• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

North Korean leader Kim Jong Il dead at 69

Years
    "Kim Jong-un is a pale reflection of his father and grandfather. He has not had the decades of grooming and securing of a power base that Jong-il enjoyed before assuming control from his father," said Bruce Klingner, an Asia policy analyst at the Heritage Foundation in Washington.
    "(He) may feel it necessary in the future to precipitate a crisis to prove his mettle to other senior leaders or deflect attention from the regime's failings."
    Adding that blurb from the BBC. Not good at all.

Kim J Il was a fairly timid fellow, he mainly avoided trouble when he could, and did the bare minimum to maintain what his father had done. What happens next is probably going to be interesting.

I wouldn't worry about it, team America is on it.

A timid fellow who threatened nuclear war and marshaled an army of a million soldiers? Not really.

Sweet Candace

So Awesome! /)^ɛ^(\
    Years
    This might help North Korea for the better and turn their country around and hopefully become a more peaceful country as a result.

I just hope that we can avoid certain disaster as North Korea gets it's new leader.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    This transition period may be a window of opportunity for an uprising. Yes, that would be violent and bloody, but I'm sure some people are willing to risk their lives to liberate their country from oppression.

Any thoughts on that?

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
    Most of the media has been showing the majority of N. Koreans as being saddened by his death. Wether this is just media manipulation, or Koreans are truly saddened about his passing I don't really know.

Still, NK is probably wanted by both China and S. Korea. Should **** hit the fan, both of these countries would be neck deep in it. (China for expansion purposes, S. Korea for reunification and/or payback from all the crap that NK has been doing to them.)

Years
    Most of the media has been showing the majority of N. Koreans as being saddened by his death. Wether this is just media manipulation, or Koreans are truly saddened about his passing I don't really know.

It's North Korea. The cult of personality around Kim Jong Il and his Father is like no other. It's all manipulation.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018

Still, NK is probably wanted by both China and S. Korea. Should **** hit the fan, both of these countries would be neck deep in it. (China for expansion purposes, S. Korea for reunification and/or payback from all the crap that NK has been doing to them.)

I found out that his son and successor received a western education. Maybe that will make his reign at least little more open in regards to personal freedom for the North Korean people.

Of course everyone has to weep. It's probably a crime not to do so.

Years
    Also, there's a few scattered reports that Jong Un's uncle, Chang Sung-taek will act as a regent until Jong Un is ready/old enough to lead. It will be interesting to see if Taek lets go of his power when Jong Un is ready.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
    Those videos are incredibly hilarious, and I don't think they could have found even worse actons even trying. But hey, the sad, sad citizens mourn the death of their leader. All hail the new Kim!

Oh, and I absolutely love the cause of his death: a heart attack because of "extreme physical effort" while he was working, on his train. Are they so low on energy that he had to personally push the train to get it moving, or what?

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Fixed for you, Hikari10, as I feel that Kim Jong-Il doesn't deserve peace in his death, what with everything he did to make life in NK miserable.

Anyhow, if his son does end up causing WW3, I'm hoping that he suffers the same fate as Adolf Hitler: Death by his own hands. Or he could be assassinated by someone, or tried & hung for those crimes. Either way is fine with me.
    North Korea would not start WW3, USA would start WW3, if they have not already done so. North Korea does not go around policing other countries. USA does.

Your own words sound so bloodthirsty, you already want someone to start a war, and die at their own hands. Who are you to judge someone who has said nothing. His son has not spoken a single word to the world as of yet, and you are already wishing ill on him. You are wishing for the death of someone you do not even know.

Adding that blurb from the BBC. Not good at all.

A timid fellow who threatened nuclear war and marshaled an army of a million soldiers? Not really.
    He never made threats, he only stated that he would defend his country against democracy. America makes far greater threats than North Korea, and has far more Nukes.

Last edited:
    Years
    He never made threats, he only stated that he would defend his country against democracy. America makes far greater threats than North Korea, and has far more Nukes.

Do you even know what you're talking about? All those missile tests last summer to intimidate Japan and South Korea, shelling S. Korean possessions, and taking journalists captive, sentencing them to hard labor?

Also, don't start anything in this thread.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012

Do you even know what you're talking about? All those missile tests last summer to intimidate Japan and South Korea, shelling S. Korean possessions, and taking journalists captive, sentencing them to hard labor?

