• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Old Style Japanese Portraits

Aquerex

A New Beggining
Years
  • O_O
    I'm scared.

Jigglypuff and Smoochum scare me. I swear, I'm gonna have nightmares now.

Steelix looks AWESOME, though.

Overall, they look positively creepy.

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    Some are pretty freaking awesome. Most of the legendaries look nice. Ponyta/Rapidash is also really good. Delibird looks awesome. Others made me laugh, like Parasect and Tentacruel. Others are just plain creepy and unrecognizable. Gengar? The Jigglypuff family? Geez, what happened to you?

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Whoa... some of these are pretty cool (and most are just creepy as heck). ... And now I know where RB Gastly got its design from. Almost a splitting image...

PARASECT and PARAS on the other hand are gonna give me nightmares. *shudder* Mutant 'shroom....

Lt_Nite

GnR for life!
    Years
  • These are very well done, like it's interesting to see these pokemon like this, as said though some are just plain CREEEEEPYYY. For the most part though a lot of them are really sick looking.

Meepman

Arogance is bliss
    Years
  • Nidoking's is the best thing ever, crobat in second. The rest are either hilarious or just terrifying. I think this is what the series would look like if all the pokemon lived up to there namesake as monsters.

P.S. smoochum.... Well so much for sleeping tonight.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I wish they would do gens 3 and 4 pokemon. I really wanna see how they'd do Roserade.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • WOBBUFFET would've been nice to see, but I don't see it. D: Maybe if they did Wynaut, they'd throw Wobby in there too...

But yeah, Gen III and IV, can I have some nightmare fuel from y'all, too? I'd really like to see the Raltz line....

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
  • HOLY SWEET MOTHER OF-

Whoa. Just, whoa. I recognized all but two-whatever is to the left of Slowbro and whatever is to the right of Togepi. O.o This is pretty funny though!! I'm gonna show this to my friends and see what they think.

Piplup-Trainer

This is my custom user title.
    Years
  • Lol, Onix needs some water xD
    Hitmonchan hits Hitmonlees balls...ouch O.o
    Lol, look at Staryu and Starmie! xD

This Ledian looks like a evolution of the original Ledian xD
    And what happened to Ledyba!?
    The most dangerous Spinarak ever!
    Igglybuff looks like a new pokemon!
    Take a look at Politoed and those pokes next to him! O_O!
    Would you recognize that Slugma?
    Lol, Mantine xD
    And...umm...is that Celebi? O.o?

Years
  • Mewtwo actually looks quite good.
    Had to look on bulbapedia to find out the one next to Togepi (Igglybuff) and the one next to Slowbro (Misdreavas).
    And Quilava looks like its in pain.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • Oh man !

When I first saw he Charizard , I thought these were beta and raw sprites . But , after Venusaur and forth , I figured out these are like messy stupid pictures of Pokemon .

In Romania , we call it "caricaturi ( pronounced : karikaturi)" but I don't know it in English . I am too busy to search the web as well ...

Also , some opinions :
    Charizard : A wingless beast .
    Piloswine : LOL , cut your hair off ! You need a new haircut :0 .
    Lugia : Man , what's this -_- ? A cutted string ?
    Venusaur : THAT is not Venusaur . More like a dog ... -_-

These are surely creepy . I also think they're pretty ... gothic . I'll get nightmares !...

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • I have to say, these add a very realistic - and in some cases, scary - view to the way Pokemon are drawn. I like them a lot, actually. Kudos to the artist.

DGexe

Taunter
    Years
  • Oh man !

When I first saw he Charizard , I thought these were beta and raw sprites . But , after Venusaur and forth , I figured out these are like messy stupid pictures of Pokemon .

In Romania , we call it "caricaturi ( pronounced : karikaturi)" but I don't know it in English . I am too busy to search the web as well ...

I'll admit, I'm totally taking a shot in the dark here, but were you thinking of the English word "caricature"? *isn't sure if she spelled that correctly*

dictionary.com said:
    [kar-i-kuh-cher, -choo
    Old Style Japanese Portraits
    r] noun, verb,-tured, -tur·ing.
    –noun
    1. a picture, description, etc., ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or things: His caricature of the mayor in this morning's paper is the best he's ever drawn.
    2. the art or process of producing such pictures, descriptions, etc.
    3. any imitation or copy so distorted or inferior as to be ludicrous.

–verb (used with object) 4. to make a caricature of; represent in caricature

Origin:
    1740–50; earlier caricatura < It, equiv. to caricat(o) loaded, i.e., distorted (ptp. of caricare; see charge) + -ura -ure

Back