• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Playstation 3 Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

moments.

quixotic
Years
  • Will I be better off knowing the story before MGS4 before playing it? Or do you reckon just a bit of reading up on the story will suffice?

RockHardSemi

Lv 53
    Years
  • Yeah, I can't believe how much better the graphics are compared to other consoles (I'm writing this using my ps3). XD Thanks for the recommendations I like first person shooting games and you've put some on the list.

Yeah, the upgrade's a big jump. Some games make me stare in awe for a few minutes before actually playing!

A FPS fan ey? Then I'll add some more suggestions.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 - If you have some good headphones/speakers, this game will make full use of them! The sounds it produces are the best I've ever heard, in my opinion.

(£24 at Amazon.co.uk -> https://amzn.to/c6LG36)

Bioshock 1 and 2 - The first game is a very atmospheric and introduces you to a world packed full of originality. The sequel extends this, but improves upon the gameplay by allowing you to dual wield a plasmid and a weapon.

(Bioshock 1 - You'll have to look in-store or on eBay, not many online retailers still sell it.)
    (Bioshock 2 at Amazon, £12 -> https://amzn.to/dsQojw)

Whilst on prices...

Killzone 2 for £7.99 Pre-Owned at GAME -> https://bit.ly/d94Iei
    Resistance 2 is also for £7.99 at Gamestation/GAME, but are out of stock online.
    Uncharted 2 for £14.99 at HMV New -> https://bit.ly/c8Hr5Q

Will I be better off knowing the story before MGS4 before playing it? Or do you reckon just a bit of reading up on the story will suffice?

I've not played the Metal Gear Solid series, but from what I gather it has a heavy story to it. Though if you mainly want it for it's stealth then a thorough read through may give you an idea about it.

Barney.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 30, 2015
    Will I be better off knowing the story before MGS4 before playing it? Or do you reckon just a bit of reading up on the story will suffice?

I played 4, then the others consequently. In my opinion, a read up will suffice.

Livinitup17

Pokemon Dealer
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2012
    what are some ps3 that are good out there i played fifa,cod,ratchet and clank series what else out there is good to play

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    what are some ps3 that are good out there i played fifa,cod,ratchet and clank series what else out there is good to play
    From Experience:
    Demon's Souls-Amazing Action RPG. It's considered to be difficult like Ninja Gaiden, but rarely are the deaths the fault of the game. Most of the times you die are because you're reckless or you aren't skilled, not because the game pulled some cheap trick. The online play is unique for a console game and makes it almost MMO like. I'd go in more detail if you want.
    Uncharted-Great series. It's beautiful, the gameplay(Third person, cover-based shooting) is done really well, the characters are charming, and Uncharted 2 has online play if a well presented story(note: not good, just well presented) isn't enough for you.
    Killzone 2-Gritty First Person Shooter. The story is lacking, but from what I've heard, the multiplayer makes it shine. It feels incredibly realistic, if you're a fan of that kind of thing.
    MAG-Online only FPS, but it's great. You can play with up to 256 players on a single map and while not a balanced game, it's not entirely broken. It's getting a lot of upgrades pretty frequently and it's just fun overall. Not incredibly polished like Killzone 2 but it works damn fine.
    Valkyria Chronicles-Alright, I may have only played the demo, but it seems like a truly interesting game. The gameplay seems solid, and surprisingly it mixes strategy with action really well. I've heard the story is lacking, but it looks pretty nice too.

From Word of Mouth:
    Metal Gear Solid 4
    Fat Princess
    God of War
    God of War Collection

Unreleased:
    The Last Guardian
    Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection
    Killzone 3
    Portal 2(Although not exclusive, Gabe said himself that it would be the best on any console)
    Gran Turismo 5
    Sly Cooper Collection

There are much more, but I'm just having a brain fart right now, so I can't think of anything. Damn.

Last edited:

razzbat

dancer
    Years
  • PS3 got no games or at least none that look fun to me at least
    not enough fps i'm assuming.
    seriously, why do you come to this thread just to say that?

if anybody from australia wants to play ssf4 or tekken 6 just for fun (i'm not that good at either) please vm me! XD

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Hey guys we should get some teams up on MW2.

If you want to play with me just add toon032.

Years
  • I want to give my mate some of my downloaded PSN/PSOne games, and have been told the only way it can be done is using my account on his PS3 and downloading it using 1 of my 5 limit. Is this correct?

