• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terragal

Secretive Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2011
    I haven't been on in a while.... mufuufufufufuf~

Anyways here's my thoughts...

Tsutarja: Snivy *gets out a gun* <--- me and my nephew HATE this
    Pokabu: Tepig <-------------- HATE! I'm caling mine POKABU when I get one
    Mijimaru: Oshawott ..... >.> *shoots self*
    Yanappu: Pansage <--- honestly don't care they are fugleh pokemon (all 3 of em)
    Chillarmy: Minccino <------- *head desks*
    Giaru: Klink <---- urgh, I hate this one too but it makes sense (even if it looks like Magnemite but flatter)
    Hihidaruma: Darmanitan <--- LOL I don't mind this one
    Mamepato: Pidove <--- okay WTF? Pigeon Dove? NO! They did NOT cross breed! Mamepato was CUTE
    Meguroko: Sandile <---- haven't they had a somethingdile? I accept though xD
    Shimama: Blitzle <--- which pokemon is this again? ANYWAY *head desks*

I think shooting and head desking win

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Blitzle...lol. In no way does this make any sense to me. It's not even a fast zebra. Sandile sounds kinda weird but at least it's not stupid.

What happened to the amazingness that created the names "Arcanine" and "Exeggcutor"? :( I think I dislike most of the names so far. Then again, that's what I said about last generation and now I don't really care anymore.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Blitz is German for Lightning referring to Shimama's electric typing for those wondering why they chose to name it Blitzle when it's not a fire type.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    Blitz is German for Lightning referring to Shimama's electric typing for those wondering why they chose to name it Blitzle when it's not a fire type.

I actually like Blitzle. \o/ A name I like

It's cute to match Shimama, I didn't actually like the japanese name, it sounded to weird D;

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Ranculus?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get a name change - it'll likely keep the "homunculus" part, anyway.

Isn't that the romanised name anyway? I recall Munna was...Munna's romanised name, and yet that stayed the same (though Chiramii > Chillarmy...so idk I guess it isn't something to go by).

Though if it does end up as Ranculus, I won't have any issues with it - and even if it changes, it won't affect me really, because I've called it Rankurusu all along. You could still change to Homculus and it wouldn't sound that bad anyway? :(

Opticgoo

Ignorance is my best friend.
    Years
    Ranculus?

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get a name change - it'll likely keep the "homunculus" part, anyway.
    I thought Ranculus was the updated Japanese name? Because I haven't yet read and update on Rankurusu's English name so I wouldn't know x3
    I'm pretty used to calling it Rankurusu, so if it isn't something similar, we have a problem D<
    Homculus? I don't know, doesn't sound right to me, maybe because I'm used to the Japanese name xD

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    Since Munna stayed the same I really hope Musharna stays the same as well. I really like that name!

There was also this theory on another forum that Nattorei could be named Nettal, (nettle + metal) and it seems like a likely name, considering we got Sandile out of crocodile+sand. I would love it if either Nattorei or is pre evolution were named Nettal.

Years
    I think for Blitzle/Shimama's evolution, Zebraika could be based on the words 'zap' and 'zebra'. I just feel like it's that way. *shrugs*
    I was expecting something better than Klink, like maybe Cogera or Geroca? It's name should be a play on 'cog' and 'gear'. Oh well, they can originate it the sound clink. Just saying....
    Thank goodness Munna is the same, it's the best name for that Pokemon, I couldn't think better. Sandile and Pidove is cute and catchy. :) Darma-whatever sounds okay, it's still as ugly as it's Japanese name, I don't even like its looks anyway. I can't wait for the official English names for the Ghost/Fire pokemon. It most probably will be from the word 'chandelier' and maybe a word like 'phantom', 'spirit' or 'Hitodama'.

Last edited:

The Lord of Smug
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Oct 17, 2013
    Klink -> Klank -> Klash
    for the win.
    Also, I've always thought Zeburaika romanized to Zebriker, or Zebrika. That'll probably be its english name. And I hope Rankurusu doesnt keep its name, because what would Gochiruzeru become?

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
    Klink -> Klank -> Klash
    for the win.
    Also, I've always thought Zeburaika romanized to Zebriker, or Zebrika. That'll probably be its english name. And I hope Rankurusu doesnt keep its name, because what would Gochiruzeru become?
    I was thinking more along the lines of Klink, Klank, Klunk. XD

Opticgoo

Ignorance is my best friend.
    Years
    649, you got me thinking about Klink's evolutions, what would they call them? I think Klank would be confusing, it's to similar to Klink, I'm thinking they'd add something onto Klink, because that's all it's evo is, another gear o-o

Hyperion09

fancy pretentious words
    Years
    I thought Ranculus was the updated Japanese name? Because I haven't yet read and update on Rankurusu's English name so I wouldn't know x3
    I'm pretty used to calling it Rankurusu, so if it isn't something similar, we have a problem D<
    Homculus? I don't know, doesn't sound right to me, maybe because I'm used to the Japanese name xD

I think it was in one of those "next week's episode" anime previews.

Here.

Homunculus is part of its name, not all of it. 卵 ran "spawn", Latin homunculus "little human", referring to its humanoid shape.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back