• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Platinum: Was it worth it?

K-K-Slider

SQUIRTLE!
Years
  • Hello, fellow members. I recently purchased and beat Pokemon Platinum. And I am very glad I did... It is the best third game since Yellow, in my mpersonal opinion, and Giratina's new form is an excellent addition. The Wifi is also great.

However, it is obvious that not all people share the same opinion. My good friend purchased the game, and is very dissapointed in his decision, thinking it's new additions are just "Hasty tack-ons."

So, my fellow PC members, share your thoughts! This is my first topic, and I would love for it to generate some good conversation!

-Leaf

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2010
    Hmmm...i don't much know. i oredered it this sunday but it should come today or tomarrow. anyway i played a bit of diamond in a emulator. pretty good. platinum looks better even that i barely got to the 3rd gym. anyway blah blah blah.. i really like platinum...

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2009
    I think it's fun. Graphics look nice too. That being said, I haven't beat the E4 in Diamond so I don't know what to expect after that. I am also proudly able to say, I took down Cynthia today at 9:53 pm :D

--
    It's a lot harder to catch pokemon in my opinion. They also lowered the e4 levels though. Overall it is supposed to be "harder" then the D/P. I am glad I bought it.

Bibliophibian

Wonder Trade Addict
    Years
  • I'm happy I decided to give it a shot. I like it way more than I liked Diamond or Pearl, even though I'm not done with it yet.

I just went through the Distortion World today, and it was a ton of fun. Easily my favorite part so far. :3

almostlovehate

Complete...global...satur ation
    Years
  • I liked Platinum, much more to do.
    -Battle Frontier
    -E4 gets stronger so if you want to do it again, go for it.
    -EV training, in almost every game, but still nice to do.
    -Collecting all Pokemon.

I don't see myself selling or trading this in anytime soon. :]

pokefangunner

PokeGleek
    Years
  • I love this game but i was no where near excited when i heard about this game because platinum was the supposed name of the gold and silver remake!

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    I have pokemon Platinum and I have to say it was well worth it. It is a great game and I have enjoyed it so far! :)

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Definitely worth it. I've overall enjoyed it just as much as Diamond, if not even more. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2013
    "Hasty tack-ons."

That's what I initially thought, but they added SO MUCH that saying something like that just seems like he wasn't paying attention.

Besides all the BRAND NEW STUFF like a ton of move tutors, more in-game trades/randomly received Pokes, an expanded national dex, huge battle frontier;

and then there's the small stuff like Magikarp catching, a expanded Amnity Square, Wi-Fi games, faster speed (text, surf, etc...)

and then the tweaks in story line.

Legends are at different levels

New forms

So...if someone was dumb enough to expect a brand new game, then yeah, be dissapointed. But this game has so much more to do, I think it was well worth the purchase.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2009
    Yeah its worth it trust me!Way different then Diamond/Pearl the story line is pretty cool.You can now catch the legendary birds and Dogs in the Grass how cool is that?

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • I think Battle Frontiers add so much to post-E4 gameplay. It did so much Emerald, and it still shines in Platinum.

Clouddyl

Playing battle tower doubles!
    Years
  • Personally, I loved it :D Definately worth the import purely due to the polished feel it has with the graphics, dialogue and storyline.

I must add though I found it slightly harder to train a full team, now I'm at the elite four with a bunch of level 45-50s >.<

"Shadow Lugia"

Haven't used this in a while
    Years
  • I thought I saw all the changes with Platinum before I got the game, but I was suprised to finad out that the battles, as well as the overworld graphics, are a bit more streamlined. I'm also using the VS Recorder a lot more than I expected. Add to that all the other changes and you've got one of the greatest Pokemon games of all time.

Kudra

IV breeder
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2013
    Worth it IMO, if only just for battle frontier and Move Tutors. The only thing I don't like is Hypnosis's accuracy went from 70% to 60%.

Years
  • I find it way better than diamond and pearl and I didn't even finish the game yet I'm still getting my 6th badge. I like the fact that their a move tutor and you can catch Gliscor and Gible early in the game.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
  • It was worth it because its just like diamond/pearl but with better pokemon sprites, better backgrounds, sprites, animations, wi-fi room and more. It is also much more fun to play than diamond/pearl, and there are a few more things you get to do that you wern't able to do in the previous two games. Like go to the distortion world, or go to the wi-fi plaza. Platinum also seems to show you more of the game and the story rather than just saying, "Go here", "Do this... Do that..." "Find the gym leader..." and it also has better places to train your pokemon at.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • It was a great game, I like the distortion world. But I don't like the radar at the underground, because (just a feeling) it's slower than D/P.

Back