• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overnight Studying

Years
  • Me? Study for more than an hour or two at a time? Hahaha!

I hardly studied at all. I paid attention in class, did my homework, and usually that was enough. My 'studying' was cramming really quick right before the test. Never did an all-nighter. Essays and projects, though, that was another story... but again, never an all-nighter, just late nights. :p

If that's what it takes for other people, then that's what they should do. It doesn't sound like the healthiest thing in the world, but if it's the difference between a pass and a fail, I can see why they do it.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • I dunno about studying all night, since I usually studied fairly early in the day. :P But I CAN say that I have stayed up all night on homework. >__> Especially that year I had summer homework that I procrastinated reallllly badly with. >__>

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I haven't pull off all nighters studying. It's not healthy to stay up late and study all night, since you're more likely to forget the information the next day.

Years
  • If one is cram-studying all night the day before an exam then I'm going to say no. That lack of sleep will surely affect your exam score one way or another, unless you're used to not getting enough sleep.

Either way, missing a day or two of sleep isn't going to badly affect someone and definitely doesn't go on the "toughest things to do" list, so if one feels the need to, go for it. Like sammi said, it doesn't sound like the healthiest thing in the world but if you need to, go on ahead. I do feel it's much, much better to spread your studying out rather than doing it all in one night... though I never was very good at the former. >_>

I've only "studied" all night once and that was voice messaging with a friend to practice memorizing our presentation. Needless to say I found out the next day that everyone read off of their index cards/papers even though the professor clearly stated in the instructions that we were not to read off of anything. Careless professors are careless.

Ayselipera

The only studying I do is the 5 minutes before a test if the teacher gives us time. I've never really sat down and studied anything, but I do pretty decent regardless which makes me wonder how much better I would do if I actually studied. I don't care enough to find out though yayayaya

Years
    • Seen Aug 24, 2012
    Yes I have. I recommend not using caffeine (coffee) if you can, or atleast do not use it until the last 6 hours that you need to be awake. Using it early on will just wear you out and make you crash.

Also, use caution if you intend to use drugs to stay alert for extended periods of time.

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i have never pulled an all-nighter (so far, at least). as far as i know, it's never good to do so the night before the actual test.

blackRoronoa

I'm a LOLWUT PEAR :P
    Years
  • I've never stayed late at night to study :P I usually do last-minute cramming or not study at all.
    And to think that I get higher results than those guys who study all the time :P

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I excel at overnight studying, ahaha. :3
    Even when I say that, I go to bed between midnight to 1 AM when I actually do study overnight. I've stayed up til 2AM-ish on a few instances. BUT, I make sure to get adequate sleep the night before the test. I'm no good at waking up early to study for tests, so it's definitely the better alternative in my opinion. ;___;

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I always study overnight...for some reason I get better results when I do. I also cram a lot. Cramming ftw!

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • Have you ever stayed overnight -- very late -- studying? Is it a healthy, good way to study?

depends. My study habit is always cramming; last minute note peeks are most effective for me, but that does not last long term I know. I usually study up to 12 MN, if the test is the day after, and usually never if I still have two more days.

ON TOPIC: It is not of course. You get really less information, which is really bad. Trust me, I have experieces. Better study a week before if possibe.

Juicy

Bone to be wild!
    Years
  • I have never stayed up overnight or really late studying and I don't think I ever will. I'm much more interested in getting my sleep than trying to get a slightly higher mark by studying overnight.

When it comes to essays and homework I need to get in to pass then I will often leave them to the night before and stay up quite late finishing them but never overnight. I believe the latest I stayed up to was around 4am for homework and that's something I tend to do frequently on the computer so it's nothing big.

Years
    • Seen Jan 21, 2012
    I can't study, I have this odd memory. I hardly forget things. The issue is when I start to study, I end up researching, then digging into things, then taking hard notes, by the end of the night I would have gone to The The History of Pokemon to Lavender Syndrome. I just memorize ****. It's easier.

Years
  • Usually I can't concentrate on studying for more than maybe 15 minutes anyway, so situations like these are unlikely to happen, but maybe a month ago, I worked on a presentation until something like 03:30 or 04:30. And didn't sleep very well after that. Needless to say, the next day was a horrible one. The presentation however I somehow managed to delay for another week, and then it became an unexpected success.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Writing papers or doing assignments? Yes. Studying? Nope. I'm not the type of person that can study for long periods - and in fact, I do my best work when I cram the morning of a test or whatever. If I have a quiz, most of the time I'll just review stuff right before I go in to class. It's fresher in my mind that way than if I study the night before or whatnot.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I honestly don't understand how people can spend all night studying, without sleep, and then sit an exam the next day. My room-mate in my last year of uni did this for all of his exams (and all of his other exams up to that point, as he was doing his 'Year abroad' or whatever Americans call it). For me, I need lots of sleep beforehand so that I'm well-rested for anything that could happen the next day. I have this fear of just falling asleep in the middle of the exam and handing in a half-completed paper and getting screwed over because I was too stressed out to fall asleep in the first place... But given that my strategy for exams is to keep calm at all times, staying up all night and trying to cram EVERY! LITTLE! THING! in at once probably wouldn't go down well in any event.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • I've done the all-nighter before, but usually it was half studying and half getting distracted by other things. I just don't have the attention span for non-stop studying.

I've found out that over the years, I started doing the same on tests whether I studied or not, so in recent years I've been pulling all nighters for study purposes less and less. Now, as far as pulling all nighters for web surfing or video gaming, that's a whole other story, but my days of *studying* all nighters were pretty much over as soon as I started my grad school days.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I never study as I lose interest in it in about 10 minutes. Plus, I don't really need it until I get onto my GSCE's. Even then, I wouldn't study past about 10pm.

Back