• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Player Search System & Backwards Compatibility?

Years
  • Do you guys think that the player search system will be backwards compatible with X and Y or only between players of OR/AS?

Years
  • One problem that occurs to me would be that XY may not recognize Brendan/May's sprites from ORAS on the PSS, but they could just disguise them like the male/female characters from XY. I get that idea because if you were to trade between Hoenn and FRLG in Gen III, the FRLG character would show up as Brendan/May. Regardless, i'd imagine you could trade and battle between both games.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • One problem that occurs to me would be that XY may not recognize Brendan/May's sprites from ORAS on the PSS, but they could just disguise them like the male/female characters from XY. I get that idea because if you were to trade between Hoenn and FRLG in Gen III, the FRLG character would show up as Brendan/May. Regardless, i'd imagine you could trade and battle between both games.

DLC will fix this. I guarantee before OR/AS come out there will be an update for X/Y to give us this plus the extra Mega Evolutions.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    How do we know it isn't already in the code and just not presented to us in XY?
    Do we know for fact that the new mega Evo's data isn't already in XY ? It seems mega LATIOS and Latias are in it , so why not the rest?

JDJ

Vulpix Breeder, Shiny Hunter
    Years
    • NH
    • Seen Nov 19, 2015
    How do we know it isn't already in the code and just not presented to us in XY?
    Do we know for fact that the new mega Evo's data isn't already in XY ? It seems mega LATIOS and Latias are in it , so why not the rest?

Well, we are fairly certain we do know that the other mega Evos are not currently in X and Y. We found that out when we found out that the megaforms for Latios and Latias were in the game. And as for why not the rest: time. They simply weren't finished. The Latios/as forms also could have been scrapped ideas for X and Y that they decided to push off at some point for the ORAS release.

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Well, we are fairly certain we do know that the other mega Evos are not currently in X and Y. We found that out when we found out that the megaforms for Latios and Latias were in the game. And as for why not the rest: time. They simply weren't finished. The Latios/as forms also could have been scrapped ideas for X and Y that they decided to push off at some point for the ORAS release.

I'm not sure I can agree with you "time" wise, I mean the games are out only 1 year after XY. I'd think they'd do all the megas together and decide which games to introduce them in

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Anything like new Megas not being in X/Y can be solved with a quick patch. It's no big deal. I think there will be cross-compatibility with no problem. If anything it'd be welcome because I know people with X/Y will be wanting to duke it out with their Kalos teams against revamped Hoenn trainers. ;o

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    Anything like new Megas not being in X/Y can be solved with a quick patch. It's no big deal. I think there will be cross-compatibility with no problem. If anything it'd be welcome because I know people with X/Y will be wanting to duke it out with their Kalos teams against revamped Hoenn trainers. ;o

The thing is I don't there's a need for a any patches

Canen

Sometimes, I like to party.
    Years
  • DLC will fix this. I guarantee before OR/AS come out there will be an update for X/Y to give us this plus the extra Mega Evolutions.

This.

Nintendo are smart and will surely realise there will need to be an element of backward compatibility.

The wonderous thing about the modern age is the ability to patch and update via DLC.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • The thing is I don't there's a need for a any patches

You don't think there's a need for any patches...?

All the new Megas aren't in X/Y's data, if you're battling an OR/AS trainer and they go to mega evolve their Pokémon, the game will most likely try to load a model that doesn't exist...

I think that there will be a patch when the games come out. (This is wishful thinking from me because I'd like everyone to be able to get a chance to get the new Mega Stones without being able to just use a Powersave on X/Y to get the new Megas :p)

Also PSS is pretty much the only way to retain X/Y compatbility, and surely they're using X/Ys engine so it should already be there in the code, so why not?

MrGriszell

Madara
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2021
    You don't think there's a need for any patches...?

All the new Megas aren't in X/Y's data, if you're battling an OR/AS trainer and they go to mega evolve their Pokémon, the game will most likely try to load a model that doesn't exist...

