• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC pet peeves

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    - Nobody here on PC seem to acknowledge popular caustic critics and other web celebrities such Nostalgia Critic, RedLetterMedia, JonTron, etc. and take their opinions as gospel (since they're much more reliable than actual movie/game critics)
    what makes a critic more reliable than another critic?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    You could always, ya know, start up those topics yourself if it seems no one else will.

I would if I had enough time (college tests are a pain), but then there are some topics I had in mind that may not warrant as thread-material and more suited for the VG DCC thread or on a blog.

what makes a critic more reliable than another critic?

If that critic isn't from an official website thus less-corruption/bias on a review. It's why user reviews are more reliable than site reviews.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    My turn!

Most of my peeves have already been mentioned, but one of my big ones as of late are the blog entries. There's just so many to the point I feel certain blogs are pushed to the next page because of an tsunami of new ones. I'd really like to see some of the stew for a bit. That's just me. :)

As a blogger myself, I welcome that! A lot to days I find that either myself or StarryWindy are the only people who are actually posting blog entries on a constant basis; it's nice to see some new material being cycled around, but you are correct in terms of which they should get more attention in general before getting lost in the wave of entries.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I got a few.

I dislike the fact that some members seem to think that, after the congratulations are over, new mods are indoctrinated into this brainwashing inner circle controlled by "the man", man. We're not drinking the blood of virgins or conspiring to oppress the 99%. It's like, chill, we don't actually have real authority this is a pokemon forum.

I also don't like when people work so damn hard to become a mod that they get bitter for not being promoted and stop enjoying PC. It's heartbreaking to watch, members losing interest and moving on to another forum just because they didn't get modded here. :(

And lastly, members/staff who place to much significance on post count and join date.

Years
    I also don't like when people work so damn hard to become a mod that they get bitter for not being promoted and stop enjoying PC. It's heartbreaking to watch, members losing interest and moving on to another forum just because they didn't get modded here. :(

This is actually one that definitely is true.

Even if I worked so hard and still got overlooked, I wouldn't sulk like a little kid and try for a spot elsewhere because it always makes me sad when someone leaves the forum for pointless reasons. I care more about enjoying the community itself, so even if I never got the opportunity to join staff I'd still be alive and kicking because I still love to have fun getting involved with discussions.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Honestly, speaking of which, another peeve of mine is when 190856261095 people jump on another person saying things like, "oh you're not supposed to say that!" or maybe "you do realize this is just an online pokemon site, right?" just because they want to be a mod. Which you know, there's nothing wrong on wanting to be a mod if that's your ambition. Maybe that's their way on having fun and showing their love for PC? Well, if that's fun for them, then, who are we to criticize?

Point is, I feel that sometimes people are forgetting about the bigger picture here: this is a online website where people can unwind, meet new friends, and to have fun in their own way.

I dunno, maybe others see it differently? o:

Years
    Honestly, speaking of which, another peeve of mine is when 190856261095 people jump on another person saying things like, "oh you're not supposed to say that!" or maybe "you do realize this is just an online pokemon site, right?" just because they want to be a mod. Which you know, there's nothing wrong on wanting to be a mod if that's your ambition. Maybe that's their way on having fun and showing their love for PC? Well, if that's fun for them, then, who are we to criticize?

Point is, I feel that sometimes people are forgetting about the bigger picture here: this is a online website where people can unwind, meet new friends, and to have fun in their own way.

I dunno, maybe others see it differently? o:

I couldn't agree more actually.

I don't think there's anything wrong with working towards being a mod. Personally it makes me quite happy that people want to be able to contribute to PC more actively since this really is one of my favourite things to do in order to avoid uni work unwind.

I will say though, it makes me a lot happier seeing people actually contributing to the website then just brown-nosing the staff because they like to be in a position of authority or perceived authority.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    oh dear.

Reading through most of these I'll admit that I feel really guilty that I do most of them. :x But...you know, can't help it.

I have one. It's the biggest pet peeve on here. I REALLY hate it when people judge by the way members, especially staff members, write their posts, make their post themes on, how they talk, etc. It's really stupid to see one person complain about a mod's post and they go out and create a ****storm about it. It's also really stupid to see one member with an amazing post theme forced to remove it only because someone doesn't like it. I currently live by an "lol who even cares" code because I think members here have the right to express themselves the way they want to. If I want to do a theme on My Little Pony, or NASCAR, or write posts about what I think of a certain topic, I will do so as I please. And if you don't like it, then lol that's your problem, man.

