• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen NPCs, Towns... Pokemon lost its feel?

_Prince_

Pikachu?
Years
  • You can't expect pokemon to be stuck in the late 1990's forever, the world advances and so is pokemon. I really do not desire to play a game which hasn't changed or isn't offering something new. Changes are often good and invigorating. I'm quite liking how b/w are shaping out.

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
    Years
  • This is supposed to be a region rather distant from the previous four regions...rumors abound that this region is actually based on the American west coast. so it's understandably much different both culturally and technologically from the Hoenn/Johto/Kanto/Sinnoh continent. :P

If implemented well, it will lose the traditional feel, but gain a newer, fresher one in the process. :D

Yay! If that's true, my home town will be in it!

I do agree that pokemon has lost it's feel. I was actually hoping they'd keep 493, and not 572. :(

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I much prefer the idea of an urbanized, technologically advanced region to that of one full of little farms and tiny villages inhabited by about 6 people. It all seemed a bit... twee. For me this is a step in the right direction, in fact I would be over the moon if the next generation was about space exploration and alien-pokémon like Deoxys, technology intrigues me. Tiny farming communities seem a little too... I don't know. I don't mind unrealisticness, I like unrealisticness.

Sage Harpuia

Hey, listen
    Years
  • Hoenn brought up a lot of technology in one platter which further advanced into D/P/Pt.

You are right on Sinnoh, but Hoen was the one with wild nature: its only big town was Rustboro, the others were covered in grass; instead Kanto had Saffron, Celadon, Vermillion (and on HG/SS Pewter).
    Returning on topic, in B&W there will be not only urban area but also classic area, like the ones shown by the pics of the starter city and one of the new screens.
    Plus I'm happy about the mix of urban and rural area.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Yeah, It dosen't feel as it used to, I don't like the fact that near enough EVERYTHING is high-tech and 3D it just feels like it's going slightly too far, yeah its going to happen but I feel that it shoudn't, HG/SS we're far enough with pokemon following you, I think they should keep it as it currently is (With HG/SS) and if they made a R/S remake I HOPE it's not going to be like the Black & White graphics.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • In actual fact I quite loved all the new things.
    Everything's got to evolve one day, so you expect the game to be stuck in the RBY's era?
    No will do.
    Novelties have to be done to keep up with new generations, and not to lose out to other games.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • You are right on Sinnoh, but Hoen was the one with wild nature: its only big town was Rustboro, the others were covered in grass; instead Kanto had Saffron, Celadon, Vermillion (and on HG/SS Pewter).
    Returning on topic, in B&W there will be not only urban area but also classic area, like the ones shown by the pics of the starter city and one of the new screens.
    Plus I'm happy about the mix of urban and rural area.

Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck). How that works, I don't know - Pokemon doesn't have roads after all! The anime, yeah, but not the games lol

The PokeNav was also advanced in comparison to the PokeGear. Contests really added a more modernized touch, too. The wild life is really nice in Hoenn; I still felt it was more advanced in technology, though.

I just hope the graphics are improved xD and that the screenshots we've seen are really deteriorated quality-wise. It looks terrible atm.

Years
  • At first I did feel as if it was losing the traditional feel, but it's actually a good thing. I like that we are seeing a growth of technology, and I like how they are adding big cities, bridges with cars and trucks, etc. It helps keep Pokemon up with this generation.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck). How that works, I don't know - Pokemon doesn't have roads after all! The anime, yeah, but not the games lol

The PokeNav was also advanced in comparison to the PokeGear. Contests really added a more modernized touch, too. The wild life is really nice in Hoenn; I still felt it was more advanced in technology, though.

I just hope the graphics are improved xD and that the screenshots we've seen are really deteriorated quality-wise. It looks terrible atm.

