• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: PC Fastfood Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I currently have Ubuntu on my laptop. I managed to mess up my Windows 7 installation somehow, and I wasn't able to fix it because I didn't have a recovery disc, so I had no choice but to go with Ubuntu. It's not a bad OS, but it's certainly not the best. If they ever want to compete with Mac or Windows, then there's still a lot of things that they need to improve on. d:

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I've used the Gnome OS before and oh gosh I hated it so much. I complained about it everyday until I got a computer that didn't have gnome on it hahaha... Maybe I just didn't like the name or something because I'm sure it wasn't that terrible but whatever. It was years ago anyways.

Currently I just have good ol' Windows 7. My sister has ubuntu but she doesn't really use her computer often anyways due to not having a battery and half the time mom is using the charger that her laptop needs because they have the same computer but only one charger.

Years
  • I remember when Ubuntu used to be based on Gnome, and I liked it. Now I kinda miss the Gnome layout on Ubuntu, but there are other layouts that still use Gnome to this day.

And yes, I use Windows 7 as well for my primary operating system, and it's been my primary OS since Christmas last year. I took my parents' 2008 HP tower (which is actually now mine since they bought a new computer) and I installed Windows 7 on it. They bought me a copy of Windows 7 for Christmas, and so far to date, I'm loving it. I have had Windows 7 on my laptop, though, but it wasn't always my main computer. Before I had the desktop I do now, I had been using XP for 4 years before that.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • Since I bought my new Laptop in mid-June (gift for epic marks ;D), it came with Windows 8. The OS cam as a huge shock to me, with literally NO start button, and this whole fancy start menu. I've gotten used to it since, and realized how epic it is compared to 7.

7 is still good though.

Sirfetch’d

I use Windows 7 as well and I really like it. Windows 8 was very confusing for me when I used it the first time, but I really liked it and plan to upgrade to that soon!

TY

I use Windows 7 aswell, the first time i saw 8 i didnt knew what i saw... It was really confusing

Sirfetch’d

I've heard Skype is really bad on Windows 8, so that has been one reason that I have been reluctant to upgrade so far.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • My gaming PC is running windows 8, and it's really not bad once you get used to it, especially since I never used the start button anyway. The only thing I really miss is the search, which you can still get through the charms bar. Whatever quirks it has were well worth the performance boost - boot went from about 6 seconds on win7 to nearly instant on w8. Also, kms has to be redone every few months, but that doesn't apply if you *cough*buy a legal copy *cough*. Haven't tried Skype yet though, so well have to she about that. :-)

TY

I might end up having to use Windows 8 for college, but ill see if i actually have to

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    My mom has Windows 8 and I'm okay with it. Then again it's not actually my computer and I only have used it to just browse the internet when I couldn't on my computer so I suppose that I can't say much.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I threw Windows 8 on the media PC connected to the TV in my house and wooow I hate it so much. Nothing about it is intuitive for me and it's often a fight to figure out how to do something. So I pretty much constantly leave it on the traditional desktop and hope I never have to do anything more advanced than web browsing or finding files in a folder with it. :/

I'm really glad I tested it out on a PC I don't care much about since I'd originally been thinking of upgrading my main desktop to it. I won't go anywhere near it now so that's one crisis averted.

Catalyst.

Nothing of significance
    Years
  • I'm legitimately curious how about how people don't know how to do things in Windows 8. I use my PC /a lot/, and as I said above, the only drastically different thing I noticed was the search feature, which admittedly still annoys me. :P

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • The menus in anything metro (I know they stopped using that name for the boxy design even before it came out but I don't know what else to call it) are non-existent. Sometimes you get them by right clicking (I think?), sometimes you have to move your cursor into a specific corner at either just the right angle or speed or position, and sometimes it just doesn't have menus. I'm alright with anything that opens in the traditional desktop but god forbid a media file open in one of the metro apps. I'm hopeless when that happens. :(

I imagine I'd pick it up if I were forced to use it exclusively on my main computer but why bother? Windows 7 is so much more user-friendly for me.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I suppose you can say I'm one of those people who really don't understand the hate of Windows 8. I can understand how it's difficult to look for files and the such, but there is a search button so you can search for all of your programs, and a folder button at the bottom that can kinda act as a psuedo-"My Computer" kind of thing, so you can look through files and such.

However, admittedly, I do miss the start button as much as the next guy. I suppose I just have enough patience to ignore the downsides of Windows 8, since I only really browse the web and stuff, so it doesn't really bother me. ._.;

Basically this. I don't love windows 8, nor hate it. There's still a few flaws, but it's still very tolerable like other windows OSs.

Years
  • Thing is, if you're not technologically literate then Windows 8 is very difficult to use. My mom asks me ALL THE ****ING TIME (Yes, I have to use all caps because it's so frustrating) asking me to shut down the damn computer because she can't do it herself. It's just not as user friendly as it was and I don't know why Microsoft had to change it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back