• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinions and thoughts on Dawn

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2022
    I really loved Dawn. She was a really unique and interesting character in my opinion. Really loved how they developed her character from the beginning of the Diamond and Pearl Series to the end. Also I really loved the humor with her Piplup as well.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    I LOVED Dawn, she was my favourite girl companion and due to that made DP series very enjoyable for me :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    When I first saw her, I viewed her to be an improvement to May. She may not have been to Misty's level of not being a Hina, but she was certainly closer to not being that than May was. As the episodes went by, however, it slowly became apparent that she actually was a Hina in entirety and stopped liking her by the time I got to the Roarke episode. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2019
    When I first saw her, I viewed her to be an improvement to May. She may not have been to Misty's level of not being a Hina, but she was certainly closer to not being that than May was. As the episodes went by, however, it slowly became apparent that she actually was a Hina in entirety and stopped liking her by the time I got to the Roarke episode. That's pretty much all I have to say on the matter.

Could u explain to me what Hina is ? :)

Years
  • Dawn was pretty much my fave of the female leads so far, although Serena is closely catching up with her.

The reasons I loved Dawn was because she was cute, had some really adorable Pokemon and was pretty much viewed more as a co-star as opposed to a side character and she also had various similarities with Ash (such as having a "mascot" starter who refuses to evolve, a Pokemon that reached its final stage quickly and is bad-tempered, an electric rodent and also both owning the Cyndaquil line) which made her interesting.

And of course, I love her beautiful blue hair and amazing fashion sense. The different outfits she's worn over the series often emphasized on pink, but all captured her cute image well. The development she had was also very well done.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Could u explain to me what Hina is ? :)

It's basically a catch-all term referring to how girls in anime, specifically the girls from Love Hina, the Fiorello Fangirls from Princess vs. Princess, Maron, Krillin's ex-girlfriend, from Dragon Ball Z; the girls (especially Sonsaku Hakufu) from Battle Vixens, and the like are depicted. To give you a good idea on what that is like, their personalities depict them as loud, whiney, obnoxious, silly, spoiled, throwing temper tantrums, and basically overall acting like, to put it bluntly, bimbos. In some cases they are also highly sexualized.

And I formerly used the term "female anime stereotype" for this archetype. The term "Hina" is derived from two sources (both of which are where I first learned of it as a kid): the Pokémon Episode Princess vs. Princess (due to the setting being O-Hina Town), and Love Hina (I probably don't need to say how it's impact on the name is demonstrated).

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • To give you a good idea on what that is like, their personalities depict them as loud, whiney, obnoxious, silly, spoiled, throwing temper tantrums, and basically overall acting like, to put it bluntly, bimbos. In some cases they are also highly sexualized.

Please give specific examples in which Dawn fits this stereotype, because very little, if not none, of what you described matches Dawn's personality :V

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Please give specific examples in which Dawn fits this stereotype, because very little, if not none, of what you described matches Dawn's personality :V

Okay, I'll give you the bit about Dawn not only complaining about bedhead, but basically insulting Ash in response (I think it was the episode where Buneary had debuted). I'll have to read back up on Bulbapedia for other examples, since it's admittedly been a while since I watched the episodes up to Roarke, but that was the first thing that came to mind. And believe me, I did try to like or at least tolerate her.

Wobbu

Years
  • Okay, I'll give you the bit about Dawn not only complaining about bedhead, but basically insulting Ash in response (I think it was the episode where Buneary had debuted). I'll have to read back up on Bulbapedia for other examples, since it's admittedly been a while since I watched the episodes up to Roarke, but that was the first thing that came to mind. And believe me, I did try to like or at least tolerate her.

How does one instance mark her as a stereotype? Misty has also whined about her appearance and insulted Ash, yet you praise her for not fitting this hina stereotype. Unless you can find those other examples that you can't remember, and those examples can't be applied to Misty, then I think you should reconsider your disapproval towards Dawn or at least give her another chance.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    How does one instance mark her as a stereotype? Misty has also whined about her appearance and insulted Ash, yet you praise her for not fitting this hina stereotype. Unless you can find those other examples that you can't remember, and those examples can't be applied to Misty, then I think you should reconsider your disapproval towards Dawn or at least give her another chance.

