• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years

Same, really, since Mijumaru is the only one I hope stays the same (since I know Pokabu will get an awesome name, and Tsutaaja will NOT be Smugleaf despite my scavenger hunting and poll making efforts).

Mijumaru sounds a little too Japanese if you know what I mean, so I think that it's name will change. I liked it though, as it was one of the asy names of the 5th gen pokemon to spell XD

If Tsutaja is named Smugleaf I will die.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Mijumaru sounds a little too Japanese if you know what I mean, so I don't think that it will stay the same. I liked it though, as it was one of the asy names of the 5th gen pokemon to spell XD
    Mhm, well, besides that, it's probably the easiest to find good English names for. Tsutaaja is nearly impossible. XD;

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I know this is so silly but...

On serebii it say's that the US starter names will be revealed on 22nd November.....there are other english speaking countries besides the US you know! :/

I'm glad some sites just say the english names....it's not really that important but it kinda got my goat a bit.

Anyway I'm looking forward to finding out their names, although I don't know if I'll be able to stop using their japanese names for a while anyway...

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I know this is so silly but...

On serebii it say's that the US starter names will be revealed on 22nd November.....there are other english speaking countries besides the US you know! :/

I'm glad some sites just say the english names....it's not really that important but it kinda got my goat a bit.

Well, it's generally assumed that the US starter names = English names. The names haven't changed for different English speaking countries before, so I'm pretty sure it won't change in B/W. Plus, the Pokemon.com site is from the USA (aka not Pokemon.com.au or something along those lines) and adding to it, Serebii is from the USA, so naturally he'll be referring to his country as a whole, rather than just English. It's kinda safe to assume these will be the English names. :x

King Gumball

Years
    Yes what Forever said. The US names are always the names for any English speaking country, like England and Australia for eg. We all use the same pokemon names.

Yeah I think Tsutaja will be something really unexpected that will cause a lot of hate XD

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Serebii is from the USA, so naturally he'll be referring to his country as a whole, rather than just English. It's kinda safe to assume these will be the English names. :x

I could've sworn that Serebii was from the UK. O.o
    *Goes to check*

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    ...really? Well either way, most of Serebii's visitors are from the US, so that's probably why he said US names. XD;;

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    I'm sticking with my guess of Ottide for Mijimaru, even if it sounds like a compound....(ex. Nitrous Ottide)

PS: I'm 90% sure that Serebii is from Britain.

Last edited:

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    They'll always be Tsutarja, Pokabu and Mijumaru to me <3 It's gonna be so weird calling them something else after all these months. They should just keep their Japanese names though "Ts" is a tricky one to pronounce. Seeing those silhouettes brought back the memories on when we first saw these. I posted the first screenie on here, on the Gen V Discussion thread :) And when we all thought Tsutarja was a duck and Pokabu a rabbit and Mijumaru we got right, or maybe some thought polar bear but it was always a Piplup clone to us xD We hated it when we first saw it.

I'm going to go for:
    Tsutarja = Leavi
    Pokabu = Flarig
    Mijumaru = Tosea

x)

And on another not, Serebii has always been American to xD

Last edited:

Spiky-Eared Pichu

NDS Hacker/Researcher
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2019
    Did you know that www.tsutarja.com is a domain registered by Nintendo of America?

I discovered this a few hours ago, and I felt surprised because the japanese name in romaji is "Tsutaaja", not "Tsutarja". Maybe I'm wrong, but this is what I learned a japanese language course. Who put an "r" there?

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    There has always been an "r" there.

There have been 3 ways to spell it:
    - Tsutarja
    - Tsutaja
    - Tsutaaja

But Tsutarja has been the most common because you can hear the "r" in it's name when it's pronounced in Pokemon Sunday or the actual anime.

King Gumball

Years
    I'm sticking with my guess of Ottide for Mijimaru, even if it sounds like a compound....(ex. Nitrous Ottide)

PS: I'm 90% sure that Serebii is from Britain.

Ottide sounds realistic. Otter + Tide = Ottide. Or maybe its evo could be called that.

Meduza

Majestic Dawn
    Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2014
    Here's why PUSA won't be using the fanmade names for the starters.

Smugleaf- Sounds too much like Nuzleaf, like someone else said. Plus this name is very uncreative. It isn't based off it's lizard and snake-like features, and it only credits the leaf on it's tail. And the fact that "smug" is put in the name makes me think this Pokemon comes off to people as michevious, conniving and evil. Tsutarja is in no way michevious, conniving or evil.

I believe it's English name will consist of a species of lizard or snake, and a much less general plant than just leaf. Not some irrevelant facial expression.

Wotter- Sounds too much like the type Water. It would probably confuse a lot of people, mostly younger children, mixing up Wotter with the type.

I think it's name will consist of the word "otter", but also a "aquatic" word, much less general than just water.

Boarbeque- Sounds way too cheesy. And is this name trying to say Pokabu is edible? And if it was a name, it wouldn't be one for a first form starter, rather the third form.

Pokabu's name would be a lot more uter than a pun off barbeque. And I would also imagine a "pyro" word would be put in the mix, not a type of cooking.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Here's why PUSA won't be using the fanmade names for the starters.

Smugleaf- Sounds too much like Nuzleaf, like someone else said. Plus this name is very uncreative. It isn't based off it's lizard and snake-like features, and it only credits the leaf on it's tail. And the fact that "smug" is put in the name makes me think this Pokemon comes off to people as michevious, conniving and evil. Tsutarja is in no way michevious, conniving or evil.

I believe it's English name will consist of a species of lizard or snake, and a much less general plant than just leaf. Not some irrevelant facial expression.

Wotter- Sounds too much like the type Water. It would probably confuse a lot of people, mostly younger children, mixing up Wotter with the type.

I think it's name will consist of the word "otter", but also a "aquatic" word, much less general than just water.

Boarbeque- Sounds way too cheesy. And is this name trying to say Pokabu is edible? And if it was a name, it wouldn't be one for a first form starter, rather the third form.

Pokabu's name would be a lot more uter than a pun off barbeque. And I would also imagine a "pyro" word would be put in the mix, not a type of cooking.
    Wotter sounds more probable than the other two fan names though, but I also don't think it will be Wotter.

Years
    The best names I could come up with for all 3 starters, and their evo's are:

Tsutarja - Snivy (What's with that 'Smugleaf' crap, anyways?)
    Janovy - Slyvine
    Jalorda - Serplant (I've been seeing this name going around.. it's clever :3)

Pokabu - Pyroink
    Chaoboo - Emboar (Can't really think of a better name...)
    Enbuoh - Exploink (Boarbeque isn't that bad, though :P)

Mijumaru - Wotter? Heck, I have no idea what name is good for this one... :<
    Futachimaru - Clamurai... meh
    Daikenki - Samurtide

Kalala

Gunsou
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2018
    I might actually kill myself if they call tsutarja smugleaf.
    Fufufu.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    The best names I could come up with for all 3 starters, and their evo's are:

Tsutarja - Snivy (What's with that 'Smugleaf' crap, anyways?)
    Janovy - Slyvine
    Jalorda - Serplant (I've been seeing this name going around.. it's clever :3)

Pokabu - Pyroink
    Chaoboo - Emboar (Can't really think of a better name...)
    Enbuoh - Exploink (Boarbeque isn't that bad, though :P)

Mijumaru - Wotter? Heck, I have no idea what name is good for this one... :<
    Futachimaru - Clamurai... meh
    Daikenki - Samurtide
    Emboar sounds like a better name for Pokabu's final.

Samurtide sounds too much like a clothing detergent!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back