• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Pick one of these three.

Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2022
    Hmmm... well Meganium is my most hated Starter ever (I even like Torterra and Emboar more) so that one is definitely out. Well the first time I played through Silver with the Cyndaquil line with Thunderpunch and Flamethrower he just seemed unstoppable, and he was definitely stronger in-game than Totodile, but Feraligatr is my 2nd favourite starter design (after Infernape) so I would say I prefer him most.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    I have always picked Chikorita. That one's my favorite. It's the hardest to start with though. But I think it's a beautiful Pokemon. Especially when it gets to its final form.

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I can't choose D:

For the longest time, I always chose Chikorita, ever since I first played Crystal, when I was 4 or so...

I liked Chikorita - I thought it was cute. I can still recall faint memories of my battles with it in Crystal.

Then came HGSS. First I got SS, and started out with a Chikorita. It was a little difficult to beat Falkner, but fun nonetheless. Eventually I beat the game and completed half of the Pokedex.

Then one day, mysteriously..... My save file was erased!!!

So I started a new game with Cyndaquil and it's been the same ever since. IDK, I like battling with Cyndaquil's line~

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Generations 1-3 are the only generations in which I truly like all of the starters. I'm more of a fire type, but in this generation my favorite starter was Totodile. Ferligtr is in my top 5 list of favorite Pokémon from generation 2 and I love the aesthetics of Totodile.

Years
  • Quilava fascinated me when I first got my hands on Pokemon Silver, so I went with Cyndaquil without any deliberation involved beforehand. Typhlosion did not disappoint, and remains my favorite line of the three Johto starters. I like the other two equally, although I've never gotten through an entire game with Chikorita as my starter, or at least not yet. :]

Mecheon

Flamingo Flambé
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2014
    I could not choose a anyone other than Totodile because of those great jaws.

Years
  • I like all three of them honestly but if I had to choose one, it'd had to be Cyndaquil. The first time I ever played G/S I think I chose Chikorita because I felt it needed some "attention".

Years
  • I love all three to death, but if I have to pick one it'd be Totodile. It holds a lot of sentimental value for me because Feraligatr was my starter the first time I beat the Pokemon League in GSC, and it's adorable as heck while its evos. are badass~

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I liked all of them! But my first Pokemon ever was Chikorita, so I have a soft spot for that one. It started off my tradition of only picking Grass-types. In a sense, it seems to be the more underappreciated one because people typically prefer Cyndaquil and Totodile. Honestly, the reason I chose it was because I wanted an Arcanine and didn't want to have two Fire-types on my team. Otherwise, I would've gone for Cyndaquil. As for Totodile, I'm not really a big fan of Water-types, so I rarely choose that starter.

Of course, I was playing Silver version and had nobody to trade with... so no Arcanine. ;~; Still, I kept going on with the tradition. It all started with this pretty flower dinosaur. It seems like it'd be the one I'd have other than Cyndaquil as well, due to being very passive and smelling nice. Also, I love flowers. :3

But Quilava is still one of my favorite middle evolutions regardless. I've used all three because I've played these games from front to back more times than sane people have, so I know these starters pretty well. Typhlosion was always cool to use and I like how they have an unusual blue in their design as opposed to typical Fire-type colors. Very unique. As well, their shinies are pretty. :3

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Definitely the cute echidna. <3

But I've actually played through and beaten the game with every single starter, and probably another time or two over with the same one.

My favorite is still Cyndaquil though. It was the one I chose originally and I still adore it to this day. nvn
    Traditionally I don't evolve my starters either, so he remains the adorable closed-eye fire spitter in my care. Which is exactly how I like him!

ShadowGeralt

Ultimate Pokemon Trainer
    Years
  • Cyndaquil. Just because he was a fire type and Typhlosion could learn ThunderPunch which allowed me to finish this game with only Typhlosion.
    Never enjoyed Meganium. Not too many usable attacks and too slow for me.
    Totodile was my 1st pick ever so he has that special place in my heart.

Years
  • Cyndaquil, because he was my first shiny, and is a beast overall, Totadile is a great Rival, and Meganium is cool, but I dont like design of it (just my opinion). But I have used all of them, and personally Cyndaquil is better. :p

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • Totodile.

It was my very first starter, ever. Despite giving it crappy moves like cut, it was a BEAST when it eventually evolved into Feraligatr. It demolished the Elite Four with cut haha. So yeah, for nostalgic reasons, definitely Totodile. <3

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    Totodile for me. I didn't originally like its evolved forms (thought they seemed scary), but they grew on me with time. I loved my whole Gold version team, and became very attached to all of the Pokémon I used (Totodile, Blastoise, Noctowl, Pikachu, and Quagsire, with an extra slot for whatever I was training--yeah, really balanced, I know).

I also like Cyndaquil and its evolutions a lot, and generally use it when I play Silver. I've never cared much for Chikorita, though.

Years
    • Seen Feb 8, 2016
    Chikorita!

My favourite Pokemon in the anime were that line, they had the cutest cry and they were just the cutest pokemon of all in my opinion.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    Torn between Cyndaquil and Totodile. :( I used them both a lot, and they proved to be excellent in-game. I can't just choose between one of them. But on my very first Silver playthrough, I picked Cyndaquil. In Gold, I got Totodile.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2022
    Oh gosh, that's tough. Chikorita's the cutest, and I usually choose it in Colosseum, but it's not all that useful. If we're talking Gen II, I'd probably go with Typhlosion due to it's access to Fire and ThunderPunch.

Back