• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Nintendo went to Canada

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2013
    On screw attack website

When it comes to Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't **** around. Yesterday images of the new Pokemon X and Y began circling the internet. The source was an Instagram user named kosthedin who had a friend that worked in a game store and gave him a copy early. However, his fun was short lived as all the pictures were removed by the evening and he posted a picture that simply saying "got Nintendo'd".

Upon further clarification it seems Nintendo sent a representative out to the game store and threatened the store with crippling repercussions. I'm talking like a perpetual walk through a cave overrun by Zubats with no repel. In an attempt to spare his friend a fate worse than death, kosthedin gave the game back to Nintendo. I'm sure we'll hear more details soon, but I can't imagine the employee will be keeping his job.

Especially considering that this is Nintendo's first simultaneous world wide Pokemon launch. On the plus side, he'll have plenty of extra time to play Pokemon.

Years
  • I'm a bit disappointed with canada's broken street release. I think it quite disrespectful for Mr.Junichi Masuda and his team. They work so hard for the game to be released worldwide. Even if its just a game, they should respect others effort in the product they are trying to sell.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    FOr me I preordered on Amazon Canada and didn't got my game, I think it was only EBGames that broke it. Still say I will get my copy for the 18 or 19 for me tho.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • That doesn't sounds very legitimate. Why would they "fly someone down" to a tiny game store release when they have countless North American representatives in Canada. Even sending one of them sounds like overkill.

Not to mention its not that big a deal.. This happens regularly with games all the time. I've worked at places where I've had to sell games that I new wernt supposed to be on sale yet.

Not to mention Nintendo doesn't have the power (much less the political power, considering this is Canada ..) to push a small store around.

There are other problems with the story, but I don't feal like typing em

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Is there a source for this story?

I can't really imagine Nintendo making him give his game copy back, but I'm sure they did threaten him with legal action unless he removed all of the pictures & spoilers. That happens pretty frequently, and all they'd need to do was send a letter.

EDIT // Oops, never mind -- I went to see his Instagram and that is indeed what he said happened. I wonder if that's true -- it still seems really extreme to me and doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Nintendo's part to take the game. As someone else said, games get leaked all the time, and the person who receives the game didn't do anything wrong really -- they just got lucky. Giving the game back doesn't get those leaks off the Internet. I can definitely see his friend getting fired, though. And unfortunately, that part is his fault -- if he had just gotten the game & played it without sharing, his friend wouldn't be in any trouble anyways.

Last edited:

Light Yagami

Compulsive Battler#1
    Years
  • That doesn't sounds very legitimate. Why would they "fly someone down" to a tiny game store release when they have countless North American representatives in Canada. Even sending one of them sounds like overkill.

Not to mention its not that big a deal.. This happens regularly with games all the time. I've worked at places where I've had to sell games that I new wernt supposed to be on sale yet.

Not to mention Nintendo doesn't have the power (much less the political power, considering this is Canada ..) to push a small store around.

There are other problems with the story, but I don't feal like typing em

I work for a certain video game retailer and breaking a street date has SERIOUS repercussions for a store, or chain. Losing game licenses is no joke, and there are contracts signed that could seriously hurt a store or even put it out of business.

Also, kosthedin probably received a big letter or email from Nintendo that scared the pee out of him. They probably let him keep his copy though, i don't see the point in taking it from him when it is clear others have it.

PS-it's Canada* That seriously messed with my head for a sec lol

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Bull freaking crap. They can't take his copy because he bought it legally. I doubt someone from nintendo flew to freaking canada for this. And for everyone who says this is disrespectful to GF please don't be such children. Nintendo loves it when this happens and it's leaked. They don't loose money and everyday until the launch this is what everybody keeps talking about. They just got free advertisement and this doesn't effect their bottom line at all. Now if nintendo fined the store that's something I'd believe.

The problem is when you get something early you don't go blabbing to everyone and their mothers on where you got it from.

I don't believe the guys story one bit

pedrito3_poke

Banana
    Years
    • Seen Jul 25, 2022
    The problem is when you get something early you don't go blabbing to everyone and their mothers on where you got it from.

Exactly, this whole story would only make sense if the dude had some personal issues with the shop owner or anything like that lol

I don't understand how so much people believe this. It just sounds straight up stupid.

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    Bull freaking crap. They can't take his copy because he bought it legally. I doubt someone from nintendo flew to freaking canada for this.

Haha right? What would they do, show up at his house & demand he hand over the game? I think he got a cease & desist and made the rest up so people stopped bothering him about it.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    They probably lost money when people started seeing some of the horrid pokemon that were leaked that Nintendo were to scared to show before the release.

