• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated artists?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Some ""musicians"" seem to get far more attention than what they actually deserve. They have next to no-talent yet are still lauded as one of the greatest artists around. So, bands or musicians you think are overrated?

Ke$ha - She can't sing, she has to have an autotuner and even then her voice sounds terrible.
    Queen - were made out to be one of the best bands of the 70s, admittedly Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, but apart from that their albums were weak and all their other popular songs were hardly original.
    Iron Maiden - did nothing new for metal, not original, not creative, simple songs when compared to other metal bands.
    My Chemical Romance - some people find their whiney lyrics appealing, apart from that they have nothing going for them, their actual sound is just repeated chords over and over.
    Oasis - Wonderwall was ok, apart from that they're simple and did nothing new, they ripped off Blur.
    Owl City - total rip off of The Postal Service, the only difference is Owl City's lyrics are far worse and he's not as good a singer.
    Lady Gaga - has done nothing new, unimaginative lyrics, seems to be looked upon as an icon rather than because of her apparent musical "talent" which consists of singing with an autotuner which is then overproduced.

Every single "tween rock" band like Nickelback and Three Days Grace which all sound the same and just repeat the same riffs with lyrics that sound the same as thousands of other songs.

Vulpes bicaudata

Charmander Fanboy
    Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2011
    I'm none too fond of most of the music of Johannes Brahms... He's better than practically all popular music, but still...

Years
  • Three Days Grace is pretty good. Owl City I listen to him sometimes, NEVER DIS QUEEN!!! I think every single DISNEY band is Overrated. put those on there!

PuNkSter

Typhlosion is on fire!
    Years
  • There's lot's, including today's mainstream music. You all know the artist/bands so no need for me to list them. Music will truly never be the same back then.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • Okay....gonna get murdered for this but I have two:

Glee. Yeah, not a traditional "artist", but they sell so many recrods they might as well be. But...the autotune. Oh, god, the AUTOTUNE. When you're watching it, I can kinda understand the camp appeal, but just the electronic song with none of the visuals? I'll pass.

Lady Gaga. She's a decent singer but she's nothing absolutely amazing and, as you said, everyone just seems to care more about her "OMG so crazy smexxy" outfits than about her songs whic are...unoriginal, to say the least.

TheReal

Epic Member
    Years
  • I really like this music threads..so..
    Queen isn't overrated. Freddie Mercury had a great voice, it's really hard to don't recognize that. He made almost every song of Queen a masterpiece. So, it's normal all those songs sound good to almost all people. It's deserved the fame they have.
    Now, overrated artists:

- Lady Gaga for sure. Polemics, polemics.. who sold a lot of albuns, singing = 0.
    - Owl city too. I hate their songs with all my forces. But many teenagers love that because they are dumb and listen to everything that passes on MTV.
    - Ke$ha same as both above.
    - MCR same too. MTV I love you, thanks for destroying music.
    - Nirvana: only popular because Kurt Cobain's suicide/polemics about that.
    - Kiss: they are pure image.
    - Bob Dylan: he has some good songs, but a lot of bad albuns too.
    - Slipknot: modern Kiss, but worst.
    - Green Day, Good Charlotte, Sum 41: MTV fame problem again. Talent? Little.
    - Nicleback: pure garbage, also all songs look equal.
    - David Matthews Band: why are they famous? they are horrible.
    - U2: they make thank Bono's charity his success. Some good songs, but lots and lots of bad albuns.
    - Sex pistols: overrated singer with a average rest of band.
    - Radiohead: the Bends was amazing. Then they tried to not make sense and became another over-sensationalized indie must-have. Plus, they stole their title from the Talking Heads. You better be good if you do that.
    - Pearl Jam: don't make me defend this. I just really find Eddie Vedder annoying.
    - Mettalica: around the time of the emergence of "speed-metal," these guys were one of many bands doing exactly the same thing. But they had the breaks and the right publicity team and the right Misfits T-shirts and the grandiose visions of MC Hammer-ish gold-plated bathtub fixtures to keep them reaching for the stars. That their own we're-in-couples-counseling documentary helped inspire a parody cartoon show ("Metalocalypse" the best thing on TV) should help keep them off this list. But it doesn't. Listen to Abruptum instead.

And there are many more, I didn't list any hip hop artist, which are a lot overrated, for example. I just don't want to type more :P

reyzn

Years
  • Definitely agree with the mentioning of Ke$ha and Nickelback. I never really understood the Nickelback appeal since all their songs sound the same to me..

Silver

Kyle
    Years
  • I've gotta disagree on the Queen point. Freddie Mercury was a musical genius, you'd pretty much have to be daft not to see that.

Years
  • Okay, here's my list. I might update this occasionally as it's inevitable that I'll miss a heap of bands that are overrated.

