• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

Z25

Team Player
Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I did like the ones shown in the fake CoroCoro scan, but I feel like their eyes were all drawn very similarly to each other.

As for that owl, I didn't really like its design and even if it was real I definitely would not have chosen it. A dolphin is something I'd prefer to see as a regular Pokemon and not a starter. But as for the rabbit, that would be the design I would have chosen if the Chinese Zodiac pattern is still there.

With the dolphin, rabbit, and owl, I could almost see them all evolve once( but this wouldn't happen probably) like Uranium's starters, but then get megas.

Just because all 3 of those pokemon could be one stage mons. However that probably won't happen but be an interesting change.

I also agree that the coro coro starter's eyes needed work. The starters usually have very distinct expressions from each other.

The one thing that automatically made the coro coro leak fake to me, was the fact that it used the same exact picture from the fountain in the trailer. If the other images were new, then this wouldn't be featured as it's an old image. They would do a different angle at least.

I liked the look of that town though.

The graphics improvements is one thing I can't wait to see! Especially in mon designs. It should be really interesting to see what comes with this game, starters, and all!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    In honor of the series's 20th anniversary, they will grace us by returning to the time-honored tradition of our Fire starter evolving into a Fire/Fighting Type.

But really though I have no preferences. There are lots of things I want, like a dolphin Pokémon, or a Fire/Electric lion, or hummingbird, or a pancake Pokémon (I'm not joking), but all of those don't necessarily have to be starters. So long as the starters have solid concepts I'll be satisfied.

Years
  • The starters tend to be the Pokemon that the most time is put into regarding designs, which explains why they all tend to have a distinct appearance between all three members of each trio.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • See this is why I don't necessarily like when poke tubers cover leaks( especially if it's GCPM11, but that's for a multitude of reasons that do not need to be discussed here, or are relevant).

But everyone thinks that there was just the grass owl. This is not the case though. I sent the full story details to a few people across the internet.( on pokemon sites or twitter). I'll link my pics of them from a imgurr album I made for it.
    https://imgur.com/a/dJHef

Oh those two starters! Yeah, I've seen those other images before. I didn't know they were suppose to be a rabbit and dolphin thing respectively. GCPM11 definitely did not cover those two alongside with the grass owl. I'll have to see their full evolutionary lines in order for me to decide which one I like more.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Oh those two starters! Yeah, I've seen those other images before. I didn't know they were suppose to be a rabbit and dolphin thing respectively. GCPM11 definitely did not cover those two alongside with the grass owl. I'll have to see their full evolutionary lines in order for me to decide which one I like more.

Yeah, I don't know hwy, but most people only focused on the owl, or didn't see the other images. I guess it's because the owl sticks out.

I didn't see it as a rabbit until I saw comments pointing out how it could be one, and they made enough sense.

I'm not convinced that's a dolphin, but it could be a baby dolphin I guess. It gave me a giant tadpole feel at first. The evolutionary lines are definitely something I'd want to see for each.

Years
  • In honor of the series's 20th anniversary, they will grace us by returning to the time-honored tradition of our Fire starter evolving into a Fire/Fighting Type.

I don't think so, plus I'd imagine the outrage if we get another Fire/Fighting starter. Not that I'm against the combination as a whole, but just give it to something that isn't a starter for a change.

Reactions: Z25

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I don't think so, plus I'd imagine the outrage if we get another Fire/Fighting starter. Not that I'm against the combination as a whole, but just give it to something that isn't a starter for a change.

This! I want more unique combos for all starters.

It may not be the best matchup wise, but I kind of want to see a Fire and Steel Starter...

Unless they either do an Ox or don't follow the Chinese zodiac, it wouldn't happen though most likely.

An Ox could be pretty cool though, as it's different then a goat and could offer more moveset and design potential.

For Grass, and unexpected type like grass and dark could be cool. Make it an animal that lives in dark forests. Or a bear of some sorts maybe...

As for Water, another water and electric, or maybe a water and ghost line could be really cool to see.

With water and ghost there are a lot of options...

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    To me Grass/Flying, Fire/Rock and Water/Fighting starters would feel the most unique since the combo never was used for starters and not many pokemons uses these combos either.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Grass/Flying has a decent number of mons.

