• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

On the subject of "pride days"

Years
  • I never said there wasnt anything wrong with being politically correct, I'm just sick and tired of them shoving their perfectionist beliefs down mine and others throats. Thats why the club was gone to. While there are some who stuck behind us and our beliefs, it was too crazy and being called a homophobe on a daily basis was not cool.

Just because I'm not gay doesn't take away might goshdar rights to have pride. I'm straight and I am allowed to have pride, so is the Straight Pride group, but because of the devine angels who are just sooo perfect because they are PC, we went away.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    The question is, why do you believe in Straight Pride? Gay Pride has very good reasons to be there - it allows people to feel pride in something that is still causing them to be actively discriminated against, it allows them to be in a situation where for once they can look at people and assume that they're gay, instead of the other way around like everywhere else. It allows them to celebrate the strength to overcome hardships cause by being gay.

The idea of straight pride is that "gay people can be proud, so why not me?", at least as far as I can see. Gay pride is a place where gay people can be without being discriminated against. Straight people aren't discriminated against so that reason doesn't apply. Gay pride is a place where they can meet other people who are also gay. It's not a problem to meet other straight people, so that doesn't apply. Gay pride is a place where they can celebrate overcoming the obstacles they encounter because of their sexuality. Straight people, once again, don't encounter these obstacles, so that doesn't apply. So what's the reasoning? Celebrating the fact that you never have to overcome anything related to your sexuality? The reasoning behind Gay Pride is a very positive line of reasoning, while the reasoning behind Straight Pride is overwhelmingly negative.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I never said there wasnt anything wrong with being politically correct, I'm just sick and tired of them shoving their perfectionist beliefs down mine and others throats. Thats why the club was gone to. While there are some who stuck behind us and our beliefs, it was too crazy and being called a homophobe on a daily basis was not cool.

Just because I'm not gay doesn't take away might goshdar rights to have pride. I'm straight and I am allowed to have pride, so is the Straight Pride group, but because of the devine angels who are just sooo perfect because they are PC, we went away.

When half the world has laws that say if you're caught doing anything that may point to you being a heterosexual you can be shot by a firing squad or hung, or make it so all white people/all straight people are slaves..then you can have pride for being white/straight.

You're a girl. You can have pride that you overcome sexism though, so you have that going for ya'.

Years
  • Well I want to be proud of something. I have hardships as well. I have something positive about me that I can be proud of, and I cannot even be proud of it.

It makes it seem like you people are better because your gay.

Black Ice

[XV]
    Years
    • Seen Oct 4, 2023
    Pride days are generally for non-majority groups. You don't need to raise awareness for heterosexual rights or whatever.

And that is about the only reason I support (or don't oppose) those pride days in the first place.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well I want to be proud of something. I have hardships as well. I have something positive about me that I can be proud of, and I cannot even be proud of it.

That's great that you have hardships that you've overcome, it really is. You're more than welcome to celebrate that - but that is entirely unrelated to you being straight, so that's unrelated to this conversation about straight pride vs. gay pride. Gay pride is about the hardships they've overcome due to their sexuality, not hardships in general.

Years
  • You don't need to overcome hardships to have pride. There are British pride etc, the British didnt over come hardships.

StraightPride group on DA is there for me and other straights to be proud of just being hetro. I'm proud of that, because it's pretty much my only normality. I feel normal whiten the group and that's fun to see. Too bad that they are gone but it was a very fun group and we had a few supporter defending our group.

MenHaveRights group is there to support men and women having equal rights and opposing women being above men because they have a vagina. Women have rights already, but they want more at the expense of men, and this group is here to share your disgust for it. Women always get their way especially in the courts and custody battles and it's sicking.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You don't need to overcome hardships to have pride. There are British pride etc, the British didnt over come hardships.

StraightPride group on DA is there for me and other straights to be proud of just being hetro. I'm proud of that, because it's pretty much my only normality. I feel normal whiten the group and that's fun to see. Too bad that they are gone but it was a very fun group and we had a few supporter defending our group.

MenHaveRights group is there to support men and women having equal rights and opposing women being above men because they have a vagina. Women have rights already, but they want more at the expense of men, and this group is here to share your disgust for it. Women always get their way especially in the courts and custody battles and it's sicking.

Going to reply to the women part first because it's kind of disturbing that as a woman yourself you don't understand that. Women still get paid less than men in the same jobs, in 2009 nearly 25% less. I can personally vouch that you are wrong in the fact that "women always get their way in the courts", I know that from experience with my parent's divorce. In different states there are different leanings as a matter of fact. When I lived in Texas, it was difficult for my mother to even get child support when she and my father divorced. When we moved she wanted to get the case moved to NJ because they lean more towards the mother over the father here.

There are women that do seem to believe that men are lower than them, but they are not the majority within the gender and we are not at the point where they're even being listened to. Women may have the same rights as men, but they're still not treated the same, encouraged into the same jobs, paid the same. I suggest you do more research on this topic, because there are obvious disparities that have yet to be addressed.

Pride in a heritage is different than pride in a sexuality. Pride in a heritage is cultural, it's a celebration of the things that make us who we are in different parts of the world. Gay pride isn't the same as British pride just because the word 'pride' is in both.

Years
  • Well I want to be proud of something. I have hardships as well. I have something positive about me that I can be proud of, and I cannot even be proud of it.

Your hardships are different than the hardships of an entire race. You seem to be confusing some of the finer points here. Every person experiences hardships at some point in their lives, yes. But the struggles on an entire people, especially when the people in question are victimized by the majority (in this case White/Caucasians) White, heterosexual people don't need a pride day, because they own basically the entirety of western civilization. I don't feel the need to celebrate the fact that I'm white in a country of over 100+ million other white people.

