• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Personal Rules or Traditions?

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    I didn't see a thread like this. Close if needed.

We all have our own ways of playing the Pokemon games, so I was wondering if anyone else sets rules for themselves when they play the games or has made a tradition of doing certain things in every game unrelated to finishing the game or completing the Pokedex.

Here's a few of my own I use when I plan out my main team:
    - I always use my starter Pokemon.
    - I always use the mascot Pokemon of the game I'm playing. (Giratina in Platinum, Reshiram in Black)
    - I only use Pokemon that I catch or obtain in that specific game for my main team. No traded Pokemon.
    - No more than 1 Legendary Pokemon on my main teams.
    - Use the Master Ball on the mascot Pokemon.
    - No cheating. Including Action Replay or hacks.

Those just cover building my main team for each game, but I'm sure you guys have some that aren't about team building. Also, I do have exceptions to my own rules, such as I don't use my starter Torterra in Platinum, but switched it out to use Lucario who is another gift Pokemon. (I feel that's justified)

Anyway, what are your personal rules for Pokemon games?

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I had a lot more rules for myself in White than I had in other games haha. I wanted at least a team of 4, aiming for a full team of 6, and I wanted each one to be nicknamed. I wanted to fight every single trainer. I think that was it though. :3

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I typicall keep my starter to the bitter end; I like to configure my team to include one grass-type, one fire-type, one water-type, one electric-type, one flying-type, and one ground-type; I make minimal use of HM slaves (I actually don't mind keeping Cut on my team until the endgame); and I have the compulsion to keep my levels even (within two levels of eachother).

That's about all for me. I know I'm pretty weird when it comes to playing Pokemon. XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I do a lot of challenges actually, but whether I'm doing a challenge or a normal playthrough, I always have the same personal rules. I usually won't partake in a challenge that would cause me to not have one of these rules, cause I'd go insane if I can't play the game like this. lol

- Don't run from anything/don't use Repels
    - Be overleveled because NPCs suck. STOMP EVERYONE.
    - Have Flamethrower, or SOME Fire move
    - End up with a team of 6
    - Master Balls are only for roamers
    - Don't skip trainers or be a wuss
    - Have odd movesets
    - Name ALL the Pokemon lol

That's about all I can think of lol. I basically just like being strong and not struggling in battles and I like kicking ass and taking names. And apparently burning things.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    For personal Rules:

Always Start with Water Starter
    Catch Two Pokemon before First Gym
    Never catch Ice Types
    Catch every Dragon Type Available
    Name only those I plan on using for Personal RP's/Stories
    Never Run from a battle

BlaqJester

Guru
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2013
    Rival name is the last person I met over Wi-Fi and actually became friends with
    Trade for one Poke not found in my game
    Always catch the bird like Poke
    When a new main game gets released I go back start over and apply a theme ie: monotype

Ghiaccio

Ace Trainer
    Years
  • Ah Mine Are:
    Use Starter and 4/5 Others
    If 4 Use a HM Slave
    No Legendaries (but catch if you can)
    Don't use Master Balls (not even on roamers)
    Try and vary the team types if possible

Years
  • I always use my starter, have 6 pokemon in my party, never skip a trainer, use masterballs on roamers, try not to single out a pokemon as the "hm slave".

Years
  • My traditions in Pokemon games:

Use a Grass/Fire/Water trio, one of which is the starter.
    Use a Flying-type to Fly me around
    Sixth slot is occupied by a random type Pokemon
    Always naming my character Nichole (my real name)
    I battle every Trainer I see
    I use my version's Legendary Pokemon if required
    Battle as many wild Pokemon as I can
    I trade any version-exclusive Pokemon to add to my collection
    I always catch Pokemon of every type
    I try to balance the genders (however, my team often ends up dominant with females)
    I try to get beneficial natures (example if I get a Jolly Vanillite, I'd dump it and catch/breed another one. However, most of my team members tend to have neutral natures)

Last edited:

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • Here are my personal rules;

- Use my starter throughout the playthrough.
    - Have at least one Fire type, Water type and Electric type in my team.
    - Nickname all my pokemon, the only exception to this rule is when a new game comes out and I want to learn the new names.
    - Have my pokemon in my party in order of levels, from lowest to highest.
    - Keep my team at the same level, no more than 2 levels apart, but try my best to keep them just going up one level then swap to the next.
    - This is a recent rule of mine, but name the starter Blue, Red and Green for the Water, Fire and Grass type respectively.
    - Battle every trainer in sight.
    - Have most of my pokemon be male, with only one or two females. No idea why just always done it, always will.
    - Try to avoid switching pokemon while battling a pokemon as I hate splitting the points.

Yeah.. so my rules are pretty weird, I've even probably forgotten some :P

Years
  • My Rules are...

-Name the my trainer and rival, antagonists and protagonists from any game in the final fantasy games. ex. Terra and Kefka.
    -Nickname all my pokemon after Famous Characters/Monsters/summons from final fantasy series.
    -I fight every trainer.
    -I always keep my pokemon even level'd, when i catch a pokemon that is way lower than my party i will power level it up until it is +/-3 levels.

