• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Overrated Games

Sir Codin

SO MUCH GOING ON, I CAN'T EVEN TAKE IT ALL IN

Except that's just Hyrule Field, which, I will throw you a bone here (I do this rarely, so savor it), they really could've done so much more with. Everywhere else rather intrigued me.

So did the story. And the characters. And the 3D gameplay.

Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019
    Five Nights at Freddy's. It's just another basic indie horror game that's not even remotely scary. Every edgy 13 year old is obsessed with it. I will guarantee, its popularity will completely diminish in 8 months just like Slenderman did.

I'm tired of these 1-2-hit wonder games like these and Flappy Bird. Nobody is going to talk about them in 10 years.

Sir Codin

For me it was the Fallout series in general.

Sure, the exploration bit was nice but that lasted 5 minutes before it got so boring that I'd sooner get a cat to start clawing my back so I wouldn't fall asleep while playing this glitch infested mess.
    I'm curious, have you played all of them?

Or just 3 and New Vegas, as a lot of people these days most likely have?

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
    Where do I start....

List of overrated games that I will explain why if asked but other than that is just a list list:

Every Call of Duty game after MW1

FNAF 1 and 2 (Because appearently a sequel is cutting the game (Not that 'button simulator' was a game) into a quarter (I had a clever thing to say here but I cant put it into words...)

GTA Online (Get run over by a tank every time you leave your house simulator)

Pretty much every GTA actually

Titanfall (60$ DLC to the beta)

Pretty much everything made in Japan bores the living hell out of me, (Some exceptions of course) So... *Insert JRPG here*

TES IV Oblivion

DOTA 2

League of Losers

SMITE

World of Warcraft

Will continue later...

We need an underrated games thread now!

Last edited:

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Geez, that's half of all the popular video games in existence. Anywho, with me it's Call of Duty. I'm not really into FPS games but that game is more popular than Pokemon and comes out with almost a yearly release, with very few changes between them. Yay, there's a couple more games and maps, what's the big hype about it? Every time there's a new release everybody immediately throws the old CoD game away and starts playing the new one, which isn't much different than the old one. At least with Pokemon there's new mons to play with, and the story is different, and heck even your character looks different. In CoD you're playing as army men every time.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Except that's just Hyrule Field, which, I will throw you a bone here (I do this rarely, so savor it), they really could've done so much more with. Everywhere else rather intrigued me.

I agree, they really could've added more.

Those things I also liked about Ocarina of Time (3D as I didn't play the original but it seems like a very faithful remake from what I've read/seen).

For overrated...well I would argue that nearly every new Pokemon game starting with DP was overrated/hyped most recently even (though I like them and I'm glad RSE was remade) ORAS is (tbh though it was far from the perfect games the hypers would argue it to be, it has it's flaws). Though they are all abandoned for the next shiny game(s)...

Also I'll say nearly every popular shooter franchise is...but that's most likely me being bias.

Arsenic

Years
    Geez, that's half of all the popular video games in existence. Anywho, with me it's Call of Duty. I'm not really into FPS games but that game is more popular than Pokemon and comes out with almost a yearly release, with very few changes between them. Yay, there's a couple more games and maps, what's the big hype about it? Every time there's a new release everybody immediately throws the old CoD game away and starts playing the new one, which isn't much different than the old one. At least with Pokemon there's new mons to play with, and the story is different, and heck even your character looks different. In CoD you're playing as army men every time.

To be fair in pokemon your playing as a white 15 year old everytime (I'm just guessing with the age but you get my point)

Sir Codin

This is pretty much how I feel about the Call of Duty series myself, actually.

FNAF 1 and 2 (Because appearently a sequel is cutting the game (Not that 'button simulator' was a game) into a quarter (I had a clever thing to say here but I cant put it into words...)
    Okay, can someone tell me what exactly this FNAF is?

GTA Online (Get run over by a tank every time you leave your house simulator)
    Don't have Xbox Live, so I never played it.

Pretty much every GTA actually

III, San Andreas, and V I thought were good. Vice City and IV were meh. Never played the first two or the "stories" series.

Titanfall (60$ DLC to the beta)

Never played it, so I can't really say.

