• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Thread: Plot, Planning & Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    OK - not an extract from me but a couple of questions.

A few people have asked about Gilded Halls making a return, revisiting an x-men-esque school for the gifted - one problem I have is how to actually run it. The school environment lends itself to a sandbox RP, with mere signposts on what to do/where. Last time I ran it however, I tried to add a story, on top of that, focusing on the teachers/school itself rather than the characters.

So my question: which do you think would work better? Should I drop the story element incase it's distracting? Or maybe I should big it up and make it more important.

Any feedback would be great, I'll post a link to GH here once I'm off my phone so people who weren't around last time can help too. ><

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
    Years
  • OK - not an extract from me but a couple of questions.

A few people have asked about Gilded Halls making a return, revisiting an x-men-esque school for the gifted - one problem I have is how to actually run it. The school environment lends itself to a sandbox RP, with mere signposts on what to do/where. Last time I ran it however, I tried to add a story, on top of that, focusing on the teachers/school itself rather than the characters.

So my question: which do you think would work better? Should I drop the story element incase it's distracting? Or maybe I should big it up and make it more important.

Any feedback would be great, I'll post a link to GH here once I'm off my phone so people who weren't around last time can help too. ><

If you're after a high volume of RPers, drop the story, it'll make it easier for newcommers to join in. On the other hand, if you're after a small number, push the story aspect more. For most school-based RPs (looking at Youkai, Pkmn Trainer and previous ones) it tends to run better with a more overarching and less intense story.

A story is more likely to keep people interested, but more likely to deter new people joining. Less of a story and people can move freely, but without certain direction, things can either spiral out of control and derail or become stagnant. But there are less things happening so people are more likely to come and go.

Choose your poison, so to speak.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I see Glided Halls to be a free-running roleplay with the players creating their own plots using the setting you've given to them. I'd drop the story. It'll allow a bit more freedom for the roleplayers to develop their characters, just like how it was done in the past.

can't wait for it, swiftyyy <3

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2016
    Ok so i don't have a RP up yet, but im thinking on creating one. I'm thinking of creating a .//hacksign role play for The World R:3 and it would be more of an open RP to allow players to do what ever it is their character wants to do in "The World". I'm looking for another mind to brain-storm up some ideas with me and kind of be co-creators of this RP. Any one interested?

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Alright, so, Swifty and I were talking about an idea for an RP. We're not planning on GM'ing it, but I'm throwing the idea out there, so that if anyone finds that it's an interesting idea, they can create it. Because holy ♥♥♥♥, I want this RP so badly XD

So basically, it's a Final Fantasy X RP. If you haven't played the game, here's a basic summary of what it's about:

A great evil is terrorizing the world, destroying villages, murdering and what have you all across the world. No conventional weapons can destroy this massive beast, so it's up to someone called a Summoner to journey through the lands, visit the various religious temples, pray at each one of them and finally, recieve the Final Summon, which will be able to destroy the big-bad. The summoner is helped on his/her way with the aid of Guardians, basically being bodyguards, protecting the summoner, that he/she picks. It can be anything from sword-wielders to magic-wielders to fist-fighters, etcetera.

And that's basically what the RP's plot would be. One player would be a summoner, and the rest of them, the summoner's guardians. They travel through the lands and get into all sorts of hi-jinks. That said, there are a -ton- of classes you'd be able to choose from, as a player, and Swifty and I would be able to give whoever decided to GM this so, so much help with this, which I, at least, would be overjoyed to help with, should this interest you.

Basically, it would be an RPG RP, semi-sandboxy, with an overarching plot, lots of different classes and weapons to pick from, and a very interesting, diverse world to travel through.

Thoughts/ideas about this? If anyone's interested in making this RP an actuality, I'd be happy to give them my help :3 For now though, Bastian out!

<Challenger>

Goodbye PC...for now.
    Years
  • Guys...I'm going through with a roleplay. "What roleplay are you thinking about, <Challenger>?" You may ask. Well, I am thinking....

