• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • New games, probably new region, and probably new starters... Will they still go with the traditional Fire/Water/Grass starter, or will they change things up a bit?

SPECULATE AWAY :D

pkmin3033

Well, they've not deviated from the Fire/Water/Grass formula before and I can't see that changing now...it's pretty much a tradition, and as many people would complain as would rejoice.

I'm more interested in what forms the starters will take...I want at least one bird. A grass-type bird would be very interesting, since we've not had one of those yet.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Looking at the artwork, there appear to be at least a couple of Gen I/II Pokémon living in the region, meaning we won't get an entirely new set of Pokémon like we saw in generation V. Good chance Chikorita, Cyndaquil and Totodile are going to make a reappearance, as they did with the Kanto starters in Kalos.

We haven't seen any Gen VII Pokémon yet, (Okay, admittedly we can't even say whether it will be of a seventh generation yet.) but I don't think they will refrain from using the same old grass/fire/water formula again.

Years
  • I think it'll be the typical Grass/Fire/Water trio again, but it'll be interesting to see how designs turn out.

For the Fire-type, I'm probably expecting another connection to an animal in the Chinese Zodiac so maybe I'm hoping for a rabbit this time. Water will probably be another amphibious creature (since that's the theme with all Water starters so far) and for Grass, a reptile again would seem stale because Chespin breaking that streak means there could be new design potentials.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Oh great just what we need.. an all new fire rabbit.

I think they'll keep the formula that works but I hope that they come up with cool starters with potential and not just something average.

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Oh great just what we need.. an all new fire rabbit.

I think they'll keep the formula that works but I hope that they come up with cool starters with potential and not just something average.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think it'll be the typical Grass/Fire/Water trio again, but it'll be interesting to see how designs turn out.

For the Fire-type, I'm probably expecting another connection to an animal in the Chinese Zodiac so maybe I'm hoping for a rabbit this time. Water will probably be another amphibious creature (since that's the theme with all Water starters so far) and for Grass, a reptile again would seem stale because Chespin breaking that streak means there could be new design potentials.
    I'm hoping for a snake fire starter.

What do you mean by amphibious? If you mean in the biological sense, that not true at all. Squirtle is a reptile (with a mammalian tail...) and so is Totodile (minus the mammalian tail), Mudkip is an amphibian, Piplup is a bird, Oshawott is a mammal, and Froakie is an amphibian.
    I'll like a dolphin or another bird base pokemon to even up the ratios.
    I'll also like a grass bird starter (been wanting one since Gen IV after we had gotten Torchic and Piplup).

Years
  • What I mean by "amphibious" (or "semi-aquatic") is a creature that is active both on land and in the water, and it's been a common trend with Water-type starter designs.

Years
  • Whilst I am certain we'll see the usual sort of starter trio, I wouldn't expect them to just go with the obvious. The one thing you can guarantee they'll do is pick something rather random.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    It's obviously going to be Grass/Water/Fire, but if I were to choose I'd prefer something different which is Psychic/Dark/Fighting.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I really hope they drop fighting. I love fighting types, but I am really sick of them being starters. I don't think they will drop the basic Fire/Grass/Water.

I want a rabbit starter for sure. Maybe a true Kangaroo and an Otter. I don't know though. Most starters are usually based off well know animals. Turtles, Pigs, Frogs, snakes, ect.

What I want to see is maybe Grass/Fairy, Fire/Poison and Water/Psychic

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I think it would be cool to change up the starter types from the traditional Grass/Water/Fire types. It can still be equally balanced using different types such as Psychic/Dark/Fighting.

Years
    • Seen Jan 29, 2022
    Fire Starter Possibilities: - All fire starters are based off of the Chinese zodiac- here are the signs that are left
    Ox
    Tiger
    Rabbit
    Sheep
    Horse (Fire Horse - Ponyta)
    Snake

Water Starter Possibilities: - All water starters need the water to survive, but can survive on land as well
    Beavers
    Duck (Overused - Unlikely)
    Platypus? (Psyduck?)
    Salamander? (Mudkip? - I know he is an Axolotl)
    Snake? (Like A water snake of some sort)
    Mosquito? (No mosquito Pokemon yet- born in the water... Could it start as a larvae?)
    Snail
    Water Strider (Surskit)

Grass Starters Possibilities: - All grass starters are prehistoric animals in some way... Its almost as if these starters are going through time starting with dinosaurs, and with X and Y, going onto early mammals
    Agilodocodon
    Alphadon (For their teeth - could be a cool concept)
    Cronopio
    Crusafontia
    Eomaia (Had two layers of fur - cool concepts)
    Fruitafossor (Known for digging... ground/grass?)
    Hadrocodium (Had a huge brain for how early it lived and how small it was...)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Well, they've not deviated from the Fire/Water/Grass formula before and I can't see that changing now...it's pretty much a tradition, and as many people would complain as would rejoice.

I'm more interested in what forms the starters will take...I want at least one bird. A grass-type bird would be very interesting, since we've not had one of those yet.

I'm hoping for a grass type bird too. Since Torchic and Piplup were both my favourite starters in their gen and I feel like I haven't been giving the grass typing a fair shake when it comes to choosing starters. (So far the only time I've picked the grass starter first was Chikorita in the 2nd gen)

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I want Grass/Water/Fire... I don't want another set of types... This is the one thing they don't have to change in my opinion.

Since the speculation of Sabrewulf238, I want an Ox... I would like Rabbit too but I feel like it's gonna be Fire/Fight XD Water starter? Ohh a Beaver :D For the Grass I really don't know..

Years
  • Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that they deviate from the normal grass/water/fire starter, it would be nice to see something different for once, maybe something that ties in with the theme of the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    WHat kind of Grass Type Pokemon could relate to the Sun and Moon ? Because I can see a Fire starter based on the Sun and a Water Starter based on the Moon.

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
  • Honestly, I'm kind of hoping that they deviate from the normal grass/water/fire starter, it would be nice to see something different for once, maybe something that ties in with the theme of the game.

If there is no Dog Starter. I'm transferring an Eevee over from Poke Bank.

Back