• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official English Name Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Continuing the discussion involving English Names here.

If anything, I really prefer Blair and Whitlea over those Hilda and Hilbert. :\ The names don't even have any sort of suiting besides in meaning to them. The two look nothing like a Hilda and Hilbert at all to be honest.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • She looks tough like a Hildaa, Hilbert on the other hand... no. It's just like Blair and Whitlea where Whitlea makes sense (It means White forest) but Blair doesn't. But the names but mean "trainer" (battlers, same thing), as in Pokemon Trainers so their great!

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
  • So, I've avoided all B/W talk until I get the game. And since getting it, I've had moments of just sitting and shaking my head.

Roggenrola. Roggenrola. Really?! Is it meant to be like "Rock 'n' Roller" because it's a Rock-type?! That's a pun worthy of a spoof, Nintendo, not a name worthy of the main game.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • So, I've avoided all B/W talk until I get the game. And since getting it, I've had moments of just sitting and shaking my head.

Roggenrola. Roggenrola. Really?! Is it meant to be like "Rock 'n' Roller" because it's a Rock-type?! That's a pun worthy of a spoof, Nintendo, not a name worthy of the main game.

Oh, so that's where the name came from? I just thought it sounded nice. :cer_laugh: No wonder it's so fun to say. I just realized this guy is the Pokemon who evolves into Gigalith..."Roggenrola" sounds more suited for a fully-evolved Pokemon, though, as opposed to a first-stage one...

Dillon_68

Lover of Winter
    Years
  • That pun is what makes Roggenrola one my favorite names this gen. I also just realized Vullaby is probably prounounced Vull-Uh-Bye like Lullaby and not Vull-Aye-Bee like Baby.

Kon~

Years
  • That pun is what makes Roggenrola one my favorite names this gen. I also just realized Vullaby is probably prounounced Vull-Uh-Bye like Lullaby and not Vull-Aye-Bee like Baby.

Really?! The pun is what makes it one of my least favourite. D:

I don't like the names that are flat puns, I like the ones with quirky trivia and humour to them. Or ones that have really really clever backstories.

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • Really? I was saying it like Val-uh-bee XD I never really thought about it as Vull-Uh-Bye... ahh so many ways to pronounce things in Unova.

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • I also pronounced it as Vul-Uh-Bye. :\ Then again, as soon as I saw it's English name I thought of vulture and lullaby, so yeah. :P Roggenrolla is cool, though. Not as bad as Foongus and Amoongus. :(

Sarcastic Prince

Starting anew...
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with Hilbert and Hilda.
    They are just names, after all, and I don't care whether they are
    the official names or not. If they are, I'll be using the official names for my character.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    I don't really get Roggenrolla. It sounds like a Spanish dish.

Rock-and-roll is what I presume the name to be based off of. :(

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with Hilbert and Hilda.
    They are just names, after all, and I don't care whether they are
    the official names or not. If they are, I'll be using the official names for my character.

HILLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLBERT

Honestly I love the name Hilbert. :( Hilda less so because it makes me think of vikings, but HILBERT YES

adhdguitar

Newbie Pokémon Hacker
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2015
    Only English name I really hate is Flame Charge, as it's too generic. Nitro Charge was just beast.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Audino, the English name for Tabuune wasn't really what I expected for it. I don't actually know what I expected, but that name certainly did come for a surprise. I think I might end up nicknaming this Pokémon. XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 7, 2011
    Really?! The pun is what makes it one of my least favourite. D:

I don't like the names that are flat puns, I like the ones with quirky trivia and humour to them. Or ones that have really really clever backstories.
    whats with all the roggenrola haters?
    not cool.
    If u dont like the names
    RENAME THEM.
    that is all.

Kon~

Years
    whats with all the roggenrola haters?
    not cool.
    If u dont like the names
    RENAME THEM.
    that is all.

My problem's not with the fact that I'm sending it out, because I don't own one and will never hear my character say "Go! Roggenrola!"