Nirvana: Yes, they are great, but they are definitely overrated. Take out Kurt Cobain's death and his good looks (therefore getting rid of all his fangirls) and you've got yourself a less known band. Nirvana were great, but they were not the best band of all time and I'm so sick of people debating his death and the thousands of people who obsess over him because he killed himself. Just for the record Bleach is my favourite album, which for some reason is the album most fans of the band seem to ignore.

AC/DC (after Bon Scott): Bon Scott was a king among men and then he died and was replaced by Brian Johnson. AC/DC used to be great, they played old blues songs with a nice rock and roll twist on them. They were creative, inventful. Back In Black wasn't bad, I'll give them that, but they went from this fun-loving Australian band into a stadium rock outfit who had shredding solos layered over the same chords in the background. No wonder people think all their songs sound the same. Fair enough, they have a select few good songs after Bon Scott, but they are definitely overrated nowadays. Nothing beats songs like Jailbreak and Live Wire.

Radiohead: They had some great tunes but like the person a few posts above me said, they tried too hard to be different. They're not artistic geniuses. Their later stuff is still good (eg. In Rainbows) but they get way too much respect in comparison to how good they are and it's annoying how many pretentious indie kids think they're better at appreciating music than other people because they listen to Radiohead.

Nickelback: No idea why these guys are on the radio and have no clue how they sell records. I've yet to meet a single person who likes Nickelback. All of their songs sound the same and yet they still receive success.

Now I could go off on a tangeant and mention a whole lot of bands I don't like, but that wouldn't be sticking to the topic of the thread. A band isn't overrated just because you don't like them. If that's the case I could mention all the Glee music, all the pop/punk bands like All American Rejects and A Day To Remember and the list goes on. But the bands I've mentioned above are overrated in my opinion. Nirvana because of Kurt Cobain's death, AC/DC (after Bon Scott) and Nickelback because of they release the same songs over and over and Radiohead because too many people think Thom Yorke is a musical genius when he isn't.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Seriously I'm going to put myself out there. Anyone who is into Pop culture/music knows why GaGa is such a big deal... her music IS unique and though i don't always agree with how outrageous she dresses, she is still pretty influential in the sense that she allows our youth to not be clone and express themselves through clothing. She is also one of the biggest video artists since Michael Jackson, Madonna and Beyonce. Just because something is popular does not mean it is overrated.

Blackhebrew2

Epic Banana Ninja!
    Years
  • While I agree Nirvana won't not be half as popular without Kurt dying,I like some of their songs. I don't like Lady Gaga,but she is making money and I congratulate her on that. I LOVE Iron Maiden. It's just an escape from the mainstream rubbish that is there today (I believe it's rubbish we are all entitled to our opinions,but both sides of the arguement don't listen to the music first.) I LOVE Metallica mostly because they were the first metal band I heard. And yes,I am a teenager,but I'm not trying to be different or cool. Infact I am critcised for my musical choice. I played Painkiller by Judas Priest and all my friends dismissed it as noise in the first four seconds. They didn;t even hear the rest of it. I dismissed Lady Gaga as boring AFTER I hear the song.

Years
  • Some ""musicians"" seem to get far more attention than what they actually deserve. They have next to no-talent yet are still lauded as one of the greatest artists around. So, bands or musicians you think are overrated?

Ke$ha - She can't sing, she has to have an autotuner and even then her voice sounds terrible.
    Queen - were made out to be one of the best bands of the 70s, admittedly Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, but apart from that their albums were weak and all their other popular songs were hardly original.
    Iron Maiden - did nothing new for metal, not original, not creative, simple songs when compared to other metal bands.
    My Chemical Romance - some people find their whiney lyrics appealing, apart from that they have nothing going for them, their actual sound is just repeated chords over and over.
    Oasis - Wonderwall was ok, apart from that they're simple and did nothing new, they ripped off Blur.
    Owl City - total rip off of The Postal Service, the only difference is Owl City's lyrics are far worse and he's not as good a singer.
    Lady Gaga - has done nothing new, unimaginative lyrics, seems to be looked upon as an icon rather than because of her apparent musical "talent" which consists of singing with an autotuner which is then overproduced.

Every single "tween rock" band like Nickelback and Three Days Grace which all sound the same and just repeat the same riffs with lyrics that sound the same as thousands of other songs.

Ke$ha is an example of what producers can do to people's voices pretty much, but I do find her lyrics catchy.
    Queen- I TOTALLY disagree with -->b ut apart from that their albums were weak and all their other popular songs were hardly original.
    Weak? I'd like to see you do better and BE original.
    I think Iron Maiden is okay :P I havent really listened to them but I get yout point.
    MCR - I'm not going to lie, some of their songs/lyrics ARE really good, but its true about the chords and stuff. Plus the only good album they really made was their 2nd one, Three Cheers for Revenge.
    Owl City- I'm not a fan. Fireflies is SUCH an annoying song. Autotune?
    Gaga - Have you heard her live? She can ACTUALLY sing though. And have you seen her play piano? Don't go calling people you don't like untalented, and you probably cant even live up to them.

