• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Patching & Emulation

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I'm not sure if I have the right thread or not. I think it may be right.

If I am playing Pokémon Roms (not hacks) through an emulator
    Such as Leaf Green for GBA with a GBA Emulator
    Is it possible to trade pokemon from this generations using an emulator to the next generation
    Such as Heartgold or Soul Silver for example
    From FR/LG to HG/SS I know you can do it with the physical copies and hardware; original DS.
    So not sure if there has been an emulator designed to compliment this feature like this as well.

In Desmume 9.10, under "Config>Slot 2 (GBA)", You can select "GBA cartridge" from the dropdown, then click on the button to select the file location of your game's .gba file.
    But, apparently Desmume doesn't emulate the DS pokemon games very well.

Years
  • Pokémon / Flashcards / Rom & Emulation / Trading between the two

So I purchased a Nintendo DS Lite recently, so I am now able to play GBA catridges or flashcards as well as NDS cartridges or flashcards.

I have been playing some Pokémon Roms (not hacks) through RetroArch on my n3DS.
    Such as Leaf Green for GBA with Gpsp.

If I have been playing Leaf Green and training pokemon with RetroArch on my n3DS is there any possibility that-

a) I can migrate this save file to a (Gen III) GBA cartridge and trade these Pokemon (Gen III to Gen IV) to a (Gen IV) NDS Cartridge?
    b) Purchase a GBA flashcard and use my current LeafGreen save (Gen III) to continue playing on the DS Lite Slot 2 and trade these Pokemon (Gen III to Gen IV) to a (Gen IV) DSTwo Flashcard?

I not sure if they are both possible or which one of those methods is the correct one? Any insight would be helpful.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Downloading Fangames

Hey, i am gonna start off saying that I'm not really talented when it comes to downloading and patching games.
    Like pokemon Gaia and Vega i really want to play but i cant seem to find any toutorial of the current versions of downloading them. If any of you have or know of easy Step-by-Step videos or can just write it down in a easy way i would be incredibly thankfull!
    I have downloaded the Gaia WinRAR file, and Vega, I've tried following couple of toutorial but they dont seem to work.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey, i am gonna start off saying that I'm not really talented when it comes to downloading and patching games.
    Like pokemon Gaia and Vega i really want to play but i cant seem to find any toutorial of the current versions of downloading them. If any of you have or know of easy Step-by-Step videos or can just write it down in a easy way i would be incredibly thankfull!
    I have downloaded the Gaia WinRAR file, and Vega, I've tried following couple of toutorial but they dont seem to work.

Well, Gaia v2.5 on my end let me download a zip file. When we unzip it, we get a copy of NUPS, the .ups patch, a readme, and another patching program. Let's use NUPS, because I know that better.
    When we open NUPS, click on the first button, then on the second window that appears, click the first "Browse..." and select your base ROM. The second "Browse..." We select the .ups that we got in the download.
    Now this part is important. On the "If file is invalid" box, select "Ignore". This is because NUPS doesn't expect the .ups to extend the base ROM, so if we leave it on "Abort", it will stop, believing that the base file is wrong.
    I think the same steps can be used for Vega, if it also uses .ups.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2016
    Well, Gaia v2.5 on my end let me download a zip file. When we unzip it, we get a copy of NUPS, the .ups patch, a readme, and another patching program. Let's use NUPS, because I know that better.
    When we open NUPS, click on the first button, then on the second window that appears, click the first "Browse..." and select your base ROM. The second "Browse..." We select the .ups that we got in the download.
    Now this part is important. On the "If file is invalid" box, select "Ignore". This is because NUPS doesn't expect the .ups to extend the base ROM, so if we leave it on "Abort", it will stop, believing that the base file is wrong.
    I think the same steps can be used for Vega, if it also uses .ups.

Thank you! I got Gaia working, I'll just wait for Vega.

Years
  • How to Extract and Patch Rom using New 3DS XL and Browerhax to launch homebrew?

Hey PC!!!

So I beat ORAS and on my way to beat XY, I usually love playing randomizers and other rom hacks as well as editing my own roms by either changing move data for attacks or learnset and TM. I have found many tools online to do it but I need a way to extract the roms from my retail cartridge.

Does anyone know how I can do this using my New 3DS XL with homebrew? Its at 10.3 firmware and I do not plan to upgrade to loose Homebrew.

Also a side question, if I do romhack my games, can these games connect to wifi battles?

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2016
    POKEMON DARK RISING ON GBA4IOS

So I got iosbuilder and installed gba4ios 2.0 on my iPhone for $10. However, I can't play Dark Rising 1 on my phone. Somebody please send me a link to help me out haha

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • UPS, IPS and .patch files

Hi,
    I've seen that all the rom hacks in the hack studio use IPS or UPS patching.
    Why not just use the (POSIX standard) programs diff and patch, and then distribute the output .patch files?

thanks,
    martin

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi,
    I've seen that all the rom hacks in the hack studio use IPS or UPS patching.
    Why not just use the (POSIX standard) programs diff and patch, and then distribute the output .patch files?

thanks,
    martin

Well, if i google-fu'd correctly, diff is a command line program for Linux. Now, while command line programs are powerful in their own regards, LIPS and NUPS, the two big patching programs I've seen, have simple button-based GUIs. LIPS even binded itself to .ips files on my computer, so I can just click the .ips and it will bring up a file select for the ROM I want to patch too.
    Also, basically everyone in the ROM Hacking forum uses .ips or .ups, so getting people to change is going to be hard.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • Well, if i google-fu'd correctly, diff is a command line program for Linux. Now, while command line programs are powerful in their own regards, LIPS and NUPS, the two big patching programs I've seen, have simple button-based GUIs. LIPS even binded itself to .ips files on my computer, so I can just click the .ips and it will bring up a file select for the ROM I want to patch too.
    Also, basically everyone in the ROM Hacking forum uses .ips or .ups, so getting people to change is going to be hard.