You do realise many of those screenshots are low quality JPEGS right? the actual screens would be clear like all other Pokemon games.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hoenn was the first to introduce on-land, modern-looking vehicles (the moving truck).
    Nope, Hoenn isn't the first actually. Granted this was hidden, but trucks have been around since R/B/Y! http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Truck#Rumors It is there and can be seen as an easter egg (it may not be modern-looking but that's more due to the graphics of the time =P). Furthermore it reappeared in FR/LG as well. (The Mew however did not. ;p)

Note also that there's a LOT of the game we haven't seen yet. We've got mostly pics from one city but we don't know what the rest of the region looks like. (We do have one pic of what seems to the be protagonist's hometown though which seems much smaller and less 'HIGH-TECHNICAL' though =P).

And to be honest the more 'advanced' look seems more due to an enhanced ability in programming and whatnot as well to at least some extent - don't forget that R/B/Y had cities and all as well, just now part with a few NPCs running off to work. I'd say more but maybe later. But all we have are a few pictures/videos which are likely beta even - so to judge its 'feel' now seems silly to me. =/

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    Although, I noticed something, as the male protagonist is walking through town, all the NPC's do look the same, all in fancy suits, almost like they are all going to a meeting! Could this perhaps mean that half of Isshu is a city like region? I sure hope not.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • I never noticed the truck in R/B/Y. I just noticed it in Hoenn since it stood out so much.

Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :s I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.

The characters look flat, too.

town.png

Everything else is 3D but the characters look flat lol It's really awkward o_o Like Paper Mario (only, Paper Mario was awesome.)

The characters, the way they are now, seem really awkward and misplaced. I dunno how to explain it.

and I figured the quality was better :| I said that twice. I just had a .01% doubt.

MistahDude

Primate Pokemon Master
    Years
  • For whoever said NPCs always look the same, that's true, but at least they were spread out. I see the same NPCs at least three times in that first piccy o_o It's a bit redundant; I'm sure they could've been more creative this time around, since their repetitive NPCs are boring.

I also hope the screenies on Serebii are deterioriated quality-wise. If the game's quality isn't drastically better, I'm disappointed there, too. At the moment, it looks choppy and pixely. Again, pretty sure it's going to look better, but it looks raunchy for now.

Kanto and Johto had the same feel for me. Hoenn brought up a lot of technology in one platter which further advanced into D/P/Pt. I never finished Hoenn or Sinnoh games because of various reasons, but one being that they didn't feel like they should. Nothing attached me. The fact they urbanized it so much made it too similar to the real world. I play Pokemon games for how fantastical it is and how non-realistic they are. Pokemon are simply animals, and up until Hoenn, they lived in a world similar to the 1900s without depression and with a few obligatory technical aspects, like electricity, instant-heal centres, etc. There weren't cars, tall buildings, or over-crowded streets, though. That's more like today's world. If I want to experience that, I'll just go outside - without my DS.

It's just too realistic now. Pokemon and fantasy games are attaching to a lot of people because of how non-realistic and how anti-urban they are... in the case of Pokemon, were. To suddenly connect it so suddenly to the real world made it lose its charm of being fiction. Now it's just animals used to make money and become famous in an overly-urbanized, similar-to-the-real-world region. Is that not like real-day rooster fights? Same concept; one's pit against the other for cash in an underground place. The Team Rocket of society lol

Dunno. Basically, I don't like how realistic it's become. It killed the charm Pokemon had for me.

If Zelda suddenly became overly-urbanized and technology became wide-spread, I wouldn't play it either. Zelda's charm is being medieval. Repetitive as it may become, they always add something to the new games to keep it new, fresh, and entertaining. I'm sure Pokemon could have done the same. They just killed it for me lol

Pokemon was never made as a fantasy game. It was made as an RPG with super powered animals.

I never noticed the truck in R/B/Y. I just noticed it in Hoenn since it stood out so much.

Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :s I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.

The characters look flat, too.

town.png

Everything else is 3D but the characters look flat lol It's really awkward o_o Like Paper Mario (only, Paper Mario was awesome.)

The characters, the way they are now, seem really awkward and misplaced. I dunno how to explain it.

and I figured the quality was better :| I said that twice. I just had a .01% doubt.

Why would you want people to be 3D? That would be weird and uncomfortable!

You do realise many of those screenshots are low quality JPEGS right? the actual screens would be clear like all other Pokemon games.

If you want to see better quality shots of some of these areas, then watch some of the pokemon sunday footage.

