• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: On Tuesdays Oryx and Triforce think it's Wednesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I don't like CSS for some reason, if I had liked it a little more I probably could have become a web designer.

That's a big leap, is that because you're good at other kinds of coding? Because web design takes so much more than CSS.

Years
  • That's a big leap, is that because you're good at other kinds of coding? Because web design takes so much more than CSS.

Well it's more around the fact that I don't really have an eye for how things look really, anything is fine as long as it's readable to me, and if I'm correct CSS means custom style sheet, which in terms means it's used to alter how things look like right? If that's true you should get why I don't really like CSS then.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Well it's more around the fact that I don't really have an eye for how things look really, anything is fine as long as it's readable to me, and if I'm correct CSS means custom style sheet, which in terms means it's used to alter how things look like right? If that's true you should get why I don't really like CSS then.

Oh no my question was the logical step of "If I was good at CSS then I could be a web designer", not why you don't like CSS. :)

Years
  • Okay, maybe I was a bit exaggerative on the all caps thing.

But i've never really attempted to understand how to use CSS, and it envies me when people use such cool backgrounds in some of their threads.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Ahh! I knew I was missing some context. :)

Years
  • I kind of wished they had a place to show off your programming skills now. I would really love a competition of that sorts but there aren't many programmers on PC which sucks. xD

Years
  • I haven't worked with PHP since 2012 that it may take me a bit of reading again to see how it works. Yeah I tend to forget things easily like that >_<

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I kind of wished they had a place to show off your programming skills now. I would really love a competition of that sorts but there aren't many programmers on PC which sucks. xD

I was considering something for the GT but the thing is there are so many languages and lots of programmers but they all use different languages. I program but I program apps in Java, some people do web design, some do desktop applications, etc. I don't think a competition of any one language would have enough people who know that particular language. :( Although maybe web design...if only there was a way to do something like "create a feature for PC"...

Years
  • I haven't worked with PHP since 2012 that it may take me a bit of reading again to see how it works. Yeah I tend to forget things easily like that >_<

I find PHP easy to remember.

Code:
    <?php
      $x = 1;
      $y = rand(1, 100); // Generates a random number between 1 and 100.

echo("x = $x and y = $y");
      if ($x != 1)
      {
         echo("Why doesn't x = 1 anymore, someone modified it. :c");
      }
    ?>

Also, as for a competition, just because I would use C++ and someone else Java doesn't mean we can't have a competition over who can make a better Map Editor (as an example)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah but I would never enter a contest about map editing, because I don't know anything about it. That's what I mean by too varied - I use Java but I wouldn't be comfortable applying it to a desktop application because I never have. Just because you know a language doesn't mean you can use it in any way, and often languages don't overlap.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • As someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming but wants to learn it at home for free..any suggestions?

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Programming, I think, is something that you'd have to do somewhat frequently or you'll easily forget it. (Not to mention the amount of available programming languages to choose from!) If it's something you want to learn just to say "hey, look, I can make a program whee," I highly suggest you don't.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • I'm in the process of writing a forum script from scratch in PHP, and it's coming along, but it's rrreeeeeaaalllllyy cumbersome and time consuming. <_< Also I've never written non-console apps in languages like C, D, and Python, because writing a GUI blind is rather hard and prone to errors… not to mention the countless compiles for tweaking. :X

C#'s actual code structure and visual GUI builder was a stroke of genius. I'll be honest and say I really prefer the malleability of char arrays in C than strings in C# or other binary languages, though. Makes more sense IMO.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • As someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming but wants to learn it at home for free..any suggestions?

The pursuit of learning is a most manly application of your time, and programming is an extremely manly choice. There are many manly resources to learn programming for free, and which of these may be applicable depends on the language you wish to learn. For someone with no knowledge of programming whatsoever, I recommend Python as a manly choice; it should help you learn the manly basic concepts of programming without developing unmanly bad habits, and in addition has manly applications beyond those of beginners. My students have reported manly successes using https://www.codecademy.com/ - my manly day job is teaching Python (with no programming background) and C (with a little background) to cohorts of beginners, both manly and unmanly, at a university, and the manliest students in my Python classes have taken the initiative to use such resources to teach themselves.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    As someone who knows absolutely nothing about programming but wants to learn it at home for free..any suggestions?

The pursuit of learning is a most manly application of your time, and programming is an extremely manly choice. There are many manly resources to learn programming for free, and which of these may be applicable depends on the language you wish to learn. For someone with no knowledge of programming whatsoever, I recommend Python as a manly choice; it should help you learn the manly basic concepts of programming without developing unmanly bad habits, and in addition has manly applications beyond those of beginners. My students have reported manly successes using https://www.codecademy.com/ - my manly day job is teaching Python (with no programming background) and C (with a little background) to cohorts of beginners, both manly and unmanly, at a university, and the manliest students in my Python classes have taken the initiative to use such resources to teach themselves.

MANLY SUCCESS.

I was going to recommend codecademy as well, for the record.

Years
  • I guess this will make me seem a little nerdy, but the PHP application I've had made since 2012 is essentially a page that puts detailed current weather conditions into an image, dependent on the location you type in. Most recently (as in last night lol), I implemented celcius/metric support into the page alongside the already-existing fahrenheit/imperial unit support. Since the XML source I use to parse the data doesn't provide wind data in metric, I had to come up with a formula to convert it myself from miles per hour to kilometers per hour. This is also one of those applications I thought I had finished long ago, but I guess I just keep getting new ideas and add onto it. :P

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back