• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PC WiFi Tournament

Lumine

Basement Cat
    Years
    Count me in for the 3rd tourney =|

(A lil note: I won't be able to compete until somewhere around Jan 7)

Kuro

Cloaked by the Masses
    Years
    I believe that I have been registered for the third tournament for a while already. But I'll do it again just in case.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    I believe that I have been registered for the third tournament for a while already. But I'll do it again just in case.
    Registration started when I made my last post. Anyone who "signed up" before that will not be counted.

Wish

No spoils for the meek.
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2018
    I'm signing up. ^.^ I got my Wifi fixed too! (unlike last time >.<)

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    Zam, there's 1 little problem that we have to work out. Kenny and myself feed off the same connection, and neither of us have our parties level 50 or 100. It's also impossible for two people to challenge each other off the same connection (in my experience) so can you try your best to not match us up in the first couple of rounds. He isn't good enough to make it past that, so you shouldn't worry about later in the tournament, but all I ask is that for the first few rounds you seperate us.

Just a little side note, Masterdoughboy has a very slow connection (although it still works) so I just wanted to let you know that he might have a few disconnections unless he gets a new router.

Bishopk

meow :)
    Years
    • CO
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    Kenny and myself feed off the same connection, and neither of us have our parties level 50 or 100. It's also impossible for two people to challenge each other off the same connection (in my experience) so can you try your best to not match us up in the first couple of rounds.

I've done it, using my brother to hook up for IV battles (and not telling him). It might just be your connection, but I would try again, just in case.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
    Okay, as promised, I edited the rules, making some changes that I think are for the better:

Alakazam17 said:
    Past Winners

June 2007: aragornbird

There is now an official vote on whether non-Uber Legends will be allowed. I ask all those participating in the 3rd Tournament to choose one of the following upon registering:

1) Allow all Pokemon but the following: Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet, Lugia, Ho-oh, Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Deoxys, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Manaphy, Darkrai, Shaymin, & Arceus.

2) Allow all Pokemon but the following: Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Entei, Raikou, Suicune, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Jirachi, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, & All Pokemon mentioned in the first option.

Now that Diamond and Pearl are available in most places, I think it is about time that we have something like this set up. Chances are, most of the people reading this are able to link up wirelessly, and if not, you can still cheer on the players!

One of the problems I see with having a tournament is that I don't believe anyone other than the two participants can actually see what is going on, allowing cheaters to have a field day. So we'd need a level of trust between members. That said, I think it would be doable.

Other than that, here are a few rules I made up myself. Subject to change if I get a crowd of members wanting it as such. =P

PC WiFi Tournament Rules

1. You must have either Diamond or Pearl, with WiFi capabilities to enter.

2. You must have a team of six Pokemon, not including the following:

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mewtwo, Mew, Wobbuffet, Raikou, Entei, Suicune, Lugia, Ho-oh, Celebi, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Latias, Latios, Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Jirachi, Deoxys, Uxie, Azelf, Mesprit, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Heatran, Regigigas, Cresselia, Phione, Manaphy, Shaymin, Darkrai, & Arceus.

3. All basic clauses will be in effect. That's Sleep, Evasion, OHKO, & Hax Item Clauses.

4. Since all WiFi battles allow you to choose Pokemon levels, all battles should be held at level 50 or 100, to allow even-footing. Battles will also be Single, not Double.

5. Specific battles will be chosen randomly, and will be posted here on a set day. Another set day, a DQ time as we like to call it, will be given, and I'd ask all results to be posted here before this time. The DQ time will be one week for each round, beginning and ending on a Saturday.

6. This before-mentioned process will repeat until we have one person left! This person will be declared the winner, and will have their name at the top of this post for all eternity! Also, they will be allowed to jump a round in future competitions.

7. If you turn out to be a no-show, not only will you not be able to receive any benefits(ie. being the candidate for the free round), but you will have to participate in a preliminary match the next time you enter the tournament. This shall include no-shows from previous rounds, with the winners moving on to Round One. Note that this will start in the 4th Tournament, not this one. Also of note is that someone that withdraws from the tournament will not be considered a no-show.

Prizes

Note: Anyone who wishes to donate a prize to the tournament, please PM me. It would be appreciated.

1st place: 5 hatched Pokemon of your choice, plus recognition in the top of this post. Also gets to skip 1st & 2nd rounds of next tournament.
    2nd place: 2 hatched Pokemon of your choice. Also gets to skip 1st round of next tournament.
    3rd & 4th place: 1 hatched Pokemon of your choice. Also gets to skip 1st round of next tournament.
    Giver of Donation: Gets to skip 1st round of next tournament. This is assuming the donation is both legal and worthy for being a prize.

Now, the rules I must add, and that I hope will never have to be enforced:

If two people finish a battle with conflicting stories, BOTH will be disqualified. Furthermore, if later on the identity of the untruthful individual is found out, he or she will be banned from all future tournaments.

Furthermore, if it is found out that a battler has been using hacked Pokemon, he or she will be banned from all future tournaments. This is in addition to any action the forum staff may take.

About one weeks before the next tournament starts, I shall PM all participants. If I don't get a reply before the beginning date, they will be disqualified. This is of course used to avoid no-shows.

And when it finally does begin, I will post the pairings, and give trainers at least one week to post their results.

That said, behold! The lists:

Tournament 3 Entrants

Alakazam17
    Bishopk
    ~Kazaam~
    ukballer
    Masterdoughboy
    Aboxif
    Lumine
    Kuro
    Glisctillery
    Kurogane
    _Prince_
    Mullac51​

And now, for some Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I get WiFi?

