• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

playing as the opposite gender

Joe Chan

Chef
Years
  • It really a pattern for me.
    One game I pick male. The next Game, as in moving from Ruby to FireRed, I pick female. So on and so on the more games I buy, though to be honest I always pick the female character in firered.

Years
  • In general, I only play as the male character. On one occassion though, I decided that I wanted to use the female character when I restarted my Sapphire. The only reason I thought this would be interesting was that the male character would still be named Brendan, even if I wasn't playing as him.

Years
    • Seen Mar 18, 2017
    I'm a guy, and I think it depends on the designs. For example, I absolutely REFUSE to play as a girl in D/P/Pt or HG/SS because I don't really like the female character designs. However, I'll occasionally do it in Crystal or FR/LG, because the Crys and Leaf designs are much better than, say, Dawn. And plus, I've played the 1st and 2nd gen games a lot, so I'm getting a little tired of playing as Red and Ethan over and over again. 3rd and 5th gen games I don't really prefer any one over the other, and I haven't played through them that much (I don't know why), so I usually play as the male.

Last edited:

Avishka

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    when I started playing I always played as a girl but after few months I started playing as a boy and I am still playing as a boy :p

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Yeah I almost always play as the male character. Unlike everyone else it seems I generally prefer the male designs in the first place; I think the only time I played as a female was in Emerald, though there's no specific reason for that I guess. Besides, I like coming up with male names moreso than female ones. :>

Dreadnought

Imperador
    Years
  • Yeah I play as both (even though I am a guy). This was especially true in Diamond/Pearl/Platinum since I hated that stupid hat the male protagonist would wear.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • Other than being forced to play as a male in Pokemon Red, Blue, Gold and Silver because Pokemon was very sexist back then (my opinion), I have never played as the opposite sex after Pokemon Gold and Silver.

:t354:TG

Briar

how do you make coffee sexy?
    Years
  • i'm a girl, and i always play as the guy.
    it's pretty much because i like the character design of the guy. i only play as the girl if her hair length isn't long enough to be put up in a pony-tail.

Guest123_x1

In Crystal, I have played as the female character a few times, simply to take advantage of the gender selection feature introduced with that game.

Blazing Flare

Burning brightly
    Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2012
    For me it depends, I use the female character when I think the overall design is superior (I'm a guy).
    I think the most clear cases I can think of where that applies are FR/LG and D/P/PT.
    For the Hoenn games the male trainer is clearly cooler looking though and in B/W I feel its a tie personally.

Neiko Star

Dancing rain
    Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2012
    ALWAYS. ALWAYYYYYS.

-cough- I just like the male characters more, most of the time. I blame PokeSpecial!

Yoak

Pokemon Battler In-Training
    Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2012
    Yes...
    But only in the 3rd gen... Especially on sapphire..

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    Yeah, I often play as a girl. I try to make sure I have at least one game with each player, but I have my preferences. In RBY/FRLG and GSC/HGSS I tend to play as male because I prefer the design of the males, but in RSE and DPPt I prefer the female PC design, so I play as them. In fact I've never played a 3rd gen game with Brendan because I think his design is awful, a real eyesore. 5th gen's split, I love both designs. I played as a guy in White and a girl in Black.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
  • I always play as a boy, just because I prefer it more than playing than a girl. I've only ever played as a girl once and that was in Diamond - after that I didn't play as a girl ever again xD

Back