• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    How many people have figured out where Prof. Juniper's name have come from? I can explain if you like.
    It's derived from the juniper plant. Since Gen I, the professor's names have been derived from plants.

Anyway, my opinions on the new English names:
    -Minccino: it's cute.
    -Gigalith: it makes the Pokemon sound more menacing.
    -Sandile: it's quite catchy
    -Blitzle: I didn't understand the origins of the name until I read the last few posts.
    -Klink: it's simple, yet original.
    -Pidove: it sounded awkward when I first saw it. I still can't get over its somewhat-awkward tone.
    -Darmanitan: it sounds like "dalmatian." Its origin makes sense, actually.
    -Munna: yay for keeping Japanese names!
    -Big Pecks: I don't like the name, but I think it could be a pun on "Big Pecs."
    -Moxie: Overconfidence sounded better
    -Sheer Force: makes more sense than Encourage

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    Klink is my favorite of the new names. It's so simple and weird and... Idk, it just kind of gets stuck in my head, and I can't stop saying "klink klink klink klink klink" for some reason.

I kind of like Minccino, too. Sounds like a name Starbucks should give their mint cappuccino.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I don't like Pidove, nor do I really like the monkeys' names, but I don't like the monkeys to begin with so I may just hate the names because I hate them, haha.

I like Blitzle (though I'm so used to Shimama that it'll take a while) and anything is better than ~Chillarmy~ so I'm fine with that one. Sandile is kind of boring but it gets the job done so I'm cool with it. The rest aren't very memorable or I have no opinion.

Raichupacabra

Villain
    Years
    All the names are good.
    Except snivy, tepig, and oshawott.
    Snivy - Smugleaf
    Tepig - idk?
    Oshawott (Oshawhat?) - Wotter (I really that what was gonna be it's english name. Same with Buizel.)
    Yanappu: Pansage - Good.
    Boappu: Pansear - Good.
    Hiyappu: Panpour - Good.
    Chillarmy: Minccino - Chinno clothe.
    Giaru: Klink - I get it.
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan - Cool.
    Gigaiath: Gigalith - Cool.
    Munna: Love it.
    Mamepato: Pidove - Pidgeon + Dove. Not Bad.
    Meguroko: Sandile - I saw this eocoming. But cute.
    Shimama: Blitzle - Really good name.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    I thought they got Pidove from Pigeon and Dove the two birds it resembles:\

Also "love", from the heart-pattern on its chest.

That wasn't obvious from the start? Its Japanese name is Pigeon Breast...

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    For the Sandile family, what about Sanvial (Waruvile) and Deservial (Waruvial)? It just stuck in my head, and they sound perfect.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    For the Sandile family, what about Sanvial (Waruvile) and Deservial (Waruvial)? It just stuck in my head, and they sound perfect.

I actually like the sound of those names (: Pat on the back if they are the actual names.

I thought they got Pidove from Pigeon and Dove the two birds it resembles:\

Also "love", from the heart-pattern on its chest.

That wasn't obvious from the start? Its Japanese name is Pigeon Breast...

Big pecks' Japanese name is Pigeon Heart, not Pigeon breast. D;

However Big pecks will get many a pun on it's name XD;

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    Big pecks' Japanese name is Pigeon Heart, not Pigeon breast. D;

It uses the kana むね mune (胸) - a quick search shows "heart" often using different kana and/or kanji to represent it. The English name/pun makes more sense if you use "breast" or "chest" instead of "heart" anyway, since it's referring to the pectoralis major muscle.

imevil

Biggest Scyther Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2016
    I think Reshiram, Zekrom, Zorua and Zoroark will keep their names, I just have a feeling about it :/

:P

Let me be serious now, I want Tsutarja to be called Leavi so badliy xD Leaf + Ivy
    But I think GF will rather implement Leaf + Snake. Leake xD or Sneaf :laugh: They'll probably use another language :/
    you were actually close with his name being snivy. a leter of both of your predictions

Perriechu

Years
    you were actually close with his name being snivy. a leter of both of your predictions

Someone on these forums actually guessed the name right (:

I want them to hurry up and reveal Chirachiino's name along with Wargle's ;__;

Too much to ask? :|

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    Something struck me a second ago, it would be funny if one of Sandile's evos was called Viledile. It wouldn't happen though...I took the "Vile" part from the japanese names...which probably mean something completely different from the english Vile...

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    Minccino - ...I can't decide whether I like it or not...
    Gigalith - Sounds okay.
    Darminitan - Wha? I liked Hihidurama better.
    Sandile - Not too bad...I guess
    Pidove - Uh...
    Blitzle - Blitzle? Really?
    Klink - ...Well, it's better than Gear.
    Munna - YUS! She kept her name! YUUUS!

So far i've loved the pokemon themselves, but the names have been disappointing. I'm so glad little Munna kept her Japanese name.

Edit: Also, Castelia City isn't bad.

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    I took the "Vile" part from the japanese names...which probably mean something completely different from the english Vile...

Pretty sure the JP name is using the English word, ie. "vile" in the sense of "despicable", So...no, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if it happened to be translated as such.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    *isn't sure if this thread applies to city names as well, but* Does anyone know that Huin City's English name is now Castelia? xD I just found out half a minute ago. It sounds pretty good. :D As for the other Pokemon names:

Chillarmy: Minccino
    Giaru: Klink
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan
    Gigaiath: Gigalith
    Munna: Munna
    Mamepato: Pidove
    Meguroko: Sandile
    Shimama: Blitzle

Heehee, these are all adorable. Especially SANDILE. :3
    What kinda sucks about all these new names is that I just got used to seeing their Japanese names a zillion times...now I gotta get used to seeing their English names a zillion times... :o

Last edited:

Perriechu

Years
    *isn't sure if this thread applies to city names as well, but* Does anyone know that Huin City's English name is now Castelia? xD I just found out half a minute ago. It sounds pretty good. :D As for the other Pokemon names:

Chillarmy: Minccino
    Giaru: Klink
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan
    Gigaiath: Gigalith
    Munna: Munna
    Mamepato: Pidove
    Meguroko: Sandile
    Shimama: Blitzle

Heehee, these are all adorable. Especially SANDILE. :3
    What kinda sucks about all these new names is that I just got used to seeing their Japanese names a zillion times...now I gotta get used to seeing their English names a zillion times... :o

This is kinda old news, XD; I still oppose Sandile. There is no imagination in that name what so ever. -.-

Perriechu

Years
    I can't wait to see what Rankurusu will be x3
    I like Klink better then Gear though, it sound awesome O:

Noooo ;_____; Klink is the most fugliest name in the history of Pokemon. Sandile being the obvious excepting >:o

Klink, it just sounds wrong ;_; Get out. ;~;

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back