Unfortunately, unlike Misty (who at least proved herself with Princess vs. Princess), there wasn't anything AFAIK to actually definitively prove that Dawn wasn't that (like, I don't know, actually not going with a gaggle of fangirls screaming like animals, which, BTW, was my first exposure to that stereotype). And there were other instances that I can think of, that was just the first that came to mind. I will admit that at least she managed to actually do good in her first three episodes. I guess the bit about Pokémon Contests didn't help either, nor the fact that people bashed Misty for being "Ash's cheerleader" and yet they ignored the fact that Dawn literally acted as Ash's cheerleader (even wearing the getup). Oh, and there's also what Masamitsu Hidaka stated regarding the girls back in 2008, where he made it pretty clear that the girls after Misty were specifically designed to just be fanservice objects (and considering he was still present by DP, albeit not as director, he knew about Dawn as well) without even attempting to give them character. Either way, she's better than May, but not enough to actually redeem her, not yet anyways.

Last edited:

Wobbu

Years
  • Unfortunately, unlike Misty (who at least proved herself with Princess vs. Princess), there wasn't anything AFAIK to actually definitively prove that Dawn wasn't that (like, I don't know, actually not going with a gaggle of fangirls screaming like animals, which, BTW, was my first exposure to that stereotype). And there were other instances that I can think of, that was just the first that came to mind. I will admit that at least she managed to actually do good in her first three episodes. I guess the bit about Pokémon Contests didn't help either, nor the fact that people bashed Misty for being "Ash's cheerleader" and yet they ignored the fact that Dawn literally acted as Ash's cheerleader (even wearing the getup). Oh, and there's also what Masamitsu Hidaka stated regarding the girls back in 2008, where he made it pretty clear that the girls after Misty were specifically designed to just be fanservice objects (and considering he was still present by DP, albeit not as director, he knew about Dawn as well) without even attempting to give them character. Either way, she's better than May, but not enough to actually redeem her, not yet anyways.

How can you say Dawn never proved herself out of the stereotype when you only know of less than 10% of her series?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    How can you say Dawn never proved herself out of the stereotype when you only know of less than 10% of her series?

I read them on Bulbapedia, read episode reviews of DP, look at screencaps for DP, read comparisons, and the like. If you can't watch them (and after we stopped using cable, even if I DID give a care to watch DP, I obviously had no chance at doing so since Cartoon Network's a cable network), you compensate for that problem by reading up on episodes via Bulbapedia, reviews on SPPf and BMGf and on here, and the like. I also know of various errors that were so... well, risqué it's almost as though the writers actually were trying to implement nudity in there. It's comparable to studying history: Obviously, you can't have experienced history since most times it occurred before you are even born, so you have to instead study it and then deduce what happened from the evidence, report what the evidence says happened.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Well, obviously reading articles isn't going very well for you, as your views on what each character's traits are are awfully far from the truth. That you list off a load of negative character traits that you hate that would more accurately describe OS Misty or Iris (who you apparently like) than Dawn or May is amusing. Misty threw more temper tantrums, yelled and was more whiny than any of the other girls. Dawn's personality was similar to Ash, except more girly in caring about how she looked. If you would like evidence, watch episodes DP001-DP191 where you can actually view Dawn's personality.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Well, obviously reading articles isn't going very well for you, as your views on what each character's traits are are awfully far from the truth. That you list off a load of negative character traits that you hate that would more accurately describe OS Misty or Iris (who you apparently like) than Dawn or May is amusing. Misty threw more temper tantrums, yelled and was more whiny than any of the other girls. Dawn's personality was similar to Ash, except more girly in caring about how she looked. If you would like evidence, watch episodes DP001-DP191 where you can actually view Dawn's personality.

I DID watch DP001-DP015 (I think that was the first Roarke episode), and in fact, I actually stopped liking her about halfway through.

And for the record, I read them and absorbed the material. And I might as well point out that if Misty was indeed the way you described her, she would have behaved EXACTLY like the girls from Princess vs. Princess (you know, the ones who screamed when Fiorello Cappuccino was mentioned and actually acted like wildebeests stampeding at one point), instead of, you know, NOT behaving like them at all in that episode (and the reason why is because those girls were my first exposure to those characters, and my mom, who actually taught me to hate them, even noted Misty didn't act like them at all when she described the episode depicted the girls as loud, whiney and obnoxious when stating she hated how that episode depicted women, and that's just from my asking her. She gave a similar description of the girls from Love Hina, BTW, after not only looking at the cover of one during vacation, but even briefly reading through it, so that's how I knew Misty wasn't like them at all, either). Had I been the writers and I aimed for Misty to be a Hina stereotype, the kind of thing you described Misty to be, guess what? I'd make darn certain that she behaved exactly as they did, Jessie as well, regarding Fiorello and at the same time want the doll set as well to make it as blatant as possible.

