• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

organic chemistry

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
Years
  • did you have it in your courses, if so, do you hate it or really hate it. share your experiences about it. i really would like to know for reasons.

Years
  • Loved it. Learning the tools of synthesizing chemicals was really cool. What's really important is knowing all the types of reactions as well as keeping in mind the geometry of reactions.

Is this something you're learning in school right now?

Years
  • In high school I did physics and my uni courses have always been geared towards teaching people who aren't going to get that sort of thing. So nope ^_^

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Since I'm doing a biomedical degree, biochemistry is pretty much at the crux of what I study. I'm taking a double credit point core subject "Molecular and Cellular Biomedicine which combines knowledge from 5-6 different disciplines within the fields of Science and Medicine. It's really interesting stuff. I'm not a fan of pure chemistry or inorganic chemistry though. Although co-ordination chemistry is really interesting too!

Last edited:

Salzorrah

Years
  • Loved it. Learning the tools of synthesizing chemicals was really cool. What's really important is knowing all the types of reactions as well as keeping in mind the geometry of reactions.

Is this something you're learning in school right now?

yes and tbh i hate it. i mean i love chemistry and all but this certain subject is really giving me a hard time ;-; probably because im not a major of chemistry :( even if i know how it does, it seems i cant get it right or something :| dont get me wrong, its interesting, but tbh its a hassle for me :(

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • If you're one who has a well-developed spatial awareness, then the geometry of molecules and essentially their "compatibility" for a lack of a better word, to react with one another based on such geometry is an easy concept to grasp. I found it difficult too, especially in first year.

Last edited:

Sir Codin

Organic chemistry was a class I had to take for my biology degree, so I have familiarity with the subject. Like with everything, parts of it I could grasp easily I enjoyed, while parts I struggled with I hated.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    HOW DID I MISS THIS THREAD

I have a master's degree in medicinal chemistry/organic synthesis. It's my THING. I'm not saying I'm super good at it actually :/ But it's what I should be good at, if anything, hahaha. I do love it though! Synthing is great fun and exciting. When it's not super tedious and everything goes wrong and suddenly your dialysis bag decided to break and you're like well fuck that's one week of work down the drain.

Years
  • yes and tbh i hate it. i mean i love chemistry and all but this certain subject is really giving me a hard time ;-; probably because im not a major of chemistry :( even if i know how it does, it seems i cant get it right or something :| dont get me wrong, its interesting, but tbh its a hassle for me :(

Is there anything you're struggling with atm?

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Im taking a chemistry course, but it isn't organic chemistry. i dislike chemistry a lot, so I doubt I would like organic chemistry any better.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Orgo was fine. Not my favorite subject, not my least favorite. I felt like it was one of those fields where it seemed really complex at first, but then stuff started to click and make more sense conceptually. I recall having a bit of difficulty with carbonyl chemistry and all of the different reactions at first, but once I realized that a lot of them followed similar patterns, it made a lot more sense, and it was easier to build from there. Follow the electrons and such. I never took any higher-level organic chemistry (just two semesters at the undergrad level), so I can't comment on what it's like as you move past the basics, but I thought it provided a good foundation for thinking about chemistry and for problem-solving in general, and while there are certainly subjects I've used more, I did find it helpful in later biochemistry courses.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • ewww organic chemistry

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I liked the basics of it tho, about hydrocarbons, their functional groups, their reactions and all that jazz. They're really fun to play around with when you manage to get the grasp of it.

But MEMORIZING ALL THESE DIFFERENT FORMS OF COMPLEX COMPOUNDS, THE ORDER OF HOW THEIR NAMING IS SUPPOSED TO BE WITHOUT GIVING ANY EXPLANATION ON WHY IS IT THAT WAY, OH YEAH AND THEY'RE LIKE A FUCK TON OF BENZENE COMBINING TOGETHER AND THE LECTURER WANTS US TO DRAW THEM THE EXACT WAY IT'S DRAWN ON THE BOOK SHE WROTE I CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You can tell I hate organic chemistry because of that alone. Good lord she is NOT fit for teaching at all.

Salzorrah

Years
  • stereochemistry tho ugh those conformations and shit

tbh the only thing i understand in org chem is like nomenclature, and im not even 100% master at it :( functional groups is a good topic tho imo

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • ewww organic chemistry

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

I liked the basics of it tho, about hydrocarbons, their functional groups, their reactions and all that jazz. They're really fun to play around with when you manage to get the grasp of it.

But MEMORIZING ALL THESE DIFFERENT FORMS OF COMPLEX COMPOUNDS, THE ORDER OF HOW THEIR NAMING IS SUPPOSED TO BE WITHOUT GIVING ANY EXPLANATION ON WHY IS IT THAT WAY, OH YEAH AND THEY'RE LIKE A FUCK TON OF BENZENE COMBINING TOGETHER AND THE LECTURER WANTS US TO DRAW THEM THE EXACT WAY IT'S DRAWN ON THE BOOK SHE WROTE I CAN'T EVEN UNDERSTAND IT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

You can tell I hate organic chemistry because of that alone. Good lord she is NOT fit for teaching at all.
    Oh the feels

I have to remember all 20 amino acids, how to draw them, their single and triple letter codes and be able to identify them if given an image of one. I also need to know how to draw all four nitrogen bases, ATP, ADP as well know how to draw every reactant, product, enzyme and co-factor involved in every stage of metabolism as well as their names, pathways etc.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • Oh the feels

I have to remember all 20 amino acids, how to draw them, their single and triple letter codes and be able to identify them if given an image of one. I also need to know how to draw all four nitrogen bases, ATP, ADP as well know how to draw every reactant, product, enzyme and co-factor involved in every stage of metabolism as well as their names, pathways etc.

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

don't remind me on the metabolism one that I have to retake. oh god.

Years
  • Oh the feels

The most useless aspect of my biochemistry education. I forgot how to draw them by heart, but it doesn't take two seconds to look them up.

Toweleeeie

Don't Forget to Bring a Towel
    Years
  • Took two semesters of Organic, I actually really enjoyed it. Obviously learning about the fundamental compounds and groups of compounds that build so much of our world, all living things obviously and the synthetic products we use from plastics to pharmaceuticals is interesting. What I found most interesting for myself at least was analysis, using instruments like NMR to determine the identity of functional groups and compounds.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    legit failed orgo 2, retook the class at a different school, easy as shit, which is why I feel like I can legitimately blame that class/teacher for being hard

Had to relearn all of it in like a week for the OAT, did terrible; I remember Ozonolysis (among many reactions, this one just stood out) as being pretty easy, but third time around I just couldn't grasp it at all

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Today I tried to put a dodecane onto a molecule with amine functionality.

The TLC plates showed very confusing dots. Fml

Back