DS, and as far as I know he hasn't had any problems with it. They've both been looked after relatively well and are in good shape.

Years
  • It's not bad, but sometimes my L button seems to "not listen". It may just be that way, but I didn't notice it until recently (I was soft reseting my TRU Arceus, and I thought it was broken for a sec >_<)

Silhouette

On my way to Viridian City ♪
    Years
  • Ahaha. I find this thread funny, because it's so true. Yes, my DSi's L button is screwed up, and I dropped it on the R button and broke the spring (or whatever's in there), so every time I have to use the R button, I have to push it back out. Makes Metroid Prime Hunters a PAIN.

Don't even get me started on my GBA SP. -_-

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
  • lolz

My DS stylus won't really work efficiently as the day I've bought my DS. And the silly Up and R button is somewhat hard to press. Maybe because I frequently pressed it, or the temp changes? Either way, it's annoying.

Sasuke.

Hope | Less
    Years
  • My DSi has the same problem in both buttons I've had to almost break them both to get the dust out or whatever it is. My R button is fine now. My L though is Raggy and bent.

Shem

Bored...
    Years
  • Seems like the L and R are the first to go, my Original DS had both the L and R buttons completely gone and now my DS lite is starting to go too. And it costs so much to get it repaired, you would think they would see that these buttons are starting to crap-out and have some kind of deal on the L and R buttons =/

Crystal-Heart

~Black & White~
    Years
  • I've actually never dropped my DS. However, I removed the plastic on the back when I first got it which made the barcode wipe off after a while so GameStop won't take it and my warranty is probably up.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2010
    my friend got its DS Lite R Button not working well, my DSi's problem is after Ive updated it, non of my R4s worked on it as it says error occured ....

Last edited:
    Back