• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

playing as the opposite gender

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I usually play as the boy (I'm a boy in RL) but on a long-standing Ruby file I was a female character. No particular reason, it just happened. The file had a rather crappy team though (Sceptile, Swampert, Blaiziken, Pelliper, Groudon, Spinda). Yeah, I'm not sure why I had that little variety. Or Spinda.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I usually pick the character I think looks the best. Usually ends up being the male. However, I am always female in Crystal because...well I don't really know lol. I guess cause you can only play as Crys in that game so she's unique. Plus I remember being tired of the dude sprite.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    i'm a female and i play as a female. only time i've played as a male other than pre-crystal days was a playthrough on ruby once where i played as a male. i named the character jay sean and the sceptile "chris brown", i believe. :)

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • I just play as which ever character i like more and typically i like the male character more, the only female character i liked more than a male was dawn i never like the male player from the DPPt saga.

Years
  • I pick with whichever character I like more and since I've played all of 3 different games (and one was Blue) I've only had a choice for Heart Gold and White and both times I picked the girl trainer.

Years
  • I did that once in Pokemon Crystal, because back then the whole pick your gender character thing was new in Pokemon back then, and I wanted to try it out. But other than that, nope.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • I always switch around to whatever I feel like when I start a new game. If I have both versions of something, I'll usually be male in one and female in the other.

I usually pick the males when I first get a game from the latest generation, I suppose. Then if I'm re-starting a game for a nuzlocke or something, I'll pick the girl to create a fresh experience. Yeah.

I do prefer some designs over others, so I'll give a list:

Red < Leaf
    Old Ethan = Kris
    New Ethan < Lyra
    Brendan = May
    Lucas < Dawn
    Hilbert < or = Hilda

AND I CANNOT STRESS LUCAS < DAWN ENOUGH. WHO THOUGHT BLUE ON RED WAS A GOOD IDEA.

Poor Lucas, being stuck with crazed color designers that have no sense of what are and aren't matching colors.

I feel comfortable playing both sexes. It's not like playing a girl is going to emasculate me or something.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I did that once in Pokemon Crystal, because back then the whole pick your gender character thing was new in Pokemon back then, and I wanted to try it out. But other than that, nope.
    Basically the same for me and that was for an alternate file too. XD Otherwise it's always been the male for me, as I don't really dislike their designs to the point of playing as the female.

Blaze the Cat

Life hurts, and so do I
    Years
    • Seen May 19, 2014
    i only take the female character on my emulated games cuz i wanna try it and partially because the female characters look sexy

Last edited:
    Years
  • I never really thought about it since I usually go for which character design I like best, but I have only played my own gender a couple of times. The only two I usually use the girl character is the D/P and FR/LG series. I actually should of had one in HG/SS but I couldn't let go of Gold, haha.

Years
  • Occasionally I'll play as the female character(I'm a guy) if I feel like just messing around a bit or if it's just a run for the fun of it.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • "If I have to stare at a digital ass all day, it might as well be a girl's."

I head that somewhere but I can't remember where. Anyways, I've started playing as the girl once, but never got far, I think I might do it next time just 'cause.

Last edited:

OriginGiratina

Dragon-type Trainer
    Years
  • I always play as boy. I haven't ever thought of playing as a girl. I always select my gender before playing and I feel uncomfortable when selecting the opposite gender

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I have always played as a girl, while I actually like the boy char better most of the time, but it just feels weird. I have played once as a guy char, that was in Sapphire, but that was after I already beat the game as a girl char.

Ice Car

Banned
    Years
  • It depends. Does the female character look better? I'll choose her.

If she doesn't? Well, actually, I'll still choose the female. I think I may be secretly gay or something, I always tend to play as girls. As in ALWAYS.

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • I pretty much always play as the male character even though I am a girl; I only choose the girl on my main account and I choose the boy because 1. I love guys and 2. I think Pokemon is more of a guy game in general.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    [SIZE="a"]Everytime in the past have been a guy, but earlier this week when restarting Pearl I started as the girl character and called her Dawn. Man, I love Dawn. Without her pokemon just wouldn't be the same.[/SIZE]

Back