• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pika? (Pokemon Cry Discussion)

Years
  • What are your thoughts on the in-game Pokemon cries? Do you like Pikachu saying Pika or does it annoy you? Would you prefer it if all Pokemon said their names or should that be kept for the anime only? What are some of your favourite and least favourite Pokemon cries from either the main series or spin-off games?

I both like and dislike Pikachu saying Pika. I like it because it's cute and adds character but I don't like it because it's different to everyone else and kinda takes me out of the game. I think they should all stick to their traditional noises.

I love Heracross and Rhyhorn cries, I get excited when I hear them when there's a Hidden Pokemon nearby. In Rumble World, Diancie's cry grates on me so much I can't use her anymore!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I'm totally fine with the other cries, except Pikachu and several others updated cries in Gen VI. Just listen Loudred, Combusken, Salamence's cries and several others'. They all sound too different from their original cries. :(

Every time Pikachu says it's name I get a little shocked even now. I'm still not used to it. Pokémon cries are a weird thing. I think my favorite cry overall is Gliscor's. Now, Delphox has a really weird cry...

Delphox's sound like she's laughing. What the fox says?

Years
  • I love Pokemon cries. I love how each one has a unique sound. I don't mind Pikachu saying 'Pika' but I did like its original cry more.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I never use to pay that much attention to them to be perfectly honest. I actually love that Pikachu says "Pika", though, if only because it's adorable and hearing it make its normal game cry felt weird after hearing it say "Pika!" for so long.

Some I really like...

Dialga
    Fletchinder
    Froakie's line
    Litleo
    Porygon
    Wailord
    Regice
    Victini
    Virizion

I'm sure these probably aren't even all of my favorites, but like I said I never use to pay much attention. ^-^; So I'm a bit unfamiliar. My fiancee knows like... every cry by heart, though, at least up to Gen IV or V.

As a bonus, my favorite cries in the anime include Staryu, Krabby/Kingler, and Axew. ^-^

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    I really like the cry for Kricketune. It's just kinda funny, but at the same time oddly intense for such a lame Bug-type Pokémon. I definitely like the cries for a lot of the Dragon-types. They're usually really powerful and intimidating.

Years
  • All I can say that Gen VI did a great job in remastering Pokemon cries. Leafeon and Glaceon are by far my most favorite, Mega Charizard X and Y is the next one.

Years
  • I really love Pokemon cries, and I do love how most later-generation Pokemon have more diversity in the sound effects used compared to the earlier ones. Kricketune always amused me with its "delelewhoop" sound while I remember some others like Milotic and Dialga sounding very disturbing. I also love how Pikachu now uses its anime voice as its in-game cry, and while some slam it as "special treatment just because it's Pikachu) I still think it sounds much cuter.

6th Gen did a good job remastering most cries, but it heavily made some others just terrible. Dugtrio, Karrablast, Raichu, the entire Gothita line (I miss Gothitelle's original Psycho sounds) and Sableye are some of the ruined ones I have to name.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Cries are a very weird thing indeed, but I must say that as a nostalgia freak I enjoy the cries from Gen I-II the most. I'll be honest though, I wouldn't mind seeing every Pokémon have their anime cries in the game, it would make it feel a bit more "realistic" if that makes any sense.

Years
  • I really love Pokemon cries, and I do love how most later-generation Pokemon have more diversity in the sound effects used compared to the earlier ones. Kricketune always amused me with its "delelewhoop" sound while I remember some others like Milotic and Dialga sounding very disturbing. I also love how Pikachu now uses its anime voice as its in-game cry, and while some slam it as "special treatment just because it's Pikachu) I still think it sounds much cuter.

6th Gen did a good job remastering most cries, but it heavily made some others just terrible. Dugtrio, Karrablast, Raichu, the entire Gothita line (I miss Gothitelle's original Psycho sounds) and Sableye are some of the ruined ones I have to name.

Heee! "delelewhoop"! That's so accurate! That one does amuse me too!

And Delphox, haha, that is weird, does sound like "what fox says" or "that's insane"!

Genesect is another of my faves, sounds like a robot moving, which as its steel and has the cannon really fits!

The dragons do have good roars! I'm not keen on the cries of the Pokemon based on dogs because their barks or growls sound too normal. Same goes for a lot of the birds tweets.

Edit:

I was thinking of what it would be like to have all anime cries and I'm sill not sure if I'd like it or not. But there is one anime cry for sure that I know would make me smile every time... Wobbuffet!

And also, I can't believe I forgot this little guy!