And for the record, Dawn wasn't that similar to Ash. Last I checked, Ash doesn't complain about bedhead, and while she does help Pikachu out, she definitely didn't pull off reckless maneuvers, unlike Ash when he tried to save Pikachu in the third DP episode while she watched and not did anything at all.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Why on earth are you saying, "Dawn complaining about bedhead" like its some negative trait? Characters can't complain if they wake up with messy hair? You think that's some negative trait? And what show are you watching? Every single character in the show whines and complains in various episodes of the anime. Its almost as if you want everyone to be bland and one-dimensional and have no reaction to anything.

And Jorah is right, Misty especially in Kanto did far more complaining and throwing temper tantrums than any other character. Your double standards are laughable but I realize you've been like this for years even though people have been telling you you're wrong since 2007 on Bulbagarden, Serebii, here and any other site you've ever been on.

Considering you don't even watch the show and base all your knowledge on what you read online, I don't even understand why you think you have any valid opinion on the anime.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Why on earth are you saying, "Dawn complaining about bedhead" like its some negative trait? Characters can't complain if they wake up with messy hair? You think that's some negative trait? And what show are you watching? Every single character in the show whines and complains in various episodes of the anime. Its almost as if you want everyone to be bland and one-dimensional and have no reaction to anything.

And Jorah is right, Misty especially in Kanto did far more complaining and throwing temper tantrums than any other character. Your double standards are laughable but I realize you've been like this for years even though people have been telling you you're wrong since 2007 on Bulbagarden, Serebii, here and any other site you've ever been on.

Considering you don't even watch the show and base all your knowledge on what you read online, I don't even understand why you think you have any valid opinion on the anime.

1. If you watched Princess vs. Princess, especially the scene where they first announce the Queen of the Princess Festival Contest, and pay particular attention to how Misty and Jessie acted compared to the other girls, you'd know EXACTLY why I am saying that she is NOT of that stereotype (obviously if she was the kind you and Jorah were describing her as, she and Jessie would have "jumped the bandwagon" with them so to speak). It's not double standards at all (and for the record, my mom used the exact same description for those girls that she did with Love Hina, so please don't tell me I'm wrong about her, May, or Dawn, because I'm not), and I actually hate double standards.

2. I actually watched the first episode of DP up to the first match against Roark, also the special movie splicing all three versions, so I did actually have some experience with the episodes in addition to actually reading up online. And for the record, I can assure you that reading up on other things is a good substitute, especially when there are plenty of instances where it's impossible to do a first hand account (like the Civil War, since I doubt any of you lived during that time).

EDIT: And for the record, I only hate May and Dawn from the Anime. May and Dawn from the games I actually have no problem with.

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • When I first watched Sinnoh episode, I didn't like Dawn too much, possibly because it was right after Hoenn after May left. I don't know exactly why, maybe because I just didn't like her character much. After Dawn appeared in Unova, I kinda started liking her and when I rewatched a lot of Sinnoh, I actually liked her a lot more.

Character wise, she was kinda unique. She was a bit different than May, I don't know if she had more character development, because I didn't watch a lot of Sinnoh because it was so long.

To give a 100% answer though, I would have to rewatch all of Sinnoh. But she still is not in my top 3 girls.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • My username should already explain this to you. She's pretty much my favorite Pokegirl by far. She's like an expanded version of May yet still had unique traits from her. Plus her wardrobe of clothes makes her look amazing.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    1. If you watched Princess vs. Princess, especially the scene where they first announce the Queen of the Princess Festival Contest, and pay particular attention to how Misty and Jessie acted compared to the other girls, you'd know EXACTLY why I am saying that she is NOT of that stereotype (obviously if she was the kind you and Jorah were describing her as, she and Jessie would have "jumped the bandwagon" with them so to speak). It's not double standards at all (and for the record, my mom used the exact same description for those girls that she did with Love Hina, so please don't tell me I'm wrong about her, May, or Dawn, because I'm not), and I actually hate double standards.

What the hell does this have anything to do with the way Dawn acts? Your comparisons are nonsensical, we've never seen Dawn or any other main pokemon girl swoon over an older anime guy in a fangirl way.

You keep bringing up nonsense like the Civil War, Love Hina, and your mother? WTF are you even talking about? How many times are you going to bring up off-topic stuff that has nothing to do with what people are talking about? You drag down every thread with your bizarre comparisons.

You don't even watch the anime so why are you even here?

Wobbu

Years
  • Dawn was a great character. I wouldn't say that she is my favorite but what I liked most about her was that she was very independent. There were many episodes that were about her that would put Ash and other characters on the backburner, which is good because we all need a break from Ash everyone once in a while :P

Of course Dawn wasn't the only character who did that, but her friendly personality and strong ambition made her stood out. It's a little unfortunate that she was given a goal that was very similar to May's, however :\

Back