You will need a wireless router, and access to the Internet. So, chances are good that if you're able to view this page, you have Internet. Moreover, there is also a good chance that most of the people reading this have the router already. If not, you can pick it up at Radio Shack or Circuit City. I got mine for $30 CAN myself.

How does WiFi work anyways?

Wikipedia said:
    A person with a Wi-Fi enabled device such as a pc, cell phone or PDA can connect to the Internet when in proximity of an access point. The region covered by one or several access points is called a hotspot. Hotspots can range from a single room to many square miles of overlapping hotspots. Wi-Fi can also be used to create a mesh network. Both architectures are used in community networks.[citation needed]

Wi-Fi also allows connectivity in peer-to-peer (wireless ad-hoc network) mode, which enables devices to connect directly with each other. This connectivity mode is useful in consumer electronics and gaming applications.

How does the WiFi work on Diamond & Pearl?

Wikipedia said:
    Diamond and Pearl employ support for the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, allowing players to trade, battle and communicate through voice chat online.[5] The main system for trade is the Global Trade Station trading system. This allows players to search for any Pokémon they have seen on a worldwide scale, with the resulting list showing people around the world who are willing to trade that Pokémon, as well as the Pokémon they want in return for it.[11] The trade does not have to be instant and an offer can be left for other players to browse and complete, even while the player is offline. Some centers serve different purposes - one allows the player to enter battles against friends over an internet connection, while another allows the player to enter the Pokémon Union, a chat room in which the player can communicate with others on the player's Friends List.[12]

How do I enter the Tournament?

Just post a reply to this thread during the registration period, saying that you are interested in joining. The registration period is currently underway, and you have until Saturday, January 12th to get your name on the list.

I changed my username. Should I mention it here?

Simply put, yes. It can get confusing if someone is trying to get in touch with someone whose name is different than what I have listed here. >_>

Are there any restrictions to my team?

Like I said before, I'm thinking it'll be pretty hard to make that many rules regarding this, so I think sticking with the 'No Legends' is about all we can really do(and even that would be hard to enforce, in theory). However, ideas are welcome.

Can I have more than one of the same Pokemon on my team?

Sure, go ahead. But don't blame me when your team of Gyarados comes up against a Timid Jolteon. XD

Can I PLEASE use my team of hacked Pokemon and/or Legendaries? com on, i m beggin u!!!!!!!!11111

No.

I cannot get in contact with my opponent. What do I do?

Even with the precautions I put in above, we may still get a few no-shows. If you are unable to get in contact with your opponent, just post here saying so. If not, I may assume you are both no-shows, and take both of your names off the list.

My opponent and I can't find a time to battle that is convenient for us both. What do I do?

This is mostly going to be due to time zones if it occurs. I will now guarantee that the deadline for battle results will be more than a week, allowing you to get time on the weekend. Nonetheless, if you can't get results in by the deadline, you'll still be disqualified. Though, I may consider extending it under said circumstances.

My opponent used hacked and/or Legendary Pokemon. What do I do?

If you face one of these, please report it in this thread. Furthermore, if the opponent used hacked Pokemon, you should also report it here.

What happens if we have an odd number of participants?

First off, an odd number is a whole number that, when halved, has a 5 after the decimal place(ie. 6/2=3 ; 5/2=2.5 ; 5 is odd, 6 is not).

So, if we have an odd number of people, we'll do one of two things. The first is allowing one person to skip the round. This person will be chosen randomly, starting among those who actually had a battle in the previous round.

The second option is a round robin. This will involve everybody battling everybody else once, with those with the most wins moving on. This will only be happening in the later rounds though, when there are a small amount of people remaining.

What if my battle ends in a draw?

Although rare, it is a possibility. If this happens in your tournament battle, both you and your opponent will be moving on.

Can I have my battle on Pokemon Battle Revolution?

I don't see why not. DS or Wii, with the same Pokemon, the results will be identical. So in other words, go ahead.

What if a DS turns off in mid-battle?

If this was done intentionally by one of the battlers, the winner will be the other person. Simple enough.

What are Pokemon anyways?

Seriously. If you are asking that sort of question.....Go away. Now.

I'll list some notable changes here:

1) Rounds last one week now, not two.

2) I have included a sort of punishment for no-shows, forcing them into a preliminary round if they wish to join a second time.

3) An updated prize list. Note that these prizes may also be claimed by finalists of Tournament 2.

4) I've added the basic clauses to the rules, making them similar to the majority of battle threads I've seen around here.

5) Most notable to those registering is the Legends Vote. Anyone that plans to participate in the 3rd Tournament should decide on whether they want all legends banned, or just the Ubers. I will announce the verdict a few days before it begins.

Also, the date that the Tournament will start will be Saturday, January 12, 2008. The first of the new year, so make it count! =D

Last edited:
    Years
    Rules look pretty good to me. Regarding to legends/ubers vote, do we just post here with a vote? Or will you be setting up a poll, or even vote via PM? (if you have the space lol).

Ooka

[font=Maven Pro][color=#A75EE2]Cosmic[/color][/fon
    Years
    I have already given my opinion to you Alakazam17. IMO If people wish to use non-uber legends I think it should be restricted to one per team.

You only say that because you have one on your standard team...

Anyways, I vote no legends at all.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2009
    ...........January 12, hmm...?

...........................Yes, I think I'll be ready by then. Sign me up.

No legends, of course.

Glisctillery

Something purple and has wings
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2010
    it really doesn't matter to me, i will vote no legends if everyone is hating on legendaries, but in my opinion, they are pretty easy to take down (not that i use legends myself..)

Back