Space_Dandy_promotional_image.jpg

Space Dandy.

Yes, this anime is sporadic, awkward, random, and it lacks a general plot, but I still think a roleplay for it would be very fun, and has the potential to delve into a legitimate storyline. I think that, with help, I would be able to pull it off and develop a functioning roleplay complete with action, love, adventure, and Boobies. Who's in?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Guys...I'm going through with a roleplay. "What roleplay are you thinking about, <Challenger>?" You may ask. Well, I am thinking....

Space_Dandy_promotional_image.jpg

Space Dandy.

Yes, this anime is sporadic, awkward, random, and it lacks a general plot, but I still think a roleplay for it would be very fun, and has the potential to delve into a legitimate storyline. I think that, with help, I would be able to pull it off and develop a functioning roleplay complete with action, love, adventure, and Boobies. Who's in?
    I've never heard about it before, but I can imagine that anything can be turned into a RP if you plan out a plot and give enough background information to the players for them to be able to create believable and enjoyable characters.

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • I'm thinking of making a Fire Emblem RP, one set in it's own world. Not too many details yet besides that almost all (if not absolutely all) classes from all FE titles may make appearances/be available and two non-GM players will be allowed to be Lords. More details coming tomorrow when I've ironed out more thoughts into a presentable thingamajigger, just leaving this here tonight to see if there's any basic interest or ideas.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • Hey there! Some of you may remember me; it's been a reeeaaally long time since I got the itch to come back to these forums for some fun-time RPing. (Weird new format, huh?)

Anyways, I've had this idea for a RP based on a manhwa that I really enjoy, although I figure I should check whether people are familiar and/or interested in doing something related to this before I devote a bunch of time into an RP that may not work out; so without further ado: (click the spoiler tag)

:D

Spoiler:

PS: If you've never heard of this, or read it, I reeaally, reeaally recommend you do; it's GREAT!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    @ drunk, welcome back! Haven't seen you in ages (RHCP here).

That looks pretty cool actually. Tower of God? Maybe I'll check it out, sounds like a good thing to make a RP out of.

disciplish

supreme meme machine
    Years
  • @Drunk- I think it's obvious to any fan of the series that I've heard of it [*cough cough Hatsu avatar cough cough*], so I'll just skip that.

I would definitely be interested! I was brainstorming one myself, but I decided against it for personal reasons. There was a few problems I came across though, mostly being the scope.
    • Are you going to have them climb all the floors of the tower, or only some?
    • How close to canon are you keeping it?
    • How are you going to make up with things that aren't mentioned in the manhwa?
    I'm not saying you have to answer that now [or at all] but generally those are the things I ended up having as stumbling blocks.

agagaga either way I say keep pushing on, I'm 100% on-board with joining if you make it.

Colony

Poe and Palahniuk's Prodige
    Years
  • @Drunk: I kinda have the same concerns that DLMuerte mentioned. How ToG skips multiple floors in the story seems like it could be problematic, since you would have to build everything in between from the ground up. There's also the complex mechanics of shinsoo manipulation. Overall, I would love for an RP about ToG, to be made, but I wonder how practical it could be. If you end of going forward with it, I'll be sure to make an SU.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • @Doctor: Whoa! At first I was like "wtf? who is this?!?!" :P
    Glad to see you're still here! :D

As for Colony and DLMuerte's questions:

• Are you going to have them climb all the floors of the tower, or only some?
    • How close to canon are you keeping it?
    • How are you going to make up with things that aren't mentioned in the manhwa?
    There's also the complex mechanics of shinsoo manipulation. Overall, I would love for an RP about ToG, to be made, but I wonder how practical it could be.

