• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pikachu's a REALLY good friend of mine....

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
    Yeah, there was a slightly less mature thread like this that got locked, but its an interesting topic, so...

What are your opinions on the idea of romantic relationships between humans and Pokemon? In canon, do you think this would be illegal, taboo or generally accepted?

Let's keep it clean, folks.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    I would find it tabooed and illegal cause its bestiality but with well more stranger animals.

Last edited:

Dominus Temporis

Fezzes are cool.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 24, 2012
    I think it would probably be taboo, since my mind is actively blocking the horror of what somebody could do with a Ditto.

Though there was that one panel in Special proclaiming "Strange Case of Poke-Love!" with a woman and her Tentacool. Anyway, if it happens at all, I'm betting it's incredibly rare, and the kind of thing they keep hidden from the public.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    aaronxlucario ftw?

Honestly, I've never much cared for humans actually being paired with Pokemon in a romantic way. >>; It seemed weird to me, especially since Pokemon can't even speak to humans unless they're legendary.

Now.. as best friends, yeah, that's fine. :'D

Last edited:

Valeran

Miserable Memories
    Years
    I'm not sure I agree with this. After all, Pokemon are intelligent beings, aren't they?

hell, several of them are capable of human speech, so they clearly aren't dumb animals.

There are several books, shows, movies, etc with animals that are clearly intelligent and capable of human speech, but it doesn't change the boundaries.

Taboos usually exist for a good reason, such as genetic issues and incompatibility.

Years
    There are several books, shows, movies, etc with animals that are clearly intelligent and capable of human speech, but it doesn't change the boundaries.

Taboos usually exist for a good reason, such as genetic issues and incompatibility.

But surely the main complaint against bestiality is that animals aren't sentient and therefore cannot consent to a relationship? If they can consent, then surely there is no moral problem?

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
    Hmm...Romantically yes...but, well platonically.
    I think it would probably be taboo, since my mind is actively blocking the horror of what somebody could do with a Ditto.
    That came to my mind as well. It's the fact that their bodies are incompatible.
    Well, I'm not saying "this" is absolutely necessary but..."that" would be normal to be desired...when someone is in love with somebody. But...I don't think this could happen (or lets say I wouldn't wanna know). It works different for Pokemon.
    Since we're human we're supposed to feel this way for other human. So I think it's possible to love Pokemon...just don't like this.
    Besides this, I think lovers have to be eqal, also they have to communicate properly. Think about it: You couldn't talk something over, you couldn't even talk about problems.
    Not only because they can't speak (if you go with the anime it could be possible to learn after all---> Meowth )but because there is a huge difference between a normal human life in a human society and a Pokemon living in a Pokemon society (in the wild? ) What I mean is:
    There are some human only problems, since their normal life just works differerently.
    Sice the title of this thread mentiones Pikachu, take it as an example: Ash and it may be good friends but...would you call them eqal? Does he share every thought with it, does he talk about Problems, can he start some kind of real conversation (I know you can do without speech...but I mean does he try to communicatemore intensive with than just the usual guessing what it wants to express in a short moment)?
    If such a realtionship should work the Piokemon would need to adapt to human lifestyle I think.Kinda like Meowth (come to think about it; he did it for love...to be more human).
    I can't see a human adapting to Pokemon lifestyle.
    I hope someone understands what I wanna express here..

Years
    Hmm...Romantically yes...but, well platonically.
    That came to my mind as well. It's the fact that their bodies are incompatible.
    Well, I'm not saying "this" is absolutely necessary but..."that" would be normal to be desired...when someone is in love with somebody. But...I don't think this could happen (or lets say I wouldn't wanna know). It works different for Pokemon.
    Since we're human we're supposed to feel this way for other human. So I think it's possible to love Pokemon...just don't like this.
    Besides this, I think lovers have to be eqal, also they have to communicate properly. Think about it: You couldn't talk something over, you couldn't even talk about problems.
    Not only because they can't speak (if you go with the anime it could be possible to learn after all---> Meowth )but because there is a huge difference between a normal human life in a human society and a Pokemon living in a Pokemon society (in the wild? ) What I mean is:
    There are some human only problems, since their normal life just works differerently.
    Sice the title of this thread mentiones Pikachu, take it as an example: Ash and it may be good friends but...would you call them eqal? Does he share every thought with it, does he talk about Problems, can he start some kind of real conversation (I know you can do without speech...but I mean does he try to communicatemore intensive with than just the usual guessing what it wants to express in a short moment)?
    If such a realtionship should work the Piokemon would need to adapt to human lifestyle I think.Kinda like Meowth (come to think about it; he did it for love...to be more human).
    I can't see a human adapting to Pokemon lifestyle.
    I hope someone understands what I wanna express here..

You mean that though they might be of similar intelligence levels, they are culturally, socially and biologically too far apart?

EagleVision1999

Commander
    Years
    You mean that though they might be of similar intelligence levels, they are culturally, socially and biologically too far apart?
    Yeah, exactly, that's what I meant^^
    I've explained it a little complicated I guess.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Well, discussing the possibility of a romantic relationship between humans and Pokemon doesn't contravene any rules. The only problems are when people start explicitly discussing what happens in the bedroom...

Hopefully what happens there stays in there.

Why, Because I think it would be wrong and suprememly illegal.

I mean...just think...a hot girl and a...well...some water Pokemon?....

*GetsTFO*

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
    This will eventually be locked. I can see it now.

I too am blocking the horror of Ditto and a human. [dies]

It's not that they can't be compatible. It's just that when one hears that a dude and a Gardevoir are involved in a romantic relationship, wouldn't that set off the bad fan-fiction alarm?

Years

Though there was that one panel in Special proclaiming "Strange Case of Poke-Love!" with a woman and her Tentacool. Anyway, if it happens at all, I'm betting it's incredibly rare, and the kind of thing they keep hidden from the public.
    Canitbetentaclesextiemnao?

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
    OMG, I think I was just scarred for life.
    I am currently trying to block the bad things erupting from my head.

*runs out, slams door* EXCUSE ME!!!

Years
    So are dolphins, but you wouldn't exactly have a relationship with them, would you.

Isn't it a slightly different level of intelligence? :\

Pokemon are advanced enough to have their own "language" and some even speak english. I wouldn't put Mewtwo, a pokemon capable of genetic manipulation, on the same sort of level as a dolphin in intelligence.

solaris knight

Phantom ESP'er
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2013
    I'm not sure if its been mentioned, but theres actually a book in the Canalave library that suggests that there were humans married to pokemon in the distant past.

Back