Basically, it boils down to this:

You have hardships, we all do at some point. However, your hardships' (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, I'm looking at you) aren't based on what you look like or where you came from, as seen in minorities across the US. Your confusing the two.

Also, let's try not incite racial or sexual orientation hatred here, you're beginning to derail the topic.

Last edited:

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
    Years
  • I'm just posting here to point out two things:
    1. The irony that "being equal" most often equates to "having the same privileges as the group that has the most," which is probably going to be white males, tbh.
    2. If we're going to throw the word "pride" around, we might as well just have "Human Pride" parades where we're all happy to just be alive and quit bickering over silly things. Hell, even "Animal Pride" or "Earth Pride" would be great too.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years

I don't understand what can make someone turn "I'm proud that I have overcame adversity and that I love myself for who I am." into "OMGZORZ I B BETTER"

ಠ_ಠ Seriously?

Years

• Your hardships are different than the hardships of an entire race. You seem to be confusing some of the finer points here. Every person experiences hardships at some point in their lives, yes. But the struggles on an entire people, especially when the people in question are victimized by the majority (in this case White/Caucasians) White, heterosexual people don't need a pride day, because they own basically the entirety of western civilization. I don't feel the need to celebrate the fact that I'm white in a country of over 100+ million other white people.

Basically, it boils down to this:

You have hardships, we all do at some point. However, your hardships' (White Anglo-Saxon Protestants, I'm looking at you) aren't based on what you look like or where you came from, as seen in minorities across the US. Your confusing the two.

Also, let's try not incite racial or sexual orientation hatred here, you're beginning to derail the topic.

Actually, my hardships ARE bases on how I look, just to clarify.

And I'm not a hater of anyone. I am just saying that I don't like how I can't get away with being proud of my orientation and and the fact that I'm white and black. If I am, then I'm a homophobic person that needs to go to hell. It's true, many people have said that to me and it bothers me. If I'm not politically correct, they will hate me.

But I am using strong words to I'll stop. My intent wasn't to challenge any lifestyle or anyone for that matter. I wanted to post this because it's a good topic to talk about. Also it lets you know "hey they have pride, they should be able to have it". I accept people, but people don't accept me... why do I accept anyway? I will never know.

Last edited:
    Years
  • But WHY are you proud of being straight? Gay people aren't proud that they're gay - they're proud that they've overcome problems related to being gay. They're proud that they have come to a point where they feel accepting of themselves. It's the overcoming problems and finding acceptance that they're proud of.

I don't know you, but if you've struggled with your sexuality in the past, but have now accepted yourself as who you are then that's wonderful. Plenty of straight people do struggle. It's just easier in general for them because society already supports them. It's a shame that "gay pride" is the term that gets used because it kind of leaves a lot of people out (bi pride? trans pride?). "Gay pride" also sets up a binary where people think that the opposite of it would be "straight pride," but really I think that the only reason you don't get straight people under the "gay pride" umbrella is that it's too long to say "people-who-have-overcome-personal-difficulties-regarding-their-sexuality pride."

Years
  • Honestly, why is anyone asking for "white" and "straight" pride celebrations to be socially accepted? If you want to celebrate who you are, do it!

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Gay people aren't proud that they're gay - they're proud that they've overcome problems related to being gay.

Only speak for yourself. I have met gay people that were so obstructive about their sexuality, and when they talk about it they never say "I'm happy to have had problems in my life because not everybody accepts my sexuality" they say "I'm gay and it's fabulous. I loooove being gay. I love the ****."

That's a legitimate answer I've gotten. Not everybody understands what gay pride is the way you do. Does running around in your underwear getting drunk show gay pride? Just an example from many gay pride events.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Only speak for yourself. I have met gay people that were so obstructive about their sexuality, and when they talk about it they never say "I'm happy to have had problems in my life because not everybody accepts my sexuality" they say "I'm gay and it's fabulous. I loooove being gay. I love the ****."

That's a legitimate answer I've gotten. Not everybody understands what gay pride is the way you do. Does running around in your underwear getting drunk show gay pride? Just an example from many gay pride events.
    ****s are ****s whether they're gay or not.

Err, didn't realize that was a bad word. Well, that's just that person's personality. It doesn't really have anything to do with Gays in general.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • Only speak for yourself. I have met gay people that were so obstructive about their sexuality, and when they talk about it they never say "I'm happy to have had problems in my life because not everybody accepts my sexuality" they say "I'm gay and it's fabulous. I loooove being gay. I love the ****."

I never realized all the gay people you've met were all the gay people in the world. o: We must have met in real life!

Many? More like very few. Most pride events are family events - where alcohol is banned. Obviously you have that stereotype so engraved into your head that you think because it happens sometimes that it must happen all the time.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I never realized all the gay people you've met were all the gay people in the world. o: We must have met in real life!

Many? More like very few. Most pride events are family events - where alcohol is banned. Obviously you have that stereotype so engraved into your head that you think because it happens sometimes that it must happen all the time.

What are you talking about? I specifically responded to her post to say all gays aren't the same, nowhere in my post does it say all gay people are the same. You're putting words in my mouth and being sarcastic, if you don't have an actual argument why are you trying to antagonize me?

Obviously you''re very upset by this. I've seen plenty of gay pride events like that. I didn't say they all were like that.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • What are you talking about? I specifically responded to her post to say all gays aren't the same, nowhere in my post does it say all gay people are the same. You're putting words in my mouth and being sarcastic, if you don't have an actual argument why are you trying to antagonize me?

Obviously you''re very upset by this. I've seen plenty of gay pride events like that. I didn't say they all were like that.

I missread, and I apologize. But you don't have to be so rude about it :(

Last edited:
    Back