Oh, and I just remembered another one: I want to echo Shawn (or who was it? idk) about members "trying their hardest to get modded". People, if you think posting 3974902374 threads in one section is going to get you modded, you are 100% wrong. The PokeCommunity is meant to be fun, and it's supposed to be a hobby. Now I feel like mod positions are being fought over as if there's one position available at a popular company and there's 297329034720 people trying to get said position. It doesn't work that way. I really wish members here would treat PC the way it's meant to be: a community of amazing proportions.

i probably made a few people hate me now, oh well.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    There are some people who just do the most around here. They go out of their way to make sure everybody knows that they know the answer to something, and will elaborate it even more than it needs to be, especially if someone else already gave the answer. It's really annoying. Most of the time it's things nobody even really needs to know, but they tell you that information anyway. I just have a very hard time taking posts like that seriously.

Years
    oh dear.

Reading through most of these I'll admit that I feel really guilty that I do most of them. :x But...you know, can't help it.

I have one. It's the biggest pet peeve on here. I REALLY hate it when people judge by the way members, especially staff members, write their posts, make their post themes on, how they talk, etc. It's really stupid to see one person complain about a mod's post and they go out and create a ****storm about it. It's also really stupid to see one member with an amazing post theme forced to remove it only because someone doesn't like it. I currently live by an "lol who even cares" code because I think members here have the right to express themselves the way they want to. If I want to do a theme on My Little Pony, or NASCAR, or write posts about what I think of a certain topic, I will do so as I please. And if you don't like it, then lol that's your problem, man.

I agree with this, very well.

I don't judge others based on how they post or what avatars/sigs they use. I like to view everyone here equally, and while I have a tendency to pull some unusual avatars/sigs at times I still like to show what I love and I ain't taking anything down just because someone doesn't like it. I remember some time last year someone wanted me to take a gif in my signature down because they found it "stupid" but I resisted and stayed put because I don't let people force me into something, I choose what I want to do.

Like for example Megan, I know not everyone has a love for NASCAR here, but you showcase it very well, because you're an individual and that's how I view everyone. Just because you may like something unusual, doesn't mean you have to worry about being viewed like that.

Oh, and I just remembered another one: I want to echo Shawn (or who was it? idk) about members "trying their hardest to get modded". People, if you think posting 3974902374 threads in one section is going to get you modded, you are 100% wrong. The PokeCommunity is meant to be fun, and it's supposed to be a hobby. Now I feel like mod positions are being fought over as if there's one position available at a popular company and there's 297329034720 people trying to get said position. It doesn't work that way. I really wish members here would treat PC the way it's meant to be: a community of amazing proportions.

I really agree with this, entirely.

I'm not someone who tries too hard for a staff position. I like to focus more on the having fun aspect and viewing the community as one big family plus staff are usually chosen on a very selective basis, where they take quality into factor. I know some would think I should deserve such a position after seeing my huge postcount, but as she said that is absolutely not always a factor. I just like to have fun and immerse myself in the community, and I think it's something not everyone always gets the picture of.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    My turn!

Most of my peeves have already been mentioned, but one of my big ones as of late are the blog entries. There's just so many to the point I feel certain blogs are pushed to the next page because of an tsunami of new ones. I'd really like to see some of them stew for a bit. That's just me. :)

This one I enjoy reading and writing blogs (even though lately I haven't wrote any as often as I used to) and sometimes some people use their blog to say something important or make some kind of announcement (like my recent blog entry) and then it gets drowned in random ones about like the dog they saw or similar things like that. And there's nothing wrong with blog on random things that happen I your day, it's when it outshines something that needs to be seen. So days where there isn't much activity in the blog section are good cause then the blogs that need more attention get it.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Overused memes. Applies to other forums as well.

PC pet peeves

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    I don't like how whenever someone quotes you in a post you get like 20000 notifications because the way it works is really screwed up. lol. And sometimes you can get like the same person liking your post like 5 or 6 times.

I also don't like how staunchly anti-religious some people are on this community. Mind you I'm a very loose agnostic who normally would not give even half of a **** about religion or lack thereof, but some people here are just plain rude. I recommend just listening to what the opposition has to say - you might learn something and it will help dispel strawmen that I see all over the place in threads about religion. A little respect goes a long way and you might learn something too.

Really, that goes for any discussion though - so many discussions get shut down because they are either echo chambers or they try their hardest to try to shut down opposing opinions. Debate isn't about winning, it's about enlightening yourself to other people's opinions as well - and again, if you listen, you might learn something. PC has proven on multiple occasions to have people who are extremely close minded on their opinions and unwilling to accept those who may be different. The religion thread in D&D right now is pretty much just showing how this still continues today.

- No acknowledgements of actual gaming news like #GamerGate and Sony's finiancial failures at the Video Game forum as if PC is completely isolated to the rest of the other websites
    I am ****ing glad we don't have a gamergate thread. Considering past threads regarding some similar topics and how people treated me and others in those threads, I think that PC isn't really mature enough to have a discussion on it, regardless of what you feel about it.