My problem is with seeing them every five seconds from other trainers, and that it's a ridiculous name.

MoonPoke

--Pokemon Strategist--
    Years
  • B/W Pokepun Explained

Have you ever wonder what are Gen 5 Pokemon's names mean? And where they come from? If you do, you're in the right topic. Here's how pokemon names derived:

Victini: V FOR VICTORY, also A Small Thing (tiny). Because that's it's thing.
    Snivy: An Ivy Snake, also possibly snide but that's probably a coincidence.
    Servine: A Vine Serpent. It's a Serpent that looks like a vine.
    Serperior: A Superior Serpent. It's the previous thing but better.
    Tepig: A Tepid (Warm) Pig. Slightly warm pig.
    Pignite: A Pig that Ignites stuff. A PIG THAT SETS **** ON FIRE.
    Emboar: An Ember Boar. This pig is on FIRE CONSTANTLY.
    Oshawott: Ocean + Otter + Water! It's an otter that lives in the water/ ocean! Also Oshawa could be referring to River-crossing, like the city (near where there are sear otters!)
    Dewott: Dew + Otter. Dew is water!!!
    Samurott: Samurai + Otter. It's a Samurai Seal that uses shells as blades I mean come on.
    Patrat: Patrol + Rat. It's a prairie dog/ meerkat: they watch things, and this thing has a WATCHING YOU theme.
    Watchog: SAME THING REALLY BUT DIFFERENT (watch + Groundhog)
    Lillipup: LITTLE + PUP. It's a small dog!
    Herdier: It's a terrier that herds things. HERDIER.
    Stoutland: Stout + Newfoundland (like the dog breed, they swim well and Stoutland can learn surf!!).
    Purrloin: Purloin (Steal) + Purr like a cat. It's a dark type cat ok what do you expect.
    Liepard: Lie + Leopard: DARK TYPE CAT.
    Pansage: Pan (the genus of Chimpanzees) + sage (the plant). It's a plant monkey. Name also goes with the WE'RE WAITERS YO of the Gym leaders that use them.
    Simisage: Simi (Infraorder of higher primates, includes chimps and us!) + sage (the plant). A bigger/ more advanced monkey.
    Pansear: Pan + Sear (burn). More semi-cooking imagery.
    Simisear: DERP
    Panpour: Pan + Pour (Pouring a bucket of liquid). ETC.
    Simipour: DERP DERP
    Munna: Moon + Luna, two words for the Moon (which this has a theme with, since they're associated with dreams and sleep). The mu in its name in Japanese can mean Dream which it also goes with too!
    Musharna: the above, plus an onomatopoeia for eating possibly (MUSHIN' DAT ****). One of those carry overs.
    Pidove: Pidgeon + Dove, two very related bird groups (basically the same group, different name).
    Tranquill: A peaceful (TRANQUIL) bird. Quill means feathers, which a bird has. WORKS. Doves are symbols of peace, and Tranquill is supposed to live in a peaceful place where there's no war.
    Unfezant: An unpleasant pheasant (this owns, shut up). It's supposed to be unpleasant to people not its trainer/ territorial so THERE YOU GO.
    Blitzle: Blitz (lightning in German) + little. Blitz also refers to speed (ie, quick as lightning), so it's a fast/ quick/ electric zebra.
    Zebstrika: A Zebra that strikes things, like lightning. Blitz (in its pre-evo as I mentioned) is often used for fast/ quick strike warfare so there you are!
    Roggenrola: A NAME THAT OWNS. It's a ball-like rock, so making a Rock and Roller pun is totally justified imo.