The games are Sonic 4, Bomberman Ultra, Crash Bandicoot Warped and Rayman in case anyone asks.

Regarding Bomberman, can we go online against each other even though it's not really his game (Similar to what I had in Red Alert 2, where I let my mate borrow the other disc, we played each other, but he got banned)?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    MW2 team sounds good. I have a few PSNs, add me on my main if you want, should be on my profile

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • Is there anybody out here who plays red dead read redemption?
    I've beaten the game some time ago, but I never really played online.
    I also never played midnightclub online.

VM if you wanna play:)

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    Okay, I have you LazyLosLobos:)

I will add you tomarrow Fox. We will get a PC clan going.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Hopefully this is the right place for this!

After years of asking not to receive Christmas gifts due to being happy with my Pokemon Emerald (I'm still not done, maybe by college I'll buy Diamond and Pearl with a new DS) and my original Xbox, I'm finally feeling like it's time to get a new system. I already have a Wii and have played the best Nintendo games to death. That leaves the PS3 and the 360. I have a few questions in order to ensure that we don't spend a lot of money for little return.

First of all, I have little experience with popular war/shooter games that, from what I can tell, seem to dominate both systems, and they've never really seemed like my thing. I am, however, willing to give them a try, but I only want to buy one. I really want to know what the best shooter game is to buy for someone who has no real experience with them and wants to give one a shot. This can be a PS3 exclusive or even a 360 exclusive...I just want a good idea here.

Next up, what are good non-shooter exclusive PS3 games? I must admit that I'm leaning toward getting a PS3--I really want to play Spongebob Supersponge and Pac-Man World from the Playstation (1) era, and there aren't all of those battery packs and chargers to buy with the PS3. But still, as a big fan of Sports games, my list of games is only at NBA 2K11, NHL 11, MLB: The Show, and the Playstation games I just mentioned. (Yeah, I'm into platformers and sports games. Sue me.) I've seen Ratchet & Clank as well as an update of the Sly series (both are well-reviewed), and I was wondering how good those are?

My next question is about LittleBigPlanet. The rave reviews and the game of the year award suggest greatness. However, I just can't shake the feeling that it's just these little stringy guys doing nothing. For those who have played the game, what do you do and is the hype justified? Is it a must-own title to the point where it might be a real reason to buy a PS3 over a 360?

My next question is about the hardware. Some reviews I have read for various games that are also on the 360 have lower rating, and the consistent theme seems to be bugs and freezing. Has anyone experienced this? Is this actually a serious potential problem for a potential PS3 owner like myself?

Finally, how is Playstation network? I've never been much of an online gamer (I've never played online once), but I haven't ruled it out and I'm wondering if it's a good service. I'm not supercompetitive--lack of a headset to trash-talk and things like that don't bug me. All of my friends have 360's anyway. Is the online environment good for playing some solid non-computer opponents?

Hopefully this wasn't too painfully obvious. I've researched all of this but a lot of things online seem biased or just weren't what I was looking for. Advice on which system to get would be great, but the questions I asked are my primary concerns. Thanks!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Next up, what are good non-shooter exclusive PS3 games? I must admit that I'm leaning toward getting a PS3--I really want to play Spongebob Supersponge and Pac-Man World from the Playstation (1) era, and there aren't all of those battery packs and chargers to buy with the PS3. But still, as a big fan of Sports games, my list of games is only at NBA 2K11, NHL 11, MLB: The Show, and the Playstation games I just mentioned. (Yeah, I'm into platformers and sports games. Sue me.) I've seen Ratchet & Clank as well as an update of the Sly series (both are well-reviewed), and I was wondering how good those are?
    3D Dot Game Heroes, Atelier Rorona: Alchemist of Arland, Demon's Souls, Disgaea 3, inFamous, Grand Turismo 5, ModNation Racers, and Heavy Rain are exclusive to the PS3(save a few that you already mentioned) and are already out. There are more exclusive PS3 titles coming out, like Final Fantasy Versus XIII, HyperDimension Neptunia, inFamous 2, The Last Guardian, more Collection games, and many others that are shooters. You should try to check out the shooters on the console as well though. Uncharted 2 is a gorgeous game and it really would be a waste if you never played it, and Valkyria Chronicles is an interesting game as well, to say the least.

However, there is Eternal Sonata and Star Ocean: The Last Hope, that both were 360 exclusive but got ported over to the PS3 with more features, but I don't think that would count as exclusive.