Yay! If that's true, my home town will be in it!

I do agree that pokemon has lost it's feel. I was actually hoping they'd keep 493, and not 572. :(

You do know how many pokemon they have already pre-drawn right? Tens of thousands!

Yeah, It dosen't feel as it used to, I don't like the fact that near enough EVERYTHING is high-tech and 3D it just feels like it's going slightly too far, yeah its going to happen but I feel that it shoudn't, HG/SS we're far enough with pokemon following you, I think they should keep it as it currently is (With HG/SS) and if they made a R/S remake I HOPE it's not going to be like the Black & White graphics.

Not everything is 3D. The people and the pokemon in battles arent.

Last edited:

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • I'm not really seeing where people are getting the whole "Pokémon is way too high tech now" thing from. There's technology in Pokémon we don't have in this modern world (hello, Pokéballs? Being able to store animals on a PC?) in the same way that modern technology isn't as common in the games as it is in society. The characters still ride bikes instead of using cars or motorcycles to get places and boats instead of planes to travel long distances (with the exception of flying on a Pokémon, obviously). Pokégears and Pokétches don't have any technology that surpasses anything already available on modern cellphones. Heck, they still use carrier pigeons (or what have you) to deliver mail instead of email.
    Maybe something really obvious is going over my head, but I don't see like, flying cars and meals in pill form around.

GunSaberSeraph

Durandal of the Devic Era
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2016
    I'm not really seeing where people are getting the whole "Pokémon is way too high tech now" thing from. There's technology in Pokémon we don't have in this modern world (hello, Pokéballs? Being able to store animals on a PC?) in the same way that modern technology isn't as common in the games as it is in society. The characters still ride bikes instead of using cars or motorcycles to get places and boats instead of planes to travel long distances (with the exception of flying on a Pokémon, obviously). Pokégears and Pokétches don't have any technology that surpasses anything already available on modern cellphones. Heck, they still use carrier pigeons (or what have you) to deliver mail instead of email.
    Maybe something really obvious is going over my head, but I don't see like, flying cars and meals in pill form around.

Actually, the professors receive email if you check their in-game PCs, but your point still stands.

An-chan

Whoops.
    Years

• Still. Not a fan of how high-tech it's becoming :s I'll never finish Pearl because it's just too Sci-Fi'ish (evil team wanting to wipe out Earth or w/e and praising space demi-Gods). I never liked the 3D lighthouse in HGSS either, so having 3D towns is really going to kill the "fun" I'll have playing. Not a fan of those graphics.

First of all, sci-fi implies that it has actual fictional technology in it. Yes, Pokémon does have fictional technology in it, but that's how it's been from the beginning. You know, Poké balls, the devices Bill has been building since first Gen, being able to store Pokémon on computers, that stuff. However, all the other technology is pretty much the same than it is in the real world. If you say DPPt is sci-fi, then RBY was also sci-fi. Just because you refuse to see it doesn't mean it's there.

That said, I repeat what I said earlier: Pokémon was a representation of the real world from the beginning. The fact you saw it as a surreal-kind-of world that's detached from the real world doesn't mean that was ever true. It was made to resemble the Japan of Tajiri's childhood from the beginning. For the people who made the game - and a large part of the people who played it, too - it was the real world with Pokémon included. And that's what it still is. If you compare Pokémon battling to cockfights now, then you should have compared them to that from the beginning, because the idea is still the same, just as the setting is: you battle animals and get monies when you win. That's how it was from the beginning.

Also, I really don't see how the 3D would take away any fun. If you don't like them, then that's that. There are things I don't like about games sometimes, but I just have to get over it and enjoy the game. I think what we've seen so far has looked pretty gorgeous, especially the battles and Hiun City. Just because there are cars and skyscrapers doesn't mean the whole game is un-Pokémon-y. That's what the world looks like these days - if you add a carefree, cartoon-y touch to it.

loliwin

→ Level 69
    Years
  • There was a time that Pokemon needed to evolve and not be the same stuff all over again. I wouldnt like playing games that looked the same for 20 years.. :(

Back