    Boldore: Boulder.
    Gigalith: Giga = big, lith = A ROCK. A big rock.
    Woobat: A bat that woos people (ie, seeks affection/ court). It's a love themed bat so yeah!
    Swoobat: A bat that makes people swoon!
    Drilbur: Drill + Burrow. It's a mole with claws shaped like shovels.
    Excadrill: Excavate + Drill. It's a mole that is literally a drill what the **** do you expect from the name?
    Audino: Audio + I Dunno. Audio because its supposed to have great ears, and the I Dunno thing is a carry over from the Japanese name with the same pun because it's supposed to be a nursing and helpful with medical conditions.
    Timburr: IT'S HOLDING A TIMBER
    Gurdurr: IT'S HOLDING A GIRDER
    Conkeldurr: IT'S HOLDING CONCRETE AND is also Elder because it's the oldest one. Conk+Elder.
    Tympole: Tadpole + Tympanum. The Tympanum is your eardrum, as well as the hearing organ in general for frogs/ toads. It's a sound-themed tadpole that has giant tympanums on the side of its head. Can also reference the Tymphany instrument, same root. Vibrations/ sound etc
    Palpitoad: Palpitate (Shaking/ rumbling/ beating) + toad. Again, sound themed.
    Seismitoad: Seismic Toad. After all, seismic activity (Earthquakes etc) are the same exact thing as sound, just in the ground.
    Throh: Throw.
    Sawk: Sock.
    Sewaddle: Sew + Waddle. A silk producing caterpillar that is a baby (so it waddles). Also swaddle, which is to wrap a baby in cloth. MULTIPLE LEVELS.
    Swadloon: Swaddle + Cocoon.
    Leavanny: Leaf/Leaves + Nanny. It's a leaf bug that takes cares of babies, yup!
    Venipede: Venomous centipede.
    Whirlipede: Centipede rolled into a ball. Whirling Centipede.
    Scolipede: Scolopendromorpha (Centipede group) + Centipede. Or maybe also/ instead Scoliosis + Centipede. Scoliosis is the curving of the spine. It's a centipede with its back bent.
    Cottonee: It's a cotton ball. Corruption of cottony (RESEMBLING COTTON)
    Whimsicott: A whimsical ball of cotton. It's got a mischievous theme, and it's based on the vegetable lamb of Tartary so hey!
    Petilil: A petite (small) lentil (seed). Which it is! Might be lily at the end though.
    Lilligant: An elegant Lily.
    Basculin: A masculine/ aggressive bass. It's theme is how it's a PISSED OFF FISH/ AN *******, which is a thing bass are known for being!
    Sandile: A SAND CROCODILE.
    Krokorok: A crook of a crok with a name that works in both directions.
    Kroocodile: Krokorok except more obvious.
    Darumaka: A Macaque that looks like a Daruma Doll (Go on google and look it up). The maka also means crimson in Japanese.
    Darmanitan: An orangutan who looks like a Daruma Doll. Darumas are also known as Darhma Dolls, hence the name. It even has a daruma mode it activates.
    Maractus: A dancing Maraca-wielding Mariachi Cactus.
    Dwebble: It's a hermit crab that Dwells in a Pebble.
    Crustle: A crab with Crust/ stratum on it.
    Scraggy: Craggy is to be rough, harsh, rough. LIFE ON THE STREETS IS TOUGH.
    Scrafty: One has to be crafty and full of guile to make it on the streets...
    Sigilyph: Sigil (sign/ image with magic power) + glyph (same). It's a weird psychic bird thing that looks like one of those.
