• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Interesting they've put them as silhouettes, as if it's going to be some big reveal. :\ Either way, I'll be glad I can finally refer to them with a name that I don't have to copy and paste from somewhere. :P

Mijumaru better have a cute name, or I might be put off.

...aaah, who am I kidding? Mijumaru I will choose you! ^^
    They probably put it in Silhouettes because they are naive enough to think that English Fans or at least the young children that play the game aren't aware of the new pokemon expect the ones on the English BW site.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Mhm, we know and... we're waiting for the thread on it to be moved over to this section. XD;

Do note that you can continue to discuss what you think the English names are for all the other Pokemon.

Scrap that, apparently. I'm pretty excited as to what the names are!

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Let's hope for a leak somwhere around here. But most of all:

Spoiler:

Although, all I'm probably doing is going into a pit of lava with a 99% chance of getting all my hopes and dreams thrown in. *sigh*

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    I doubt PUSA will call Tsutarja it's meme name since i've ever actually heard of any Pokemon getting it's name from a fandom.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Merged the thread over from Pokémon General here.

I'm actually hoping something better than Smugleaf is used. I mean, it's too much of a generic name. Kind of worried on what they are going to be naming Mijumaru though. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if they kept Mijumaru as its name. I've grown so used to it, it'll be hard to call it something else. ):

It has me sitting at the edge of my seat over here.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Merged the thread over from Pokémon General here.

I'm actually hoping something better than Smugleaf is used. I mean, it's too much of a generic name. Kind of worried on what they are going to be naming Mijumaru though. Truthfully, I wouldn't mind if they kept Mijumaru as its name. I've grown so used to it, it'll be hard to call it something else. ):

It has me sitting at the edge of my seat over here.

Same, really, since Mijumaru is the only one I hope stays the same (since I know Pokabu will get an awesome name, and Tsutaaja will NOT be Smugleaf despite my scavenger hunting and poll making efforts).

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I hope Tsutaja's name isn't the horrible "Smugleaf", I mean, r u serious?! Worst meme Pokemon name ever. Sounds too much like Nuzleaf to me. I could care less though, cause I'm choosing the otter.

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    LOL, I actually like the name Nuzleaf though to be honest.
    I do to, but I don't like the two names to be too similar. I thought that Grotle was going to sound like Grovyle in 4th gen, but it's "Grott-le" not "Grow-tle" like "Grow-Vile".

I understand that Smugleaf is "smug"-ish, but wouldn't it make more sense to have a name that references that it's a reptile/snake?

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Anything that will take the word 'Smugleaf' out of circulation is fine by me.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Anything that will take the word 'Smugleaf' out of circulation is fine by me.

I couldn't agree more.

The name won't be based off a facial expression, more along the lines of it's actual lizard-like features and/or plant puns.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Going to make a guess for Mijumaru!

Mijumaru: Rookotta/Rookota or Shelotta. If not, then it'll be Wotta. Probs not Wotter, cause I'm pretty sure they'll shorten it to "otta".

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I'm betting that Tsutarja might get something similar to "Smugleaf," but not the actual name itself. Mijumaru might become "Wotter."

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I do to, but I don't like the two names to be too similar. I thought that Grotle was going to sound like Grovyle in 4th gen, but it's "Grott-le" not "Grow-tle" like "Grow-Vile".

I understand that Smugleaf is "smug"-ish, but wouldn't it make more sense to have a name that references that it's a reptile/snake?

I couldn't agree more.

The name won't be based off a facial expression, more along the lines of it's actual lizard-like features and/or plant puns.

But it's based off of French nobility, it has the damned fleur-de-lis on its back, which had the reputation for being more pompous and smug than any other nobility.

Yes, I support Smugleaf. It's an awesome name and I will not be dissuaded on this point. And I really doubt any of the Pokemon will have their name unchanged from the Japanese, it would make little of the sense really.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back