• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing any oldies? tell us!

Razgriz

Acetaminophen
Years
  • Hey guys, whaddup xD Are you playing any oldies or classics right now?

I'm playing both Final Fantasy VIII and IX since I really like them and I never get tired of playing them, LITERALLY xD I completed them a lot of times on my PSX and PS2 :)

Another classic I'm always getting around (and having it finished like 30 times) is MGS, but I'm not playing it right now.

Go ahead!

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • Dunno if that goes as oldies but I began playing Metal Slug Anthology today, a sort of compilation of the games on PSP.
    Afterwards, I'd like to play Final Fantasy VI Advance and complete all the 4 games of Megaman Zero for the GBA.

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
  • Most of the oldies that I play come from the NES games. ^^ Mostly I've been playing:

~ Super Mario Bros.
    ~ Legend of Zelda
    ~ Super Mario Bros 3.
    ~ Ice Climbers

I do like playing these classic games, because I do love the nostalgia. :3

Keizaal

but innocence is gone
    Years
  • I completed them a lot of times on my PSX and PS2
    Playing any oldies? tell us!

Another classic I'm always getting around (and having it finished like 30 times) is MGS, but I'm not playing it right now.

Wait so... the definition of classic is anything that isn't the 'current generation' (Wii U, 360, PS3)? :/

Years
  • I played Super Mario Bros with game genie code "STAGEO," which makes all enemies throw hammers. It's quite challenging but very fun.

Wait so... the definition of classic is anything that isn't the 'current generation' (Wii U, 360, PS3)? :/

I'd say any game that was very successful in the past or spawned a successful series is a classic.

dd409

For the Swarm!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2013
    I've been meaning to go back and play the original Metal Gear (the 1987 MSX2 one), but from what I hear it's hard as all heck. I've also recently played Deus Ex, and it has aged pretty well. It was a fun game with a good story, although the ending (the canon one) was a little out of left field.

Years
  • I did find Metal Gear pretty hard, so I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet. Metal Gear 2 was a blast though! :happy2:

I love me my old games, probably moreso than modern ones. If I posted what I've been playing though, it'd be a very very long list. Pretty much everything from the NES onward.

Razgriz

Acetaminophen
    Years
  • I've been meaning to go back and play the original Metal Gear (the 1987 MSX2 one), but from what I hear it's hard as all heck. I've also recently played Deus Ex, and it has aged pretty well. It was a fun game with a good story, although the ending (the canon one) was a little out of left field.

If you played MGSghost babel then you shouldnt have any problems. I found it rather easy.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • the only classic game I am replaying is Sonic 3 and knuckles on the Sega genesis.
    I want to beat it on 1 life like I used to be able to do.
    To me a classic is anything pre xbox/PS1/GC days.

Andrew

Ah Yeah 아예
    Years
  • I've been playing through Jak II and Jak 3 recently. They're not the oldest games, but they're definitely not recent at this point and I still love them over a lot of current generation games :D

I've also been playing Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on the Wii VC as well.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Not personally. My friend has been streaming a playthrough of the Pokemon Green beta since we somehow got onto the subject and I've been dictating the team and moves.

The definition of classic is 'exhibiting timeless quality'. This implies age, but that isn't strictly necessary if a new game is good enough and has already had an immediate and significant effect on the industry or market or whatever. A decent (although no longer recent) example might be CoD4 — from that point the series exploded in popularity and its multiplayer system has been mimicked more than once.
    And I would call an 'oldie' anything at least ten years old.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I've been playing Dragon Quest I-III (aka Dragon Warrior at one point) for the NES. Finished the third and first game and I'm currently on the second game. I've always been a fan of the DQ series as it's essentially the mother of the JRPG. It's never had the deepest storyline or gameplay, but there's definitely a certain charm to them. The main series of games stayed with pretty much the basic formula for all these years, which is admirable, up until the release of Dragon Quest X (an MMO)

Years
  • I've been really digging Spyro again lately. I only really consider the first 3 Spyro games on PSX the classics (the subsequent games get the Dragonball GT treatment). I gotta say, they're still probably my favorite games to date.

Jeremy

<font color="deepskyblue">Sweetie</font>
    Years
  • Well everyday I beat Super Mario Bros and Super Mario World just because I can.

I have been in the mood to play some River City Ransom and Pikmin 2, sweeties.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • If you wanna go back to the days of DOS, one of my absolute favorites is Tyrian. One of the best games ever made imo.

SLBros.

Skinny purple guy
    Years
  • I've been really digging Spyro again lately. I only really consider the first 3 Spyro games on PSX the classics (the subsequent games get the Dragonball GT treatment). I gotta say, they're still probably my favorite games to date.

These 3 games were my first games, and they're just loads of fun. I can replay them anytime and still find them fun.
    Although the latter games had much controversy, A Hero's Tail on the PS2/Gamecube is a great game as well. It actually adds a whole new depth in gameplay while keeping the core of the classics, and has (surprisingly) its hard times. If you manage to get the game someday, give it a shot, I found it worth the play.
    The other one though, Enter the Dragonfly...was kinda boring. It lacked level design quality.

I also bought a SNES controller recently, which means I can finally play that Donkey Kong Country cartridge I had laying around. This game is actually very hard! Still plays really well, the classics never gets old I guess.

TY

I've been playing StarCraft 1 and Tiberian Sun a lot, the latter being my first game i got fed up with...

Both are RTS games and both had a good atmosphere in the game which made them fun to play

Years
  • I've been playing a bit of Morrowind and Oblivion, I like going back to games in the TES series from time to time and appreciate the differences between the games.

Darkrai666

ThatscaryFreakyguywhoisDa rkrai
    Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2014
    M to the A to the R to the I to the O
    MARIO!!

I played it yesterday

Back