1. Absolutely NOT going to have people climb every floor individually in the tower; there's WAAAAY too many of them for that to be even close to practical without making the RP super-rushed and simple.
    2. Not sure how close to canon I want to go, there's a lot of very interesting characters that I would love to make use of, and since we will all be RPing as regular regulars I will probably try to make a story parallel to that of the canon… who knows, maybe we want to take down FUG? ;)
    3. Adding things that aren't in the manhwa is probably what I'm looking forward to the most! We definitely will be skipping some of the floors we see the gang go through, staying longer in some of the ones we only get a glimpse of, and completely making new ones from scratch!!! :D
    4. As for shinsoo manipulation, I agree that it'll be hard to come up with something foolproof, so I think I may just try to make up a VERY simple stat system to determine a character's ability to control shinsoo; one stat to control the number of points of focus you can manipulate, one to determine how much shinshoo you can manipulate, and one to determine shape??
      Honestly, if anyone has an idea to make this work, or some way easier to implement shinsoo manipulation, I'd appreciate it A LOT, since this part is kind of imperative… :D

So yeah… definitely nowhere close to coming up with something solid yet here, but I'm definitely glad to see some interest in the idea!!

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • So I just went through my PM box and grabbed some of my old roleplay ideas that I never really elaborated on. I figured I'd post them here, and if any interest is shown I might pick one to actually work on. I'm also always opening to having a co-GM for some assistance.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I have a few more ideas lying around as well as swirling in my head, but I'll just leave y'all with these five for now.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    @Nakuzami

I can't say much on some of your ideas, although I'm not entirely sure how a KH-Academy would walk. And I hate keyblades.

The DWMA is a great idea though! It inspires some team work, but could always be flexible if masters/weapons could change every now and then. The academy style would also work, although I would prefer to see more emphasis on missions (compulsory/optional) for teams to go on. In terms of canon characters, you could just make this in a 'post SE' world where you offer a possible future - although you'd have to be careful not to post spoilers. IE it would be reasonable to say _____ is a professor, but not 'because their partner is dead' :P or whatever.

drunk ¬_¬

Koga Bunshin no Jutsu!
    Years
  • @Nakuzami:
    I like the Eternal Wars idea!
    Probably because up until like, a week ago, I was really into CIV 5, and, well, in that game you're an immortal leader of a civilization competing against other leaders to prove your civilization's superiority… yeah, that might be really cool if handled correctly (or it could be a total bust, unfortunately… seems challenging)

And the Elder Scrolls/Pokemon crossover is something I had been thinking about for a while since Skyrim came out (was too busy playing it to actually, like, write anything though, haha)
    Maybe Dragon-types were extinct and are now coming back, and are WAY stronger than other Pokémon - as in, not weak to Ice-type attacks - so Dovahkin have to use Dragon-type attacks or Shouts to beat them… (I imagine Charizard may be very popular in this case)

I don't know, just throwing stuff at you… looking forward to whatever you decide on though! :)

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • @Nakuzami

I can't say much on some of your ideas, although I'm not entirely sure how a KH-Academy would walk. And I hate keyblades.

The DWMA is a great idea though! It inspires some team work, but could always be flexible if masters/weapons could change every now and then. The academy style would also work, although I would prefer to see more emphasis on missions (compulsory/optional) for teams to go on. In terms of canon characters, you could just make this in a 'post SE' world where you offer a possible future - although you'd have to be careful not to post spoilers. IE it would be reasonable to say _____ is a professor, but not 'because their partner is dead' :P or whatever.

@Nakuzami:
    I like the Eternal Wars idea!
    Probably because up until like, a week ago, I was really into CIV 5, and, well, in that game you're an immortal leader of a civilization competing against other leaders to prove your civilization's superiority… yeah, that might be really cool if handled correctly (or it could be a total bust, unfortunately… seems challenging)

And the Elder Scrolls/Pokemon crossover is something I had been thinking about for a while since Skyrim came out (was too busy playing it to actually, like, write anything though, haha)
    Maybe Dragon-types were extinct and are now coming back, and are WAY stronger than other Pokémon - as in, not weak to Ice-type attacks - so Dovahkin have to use Dragon-type attacks or Shouts to beat them… (I imagine Charizard may be very popular in this case)

I don't know, just throwing stuff at you… looking forward to whatever you decide on though! :)

Okay! I'll continue expanding on the ideas—the three you guys pointed out, mainly, and perhaps a few new ones—and see what comes together.