That's about it i think.

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]Never thought about that. =). But now that I think about it...

My rules or habits

- at least 1 of the eeveelutions
    - never use a tm
    - keep all rare candies etc
    -geodude who has all vm.

Hmm that's all i can think of. =)[/SIZE]

sherreamethyst

Dragonite's Momma
    Years
  • LOL,I didn't realize I do traditions and such, but I guess I do!

-I always use my starter all the way through
    -I plan out my team beforehand
    -I never use my masterball
    -I never catch the legendaries unless I have to
    -By the end of the game, I only have about 10 Pokemon

Not sure if you would call those "traditions" but that's usually how I play out my game...

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    I have a lot, but I don't use some of them as often anymore.
    -Always use the starter.
    -Catch all Pokémon I encounter.
    -Never use TM's.
    -Never use the Master Ball.
    -Make sure that the Pokémon Gender corresponds with the image I have of that Pokémon. (Like Machamp is male, Clefable & Wigglytuff are female)
    -Obtain all Pokémon available in the game without trading and train them all to Lv.100 (Mainly because I don't want to start the game over after I've beaten Red, I've never managed to train them all to Lv.100 I get bored too easily)
    -Name all Pokémon after a cartoon character (or game character)

I actually never play the games with this set of 'rules' in mind. They just sort of happen while I'm playing and I don't really think it through. I probably have used a TM or two a few times while I was playing, but I tend to unconsciously follow them closely.

phonastik

Strange Quark
    Years
  • -Always use the starter (Fire-type on the first playthrough)
    -Never have a Grass-type and an Electric-type on the same team
    -No legendaries on the main team
    -Level up evenly
    -Master balls can only be used on roaming Pokemon
    -Nickname everything, even if it will never be used
    I also tend not to use Pokemon that don't evolve, but that isn't as set in stone as the others.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • These are my rules when I play:
    -I always use my starter
    -I keep my starter several levels ahead of the rest of the team (everyone else has to be the same level)
    -I don't move on to the next area until I grind my Pokemon to be at the same EXP required to go to the next level, and if they're at a suitable level to go on
    -I save before battling
    -I EV train my in-game team.
    -Master Balls are for roamers
    -Use the box legendary if possible
    -All team members are male, if possible
    -All team membes must have an appropriate nature, or close to it (for example Gible should be Adamant, Jolly or close to it)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • -Naturally, it starts with me choosing to be the girl character. Name is usually "Lisa," though recently I've been switching it up.
    -The starter is a permanent member of the team from start to finish.
    -One Water-type, one Electric-type, and one Ground-type are always on the team.
    -The moves Surf, Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, and Fly (for convenience purposes) are present.
    -I work with a full team of six Pokemon.
    -I don't use two Pokemon of the same type, Soul Silver excepted (two Normal-types)
    -If there is a cat Pokemon catchable in the game, it will be part of my team.
    -Said cat Pokemon will be female and be named "Lisa" or "Ashley."
    -I typically don't use legendaries.
    -I attempt for natures that boost each Pokemon's attacking strategy (i.e., a Special Attacker with a nature that boosts Special Attack).
    -EV training occurs after the postgame by use of EV reducing berries.
    -They will be kept close to the same in level and about 5-10 levels higher than Gym Leaders and other bosses.
    -Typically, they will one day see Level 100.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm pretty picky, and one thing I hate is wild Pokemon popping up everywhere.

-decide Pokemon team before playing
    -use repels in all areas unless catching pokemon, catch the pokemon, and then repel
    -find as many TMs as possible
    -save Master Ball for shiny Pokemon because I don't trust myself
    -catch legendary only if I like it
    -EV train every Pokemon, even in-game team
    -Nickname Pokemon when feeling creative
    -always buy Magikarp from salesman, even in White, and name it Bolo.
    -always catch a Magikarp if no salesman, and name it Bolo.
    -always catch Onix in RBY, FR/LG.
    -try to not repeat a type, even in dual type Pokemon.

That's about it. Nothing too weird or crazy. Maybe the Magikarp thing is weird or crazy, but oh well. :'D

infersaime

Come and get me
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen yesterday
    My "rules" are I don't use them in challenges:

Always use my starter till the end.
    Always have a water-type, fire-type(unless is my starter then I already have that type.) and flying-type.
    Always catch a pokemon before the first gym so I have two pokemon. (might be replaced later).
    Always catch either an Electric-type, ground-type, rock-type or fightning-type.
    Always catch eiter a grass-type(if not my starter), dark-type, ice-type or psychic-type
    Catch a pokemon I haven't used before or is a rare pokemon.
    Catch my team members in the srongest ball available.
    My strongest always in the second place in my team.( I don't know why I do that)
    Use Repels in caves unless I want to catch one there.
    No HM slaves.
    Always nickname my starter.
    Nickname all my pokemon.
    Nickname at least one pokemon something weird.
    The rival is named to a friend.

That's pretty much it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • -My character is always named Isaac. It's not my name, but I really like it.
    -I always keep my starter in my party.
    -I typically keep three Pokemon at a time.
    -I never use legendaries.

Back