    Yamask: Yama is the lord of the dead in Hindu/ Buddhist mythology. It's a dead thing in a mask.
    Cofagrigus: Sarcophagus + egregious (ie, outstanding). Also has some coffin in there. It looks like a pharaoh's sarcophagus so it fits well!
    Tirtouga: Corruption of Tortuga, or turtle in Spanish.
    Carracosta: Carapace + Coast. Sea Turtles hit dem beaches a lot. Additionally, more pseudo-Spanish stuff going on.
    Archen: Archeopteryx inspired, obviously. Simpler name because... I dunno!
    Archeops: Archeopteryx inspired + more name!
    Trubbish: Trash and rubbish.
    Garbodor: Garbage + Luchador. He's a garbage man that looks vaguely like a luchador. Alternatively, just Garbage + the -ador part, so it's just a Garbager.
    Zorua: Zorro (Fox in Spanish) + Rua (Red hair). It's a fox with red hair sooo
    Zoroark: The above, plus it's DARK so Zoroark. They're evil illusory foxes ok.
    Minccino: Mink + Chino cloth possibly. It's a mink with a clothing/ cloth/ fur theme so it works.
    Cicinno: Chinchilla + Chino cloth.
    Gothita: A little goth. Goth + Lolita.
    Gothorita: Goth + senorita.
    Gothitelle: Goth + Mademoiselle. Also "tell", since it can see the future preow.
    Solosis: A solo (single) + -sis (Latin for being in the "state" of, often dealing with biological processes). So it's a single cell existing alone.
    Duosion: A duo/ splitting cellular structure. Yup.
    Reuniclus: A nucleus of reunited structures. Also homunculus, a created man.
    Ducklett: A SMALL DUCK
    Swanna: A graceful swan.
    Vanillite: A small vanilla icecream.
    Vanillish: A biggerish vanilla icecream.
    Vanilluxe: A deluxe vanilla icecream.
    Deerling: A small deer. You could say it's an.... UNDEERLING.
    Sawsbuck: This one is potentially very multi-layered. Sawbuck - A thing that holds wood to be sawn. Buck - male deer. SAWS is an acronym for the seasons. Yeaaaaaah.
    Emolga: Corruption of the Japanese name. Emon = dressing/ drapery (flaps on the flying squirrel) + momonga (flying squirrel)
    Karrablast: Karakauseli (escargot) + BLAST. It hunts escargot for their shells.
    Escavalier: Cavalier (Knight) + Escargot (snail). It's a bug wearing a snail's shell so hey.
    Foongus: Fungus.
    Amoongus: A humongous fungus. Also A FUNGUS AMUNG US.
    Frillish: A frilly jelly fish. It's royal so.
    Jellicent: A magnificent jelly fish. It's royal so.
    Alomomola: It's a mola mola (sunfish) that is motherly to stuff (MOM).
    Joltik: Jolt + Tick (Which arachnids!)
    Galvantula: Galvanize (stimulated with electricity) + Tarantula.
    Ferroseed: A ferrous (iron) seed.
    Ferrothorn: An iron thing with spikes.
    Klink: ...
    Klang: ...
    Klinkklang: yesssss
    Tynamo: A tiny dynamo.
    Eelektrik: An electric eel/ lamprey/ leech.
    Eelektross: A big electric eel/ lamprey. Albatross are the biggest birds so THERE YOU ARE.
    Elgyem: A Little Green Man. Term for aliens.
    Beheeyem: A Bug Eyed Monster. Again!
    Litwick: A lit candle wick.
    Lampent: A lamp here to take you to hell so repent your sins. Lamp + Repent.
    Chanelure: A chandelier that lures your soul and burns it to a crisp.