Also, don't start anything in this thread.
    How do you respond to America and Japan sending journalists to north korea, and then editing their documentaries to badly reflect north korea. Every push has a shove.

Years
    How do you respond to America and Japan sending journalists to north korea, and then editing their documentaries to badly reflect north korea. Every push has a shove.

That's not an appropriate response to journalists filming a documentary, and it's not a push. Don't justify such extremism. And they were there to show what it's like to live there. Meaning, they were there to expose the atrocious abuse of human rights and the fanaticism of the ruling communist party.

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012

That's not an appropriate response to journalists filming a documentary, and it's not a push. Don't justify such extremism. And they were there to show what it's like to live there. Meaning, they were there to expose the atrocious abuse of human rights and the fanaticism of the ruling communist party.

I will simply state, that Kim Jong Il does not deserve to die, and that it is easy for a westerner to judge other nations, without knowing the details.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zet

Years
    What are you talking about? you could find about a million threats of war(by north korea, and just this year) over south korea doing something. Such as military training on an island, and just recently... Christmas lights.

It seems like you're just trying to either troll people or just start a flame war.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Then I will respond to the stuff that you've told me.

North Korea would not start WW3, USA would start WW3, if they have not already done so. North Korea does not go around policing other countries. USA does.

Your own words sound so bloodthirsty, you already want someone to start a war, and die at their own hands. Who are you to judge someone who has said nothing. His son has not spoken a single word to the world as of yet, and you are already wishing ill on him. You are wishing for the death of someone you do not even know. .

I didn't say that his son will start WW3. I've stated very clearly that I would like for him to die by his own hands, or to be assassinated or tried for his crimes, IF, & only if, he actually starts it in the first place. If he leaves the world well enough alone, that's all fine & dandy. We could happily move on with our lives. I haven't have much certainty within my words.

On the other hand, you sound very certain that America will start WW3. I just want you to know, is that you shouldn't judge things based on a country's behavior, as nothing that we're all saying is going to be set in stone, here. This is called jumping to conclusions, & I'm very certain that this is frowned upon in this part of the forums. America polices the world for a real good reason: There has to be someone that keeps order around the world in check. Otherwise, this whole world will end up falling into a rift of chaos & anarchy. If no one ends up being a jerk for a ruler, then everyone should at least be content. I'm very sure that nobody would like being ruled by a tyrant, would they? & if they started making threats around the world, that's definitely going to provoke a response.

So you see, if the rulers don't start threatening each other & the world, then you've got peace for the world.

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2011

Your own words sound so bloodthirsty, you already want someone to start a war, and die at their own hands. Who are you to judge someone who has said nothing. His son has not spoken a single word to the world as of yet, and you are already wishing ill on him. You are wishing for the death of someone you do not even know.

Well, if America starts WW3, then the USA would look like total pricks, and piss off people.

If USA waits for N.Korea to push the red button, either we're screwed or USA can still look like asses for not helping the people before it happened.

And if USA acts after the missiles are launched and people are killed, USA will STILL look like asses because they're acting like heroes after pussying out...

There's no winning, is there now?

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
    The only thing I'm thinking about now is...

What will happen to North Korea?
    What will happen to South Korea?
    What will happen to the neighbouring countries?
    What will happen to the entire world?

There are too many unanswered questions at this point. Lots of things are unpredictable. This is probably one of them.

There are three possiblilities on what could happen:
    1. Kin Jong Un decides that what his father and grandfather (and Soviet Russia) did was wrong on so many levels, so he decides to take down the demilitarization zone and reunifies Korea under the South Korean government, with a little help from the United States and Europe
    2. He declares war on South Korea (and possibly China), and only the United States and Europe can stop his wrath (in other words, he becomes just like Adolf Hitler and Saddam Hussein)
    3. The people of North Korea decide that he is an idiot and decide to overthrow him
    This might help North Korea for the better and turn their country around and hopefully become a more peaceful country as a result.

I just hope that we can avoid certain disaster as North Korea gets it's new leader.

Agreed, the country has caused enough trouble as it is, wither way, the United Nations will most likely be watching them very heavily as the new leader takes the helm.

Last edited:
    Back