That is all.

Years
    • Seen today

Completely disagree with this one I'm afriad. Though the rest you do have a valid point, this is just short sighted. Iron Maiden are one of the most technical metal bands of our time. They've proved to influence bands like Metallica, Dream Theater, Anthrax, Cradle Of Filth, Naglfar, not just to start music but to improve and change their sound. They've been around since '75 remember, they have a large discography. I can also say they're technical as I've tried playing some of their songs on guitar and bass and it's proved to be difficult. They're very much a corner stone to metal and not overrated at all. Unless you've been listening to their latest work I guess, it can't really compare to the older stuff.

The Real said:
    - Slipknot: modern Kiss, but worst.
    Sorry what? Have you heard Kiss before? Or Slipknot? they're nothing alike. Different genre for starters. This is Kiss and this is Slipknot. Slight difference eh?

The Real said:
    - Radiohead: the Bends was amazing. Then they tried to not make sense and became another over-sensationalized indie must-have. Plus, they stole their title from the Talking Heads. You better be good if you do that.

I wouldn't say that they're so highly rated to be honest, they're som of the best musicians in the business with more than one album to inspire many bands to get going. Tom Yorke is extremely intellegent aside of his edgy exterior. Ever listen to the lyrics? But, I wouldn't say Radiohead are overrated, they don't do that well in the charts at all which for an Alternative Rock band is proof enough. They also took their name from a Talking Heads song called "Radio Head" in which they claimed was the "least annoying song on the album", that album being "True Stories".

Most pop artists in my mind are overrated, people tend to think that they're all fantastic musicians and or singers when it's mostly people behind the scenes who keep a lot of the artists going. With a few exceptions of course, few being the key word here. I would also say Sex Pistols, but they defined a road for Punk, but other than that, they're pretty overrated. Bon Jovi, I have no idea why they're so popular, they have 2 good songs I think? I mean, ask an average person enthusiastic about music to name 5 Bon Jovi songs, they'd struggle. Green Day being another, they were a pretty decent young band before American Idiot, then that album was released and they were no longer a band but a franchise. In my opinion, they killed Punk Rock, after American Idiot how many Punk Rock bands have broken the mould? Not even Green Day. My favourite examples of overrated bands though without even having to explain them are Nickelback and AC/DC. AC/DC just having the same album time and time again and Nickelback going from Grunge to all about the glory. Just skimmed through rather than rehashing things people already mentioned.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
  • Oasis - Wonderwall was ok, apart from that they're simple and did nothing new, they ripped off Blur.

Disagree. "(What's the Story) Morning Glory?" For me, was one of the best albums of all time. (remember this is MY opinion, can't stress this enough)
    Yes there most recent stuff is crap (by recent I mean there last two albums)
    But there early stuff (the first 3 albums) were great (Heathen Chemistry was good too though) and Oasis is the band that got me into music.
    They also inspired a lot of todays bands like; Arctic Monkeys, Jet, Coldplay, Kasabian, Weezer, The Killers & Glasvegas. All of whom are bands that I love.

Rest of the list though? Agreed. Except Queen, they're awesome.

I know I am going to get a lot of heat for this, but I think Paramore is Overrated. Don't get me wrong, I like Paramore, I just don't think they're as "SO FREAKING AMAZINGLY PERFECT" as some people make them out to be. Sorry.

Years
  • I'm not a Gaga fan, but I don't think that pop music is all bad. It's almost like we expect pop music to appear, stick around for a few months, then disappear, but when that doesn't happen we think something's wrong. That wrong something must be that they're being overrated. Why else would they still be here? I can't be that pop music is good.

Personally, I do think a lot of pop music is bad, but that's because I've listened to a lot of different kinds of music and know what I like and what I don't. Pop music (but not just that genre) has youth appeal and the younger you are the less exposure you have to other styles of music, generally, so it's only natural that a lot of people gravitate to pop, others to punk, rap, metal, etc. when they're young and enthusiastic and want to tell everyone they meet that Lady Gaga is the BEST THING EVAR. Everyone who's really into one particular genre will have a dozen reasons why their preferred music is the best. That's just how it is. I think that's better than accusing an artist of not being worth the attention they get. That's just feeding into it.

Also, Queen is awesome.

Eternal Nightmare

Stunningly Handsome
    Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2015
    Not gonna agree or disagree with some of the bands/singers mentioned in the first post
    Some overatted artists that I know of is

Lil Wayne- there was only one song I liked by him but I cannot stand his music
    Justine Bieber- preteen fan girls...that's all I have to say
    Gucci Mane- he is so overratted where I live. All his songs, to me, is illiterate nonsense :/

Those are the main three I can think of at the moment.

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • Miley Cyrus. she sounds like a cow.

Lil' Wayne- God I hate his music with a passion... no offense..

Ke$ha- More auto-tuned madness..

Justine Bieber- BieberFever? More like a headache Dx I can't stand any of his songs..

Back