    Axew: Axe. Accent on the x here. Bladed dragon.
    Fraxure: Fracture. Accent on the x again.
    Haxorus: Hack + us to make it sound very dragon-y. If you didn't catch it, the x refers to cutting ****.
    Cubchoo: A sneezing (achoo!) bear cub.
    Beartic: An arctic bear.
    Cryogonal: An octagonal snowflake cryin' like a babby. Cryo- also refers to cold/ freezing so M-M-MULTI PUN.
    Shelmet: Shell + Helmet. It's a snail with a shell for a helmet.
    Accelgor: Accelerate (because it's a ninja) + gor because it sounds cool probably.
    Stunfisk: Because Stun Fish sounded too obvious. Also fisk is kind of insulting and this fish is probably insulted a lot.
    Mienfoo: Mien (Appearance/ Behavior/ Personality) + Kung Fu. It does have the appearance of a Kung Fu Master. Mien is also an ethnic term for several Chinese ethnic groups, some of which immigrated heavily to the US (UNOVA)
    Mienshao: Mien + Shao, which is a common Chinese surname refering to nobility/ royality.
    Druddigon: It's a Ruddy Faced Dragon. Druddigon.
    Golett: It's a smaller golem. -Let is a diminutive suffix.
    Golurk: A golem created by an ancient civilization and left to lurk on this earth.
    Pawniard: Pawn (as in the Chess piece) + Poniard (A small sharp dagger).
    Bisharp: Bishop (as in the Chess piece) + Sharp (AS IN ITS GONNA CUT YOU WITH ITS SHARP BLADES)
    Bouffalant: Buffalo + Bouffant/ Bouffante. It's a buffalo with a puffy afro what do you want???
    Rufflet: It's a ruffled/ fuzzy headed little eaglet.
    Braviary: A BRAVE BIRD. It flies so its' Aviary. Brave + Aviary. BRAVIARY.
    Vullaby: Vulture + Lullaby because it's a big ol' baby in an egg-shell.
    Mandibuzz: Mandible (BONES) + Buzzard (you know, like vultures).
    Heatmor: Heat + EATMORE because he's an anteater that loves to eat...
    Durant: A durable ant. It's a steel type so yeah. It isn't very durable against ^^ though.
    Deino: Ein (One in German) + Dino.
    Zweilous: Zwei (Two in German) + Zealous.
    Hydreigon: Drei (Three in German) + Hydra + Dragon.
    Larvesta: Larva + Vesta (Greek Godess of the Hearth, symbolized by the sacred fire that burned eternally in her temples)
    Volcarona: Volcano + Corona. It's sun-god moth found near volcanos so yeah
    Cobalion: Cobalt, as in the metal and color. It's a steel type so yeah. Also a beast so -lion.
    Terrakion: Terracota (color and material) + Lion. An Earth Beast, in other words.
    Virizion: Viridian (Green)/ Viradarium (Garden) + Lion. A Plant Beast.
    Tornelos: It's a tornado god.
    Voltolos: It's a lightning god.
    Reshiram: It's just a name. The shira in it is from shiro, or white. Re was used because it sounds softer, what since it's Ying.
    Zekrom: It's just a name. The kro in it is from kuro, or black. Ze was used because it sounds harsher, what since it's Yang.
    Landlos: It's a land god.
    Kyurem: Kyuurei (rapid cooling) + Rei (Zero). It's a dragon of absolute zero cold/ so YUP. It's Wuji after all.
    Keldeo: Name is from Kelp/ Kelpie, that ol' Celtic water horse.
    Meloetta: Melody + etta (female suffix). As expected.
    Genesect: A genetically engineered/ modified insect. Alternatively also a GENOCIDAL insect.