Diff has various GUIs. WinMerge is one.

Years
    • Seen Apr 30, 2016
    (I'm new, BTW.)
    So, how do you create a patch, and not end up overwriting your whole ROM? And if that's too easy it's already been asked, how do you even patch your ROM?

Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2016
    Converting save files from one emulator to another

So I'm trying to load my save data from Snakewood on my android using myboyadvanced to play on my computer using visual boy. The save states on my android looks like its st1 I guess? The computer looks like it uses sgm files? I was able to transfer the files that I was playing on my computer to my android but when I try to transfer the files with more gameplay back to my computer it wont read it. Can anyone help please?

Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    Save error

Hi guys, I'm using gba4ios in iPhone 6 Plus. I download dragon ball z team traning(firered hacked) and digimon firered. I'm able to use the in game save in digimon. But when I try to save in dragon ball I get this save error, please exchange backup memory. Any idea why?

Attachments

• image.png
      image.png
      110.7 KB · Views: 2
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    (I'm new, BTW.)
    So, how do you create a patch, and not end up overwriting your whole ROM? And if that's too easy it's already been asked, how do you even patch your ROM?

Creating a patch in Lunar IPS is pretty simple. Open the program and click the button labelled, "Create IPS Patch". Then a file select should appear. Click the base ROM you used to make the game. Next, another file select should appear. This time go to the ROM you hacked and click it. Finally, one more file select should appear. This time, go to the place you want to save your ROM and give the new IPS file a name. Click save and you're done.

As for patching, here's a tutorial.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • What exactly is the method for generating Pokemon Encounter Codes in Gen III Games?

I asked a similar question on Beginner's Lounge - No replies

I tried asking a few experienced people out here - No one has any idea

Is it that complex?

Okay, on to what I'm exactly I'm talking about. Spherical Ice suggested I ask here, so here goes:-

Okay, these are some Encounter Codes I have for Pokemon Emerald
    http://www.supercheats.com/gameboyadvance/pokemon-emerald/12401/species-modifier-codes/

And these for Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire
    http://www.supercheats.com/gameboyadvance/pokemon-ruby/4377/ar-codes/all-legendaries/

P.S. - I'm just referring to those sites as an example, that's not where I got the codes from. Its been quite some time since I played GEN III Games, so I don't exactly remember where I got the codes from.

Alright, so my question is - How exactly are these values generated, I mean what exactly do the codes represent?

For e.g., let's take Pikachu's Encounter Code for Emerald, which is:-

Spoiler:

where the first two lines are the Master Code & the third is the Species Code (Pikachu in this case).

How exactly was the value "BC7EC610 A4B1CCA6" for Pikachu reached?

Is it a Pointer to some Hex Values/bytes on a Hex Editor? Can't be so, coz I've done some testing with those Codes & they work with most hacks, even with a ROM with an Expanded Pokedex, where Pokemon details were repointed.

Is it a code which somehow refers to the Pokemon's name (Pikachu in this case)? Not likely, coz I put that code on a Text-Hex Editor & it just gave me more random values.

Does it any way refer to Pikachu's Hex Number (019)? Hmm Nah, doesn't seem so!

And what do the first two lines (for the Master Code) represent?

I'm really, really confused :(

Someone please help me decipher these Encounter Codes, I mean exactly how they are generated & what does a code for a particular species represent.

I really want to make Encounter Codes for hacks with Expanded Pokedexes, as a continuation of those codes. If anyone can do that, it'd be great.

Please help me out guys!!!

Pika Pika :chu:

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2016
    Browser file save to VBA not working

Hi everyone,

I'm been playing Pokemon Fire Red on a website and now I'm trying to use the save file on VBA with no luck. I'm doing this to hopefully try and trade certain pokemon (Kadabra/Haunter) which I believe is possible using VBA.

i've been playing it on a site called Miniplay, it uses an emulator called Nesbox. I've tried a few different things on VBA that I've seen on other threads without success.

The files save as .save and doesn't show up when trying to load in VBA. I saved a copy of the file as .sav and tried 'Import Battery File' but got a '1m sub-circuit board is not installed' message on VBA. Heard something about this being due to 64k and 128k. The file size is 64kb.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hi everyone,

I'm been playing Pokemon Fire Red on a website and now I'm trying to use the save file on VBA with no luck. I'm doing this to hopefully try and trade certain pokemon (Kadabra/Haunter) which I believe is possible using VBA.

i've been playing it on a site called Miniplay, it uses an emulator called Nesbox. I've tried a few different things on VBA that I've seen on other threads without success.

The files save as .save and doesn't show up when trying to load in VBA. I saved a copy of the file as .sav and tried 'Import Battery File' but got a '1m sub-circuit board is not installed' message on VBA. Heard something about this being due to 64k and 128k. The file size is 64kb.

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You definitely need to use the 128k save. Go to "Options>Emulator>Save Type" and click on "Flash 128k". Delete the old save too. This will correct the error message.
    Also, I think only the VBALink series can connect to each other. I just tried to connect two of my VBA 1.8s together and the "host" just crashed.

NoSkillzAllPanda

Im going to be the very best...like no one ever wa
    Years
  • Help Im new Lol

Basically im here for the fact i would like to download "pokemon adventures....red!" but im not sure how i see the links i see someone thing about a lore and then the beta but i need help instaling it and everything :P. Instructions plz? no...ok ;-;

Back