• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • @OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire I forgot about Venusau. You didn't need to tell me that :P

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I think they are considered reptiles because all three end with -saur which would relate them to Dinosaurian name scheme.
    In English yeah, I don't think it's Japanese name hints at it being a dinosaur. Then there's the debate of whether to classify Dinosaurs as reptiles (I searched and most consider them a special group of reptiles, but some don't as there differences).

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • For some reason I've always imagined a water sheep pokemon, and as it grows it grows into a ram that horns can shoot out bubble beams, water gun ect.

Also thought of a fire rooster and a grass elephant, not sure how the rooster will get 3 evo's in without being another Torchick. I also like the fire cat -> tiger idea. As for the elephant, I think it would be too obvious to be water, and grass could be interesting. Not sure about the vine/leaf attacks..

Years
  • For some reason I've always imagined a water sheep pokemon, and as it grows it grows into a ram that horns can shoot out bubble beams, water gun ect.

Also thought of a fire rooster and a grass elephant, not sure how the rooster will get 3 evo's in without being another Torchick. I also like the fire cat -> tiger idea. As for the elephant, I think it would be too obvious to be water, and grass could be interesting. Not sure about the vine/leaf attacks..
    Blaziken already is a fire rooster (well male ones, females are hens).

A fire ram could work, but I do love the idea of a water one too. Perhaps we'll get one this gen and other in a future one. It would be different if they made it a single mon that evolves into a grass, water, and fire type. The initial type can be Normal or something else. Perhaps Fighting with the middle ones being duel type then losing the fighting type for the final for Psychic, Dark, and Fairy.

Years
  • Yeah, I feel like Torchic line already represents rooster. But like ORandAS said, a ram could be a good concept, given it could represent the Goat/Sheep slot of the Chinese Zodiac theme.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Like I said, I was unsure how it would not be another Torchic, though in terms of Blaziken, I was thinking design wise more in terms of an actual rooster design.

Whats this about the chinese zodiac?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    In English yeah, I don't think it's Japanese name hints at it being a dinosaur. Then there's the debate of whether to classify Dinosaurs as reptiles (I searched and most consider them a special group of reptiles, but some don't as there differences).

I'm taking a class in college about Dinosaurs and fossils and it's pretty amusing. Very first thing our teacher said was that most of what we know about dinosaurs is wrong and the only true dinosaurs existed late Triassic to Jurassic Periods. All Dinosaurs are land based reptiles, and Marine Reptiles and Flying Reptiles like Pterosaurs aren't dinosaurs.

Starting to get more interested in the class as we move forward. Also according to this, we only have 4 Dinosaur based Fossil Pokemon, the fossils from Gen 4 and from Gen 6.

The entire line's Japanese names iirc are phrases. Like Bulbasaur's name is "Isn't this strange?" and Venusaur's is Strange Flower. Ivysaur's is "it seems strange" or "strange grass". All three are speculated to be based off some Cambrian Mammal like reptile called Dicynodonts or Kannemeyeria (which is a large species of Dicynodont). I think fans are still speculating the origin of these three.

So it could go either way with how ambiguous Bulbasaur's line is. I'll at least file in favor for reptile since they don't look like frogs to me. Can't see a repeat of all one type of species happening again though unless they do all mammal since majority of the remaining 6 choices are mammal with only 1 reptile left.

Like I said, I was unsure how it would not be another Torchic, though in terms of Blaziken, I was thinking design wise more in terms of an actual rooster design.

Whats this about the chinese zodiac?

So far based on each of the fundamental designs of the starters, each fire starter has some representation in the Chinese Zodiac.

Charmander = Dragon
    Cyndaquil = Mouse
    Torchic = Rooster
    Chimchar = Monkey
    Tepig = Boar
    Fennikin = Dog

Leaving Horse, Ox, Ram, Rabbit, Snake, and Tiger left. Both Ram and Rabbit seem to be favorites for this generation based of speculation and fanart.

Years
  • I'm taking a class in college about Dinosaurs and fossils and it's pretty amusing. Very first thing our teacher said was that most of what we know about dinosaurs is wrong and the only true dinosaurs existed late Triassic to Jurassic Periods. All Dinosaurs are land based reptiles, and Marine Reptiles and Flying Reptiles like Pterosaurs aren't dinosaurs.

Starting to get more interested in the class as we move forward. Also according to this, we only have 4 Dinosaur based Fossil Pokemon, the fossils from Gen 4 and from Gen 6.

The entire line's Japanese names iirc are phrases. Like Bulbasaur's name is "Isn't this strange?" and Venusaur's is Strange Flower. Ivysaur's is "it seems strange" or "strange grass". All three are speculated to be based off some Cambrian Mammal like reptile called Dicynodonts or Kannemeyeria (which is a large species of Dicynodont). I think fans are still speculating the origin of these three.

So it could go either way with how ambiguous Bulbasaur's line is. I'll at least file in favor for reptile since they don't look like frogs to me. Can't see a repeat of all one type of species happening again though unless they do all mammal since majority of the remaining 6 choices are mammal with only 1 reptile left.

So far based on each of the fundamental designs of the starters, each fire starter has some representation in the Chinese Zodiac.

Charmander = Dragon
    Cyndaquil = Mouse
    Torchic = Rooster
    Chimchar = Monkey
    Tepig = Boar
    Fennikin = Dog

Leaving Horse, Ox, Ram, Rabbit, Snake, and Tiger left. Both Ram and Rabbit seem to be favorites for this generation based of speculation and fanart.
    I also consider it a Reptile.

