• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

j2y8n2x

Gothitelle iz naught imprezzed
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Hilbert? That's one of the strangest names I heard.

Also, here are the English attacks of Gen V: https://www.pokewiki.de/Attacken-Liste (you'll have to scroll down to the Gen V names, which starts off with Hone Claws)

Personally, I like:
    -Smack Down, formerly Knock Down
    -Night Daze, formerly Night Burst
    -Psyshock/Psystrike, formerly Psycho Shock/Psycho Break
    Why psyshock instead of psycho shock? :(

Porygon Z

721 and counting!
    Years
    Why psyshock instead of psycho shock? :(

IDK, but also Venom Shock is now Venoshock.

My fav are...

- Fusion Flare/Blue Flare (Reshiram's signature attacks)
    - Fusion Bolt/Bolt Strike (Zekrom's signature attacks)
    - Gear Grind (Klink's double hit attack)
    - Night Daze (Night Burst)
    - Ice Burn (Kyurem's exclusive attack, really a paradox :D)
    - Freeze Shock /Kyurem's other exclusive attack)
    - Quiver Dance (Butterfly Dance)
    - Bulldoze (Level Ground, really epic :D)
    - Searing Shot (Victini's Blaze Judgement)
    - Steamroller (Hard Roller)
    - Storm Throw (Throh's Overhead Throw)
    - Heavy Slam (Heavy Bomber)
    - Inferno (Purgatory)

I don't really like the Oaths, now they're Pledges. And also V-Create.

All new attacks: here
    All new abilities: here

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I don't really like the Oaths, now they're Pledges. And also V-Create.

Pledges? XD Well that was clearly inspired by the Pledge of Allegiance. Probably. Oath didn't really suit the name in the first place, since they're not well, making an oath to always use fire attacks? Idk. :(

But Pledge only is okay by me because it further backs up Unova's relation to New York. And V-Create isn't that bad tbh. Could've been worse...

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    "Blair" and "Whitlea" likely came from screenshots showing them as a player character, as in the one you pick the name of. Maybe the mall tour used those names, I don't know. None of the fansites have said anything, so no one will really know for another 22 hours. Or there could be multiple names for the characters.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I really love Blair and Whitlea compared to those, really. :x THEY DON'T RELATE TO BLACK AND WHITE AT ALL.

...maybe? Or maybe they do! But... most rumoured things have turned out true that we really hoped were wrong. D: English names list, starter evos, etc. So I guess if they are real, we'll probably get used to them eventually.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    21 Hours until it comes out in Europe?! Wow that Fast...I wonder if any of the names might be different from English English and American English versions...

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    Hilbert... what is this.. I don't even...

If their names are actually Hilbert and Hilda I'm going to hurt someone. Seriously, Game Freak, what were you thinking?

Ethan, yes. Lyra, yes. Brendan... {why not Brandon?} but sure. May and Dawn... eh. Lucas... sure. Hilbert, Hilda... no. No.

Nameless.

Sounds like an old couple that's been together for 46 years who fight all the time.

Good thing you can choose a different name other than defaults if these turn out to be true. But now I have beef with GF for coming up with such horrendous names.
    Those are very old-fashioned names and do not fit the way those teens look at all ; nor the generation they are in. ]:

Last edited:

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
    .... Hilbert & Hilda?
    Sounds like an old couple that's been together for 46 years who fight all the time.

Good thing you can choose a different name other than defaults if these turn out to be true. But now I have beef with GF for coming up with such horrendous names.
    Those are very old-fashioned name and do not fit the way those teens look at all ; nor the generation they are in. ]:

Urgh I know! This isn't like the 1800's and who would name their child Hilda/Hilbert. They are really awful sounding names. I thought this gen got very advanced and technological, so I have no idea why they would give them names of old fashioned old people =+=

I'm so, so sorry if anyone is called Hilda/Hilbert!

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    They really could have picked better names. They're so odd, and I agree they just don't seem to match the characters. Something screams "old" rather than youthful.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I actually don't mind Hilda that much...I remember that it was still used in shows back in the late 1990's and early 2000's...but Hilbert...
    Oh yeah I checked Bulbapedia and they appearently use these names...guess that pretty much proves it...
    Both Hilda and Hilbert though come from Hild which mean Battle...

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2012
    They care too much about it trying to relate to some aspect of the games. Whitlea = White, Blair = Black, Hild = Battle.

Game Freak, just choose NAMES. Goodness gracious.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    Have "early" European copies of the games been shipped yet or something? Because a bunch of Bulbapedia users are moving Pokemon and move pages to what appear to be the "rumored" English names, when just recently "OMG DON'T PUT THE RUMORED NAMES FROM FANSITES!!11!!" was in full effect. And according to the official Black and White Version site, I haven't seen all of the names unveiled.

One particularly annoying example is the page of Fire Oath (what is now apparently Fire Pledge). The user who moved it just changed the title, without bothering to put the proper introductory format (boldfacing the move's English name before the Japanese one) or changing any of the "Fire Oath" words in the templates or even in the darn article's text. They didn't even bother to put in the Fire Pledge redirect, which is annoying.

Before, there was a sense of "don't move all the pages until officially confirmed", and now, many of the BW-related pages are getting sloppily moved in the haste leading up to the European release of BW. If a user is going to bother to change an article's title, at the very least he/she should insert the proper redirects and required text replacements in the article first, before moving to any other articles. This isn't a race of "who can move the article titles first?".
    Official English Name Discussion

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back