My next question is about the hardware. Some reviews I have read for various games that are also on the 360 have lower rating, and the consistent theme seems to be bugs and freezing. Has anyone experienced this? Is this actually a serious potential problem for a potential PS3 owner like myself?
    It depends entirely on the developer. Some games may be better on the PS3 for reasons, but there are also games that got mediocre ports like The Orange Box(which, to be honest, is a pretty mediocre port all by itself, but is even worse on the PS3) to the PS3. The problem used to mainly be in the beginning when PS3 had no games and just lived off of the 360 library by stealing exclusives, but I don't think there's any major porting problems anymore.

Finally, how is Playstation network? I've never been much of an online gamer (I've never played online once), but I haven't ruled it out and I'm wondering if it's a good service. I'm not supercompetitive--lack of a headset to trash-talk and things like that don't bug me. All of my friends have 360's anyway. Is the online environment good for playing some solid non-computer opponents?
    PSN is a great service, just like XBL. However, it is free(although $60 isn't much, it's still annoying having to have the only console that makes you pay to play online, even if you don't use it that often) and has an optional $50 PS+ that gives free games(they're connected to your PS+ though, so you don't get to keep them if your service runs out), discounts, and other perks to their players. I think every PS+ subscriber got beta access to Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood a while ago. It is a bit emptier than XBL because a headphone isn't bundled with the console, but it's up to you to think of that as a good or bad side effect.

Personally, I'd choose the PS3 only because I think the game library on PSN is superior(many PS1 classics are out and are still coming out), but don't treat everything I say seriously, I'm just a PS3 fanboy.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • Should I buy a PS3, I'll definitely get the first Uncharted as the shooter to try out. It seems to be popular even though its inferiority to the second has been noted. If I like it I'll definitely buy the second one. Infamous is another one that interests me, I didn't see that originally looking through the games available for the PS3, so thanks!

You mentioned PS1 classics...how exactly does the backwards compatibility work? Do you actually put the PS1 discs in or do you download the titles? (As you might of noticed, I'm not very tech savvy, and Google doesn't like cooperating when I try to research it.) If it's the latter, anywhere I can find a list (I couldn't even get that...lol). Thanks!

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Should I buy a PS3, I'll definitely get the first Uncharted as the shooter to try out. It seems to be popular even though its inferiority to the second has been noted. If I like it I'll definitely buy the second one. Infamous is another one that interests me, I didn't see that originally looking through the games available for the PS3, so thanks!

You mentioned PS1 classics...how exactly does the backwards compatibility work? Do you actually put the PS1 discs in or do you download the titles? (As you might of noticed, I'm not very tech savvy, and Google doesn't like cooperating when I try to research it.) If it's the latter, anywhere I can find a list (I couldn't even get that...lol). Thanks!

You can do it both ways. You can download whole games on PSN without the physical disc form or you can play PS1 classic games through the disc. I'm sure you know, but every currently produced model of the PS3 Slim is not backwards compatible with PS2 games, although that shouldn't matter much because many games from the PS2 are either going to be remastered or have their own edition on the Wii.
    Here's a good list of the PSN games by section, if you can trust Wikipedia. The only thing I would suggest is that you try to get a US PS3. Although the systems aren't region locked, the regions themselves have their own content on PSN and the PAL PS3 game selection is just poor compared to the US, from what I can see at least.

Guren

Troll
    Years
  • What should I get?

OK, so I'm getting a PS3 sometime before Christmas with the money I've saved up, along with Call of Duty: Black Ops.

What I'm asking is what games should I get on Christmas, for my PS3, since I won't have any? What are some essential games for the system?

Also, would WAW and MW2 (my two favourite games) still be worth getting for Multiplayer, although a lot of people would have moved on to BO?

Last edited:
    Years
  • OK, so I'm getting a PS3 sometime before Christmas with the money I've saved up, along with Call of Duty: Black Ops.

What I'm asking is what games should I get on Christmas, for my PS3, since I won't have any? What are some essential games for the system?

Also, would WAW and MW2 (my two favourite games) still be worth getting for Multiplayer, although a lot of people would have moved on to BO?

Both Uncharteds are a must in my opinion, though I'd recommend getting the first one to begin with as it's cheaper and in case you don't like it, it won't be as much money wasted. I would also say God of War 3, but only if you've played and liked the other two.

As for WAW and MW2, I'd say there'll still be plenty of people on MW2, but not so much on WAW (Though don't hold me to that).

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back