Sorry for the disorganize of this post. All the credits go to randomspot555 from projectpokemon.org

Last edited by a moderator:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Have you ever wonder what are Gen 5 Pokemon's names mean? And where they come from? If you do, you're in the right topic. Here's how pokemon names derived:

Oshawott: Ocean + Otter + Water! It's an otter that lives in the water/ ocean! Also Oshawa could be referring to River-crossing, like the city (near where there are sear otters!)
    Samurott: Samurai + Otter. It's a Samurai Seal that uses shells as blades I mean come on.
    Patrat: Patrol + Rat. It's a prairie dog/ meerkat: they watch things, and this thing has a WATCHING YOU theme.
    Stoutland: Stout + Newfoundland (like the dog breed, they swim well and Stoutland can learn surf!!).
    Purrloin: Purloin (Steal) + Purr like a cat. It's a dark type cat ok what do you expect.
    Pansage: Pan (the genus of Chimpanzees) + sage (the plant). It's a plant monkey. Name also goes with the WE'RE WAITERS YO of the Gym leaders that use them.
    Simisage: Simi (Infraorder of higher primates, includes chimps and us!) + sage (the plant). A bigger/ more advanced monkey.
    Munna: Moon + Luna, two words for the Moon (which this has a theme with, since they're associated with dreams and sleep). The mu in its name in Japanese can mean Dream which it also goes with too!
    Musharna: the above, plus an onomatopoeia for eating possibly (MUSHIN' DAT ****). One of those carry overs.
    Pidove: Pidgeon + Dove, two very related bird groups (basically the same group, different name).
    Tranquill: A peaceful (TRANQUIL) bird. Quill means feathers, which a bird has. WORKS. Doves are symbols of peace, and Tranquill is supposed to live in a peaceful place where there's no war.
    Unfezant: An unpleasant pheasant (this owns, shut up). It's supposed to be unpleasant to people not its trainer/ territorial so THERE YOU GO.
    Blitzle: Blitz (lightning in German) + little. Blitz also refers to speed (ie, quick as lightning), so it's a fast/ quick/ electric zebra.
    Zebstrika: A Zebra that strikes things, like lightning. Blitz (in its pre-evo as I mentioned) is often used for fast/ quick strike warfare so there you are!
    Roggenrola: A NAME THAT OWNS. It's a ball-like rock, so making a Rock and Roller pun is totally justified imo.
    Woobat: A bat that woos people (ie, seeks affection/ court). It's a love themed bat so yeah!
    Excadrill: Excavate + Drill. It's a mole that is literally a drill what the **** do you expect from the name?
    Audino: Audio + I Dunno. Audio because its supposed to have great ears, and the I Dunno thing is a carry over from the Japanese name with the same pun because it's supposed to be a nursing and helpful with medical conditions.
    Conkeldurr: IT'S HOLDING CONCRETE AND is also Elder because it's the oldest one. Conk+Elder.
    Tympole: Tadpole + Tympanum. The Tympanum is your eardrum, as well as the hearing organ in general for frogs/ toads. It's a sound-themed tadpole that has giant tympanums on the side of its head. Can also reference the Tymphany instrument, same root. Vibrations/ sound etc
    Seismitoad: Seismic Toad. After all, seismic activity (Earthquakes etc) are the same exact thing as sound, just in the ground.
    Sewaddle: Sew + Waddle. A silk producing caterpillar that is a baby (so it waddles). Also swaddle, which is to wrap a baby in cloth. MULTIPLE LEVELS.
    Scolipede: Scolopendromorpha (Centipede group) + Centipede. Or maybe also/ instead Scoliosis + Centipede. Scoliosis is the curving of the spine. It's a centipede with its back bent.
    Whimsicott: A whimsical ball of cotton. It's got a mischievous theme, and it's based on the vegetable lamb of Tartary so hey!
    Petilil: A petite (small) lentil (seed). Which it is! Might be lily at the end though.
    Basculin: A masculine/ aggressive bass. It's theme is how it's a PISSED OFF FISH/ AN *******, which is a thing bass are known for being!
    Darumaka: A Macaque that looks like a Daruma Doll (Go on google and look it up). The maka also means crimson in Japanese.
    Darmanitan: An orangutan who looks like a Daruma Doll. Darumas are also known as Darhma Dolls, hence the name. It even has a daruma mode it activates.
    Sigilyph: Sigil (sign/ image with magic power) + glyph (same). It's a weird psychic bird thing that looks like one of those.
    Yamask: Yama is the lord of the dead in Hindu/ Buddhist mythology. It's a dead thing in a mask.
    Cofagrigus: Sarcophagus + egregious (ie, outstanding). Also has some coffin in there. It looks like a pharaoh's sarcophagus so it fits well!
