• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

People's Standards are too high!

Years
  • So a few minutes ago, I was just browsing through some Pokemon on the GTS and I remembered I needed a Milotic so obviously I went and took a look to see if there were any up for trade. I couldn't end up finding one and the reason being was that almost every one of them wanted either a rare Pokemon like Meloetta or Diancie, legendary like Mew or Kyogre or had strange conditions (one for example being a between level 1 - 10 Deoxys).

So I decided to do some more digging and found that it's not just Pokemon like Milotic or Gyarados who people were putting up for crazy rare Pokemon but it was Pokemon like Crobat and Cradily.

Am I the only one who thinks that these people's standards are just way too high? It's like these people will only trade their Pokemon if you give them 14 shiny Mew's with 5 perfect IV's and your firstborn child ~_~

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'm just going to move this discussion over to the Trade Corner, where it fits better :]

-moved

Years
  • I find the GTS works really well so long as you only ever put Pokemon in and request what you want in return. Searching for a Pokemon you want will never get you anywhere because, as you say, everyone is a bit silly with it! The people who request Pokemon at impossible levels I really don't understand, and I've seen people with low-level Zigzagoons on there asking for Mew etc., it's really ridiculous.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
    Years
  • So a few minutes ago, I was just browsing through some Pokemon on the GTS and I remembered I needed a Milotic so obviously I went and took a look to see if there were any up for trade. I couldn't end up finding one and the reason being was that almost every one of them wanted either a rare Pokemon like Meloetta or Diancie, legendary like Mew or Kyogre or had strange conditions (one for example being a between level 1 - 10 Deoxys).

So I decided to do some more digging and found that it's not just Pokemon like Milotic or Gyarados who people were putting up for crazy rare Pokemon but it was Pokemon like Crobat and Cradily.

Am I the only one who thinks that these people's standards are just way too high? It's like these people will only trade their Pokemon if you give them 14 shiny Mew's with 5 perfect IV's and your firstborn child ~_~

I agree with the other two. What they think is a fair deal is stupid. Many of them are hacks which wont go thru the GTS. Usually when I offer a 5 iv or 4 iv something or another I usually get rid of it within 24 hrs. If you have starters it goes much faster.

Laguna

Sir Zangoose
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Aug 31, 2016
    Yeah, I've found that putting up pokémon yourself is better than actually looking through the GTS to find what you want most of the time, most of the offers are not only stupid but also impossible like Level 1-10 legendaries and the like. I've mostly used the GTS for trade evolutions and getting all the starters by breeding one of a given region's starter and then asking for the other two and those trades went by pretty quickly.

I did get a Turtwig by trading over a Whiscash once though, that was a good deal.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I am also scratching my head at the insane requests on GTS. I want a Mew as much as anyone but I am not going to put up some random Pansear or whatever to fill space.

On the other hand you sometimes get very generous deals like a Shiny Regigigas for a Basculin.

Thankfully there is no 'shiny only' option or nothing would ever get traded.

If I put requests up myself though I am able to get what I want pretty quickly.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen yesterday
    back when the gts still allowed event trades, used to just hack want they wanted with an ar & traded it to them, then check the pokemon to see if it was legit. if it wasn't, i'd release it into the wild. to put it bluntly, at least 80% of the pokemon where hacked. i only really did it to mess with the trolls anyway, and to try and reduce the number of bogus trades. funniest one i found though was a lvl 100 rattata with overly maxed out stats which had its OT listed as joey and was listed as coming from the kanto region. i laughed and released it upon the unsuspecting environment
    Spoiler:

i would be a lot more grateful for the lack of being able to trade events over the gts if they had put a name filter that marked down mew, celebi, deoxys, jirachi, lugia, ho-oh, manaphy, darkrai, shaymin, arceus, victini, keldeo, meloetta, genesect, diancie, hoopa & volcanion as being invalid names.
    well, volcanion still comes up as invalid & hoopa did up til its recent Japanese event when a sudden flood of hoopa requests showed up on the gts. though every once in a while i'll find a good trade like this one though
    ajYGPMH.png

Years
  • The GTS is littered with ridiculous requests, but sometimes I do find a generous person with a realistic request. I just wish there was something that could prevent a majority of the requests, but I can't really think of anything that would do that. I just try my luck Wonder Trading instead

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
    Years

I know. It's ridiculous that offers like these even exist. Been a huge problem since Gen 4.
    This was one I saw when I was looking for a Charmander in Omega Ruby
    CLwfvmcUsAA_OIU.jpg

Were you able to get a Milotic? I have a LV 34 on my Pokemon Y game, that I don't use, if you still need one.