I think that there will be a patch when the games come out. (This is wishful thinking from me because I'd like everyone to be able to get a chance to get the new Mega Stones without being able to just use a Powersave on X/Y to get the new Megas :p)

Also PSS is pretty much the only way to retain X/Y compatbility, and surely they're using X/Ys engine so it should already be there in the code, so why not?
    I was under the impression that people weren't able to completely hack into the games to discover all it's secrets , was that true? If so maybe all the data is already in the game. But hey if your right and we need patches to use them then this doesn't exclude us getting brand new pokemon

Years
  • I really hope so... If X and Y doesn't have certain Mega Evolutions like in OR/AS, Pokemon can always put out an update.

Years
  • I just hope the PSS is going to be in the game. And I hope they add more O-Powers! I'm sure if they bring it back then it's gonna be compatible with X&Y! I mean, we're still in Gen 6. ;)

Years
  • It's probably not too difficult for Game Freak to patch X and Y with a few Mega evolutions from ORAS, so I think it's probable that PSS makes an appearance in Hoenn and is backwards compatible with Kalos. Would be cool if it were an application on the PokeNav, I think. Gives some more relevance to the mechanic aside from Match Calls.

Years
  • Given how HGSS has been backwards compatible with DPPt and FRLG with RS (not counting Emerald since that came after FRLG) when the games couldn't even be patched, I have no doubt ORAS will be backwards compatible with XY. I also don't doubt the PSS will make a return; I can see it reappearing on the bottom screen again, but as a PokeNav application. (Makes the PokeNav more useful, if you ask me.) Lastly, I do agree that there will be a patch for XY so you can battle against and utilize the Megas revealed in ORAS.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • You don't think there's a need for any patches...?

In Gen V one could battle with Absofused (aka White/Black) Kyurem against players playing BW. The Kyurem formes still worked normally. So ORAS Megas might too. Or course the issue is how the opponent will know someone in ORAS Mega Evolved a Pokémon...
    Also they will need to add in the Primal Reversion's new signature moves (hinted at) and possibly new abilities into XY as it's not in the code (unless it was so well hidden no one found it).

About PSS. Likely they'll add in some of it's features into the Pokénav but O-Powers may not be added nor Aime or any of the other things. Especially since PSS is Kalos' version of the Pokénav. The Pokégear wasn't turned into a Pokétech during HGSS so I doubt the Pokénav will be turned into the PSS.

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    So, how will ORAS and X/Y relate to each other?

Especially with the advent of Pokémon Bank. With some of the new mega evolutions being revealed, will ORAS users be able to trade items to their XY versions, such as the new mega stones. And will they then be able to mega evolve the Pokémon whose mega forms have been revealed in ORAS?

Or how about any new content that's being revealed in ORAS? Will
    Nintendo release a patch to make any new features in those games compatible with X/Y?

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • We are not patching X and Y to make it compatible with OR and AS.

Please understand.

Spoiler:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • We are not patching X and Y to make it compatible with OR and AS.

Please understand.

Spoiler:

It'll still be compatible with XY even without a patch...it's just the Megas in ORAS that are messy seeing how unlike formes they work in battle...so they can't do the Black/White Kyurem thing as one can Mega evolve against someone with XY and they wouldn't even know that the person in ORAS went Mega on them...unless they allow the Pokemon to have the Mega animation but the model remain the same afterwards...

Birthday Thunder

Venus (Event Archivist)
    Years
  • Uh, you people do realize that Mega Latias, and Mega Latios, which are going to officially be revealed and released in ORAS are already in X and Y right? If the other megas (ie Swampert, Sableye, Sceptile, etc.) are not deep within the coding somewhere, then Gamefreak will just release a patch for X and Y making them available. We don't live in the 90's anymore. Games like these are not impossible to patch/update. In fact, it's just the opposite.

Back