Pretty much everything made in Japan bores the living hell out of me, (Some exceptions of course) So... *Insert JRPG here*

An interesting perspective, considering that this IS a Pokemon forum and Pokemon, for all intents and purposes, is a JRPG. But of course, I suppose Pokemon is one of your aformentioned "exceptions" but still, Japan produces more than RPGs of course.

TES IV Oblivion
    This is the only one on this list I disagree with you with, although I will admit the level-scaling mechanic was shit...in the vanilla game. Part of what draws people to the Elder Scrolls is how moddable it is, and this is both an advantage and disadvantage. It's an advantage because it gives you a whole multitude of stuff to improve the game with. It's a disadvantage because I feel the developers know about the aformentioned advantage and I believe they think it gives them the excuse to cut corners and not check their programming until people complain enough.

This game was one of those things I largely ignored.

League of Losers
    Now, now, many of my friends play League of Legends and I can assure you, they are not losers. Never did get into it myself, though.

Never heard of it.

World of Warcraft
    Yeah, tried it once at the suggestion of a friend. Never got into it.

We need an underrated games thread now!

We already do: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=341119

Last edited:

Arsenic

Years
    This is the only one on this list I disagree with you with, although I will admit the level-scaling mechanic was shit...in the vanilla game. Part of what draws people to the Elder Scrolls is how moddable it is, and this is both an advantage and disadvantage. It's an advantage because it gives you a whole multitude of stuff to improve the game with. It's a disadvantage because I feel the developers know about the aformentioned advantage and I believe they think it gives them the excuse to cut corners and not check their programming until people complain enough.

I am very experienced in this regard. I played Fallout 3 for 2 years straight (Every. Single. Day.) FNV off and on and TES:V quite a bit all because of mods. Nexus mods shoulve given me an award for all the stuff I've downloaded. I even got to know a modder who apparently went on to work on Bioshock 2's multiplayer... Good times.......

And thanks for that link!

Also, FNAF is Five Nights at Freddie's where you play a night shift guard at a chucky cheeses rip off with an evil animatronic band. The goal is to shut the blast doors (Because apparently buying blast doors is cheaper than buying not evil robots or at least pay off your electricity bill) only when the robots are outside of it to not waste the power of the two AA batteries the entire building runs off of. In the sequel there are no more buttons and you just stare down a long hallway and push a single button on the keyboard when the robots get too close

Last edited:

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
    Okay, can someone tell me what exactly this FNAF is?
    FNAF, or Five Nights at Freddy's, is a point and click game. You are a night watchmen, working from 12 am to 6 am, and you're trying to keep the haunted animatronics from killing you. It's not easy, as the pizza place you work for is managed by cheapskates, and everything is running on a generator, which runs out of gas very quickly. Basically you're trying to keep Freddy, Bonnie, Chica, and Foxy from getting in your office and murdering you, while managing what power you have left. If you run out of power before 6 am, Freddy stuffs you in an animatronic suit, leaving only your eyeballs and teeth exposed. Markiplier played through the entire game, so if you wanna see what it's about, watch his videos on it.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I'm curious, have you played all of them?

Or just 3 and New Vegas, as a lot of people these days most likely have?

I only played 3 and New Vegas but after looking up the gameplay videos for the other entries, to say that I was unimpressed would be quite the understatement regardless of the ages of the older entries nowadays.

Sir Codin

I only played 3 and New Vegas but after looking up the gameplay videos for the other entries, to say that I was unimpressed would be quite the understatement regardless of the ages of the older entries nowadays.
    I wouldn't really judge the games based on just a couple of gameplay videos but suit yourself.

The Fallout games drew me in for the intuitive turn-based combat system (1&2 only), dark setting, interesting characters, the non-linear ways in which you can approach many problems, and the exploration of a post-apocalyptic world. Many people say the overworlds of 3 and New Vegas are boring, but I find them interesting. Not just because of the exploration, but because of what it represents...the world was the result of humanity at it's worst and failing itself and all because of fighting over resources and clinging onto the past.