Dude all of the Pokemon are freakin awesome, especially the megas

atomtanned

Delinquent
    Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2022
    They probably lost money when people started seeing some of the horrid pokemon that were leaked that Nintendo were to scared to show before the release.

They're absolutely not going to lose money. Are you joking? This is an incredibly hyped release. It got fantastic reviews. If anything, the leaks made people more excited.

Ari Niko

Sincerity
    Years
  • Aw, poor Canadian guy.
    Well hopefully things work out for the friends and Nintendo doesn't have to go ape ****

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    On screw attack website

When it comes to Pokemon, Nintendo doesn't **** around. Yesterday images of the new Pokemon X and Y began circling the internet. The source was an Instagram user named kosthedin who had a friend that worked in a game store and gave him a copy early. However, his fun was short lived as all the pictures were removed by the evening and he posted a picture that simply saying "got Nintendo'd".

Upon further clarification it seems Nintendo sent a representative out to the game store and threatened the store with crippling repercussions. I'm talking like a perpetual walk through a cave overrun by Zubats with no repel. In an attempt to spare his friend a fate worse than death, kosthedin gave the game back to Nintendo. I'm sure we'll hear more details soon, but I can't imagine the employee will be keeping his job.

Especially considering that this is Nintendo's first simultaneous world wide Pokemon launch. On the plus side, he'll have plenty of extra time to play Pokemon.

Well , Nintendo doing the right thing !!!
    I mean , It suppose to be World-wide release .
    But Since Canada release it early , All the excitement about world-wide release gone to hell.
    If I was in Nintendo's place then I would have burn the whole store .

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • Bull freaking crap. They can't take his copy because he bought it legally. I doubt someone from nintendo flew to freaking canada for this. And for everyone who says this is disrespectful to GF please don't be such children. Nintendo loves it when this happens and it's leaked. They don't loose money and everyday until the launch this is what everybody keeps talking about. They just got free advertisement and this doesn't effect their bottom line at all. Now if nintendo fined the store that's something I'd believe.

The didn't take his copy, he return it so the owner won't get it trouble. There's a big difference. From Kosthedin's instagram; "I gave up my copy of the game to try and help keep the local game shop out of trouble and to keep my friend from losing his job."

The story is far from bull****, a lot of people from where Kosthedin has been pretty much badmouthing him for being an idiot posting leaks on instagram with his picture and even reveal on his facebook page where he got the game. Nintendo wouldn't have come to Canada if he stay Anon and posted leaks like Zar, because they wouldn't have know what store leak the game. Kosh made it too easy by giving away the name of the store which gave Nintendo a chance to just send a representative there. Nintendo wouldn't have wasted resources trying to find out what store leak if Kosh remain anon and didn't reveal to the WHOLE facebook community what store it was.

Years
    • Seen Aug 12, 2023

It doesn't matter if leaks happen "all the time", because they're not suppose to, and I'm certain that the leaks weren't part of Nintendo's plan. They wanted a worldwide release, and because of the leaks that happened in Canada and Italy, there's gonna be less of a chance of a worldwide release in the future (I didn't say no chance, just less of a chance). I'm honestly staying away from the leaked info a bit because I'm not really a supporter of it, and I don't want to spoil some of it for myself. That's what the strategy guide is for :D

Years
  • Well , Nintendo doing the right thing !!!
    I mean , It suppose to be World-wide release .
    But Since Canada release it early , All the excitement about world-wide release gone to hell.
    If I was in Nintendo's place then I would have burn the whole store .
    I wouldn't really quite say it's gone to hell because after all, Nintendo has stopped a few of the leakers so that it doesn't "go to hell" at all.

Years
  • I totally agree. The leaks are not supposed to happen and are against the contracts that retailers have with Nintendo. Just because similar things have happened before doesn't mean you just throw up your hands and say 'Oh well, guess that's just the way it is.' and expect Nintendo to just let this all roll off their backs like water off a duck.

It doesn't matter if leaks happen "all the time", because they're not suppose to, and I'm certain that the leaks weren't part of Nintendo's plan. They wanted a worldwide release, and because of the leaks that happened in Canada and Italy, there's gonna be less of a chance of a worldwide release in the future (I didn't say no chance, just less of a chance). I'm honestly staying away from the leaked info a bit because I'm not really a supporter of it, and I don't want to spoil some of it for myself. That's what the strategy guide is for :D

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I wouldn't really quite say it's gone to hell because after all, Nintendo has stopped a few of the leakers so that it doesn't "go to hell" at all.

Ya , But a lot of important spoiler is already out !!!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I wanted people to start leaking this on the 12th while we were all playing it...not before...that way we could all have shared what we've found and help each other find a Pokémon we like...or discover them on our own.

Back