I didn't use one until XY and was so excited when I read the description of Chatter, then so disappointed to learn you couldn't record anymore! I guess there were too many idiots being vulgar as it had to be banned from competitive play. Did anyone make use of this feature? Did it change it's cry permanently?

Last edited:
    Years
  • And also, I can't believe I forgot this little guy!

I didn't use one until XY and was so excited when I read the description of Chatter, then so disappointed to learn you couldn't record anymore! I guess there were too many idiots being vulgar as it had to be banned from competitive play. Did anyone make use of this feature? Did it change it's cry permanently?

Chatot's in-game cry was never changed, what the voice recording mainly did was affect the base power of Chatter. With the removal of recording on the 3DS, they changed Chatter into a fixed 65 base power move with 100% chance of confusion.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • I never cared for Pokemon Cries, They make every Pokemon look unique, they aren't a bad thing at all.

I miss Pikachu's old cry but his new one feels more..I dunno, realistic.

I also love Charizard's cry. Very cool indeed.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    I don't care too much for Pokemon's cries. Most of the time, I'm playing without audio, so I don't hear them anyways. Now, Pikachu is a weird story, though. It did make sense, that it had its anime voice in Yellow, because the game pretty much screamed "Pikachu" at you, considering it was on the title, was your starter, had a unique feature in that it refused to be evolved, had a surfing minigame, etc.

Gen 6 on the other hand, didn't really feature much of that. If it wasn't for ORAS' contests, Pikachu wouldn't even have anything going for it, making its unique cries even more awkward. Kind of like, if you have a lot of animals, different species, and only the cats wouldn't make their usual cries and would instead run around, crying "cat" whereever they go.

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • Pokemon cries are unique, but Pikachu one.....er.......So weird.There would be every Pokemon cry especially Do you know what will happen if Jigglypuff cries would come out? Anyways Charizard and Bulbasaur cries are pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I like how Kricketune's cry seems to sound. In real life, crickets, which this Pokémon is based off, if I'm not wrong, make loud and clear sound, and Kricketune is more of the same. Its cry is lengthy, and also loud, clear. Aside from that, I'm also a fan of Pikachu's, as well as Ninetales'.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    The cries are weird, but they improve with each gen.

Mewtwo & Mew's cries are my faves I guess, even though they don't sound like they should

Years
  • Best Pokemon cries?

Not sure if a thread like this already exists, but what are your favourite Pokémon cries?
    I've always loved Klinklang's, Spiritomb's, Froslass's and Bouffalant's :P
    And who could forget Victreebel's and Jynx's? ;)

Which cries are people fond of?

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • To be honest, most of them just kind of sound like noise to me... ^-^; Especially the first three generations. Most of them don't sound anything like what I'd call a 'cry', but some of the ones that stand out to me...

Dialga
    Nidoking
    Jynx
    Porygon
    Buneary
    Spiritomb
    Lumineon
    Froslass/Glaceon
    Manaphy/Phione
    Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf
    Victini
    Roggenrolla
    Lilligant
    Maractus
    Cofagrigus
    Gothitelle
    Reuniclus
    Vanill-line
    Cryogonal
    Virizion
    Thundurus-T
    Landorus-T
    Fletchinder
    Litleo
    Sword-line
    Clawitzer
    Gourgeist
    Noivern
    Hoopa-U

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • I love the feature of Pokémon cries, they make the Pokémon come more alive. I'm one of those people that gets annoyed by how the anime changed the animal noises to saying the name. I feel they could've been made more unique. Compare:
    (Rhyhorn)
    (Charizard)
    Hardly a difference!

Nurse Joy

Would you like to rest your Pokémon?
    Years
  • I don't really like how Pikachu says its name... I admit, it's adorable, but why does it lose the ability to say its name when it evolves?? It doesn't make sense. I think they should really just stick to the original cries rather than including anime voices.

I'm also pretty peeved at the job they did with a lot of the cries of older Pokemon. What the heck happened to Loudred? It sounds like a weird.. squirt noise. Raticate sounds like a short scream. Oddish... that's really messed up. Pretty sure Aggron doesn't sound as cool, but I can't remember. There are more, but none come to mind at the moment.

There are some I don't mind, like Weedle's or Psyduck's. Still wish they would have kept the old ones. I was able to identify Pokemon from their cries alone, but now I can't with a lot of them....​

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I like that Pikachu says "Pika'. It adds some added cuteness to him although for consistency Pichu and Raichu should say their names too.

Some of my favorite crys are Jynx, Milotic and Nosepass.

Back