    Carracosta: Carapace + Coast. Sea Turtles hit dem beaches a lot. Additionally, more pseudo-Spanish stuff going on.
    Garbodor: Garbage + Luchador. He's a garbage man that looks vaguely like a luchador. Alternatively, just Garbage + the -ador part, so it's just a Garbager.
    Minccino: Mink + Chino cloth possibly. It's a mink with a clothing/ cloth/ fur theme so it works.
    Gothitelle: Goth + Mademoiselle. Also "tell", since it can see the future preow.
    Solosis: A solo (single) + -sis (Latin for being in the "state" of, often dealing with biological processes). So it's a single cell existing alone.
    Sawsbuck: This one is potentially very multi-layered. Sawbuck - A thing that holds wood to be sawn. Buck - male deer. SAWS is an acronym for the seasons. Yeaaaaaah.
    Emolga: Corruption of the Japanese name. Emon = dressing/ drapery (flaps on the flying squirrel) + momonga (flying squirrel)
    Escavalier: Cavalier (Knight) + Escargot (snail). It's a bug wearing a snail's shell so hey.
    Eelektross: A big electric eel/ lamprey. Albatross are the biggest birds so THERE YOU ARE.
    Haxorus: Hack + us to make it sound very dragon-y. If you didn't catch it, the x refers to cutting ****.
    Cryogonal: An octagonal snowflake cryin' like a babby. Cryo- also refers to cold/ freezing so M-M-MULTI PUN.
    Accelgor: Accelerate (because it's a ninja) + gor because it sounds cool probably.
    Stunfisk: Because Stun Fish sounded too obvious. Also fisk is kind of insulting and this fish is probably insulted a lot.
    Mienfoo: Mien (Appearance/ Behavior/ Personality) + Kung Fu. It does have the appearance of a Kung Fu Master. Mien is also an ethnic term for several Chinese ethnic groups, some of which immigrated heavily to the US (UNOVA)
    Mienshao: Mien + Shao, which is a common Chinese surname refering to nobility/ royality.
    Golurk: A golem created by an ancient civilization and left to lurk on this earth.
    Bisharp: Bishop (as in the Chess piece) + Sharp (AS IN ITS GONNA CUT YOU WITH ITS SHARP BLADES)
    Bouffalant: Buffalo + Bouffant/ Bouffante. It's a buffalo with a puffy afro what do you want???
    Durant: A durable ant. It's a steel type so yeah. It isn't very durable against ^^ though.
    Larvesta: Larva + Vesta (Greek Godess of the Hearth, symbolized by the sacred fire that burned eternally in her temples)
    Cobalion: Cobalt, as in the metal and color. It's a steel type so yeah. Also a beast so -lion.
    Terrakion: Terracota (color and material) + Lion. An Earth Beast, in other words.
    Reshiram: It's just a name. The shira in it is from shiro, or white. Re was used because it sounds softer, what since it's Ying.
    Zekrom: It's just a name. The kro in it is from kuro, or black. Ze was used because it sounds harsher, what since it's Yang.
    Kyurem: Kyuurei (rapid cooling) + Rei (Zero). It's a dragon of absolute zero cold/ so YUP. It's Wuji after all.
    Genesect: A genetically engineered/ modified insect. Alternatively also a GENOCIDAL insect.

Sorry for the disorganize of this post. All the credits go to randomspot555 from projectpokemon.org

English name discussion has got you covered~
    Plus, if they're not even your interpretations, and aren't official, then there isn't really a point :(

But yeah, discuss here if you really want to. Also, please don't link to other forums unless there's a great need to. Just proving the name would've been good enough.

Years
  • I like all of the english names. They are awesome! They were really creative with all of the new names and I like every one of them. Pokemon,People,Places,Attacks,Items and Abilities . I like them all!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Have you ever wonder what are Gen 5 Pokemon's names mean? And where they come from? If you do, you're in the right topic. Here's how pokemon names derived:

To back up a few more of those meanings:
    -Boldore also comes from "ore," referring to its crystals.
    -Garbodor also has "odor" in its name because of its smell.
    -Vanillish also has "delish," a slang term for "delicious."
    -Deerling is also derived from "yearling," a young deer.
    -I don't see what Eelektross has to do with albatrosses because albatrosses are birds. The "tross" part is from "boss," because it's Tynamo's final form.
    -Axew also derives from "chew"
    -Haxorus also has a corruption of "saurus" in its name because of its dinosaur/lizard-like appearance.
    -The "fisk" in Stunfisk is a northern European word.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back