• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    I think the boy's name is Blair. {Hmm... what does that sound like? Oh yeah! Black!}

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Yeah it is...and I take back what I said about the boy's name now as I like the sound of Blair :) it kind of makes me think of the Spanish word for White Blanco and the french word for Black, Noir.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I like all of the names for the places :)
    The main chracters names though aren't my favorite...I perfer May, Brandon, Dawn and Lucas to Whitlea and ...what was the boys name again? Though at least we can name them ^-^
    Whitlea? Wow, talk about just combining random letters together GF!

Some of the names are going to take a while for me to get used to. They're just different. Different as in more eccentric than ever before, imo.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    You know it's ironic Whitlea name has Lea in it as it can mean delicate while most people see her as the strong female...Also Lea means Meadow as does Blair...interesting flower theme they have similar to Dawn and Lucas lighting theme.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    I didn't think about that. Maybe they should have just named the girl Lea. Lea and Blair vs. Whitlea and Blair.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    * よわき (Timid) – Defeatist
    * くだけるよろい (Broken Armor) – Weak Armor
    * テレパシー (Telepathy) – Telepathy
    * ミラクルスキン (Miracle Skin) – Wonder Skin
    * すりぬけ (Slip Through) – Infiltrator
    * いたずらごころ (Teasing Heart) – Prankster
    * てつのトゲ (Iron Thorns) – Iron Barbs

Have some rumoured abilities from PokeJungle! Prankster sounds nice, hope it's real :)

...wow dejavu.

Late

Pokémon Artist
    Years
    Getting White soon and then I have to learn English names for 5th gen Pokémon. This is my first time when I actually know most of the Japanese names too because of the GPX+.
    Haven't taken bigger look at their English names but I'm sure I can get used to them as all the others.

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    new names?

one word...
    ROGGENROLA!!
    HAHAHA!
    seriously.
    epic name.
    makes me laugh every time i see it.
    that is all.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
    I, for one have never posted in this thread before, so I want to discuss my opinion of English names.

Broken Armor should be called Broken armor, and not Weak armor. It sounds dumb and I don't like it, not one bit. Defeatist works well for Timid, and I actually hope that this one is a real ability name. Telepathy is a good name, and it's the actual translation for it, which I like a lot. I'm not liking the sound of Prankster, and I would prefer if they went with "Mischievous Heart", which is I believe, the actual translation. Iron Barbs sounds much better than Iron Thorns, and this is another one I hope they actually keep.

Adam.

Knowledge isn't everything.
    Years
    Although I do love the new English names and the only problem I really have with them is that they can be difficult to pronounce at times...
    (Plus I keep thinking of the Japanese names instead of the English ones...!)

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    one word...
    ROGGENROLA!!
    HAHAHA!
    seriously.
    epic name.
    makes me laugh every time i see it.
    that is all.

I like Roggenrola, but I kept forgetting its evo, Boldore, up until recently. Gigalith doesn't really match the other two names in how they sound though (that's of course not taking into account actual meanings).

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Alder is what really gets me adeku was awesome. But i do like drayden and brycen tho

PPB_All-Stars

Duelist and Beyblader
    Years
    they ruined my desukan and doryuzuu

well, 2 of my favorite 5th gens doryuzuu and desukan got totally screwed with their english names, come on, cofagrigus and excadrill!!! AH!!!

But i do give english a bit of credit, they had a couple of cool names, like Hydriegion..thats cool

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Hey guys...someone on Bulbagarden posted Blair's English name is Hilbert... what. the. hell. Apparently someone played it early...just...wtf. My God that better be a joke. I didn't read down the page so if it is a joke, I lose. XD

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    I don't like Alomomola.
    How many o's do we need in a Pokemon name?
    And how many syllables? (5 bloody syllables...)

I think this is the first time I find Japanese names easier to memorize than English names.

Hey guys...someone on Bulbagarden posted Blair's English name is Hilbert... what. the. hell. Apparently someone played it early...just...wtf. My God that better be a joke. I didn't read down the page so if it is a joke, I lose. XD
    Hilbert? Where did that name come from?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Hilbert? That's one of the strangest names I heard.

Also, here are the English attacks of Gen V: https://www.pokewiki.de/Attacken-Liste (you'll have to scroll down to the Gen V names, which starts off with Hone Claws)

Personally, I like:
    -Smack Down, formerly Knock Down
    -Night Daze, formerly Night Burst
    -Psyshock/Psystrike, formerly Psycho Shock/Psycho Break

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back