Last edited:

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I know. It's ridiculous that offers like these even exist. Been a huge problem since Gen 4.
    This was one I saw when I was looking for a Charmander in Omega Ruby
    CLwfvmcUsAA_OIU.jpg

Were you able to get a Milotic? I have a LV 34 on my Pokemon Y game, that I don't use, if you still need one.
    I could give you a Charmander for a Volcanion. :P

Kidding, I agree that's just plain stupidity.

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years

Some people are either deluded or have unrealistic expectations. A lot of users are also dishonest to a certain degree. For instance, I put a Protean Froakie up for trade and asked for an Iron Fist Chimchar in return. I lost my Protean Froakie and all I got in return was a normal Blaze Chimchar. It was bullcrap so I tried again. This time, I found someone who had advertised an Iron Fist Chimchar and asked for a Solar Power Charmander in return. I had an extra Charmander like that, so I made the trade. I got another Blaze Chimchar in return.

Years
  • It's definitely best to put something up yourself and ask for what you want. Eventually you'll find someone who is kind and honest enough. I remember I was asking for a Pokemon with a hidden ability (nothing else) and I got probably 20 or so before I got what I was looking for.

You gotta also remember that the GTS is global and there are lots of people who speak different languages and they might not have any idea what you're asking for beyond what Pokemon you ask for.

But there are good deals out there. I'll sometimes put up Pokemon with hidden abilities, egg moves, and high stats and only ask for a Zigzagoon or Zubat or something so someone can get something they're looking for easily.

Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2015
    it's because better deals get snapped up while not-so-good ones are stuck there so it just appears that there's no good deals.

you're better off leaving pokemon in the gts yourself if you really want to trade for fair deals.

I totally agree. People are waaaaaaay crazy when it comes to trades... put your pokemon that you'd want to part with for the milortic.

Years
    • Seen Sep 20, 2015
    Once I wanted a simple magikarp. I don't like fishing so I tried to trade for it. Two pages of people asking for mews and legendaries for magikarps. Two. Pages. I wound up just putting a quagsmire for magikarp. I call it the begging pokemon now.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    Sometimes I think that they do it purposely,
    like they want to troll you or something xD

like thiiiis >> want this pokemon? never gonna get it mate >:)

Raythegamer

Legendary Gamer
    Years
  • It's definitely best to put something up yourself and ask for what you want. Eventually you'll find someone who is kind and honest enough. I remember I was asking for a Pokemon with a hidden ability (nothing else) and I got probably 20 or so before I got what I was looking for.

You gotta also remember that the GTS is global and there are lots of people who speak different languages and they might not have any idea what you're asking for beyond what Pokemon you ask for.

But there are good deals out there. I'll sometimes put up Pokemon with hidden abilities, egg moves, and high stats and only ask for a Zigzagoon or Zubat or something so someone can get something they're looking for easily.

But I think the problem is that people don't know how much a legendary pokemon is worth.So they give out crazy deals since they have no clue.If you ask me,Nintendo should get like a starting price for every pokemon(it may be hard but if they have the money shouldn't be a problem)

Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2016
    I usually have a look at what's on there before I put a Pokemon up myself. There are often one or two reasonable trades and then it's down to luck as to whether you have what's needed. You can improve your odds slightly by stocking up on Pokemon that evolve when traded (like Haunter) and Pokemon that are awkward to evolve but that don't use resources (e.g. Sylveon, Milotic).

I'm trying to make a living pokedex and am making heavy use of GTS. I've found that reasonable trades get snapped up in 10-20 minutes. It takes the grind out of levelling up babies if I'm sporadically checking GTS and catching things to put on there. More optimistic deals can still work but take longer. Overnight and work are great for them. If a trade hasn't been found after one of these eight-hour slots then I take it down. I was obviously too greedy.

Back