Ram, Snake, and Rabbit are my top three choices. We could get a sheep as ram and sheep are often used interchangeably for that zodiac sign.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Never mention the Chinese Zodiac in Pokémon discussion boards, especially at /vp/, or else you'll get into long debates on whether or not the Cyndaquil line counts as a rat or foxes are considered dogs.

Reactions: Z25

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    That's cool. Fire horse is out because Ponyta. Fire snake doesn't really fit right with Serperior existing. Fire Ox... nah. Tiger seems too obvious, so I don't think so. Personally I don't think rabbits would be included in the elements. It just screams "ugly elemental monkeys" to me.

So! With that said: Ram. Definitely a fan of a fire-ram starter. Just going to do some theorymonning in regards to this. Chances are this is most likely going to happen in these games. c:

Fire Sheep. Name: Lambustion (Weak Armor / Quick Feet)
    Fire Goat. Name: Charbilly (Overcoat / No Guard)
    Fire/Ground Ram. Name: Ramferno (Blaze / Sand Rush / Reckless)

Lambustion evolves to Charbilly at level 16, then to Ramferno at level 32.

Moveset-wise I was thinking that our potential ram would be learning head on attacks. It, being a fire ram, has command over the elements: fire, ground, and rock. It controls them at its will. So with that said, I designed a learnpool.

Learnable moves (for the entire evolution line, including TMs):

Tackle
    Slam
    Stomp
    Headbutt
    Horn Attack
    Horn Drill
    Take Down
    Thrash
    Double-Edge
    Leer
    Growl
    Ember
    Flamethrower
    Strength
    Earthquake
    Fissure
    Rage
    Double Team
    Harden
    Defense Curl
    Fire Blast
    Rock Slide
    Protect
    Spikes
    Sandstorm
    Rollout
    Magnitude
    Return
    Frustration
    Rest
    Sleep Talk
    Rock Smash
    Heat Wave
    Sunny Day
    Revenge
    Eruption
    Knock Off
    Blast Burn
    Overheat
    Rock Tomb
    Sand Tomb
    Iron Defense
    Bulk Up
    Block
    Earth Power
    Lava Plume
    Rock Wrecker
    Flare Blitz
    Stealth Rock
    Stone Edge
    Magma Storm
    Incinerate
    Inferno
    Retaliate
    Horn Leech
    Wild Charge
    Head Charge
    Spiky Shield
    Roar

RAMFERNO STATS

HP: 100
    Attack: 140
    Defense: 105
    Sp.Atk: 40
    Sp.Def: 60
    Speed: 80

Roughly base total is 525. Emboar is 528, so it wouldn't be too far of a stretch.

I figured out a cool moveset for it (yes, Ramferno is similar to Emboar but better due to the ability!) On the other hand, Charbilly has No Guard which would otherwise be broken due to Fissure always working... but it'd be weak, and while Eviolite can help, its stats would ideally be low enough (or be banned lol) to not cause problems.

Ramferno @ Choice Band
    Ability: Sand Rush
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
    Adamant Nature
    - Flare Blitz
    - Earthquake
    - Wild Charge
    - Head Charge

So what do you guys think about the potential Ram? We totally need it, yeah? :)

IAmVincentLiu

Poké Fan
    Years
  • Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread
    - Sun Pokémon
    - Moonlight Pokémon

This is highly unlikely, but I would love it if they gave an Espeon in Sun and an Umbreon in Moon.

Years
  • Obligatory Starter Speculation Thread
    - Sun Pokémon
    - Moonlight Pokémon

This is highly unlikely, but I would love it if they gave an Espeon in Sun and an Umbreon in Moon.

Given this is a main series game, it'll still be the typical new Grass/Fire/Water trio, but Espeon and Umbreon were given as your first Pokemon in Colosseum.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    - Sun Pokémon
    - Moonlight Pokémon

I wouldn't be surprised if they got featured somehow, like maybe the Champion uses the one that is the same as the game and gives you the other one. But I would be very surprised if they were starters.

Years
  • I feel the same way too. I'm hoping for not just the starters in Pokenchi this weekend, but hopefully some more stuff that we may or may not have been speculating.
    I'm keeping my expectations to what we usually get early on, starters and mascots, plus some heavily marketed/hyped mon (think Zoroark).

Years
  • We need to be wary tomorrow because of April Fools, but I think your expectations might be something I'd expect at this stage as well, whether it'd be on Pokenchi or CoroCoro.
    I wonder if any past April fool mons will end up being mons. There was an old one that looked a lot like Shinx prior to Gen IV.

Years
  • It would probably be not that difficult for them to do better than their previous set of starters, which were a bit basic and all looked quite similar, like Gen. 4's. Still, though, if sun might be associated with fire, plausibly, and moon with water, they could do something along those lines if they got that far, and then the grass starter be more of an environmental or landscape thing like Torterra, alternatively they could go for something retro and approximating the first gen's starters. Hopefully they try to cut down on the dual-typing tendency in starters, unless it's really necessary, and since Mudkip it has often been a bit random, while people would generally be asked to select fire, water, or grass, and the hybridity can sometimes lead to something quite different, possibly for little reason, as with Torchic in some ways.
    - Sun Pokémon
    - Moonlight Pokémon

Unlikely, psychic and dark are fairly specific types and would generally be found later. It might be unexpected going by the ordinarily chosen ordinary elemental starters.

Back