Sloan Kettering

Robot Master
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Ohio
    • Seen Aug 17, 2018

All the dungeons just felt incomplete, to me. The first 3 were alright, but the medallion dungeons...meh. The Forest Temple had more of a creepy atmosphere than the designated creepy dungeon, the Fire Temple was just a typical fire dungeon, no apologist EVER can make an argument for the water temple and the Spirit Temple was just kinda...there. Though, not sure what kind of atmosphere a spirit temple is supposed to have, so whatever. The story was the most basic part of the entire game and 90% of it takes place in the very beginning and the very end. Hell, the story is pretty much non-existent from the time you become an adult until Ganon kidnaps Zelda. I'm a fan of the Zelda series, so I can't criticize a basic story too much, that's kinda how the series works. The characters just felt lifeless and boring; I didn't give a single doodley about any of them except Saria. Majora's Mask just does every bit of it so much better that going back and playing Ocarina of Time just makes me wish I was playing Majora's Mask. It has the same gameplay, just not all the characters that I really just want to squeeze.

Arsenic

Years
    The Last of Us. Let's just say that if this was the last Videogame on earth, you'd find me outside reading.

I actually just beat that. I can't say I've ever sat and played a game for literally 13 hours straight, but that's what I used my entire free-day doing... Don't regret it at all, though my blood clots probably will!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    For overrated...well I would argue that nearly every new Pokemon game starting with DP was overrated/hyped most recently even (though I like them and I'm glad RSE was remade) ORAS is (tbh though it was far from the perfect games the hypers would argue it to be, it has it's flaws). Though they are all abandoned for the next shiny game(s)...
    Except there's an entire forum where people still play all of the Pokemon games regardless of the current gen :P
    Five Nights at Freddy's. It's just another basic indie horror game that's not even remotely scary. Every edgy 13 year old is obsessed with it. I will guarantee, its popularity will completely diminish in 8 months just like Slenderman did.

I'm tired of these 1-2-hit wonder games like these and Flappy Bird. Nobody is going to talk about them in 10 years.
    I have to strongly disagree with you there. As a viewer of the horror genre, I have to say the atmosphere they set up in such a simple game is incredible. The use of jump scares was only in the event of a serious failure, which is not common in games. Usually jump scares are absolutely everywhere even if you aren't going to die. 13 year olds may be obsessed with it, but that doesn't inherently make it bad. It has a rich, very disturbing backstory, which even seems to have an even more disturbing stake in reality (watch the Game Theory about it). If you take it as just the game, then yes, 5 Nights at Freddy's is pretty simple. But it has more to offer if you know what to look for. If you really take in the environment, the way you're supposed to, then it becomes a much more interesting game. Also don't talk shit about Slenderman.

#DickBats

Oliver Queen
    Years
    - Destiny. Probably the most over-rated and overhyped game of 2014. I played for 10 minutes and gave out on it.
    - Super Smash Bros 3DS. It just don't feel right in the 3DS, in Wii U is good though

Sir Codin

I have to strongly disagree with you there. As a viewer of the horror genre, I have to say the atmosphere they set up in such a simple game is incredible. The use of jump scares was only in the event of a serious failure, which is not common in games. Usually jump scares are absolutely everywhere even if you aren't going to die. 13 year olds may be obsessed with it, but that doesn't inherently make it bad. It has a rich, very disturbing backstory, which even seems to have an even more disturbing stake in reality (watch the Game Theory about it). If you take it as just the game, then yes, 5 Nights at Freddy's is pretty simple. But it has more to offer if you know what to look for. If you really take in the environment, the way you're supposed to, then it becomes a much more interesting game. Also don't talk shit about Slenderman.
    I'm going to have to agree with this.

I just downloaded FNAF 1 on my iPod and the atmosphere and tension were just too much. Before the 2nd night was over, I chickened out and turned off my iPod.

Dying Light

Pegasus Knight
    Years
    Actually, I'd have to say FNAF. DL'd it for my Android, played for around 20 minutes, and thought it was kind of boring, TBH. Jump scares don't seem to affect me much, and the atmosphere seemed like a B movie. Originally tried it because my friend said it was awesome, but I regret that purchase.

Second place goes to every Pokemon game after IV generation. IV was okay, but B&W and B&W2 were kinda short, and I disliked pretty much every Pokemon in it with the exception of Chandelure. Then we get news that AS/OR are coming out, I buy a 3DS, and wasn't impressed with OR at all. I think they could've added so many new features to mark these remakes. Now, my 3DS is used for Fire Emblem and Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Back