And, Magic, as far as the KH Academy goes . . . well, it was a rough idea. It would take some work, but I think I could find a way to manage it. I've also tried to come up with some other forms of a Kingdom Hearts roleplay, but they seemed too . . . "let's roleplay for the self-inserting value!"-ish, and not much else.

@drunk — I hadn't really considered the leading of nations idea. More like the roleplayers would have been rather normal people, sucked into immortality and a fate-of-the-world deciding mission without any choice. They'd become some form of "mystical soldiers" and have to use their powers to . . . well, decide the fate of the world. Leading an army, though, might not be out of the question. I'll take that into consideration.
    Also, I'm not sure how fond I am of the "dragons=dragon-types" idea. It sounds like it's trying too hard to be Skyrim, which isn't what I'm going for with that idea. Perhaps something like a conflict between the mortal races and the daedra (obligatory for anything The Elder Scrolls), where the daedra might have some control over (or have created) the legendary pokémon and that's sending Tamriel into a state of major imbalance, and the roleplayers are people who have oddly powerful bonds with pokémon and are trying to stop, influence, or assist the daedric control over Mundus? (you know what I like this idea I'ma try and roll with it)

Sephear

Believe in the you that believes in cheese
    Years
  • Alright time for an actual presentation, more or less. I think I mentioned before I was thinking about making a Fire Emblem RP, at the time I said more details would come the next day but in the end I decided to wait till I had a better idea of what I would be offering. The RP is actually fairly closed to finished by now, but I still figured I'd gauge interest and see if anyone had any ideas they wanted to tell me. Ironically even though a big chunk of what the RP needs to start is done, we still don't have a title, so here you go.

The RP's plot will (for a while at least) revolve around a war between Aecilia, a fairly traditional kingdom and Belial, an empire ruled by mages where those with no talent for magic are the dregs of society. It will include just about every class from every Fire Emblem game, and will have players on both sides of the war. Some players will also be allowed to start out neutral in relation to the war and go about on their own more or less for a while as long as they make their way to the main plot before too long and pick a side eventually. I'm not a big fan of GMs holding anything awesome to themselves so two non-GM Lords will be allowed in the roleplay.

There's not much more I can say without spoiling some important points so I'll leave it there for tonight, can't wait to see what you guys think.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Fantasy RPG-RP.

What do I mean by that? Well, I basically want you to think about what that means to you. To me, it basically means a good ol' RPG with a group of diverse characters with different skillsets, venturing out to save the world (And possibly getting some loot on the side)... made into an RP.

So, why am I bringing this up? Well! Basically, Albunnie and I have been thinking about this for a while, and while there -has- been a couple of RPG RPs every so often, there's never really been one that exactly catered to our needs. So! We'll be setting up our very own RP! We're working out the details now, and here's what I can tell you so far:

The RP'll be set in a fictional land thought up 100% by us, with alot of classic races and mechanics that alot of people should be familiar with, such as elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings, orcs, goblins, trolls, imps, demons, elementals and... well, basically any kind of creature you can think of. Possibly even a dragon, if you're lucky!

We'll have a very interesting (Or so we think at least) class system in place, where you'll be able to basically create your own class from several subsets of weapons, skills and pre-existing classes, along with a chapter-based story, each with its own choices, quests and rewards, depending on what the players decide to do.

The world the characters will be plonked down in will be on the brink of a semi-industrial revolutions, thanks to a brand new power-source discovery! Namely, a special type of crystal that can be used to generate and expel alot of energy. However, beyond the border of the capital city, there's barely any of this technology loose. So, what exactly will happen when several adventurers band together to try and stop an oncoming evil, with the rapid growth of industrialization of a magical, mystical land quickly spreading?

I guess you'll just have to wait and see! Hope you guys are as excited for this as we are! ^_^

Reactions: SV
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back