A good portion of the internet itself isn't mature enough to have a valid discussion on it because repeatedly my opinion has been shafted for a "Status quo is god" ******** and throwing names everywhere; hell one side of the debate is basically an ad hominem. I try to avoid discussion on it despite being opinionated on it because everyone feels that somehow their ******** is more important than those of women who work in a similar field to that in question.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    This one I enjoy reading and writing blogs (even though lately I haven't wrote any as often as I used to) and sometimes some people use their blog to say something important or make some kind of announcement (like my recent blog entry) and then it gets drowned in random ones about like the dog they saw or similar things like that. And there's nothing wrong with blog on random things that happen I your day, it's when it outshines something that needs to be seen. So days where there isn't much activity in the blog section are good cause then the blogs that need more attention get it.

Sorry about that, hopefully I want a contributor to that. If it's any consolation, I had read your entry at the time and even though I didn't respond then, just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to be open with your pops. You have a lot of courage my friend; a lot more than me that's for sure.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
    - Minimodding. I guess this has always been a problem on PC (and most forums in general), and will probably continue to be so, but members pointing out that a thread or post doesn't belong where it's posted, rather than simply reporting it.

- Shaming bandwagoning. This is especially seen in CQ&F when someone posts an unpopular opinion or when someone has a complaint about staff, where everyone will join in to point out why the person is wrong. And I know part of this problem comes from people writing their posts at the same time, but it's still often seen that replies keep coming in. I know it's a problem that's been addressed though, so I don't think it happens as frequently anymore.

- When people don't reply to each other in thread. Not as in neglecting to reply to something directed at you, but when threads are all replying to a topic and not reading any other posts in the thread. This has especially been a problem in Clubs, and it was never really what they were intended for D: I've been a culprit of this myself a lot though, so I can't say I don't get it, but I guess it just doesn't feel like a forum if there's no interaction.

- Poor quality images in themes. I see this way too often, especially from new members. And I think it's most commonly seen in people who haven't really been on forums before. But yeah, low quality images taken from google and just slapped into their avatar and signature. Definitely been a culprit of this as well :p

And that's about all I can think of now.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
    I don't like how whenever someone quotes you in a post you get like 20000 notifications because the way it works is really screwed up. lol. And sometimes you can get like the same person liking your post like 5 or 6 times.

I also don't like how staunchly anti-religious some people are on this community. Mind you I'm a very loose agnostic who normally would not give even half of a **** about religion or lack thereof, but some people here are just plain rude. I recommend just listening to what the opposition has to say - you might learn something and it will help dispel strawmen that I see all over the place in threads about religion. A little respect goes a long way and you might learn something too.

Really, that goes for any discussion though - so many discussions get shut down because they are either echo chambers or they try their hardest to try to shut down opposing opinions. Debate isn't about winning, it's about enlightening yourself to other people's opinions as well - and again, if you listen, you might learn something. PC has proven on multiple occasions to have people who are extremely close minded on their opinions and unwilling to accept those who may be different. The religion thread in D&D right now is pretty much just showing how this still continues today.

I am ****ing glad we don't have a gamergate thread. Considering past threads regarding some similar topics and how people treated me and others in those threads, I think that PC isn't really mature enough to have a discussion on it, regardless of what you feel about it.

A good portion of the internet itself isn't mature enough to have a valid discussion on it because repeatedly my opinion has been shafted for a "Status quo is god" ******** and throwing names everywhere; hell one side of the debate is basically an ad hominem. I try to avoid discussion on it despite being opinionated on it because everyone feels that somehow their ******** is more important than those of women who work in a similar field to that in question.
    As long as we had a mod watching it to make sure we don't get any strawmen or juvenile insults being flung around, I think we could be fine. Maybe 100+ post requirement to post your opinion on it?

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    As long as we had a mod watching it to make sure we don't get any strawmen or juvenile insults being flung around, I think we could be fine. Maybe 100+ post requirement to post your opinion on it?

That I don't think is going to fix things. On other forums there have been complete shutdowns on the subject from the mods - considering past experiences I know that there may be mods that would be willing to do the same here. Either that, or the topic would become too much of a cluster**** and would eventually be locked for that reason - several threads in the past have reached that point.

I also don't agree with the 100 post thing. Members of all post counts have shown that they aren't really willing to have a discussion and are more invested in hearing their opinions spoken by others, which doesn't really lead to anything. Again, just look at most religious threads - I used to be more active in D&D but it's pretty clear that people basically want to hear what they want to hear. I talk about such topics elsewhere where at least a meaningful discussion can be obtained, without having to worry about being silenced for arbitrary reasons.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Sorry about that, hopefully I want a contributor to that. If it's any consolation, I had read your entry at the time and even though I didn't respond then, just wanted to congratulate you on your decision to be open with your pops. You have a lot of courage my friend; a lot more than me that's for sure.

Nah you're fine. But thank you a lot ! I kind of understand with you cause you have a daily blog post and I can't control when you post. I was mostly talking about when it's a random blog and isn't something like your blog where you post daily or have a theme or a regular posting time , but it's like the random "I bought a frog today!!" type things.

Back