• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playing with just 1 Pokemon

zerwey

:3
Years
  • Has anyone, other than me, tried to play through and beat the entire game with just one Pokemon?

For example, you use only one Pokemon to fight throughout the entire game, but you have a few other Pokemon that you use for their hidden moves, and you use them only outside of battle for their hidden moves (HM slaves).

If you've tried it, share your stories!

I completed the game with just Infernape, and he was at level 97 after beating the E4 and Cynthia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Drapion

Pokemon Collector
    Years
    • Seen May 18, 2009
    You'll see how hard it is once you encounter some elite 4 water pokemon :P

Milke

Chill it an' spill it.
    Years
  • Only Infernape? That's easy. Try it with a Chatot or Dunsparce. I did all of Pokemon Sapphire using a nincada and then a ninjask. Swept the Leet 4. he was level 80. sigh...then my crappy diamond screwed up the migration and now he's trapped between dimensions somewhere.

Years
  • Single Pokémon runs are very common within the online fandom. I've never tried one myself, but I've heard of people ending up with their Pokémon in the 80s and 90s in terms of level after the Elite Four challenge (as evidenced by DunderMifflinite).

CrasH

Beasterling
    Years
  • I haven't tried it in d/p yet, All the pokemon are still pretty new so I like trying all of them out.

On my FR right now though, I'm going through the game with just a Blastoise. I just got through the SS anne, and he's level 40. I might catch a clefairy too though. 2 pokes would be fun.. It's a good break up from having to level up all 6.

Gusxx1

Name/FC: Gus / 4082 1523 9868
    Years
  • I did it with a ditto. I am at the elite four currently. I believe its like 70+ at the end of the video series. Don't remember.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    A ditto? that's awesome! I haven't tried any of this yet, but I think I will, just to see how it works. I might overwrite my Pearl to do it.... I don't to restart my Platinum Version.

squirtle90

Guardian Of The Normal Pokemon
    Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2010
    thats how all my pokemon are over 90 i started a new game on pearl focused on one pokemon sent it to my diamond and when i had done loads i sent them back to pearl

Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2014
    Has anyone, other than me, tried to play through and beat the entire game (Platinum or D/P) with just one Pokemon?

I basically beat the game with just Torterra. I leveled up a Magmar to deal with the grass gym and the bug E4 member, but aside from that, Torterra was pretty strong against everything, even fire types (because of Earthquake). As a result, he was around level 70-75 when I got to the E4, so that helped a lot too.

But it wasn't truly "solo," since there were a few times he fainted and I used the other pokemon to revive, heal, etc. But Torterra basically did all the fighting. Between grass and ground moves (and Crunch), he seems pretty strong against everything in the game.

BUG♥CATCHER★BREEZE

Lurker from the deep
    Years
  • Completed Platinum only with Cherrim and two Magikarp HM slaves (yeah, hacked the HM'S on them when I got the actual HM, rather than carry more Pokémon and tempt myself into using them). Everything on Cyrus' team in Super Effective (okay, bar Gyrados, but he's the strongest...!) against her. *mumbles angrily*
    Platinum is the longest game so far (right...) so I'd say anyone could do it. It actually makes the game hard, rather than complaining the games are too easy, they should give it a go.

zerwey

:3
    Years
  • I did it with a ditto. I am at the elite four currently. I believe its like 70+ at the end of the video series. Don't remember.

Just a Ditto? I want to do that sooo badly...but I don't have a Ditto lol

But keep in mind Infernape is also a Fighting type...so i can use those moves against Water types. It'll be hard but I'll load up on Hyper Potions xP.

But it wasn't truly "solo," since there were a few times he fainted and I used the other pokemon to revive, heal, etc. But Torterra basically did all the fighting. Between grass and ground moves (and Crunch), he seems pretty strong against everything in the game.

Yeah...same with my Infernape. I "cheat" a little by using my HM-only Pokemon to revive him. But he does all the fighting. If I'm forced to do a Double Battle, I just have Eevee as the second Pokemon, only using Helping Hand.

Cheesymitten

Dukcs
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2015
    Tried andddd failed :S
    I would like to try and do all of it :D it'd be a pretty good challenge ^_^

Zackraa

Nom Nom Nom
    Years
  • Feraligatr on my Gold game I didn't really mean to all the rest of my pokemon pretty much died constantly throughout the game with none of them leveling unless I revived them ended up with a lv. 100 Feraligatr and the rest of my team being in the lv. 30 range because of exp share xD

Back