• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Official Rumours Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bay

Years
    Or maybe not having the plot be so reliant on getting the badges? Like how the game's story tends to come to a standstill until the next badge is received?

If that's the case, then I would enjoy that immensely. I like Gym Battles, and the Badges are necessary (with the HMs being tied to them, if that still holds true, for example), but I don't like them being the prominent feature of the storyline. So that when the title of Champion is gained, the game's story doesn't seem to end.
    As much as I like this to happen too for wanting a bit of a twist in the games, that's most likely not going to happen. Like Forever, the badges tend to be proof when facing the Elite 4 and the Champion. Also, the badges are usually needed when having your traded Pokemon obey you too.

Also, to me the story doesn't end after getting the title of Champion. I mean, there's the whole other journey in the Johto games, the Battle Frontier in Emerald and Platinum, another side story in Platinum, the Sevii Islands in FireRed/LeafGreen, etc. I'm pretty such the Black and White games will have a side story of sorts after you become Champion.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    As much as I like this to happen too for wanting a bit of a twist in the games, that's most likely not going to happen. Like Forever, the badges tend to be proof when facing the Elite 4 and the Champion. Also, the badges are usually needed when having your traded Pokemon obey you too.
    Yeah, unfortunately the Badges are way too tied into the story. Personally, I'm looking for a storyline where the Badges aren't first, I guess I could say. Like, for example, the player needs to use Surf to chase down a Legendary/something special, but doesn't have the HM. Player finds someone with the HM to Surf, but the person doesn't give away the HM to someone without the correct number of badges that prove the player can handle Surf. So then the player has to go back and get the badge so they can save the world.

And I totally just realize that that's like what there is now. But what I see as the difference is that the main focus of the plot isn't getting the Badge. The Badge plot is second to the other plot.

I know it's a lot more running around, but that's what I like doing in RPGs. I like the running around finding everything more than the actual plot.

Also, to me the story doesn't end after getting the title of Champion. I mean, there's the whole other journey in the Johto games, the Battle Frontier in Emerald and Platinum, another side story in Platinum, the Sevii Islands in FireRed/LeafGreen, etc. I'm pretty such the Black and White games will have a side story of sorts after you become Champion.
    Kanto in G/S/C/HG/SS still really relies on the Gym Leaders as the main attraction. The Battle Frontier really isn't much of a story, more like a new place to battle. The only one out of those listed that I played (never touched Platinum) was the Sevii Islands in FR/LG. They continued the pre-E4 storyline, with Team Rocket and even other side quests like the lost girl.

I just like actually story, I guess. Like I said, the Gym Leaders and their Badges are important, I'd just like to see some way, any way that they aren't the main focus.

Last edited:

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
    Actually the main part of the storyline ISN'T getting the badges. It's about catching every single Pokemon and filling the Pokedex to the best of your ability. To do this you will need badges because: a) they're merit of your worth as a trainer, b) if they didn't exist i could transfer a lv. 79 Infernape to B&W and blast the game away, and c) HMs... you need those to travel to places where you'll find exotic new Pokemon.

They're a staple of Pokemon games. Why do away with them now? I can accept gyms not being as prominent, but I don't think they'll disappear; I like how 4th Gen upped the mazes and such in the Gyms...

*Trust me I've played the games trying to catch every single Pokemon I can. It's actually much more fun than just going to each city to challenge a gym.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    Actually the main part of the storyline ISN'T getting the badges. It's about catching every single Pokemon and filling the Pokedex to the best of your ability. To do this you will need badges because: a) they're merit of your worth as a trainer, b) if they didn't exist i could transfer a lv. 79 Infernape to B&W and blast the game away, and c) HMs... you need those to travel to places where you'll find exotic new Pokemon.

They're a staple of Pokemon games. Why do away with them now? I can accept gyms not being as prominent, but I don't think they'll disappear; I like how 4th Gen upped the mazes and such in the Gyms...

*Trust me I've played the games trying to catch every single Pokemon I can. It's actually much more fun than just going to each city to challenge a gym.

'Catch 'em all' is no longer the slogan for Pokémon. So no that's not the point, the point is becoming Champion.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    There is going to be a Dragon/Ice legendary

Sick! I hope this is true!
    I hope we still have gyms battling the gym leaders was awesome

More rumours from PokeJungle (Possible Pokemon)
    Yogame – Bipedal turtle, war-like
    Kanbaneri – Angel Pokemon (possible Light type (Hope not))
    Soraion – Could have an appearance like this
    Daneira – (still a mystery)
    Ushikatsu – Fat cow (Miltank evo Hopefully!?)
    Supaddosu – Evil looking insect (Bug Legendary?)

Plus this

Also, one more thing that blue skY covered was apparently a 'Play-Doh' packaging leak that showed an upcoming product with the pokemon. These were the names that were allegedly revealed: Onokussu and Burokku.

Last edited:

incognito322

Years
    'Catch 'em all' is no longer the slogan for Pokémon. So no that's not the point, the point is becoming Champion.

No, that isn't the point. If you play through the beginnings of HGSS and Pt, you'll notice that participating in the Pokemon League challenge is always mentioned as a side note. The main point is not becoming Champion, it's just a milestone of your adventure. It allows you to catch more pokemon. And please, tell me what the new slogan is and how it refers to begoming the Champion?

Either way when you accomplish each it's anticlimactic. Complete the pokedex and you can see some cute screen. Become the champion, it doesn't matter, because you can fight the E4 all over again as if you weren't.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    No, that isn't the point. If you play through the beginnings of HGSS and Pt, you'll notice that participating in the Pokemon League challenge is always mentioned as a side note. The main point is not becoming Champion, it's just a milestone of your adventure. It allows you to catch more pokemon. And please, tell me what the new slogan is and how it refers to begoming the Champion?

