• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Paul or Gary?

Paul or Gary?

• Paul

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • Gary

Votes: 27 57.4%

• Total voters

LucarioBlade

Back in the spotlight
Years
  • I'm going with Gary because

1- he had a group of cheerleaders at season 1

2- he had ten badges instead of eight

3- "Gary was here, Ash is a loser."

That's why he's called Gary "*^&*%^$^%$%#%^" Oak to this very day.

Paul on the other hand, well, I kinda have a like/hate feeling for him.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    Gary is vastly superior to any of the rivals in the anime in every way, shape, and form simply because he is Gary.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Paul is vastly superior to any of the rivals in the anime in every way, shape, and form simply because he is Paul.

Years
    • Age 34
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I thought they were both d-bags, but I guess being the rivals of the main character they're not there to be liked. I'm not saying no one likes them, just saying, in my opinion, the point is to like Ash and dislike his rivals. BUT Gary really got on my nerves. Paul doesn't annoy me in the kind of "OH MY GOD SHUT UP BEFORE I PUNCH YOU" kind of way that Gary did. Gary was way more smug than Paul, and I hate smugness.

Years
  • Gary was a troll the whole series though.

Looking at Gary's team on Serebii compared to Paul's.

Gary:
    Electrivire, Blastoise, Umbreon, Scizor, Arcanine, Alakazam

VS.

Paul:
    Torterra, Electrivire, Magmortar, Weavile, Aggron, Gliscor

Pretty even but Gary just appears to have the slight upper hand because in the anime caring about your pokemon counts and Gary cares

Tmskater1

Capitata
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 27, 2012
    Gary wins all the way. Paul was alright, but his story in diamond and pearl just kinda got on my nerves. Every time Gary showed up in Kanto I knew it would be a good episode.

Eclispe

Beginning PsyDragon Master
    Years
    • Seen Feb 29, 2012
    I'd have to go with Paul despite the way he treats his pokemon. Gary lost his edge over the years. However It would be a close battle though; Gary is no push-over but Paul is the stronger of two in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2017
    Gary is much better of a rival unlike Paul was. Gary was an original with a badass personality ,Paul was just an idiot and bland with no personality whatsoever even Trip is better then him.

Back