Perhaps we'll get a Grass/Dragon. I think that's the only combo left for Grass (not counting Megas here obviously) as a type.

Maybe we could get a trio with types like Ghost, Ground, Flying, Fairy, Steel, Dark, and Normal. Well one was used for Kanto's, two of those were used for the Sinnoh starters already and another for Kalos', so perhaps they can try the others. That leaves Ghost, Fairy, and Normal. Sounds like a supernatural trio with a plain one. I'm thinking Grass/Ghost, Fire/Fairy, and Water/Normal (since Normal's been paired with all three types but water being the oldest combo, last seen in Gen IV (or maybe they can surprise by making Bidoof, Litleo, and Deerling the starters with new final evolutions)).

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    But Grass/Flying got no starter yet and the last Flying starter was Charizard also Dragon would break the triangle with rock and fighting on the other 2 starters.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    But Grass/Flying got no starter yet and the last Flying starter was Charizard also Dragon would break the triangle with rock and fighting on the other 2 starters.

We don't always have a triangle with the secondary typings. Look at Gen 4, both Infernape and Torterra's secondary typings were strong against Empoleon's. Gen 6 arguably isn't a triangle either since Dark type is immune to Psychic attacks so it disconnects the reverse relationship. So the Secondary typing could all be random, the three types not even having anything to do with one another. Like Electric, Rock, and Dark. Or they can give one starter a distinct advantage/disadvantage.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024

What I said regarding Fire/Fighting Starters was meant to be a joke. I don't particularly want to see another one, either. I had the worst scare when they showed Fennekin could learn Power-Up Punch in the pre-release videos for X & Y...

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    Guys from Game Freak, or Idk if Satoshi Tajiri or Ken Sugimori, stated that the original and actual selection of starter types was according to the famous game "Rock, paper and scissors", and that by this way there would be an equilibrium between each of them. Said that, I don't see another combination coming, it's true that other trios are possible, but they wouldn't be as balanced as the original one, as they would show too many strengths or disavantages.

Finally, it seems that the starters have distinctive roles because of their types. This way, grass starters normally bring considerable advantages, normally status condition or high-critical ratio movements and even lower required evolution levels, making them "ideal for new trainers", while the others have fewer or other kind of features, often specialized depending of the others' ones.

Years
  • I found something very interesting about that "fake" CoroCoro scan we were all dissecting over the past week: https://zerudez.deviantart.com/journal/Fake-Scans-Making-of-The-Leak-595964288

Turns out Zerudez was the one who drew those starters and trainers. I do have to give him credit for how good he is at drawing Fakemon art with a very Sugimori style to it. I still remember one of his previous "fake starter" sets, which I recall had a Grass lizard, a Fire dog and a Water bear with a tube around it.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Something that would be cool is that they would gain the type that they have an advantage on or the reverse but the matchup would be the same.
    So Grass/Water, Fire/Grass, Water/Fire. This would make them neutral against each other.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I doubt that the Fire starter's theme will break since we have only done like 6 out of all 12. That being said, if we decide that the region is based off asia or something, I'm expecting a small cute cat who evolves into a big menacing tigre for this one.

The Water starter's theme tends to be water creatures who can still exist outside of water. So I'm hoping for a platypus here. An elephant could be decent too.

For the Grass starter I'm sure they broke it's trend so it can be anything. I'm half expecting some stick insect or something bug-like.

As for typings, maybe Pure Grass, Fire/Rock, Water/Electric? I'm not too sure on what the Grass guy could be. /:(

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I doubt that the Fire starter's theme will break since we have only done like 6 out of all 12. That being said, if we decide that the region is based off asia or something, I'm expecting a small cute cat who evolves into a big menacing tigre for this one.

The Water starter's theme tends to be water creatures who can still exist outside of water. So I'm hoping for a platypus here. An elephant could be decent too.

For the Grass starter I'm sure they broke it's trend so it can be anything. I'm half expecting some stick insect or something bug-like.

As for typings, maybe Pure Grass, Fire/Rock, Water/Electric? I'm not too sure on what the Grass guy could be. /:(

Arguably the Grass starter thread of being reptiles (well I-V) might not even have been a thing. Venusaur can be argued. It bares resemblance to Toads, which are amphibians.

Back