Sorry but in every game the story propels you to complete the Pokémon league, only a few games (FR/LG) actually needed you to catch enough Pokémon for actual rewards and things.

Also the games reflect the Anime and Manga, which are obviously orientated around their 'storylines' but with the E4 + Gym battles as a backbone, where the climax comes at the E4 battles.

incognito322

Years
    I guess it's a dual thing. I play to complete the Pokedex. But if the main thing wasn't completing a Pokedex then why get it so early in the game? Badges are a milestone. So is the E4. But the games focus on you seeing and capturing every Pokemon possible. The Gyms and E4 are just a test of your training abilities. And unless there's a post-league area w/ exclusive pokemon, you can complete the pokedex without beating the pokemon league.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Yeah, but I don't see the storyline stop because you don't have enough Pokemon. You get some rewards for catching/seeing a certain amount of Pokemon, but it's not the way it is when it comes to Badges. You can't move on past a certain point if you never get a single Badge. You can move on past a certain point even if you never capture another Pokemon.

What happens when you complete the Pokedex? A small certificate. What happens when you beat the E4? The credits roll and the entire world of the game is open to you. The story of the game pushes you to reach that goal.

I'd take that as the Badges being important.

Bay

Years
    Yeah, unfortunately the Badges are way too tied into the story. Personally, I'm looking for a storyline where the Badges aren't first, I guess I could say. Like, for example, the player needs to use Surf to chase down a Legendary/something special, but doesn't have the HM. Player finds someone with the HM to Surf, but the person doesn't give away the HM to someone without the correct number of badges that prove the player can handle Surf. So then the player has to go back and get the badge so they can save the world.

And I totally just realize that that's like what there is now. But what I see as the difference is that the main focus of the plot isn't getting the Badge. The Badge plot is second to the other plot.

I know it's a lot more running around, but that's what I like doing in RPGs. I like the running around finding everything more than the actual plot.

Kanto in G/S/C/HG/SS still really relies on the Gym Leaders as the main attraction. The Battle Frontier really isn't much of a story, more like a new place to battle. The only one out of those listed that I played (never touched Platinum) was the Sevii Islands in FR/LG. They continued the pre-E4 storyline, with Team Rocket and even other side quests like the lost girl.

I just like actually story, I guess. Like I said, the Gym Leaders and their Badges are important, I'd just like to see some way, any way that they aren't the main focus.
    Okay, I admit the Battle Frontier is more of a new place to battle, but then again I found them quite interesting. D: As for the Kanto one, true, but there is still some stuff going on at Kanto nonetheless than just beating the gym leaders (even if the Kanto story is just getting the badges to go against Red pretty much :x). As for Platinum, as I think about it, the side story is pretty short, but it's still a fun one. Charon takes command of Team Galatic and goes to Stark Mountain with the other commanders to get Heatran and the Magma Rock. However, Charon got arrested by Looker. That's pretty much it, but like I said, still a fun one and gives closure to the Team Galatic arc.

Anyways, I think we have talked about this gym thing long enough in this thread. XD;

Last edited:

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    I would recommend to the Nintendo Company (if they even listened to their fans in general), that they add more of a plot than: obtain starter, get badge, obtain more Pokemon, encounter evil bad guys, get badge, obtain the rest of your team, fight more evil bad guys. Rinse, wash, and repeat. It is far less entertaining the more you catch a freakin' Pikachu. They have never thought of ways to make the game more entertaining. So what if you have triple battles, how is that any different from a double battle? What I am trying to say is, a new concept for the Pokemon Adventure Trainer Video Game Genre would be awesome and welcomed.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    I would recommend to the Nintendo Company (if they even listened to their fans in general), that they add more of a plot than: obtain starter, get badge, obtain more Pokemon, encounter evil bad guys, get badge, obtain the rest of your team, fight more evil bad guys. Rinse, wash, and repeat. It is far less entertaining the more you catch a freakin' Pikachu. They have never thought of ways to make the game more entertaining. So what if you have triple battles, how is that any different from a double battle? What I am trying to say is, a new concept for the Pokemon Adventure Trainer Video Game Genre would be awesome and welcomed.

I actually think they are doing this, but taking small steps at first. With each generation the story has gotten somewhat more elaborate. I think that if they didn't focus on making HGSS what they used to be in Gen 2 they would have added more. I think we will definitely see more variety in plot this Gen (although not as much as we are asking, but it's a start).

BigBlastoise

The Big B-Turtle
    Years
    I actually think they are doing this, but taking small steps at first. With each generation the story has gotten somewhat more elaborate. I think that if they didn't focus on making HGSS what they used to be in Gen 2 they would have added more. I think we will definitely see more variety in plot this Gen (although not as much as we are asking, but it's a start).

I think it would be awesome that, in a game, all the greats team up with the regular trainers, and with Ash, Misty, Brock. That would be so epic. Like, a huge battlefield filled with the carnage of Pokemon battling. It would be so epic man! And the great Pokemon trainers would be fighting to save the world from extreme heat or something from the evil team. But, that's just me. It would also send an excitement shiver down my spine if they had you as a background character. Like, you can see Ash on his journeys. Maybe even interact with him at some point.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    And unless there's a post-league area w/ exclusive pokemon, you can complete the pokedex without beating the pokemon league.

Um, in R/S, pretty sure you could only get Rayquaza/Lati's after the Pokemon League. (I swear I cannot remember the storyline of any other game), but in B/W, I think there will probably be an area to get rare/legendary Pokemon to show your achievement or something.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
    I hope now that their's triple battles there will be 6 player battles (3 people vs 3 people) but then it would kinda get crowded atleast in small places (lol)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back