• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokédex 3D

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
Years
  • I put it here because I was told to. Move to wherever necessary if necessary.

Source

Pretty much, this is a game thing similar to Pokemon Box which is a Pokedex in 3D for the 3DS, featuring all the Unova Pokemon. Through doing stuff, such as connecting to other people, you can find out more stuff about the Unova Pokemon, like it was a Pokedex. It seems pretty cool, but what do you guys think? Will you be using it or anything?

Discuss.

Years
  • Eh, looks pretty boring in my opinion. It's only a Pokedex.

But at least they're getting something Pokemon related out on the 3DS.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Meh, at least it's free, and it does look a little cool. Plus it seems to be in english, so I guess japan won't get it first this time. :D

/I hope this isn't the game Coro Coro were going to announce.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • I'll get it for the most part. It's free, and it's a lot easier than using the internet on the 3DS if you ask me. You wouldn't have to wait eons to see something, and not to mention the scrolling you would have to do. It just seems like a much more convenient way to look at Pokemon and their stats. If they updated it with more features over time, such as other non-Unova Pokemon and maybe some stuff about the technical things on Pokemon, then I think it'd be a huge hit!

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2012
    cool and theres apparently summut new coming out aswell pokemon for the 3ds to be annouced at E3 :)

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • This will be a nice app to have. I'm pretty sure that Game Freak made this as sort of a 'teaser' to an actual Pokemon 3ds game to be announced in the future. The fact that this app uses augmented reality makes me knowe that the next Pokemon 3ds game will be one of the best.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    This will be a nice app to have. I'm pretty sure that Game Freak made this as sort of a 'teaser' to an actual Pokemon 3ds game to be announced in the future. The fact that this app uses augmented reality makes me knowe that the next Pokemon 3ds game will be one of the best.

It's much more likely this was made by a team at Creatures Inc. and The Pokémon Company, considering Creatures have dealt with the brunt of the 3D work since Pokémon Stadium.

Whether Game Freak will follow suit remains to be seen.

Zeph.

Casual Player, Silly Username
    Years
  • It's amazing how GameFreak can build up hype about a new 3DS Pokemon game, and still churn out something totally useless.

But then hopefully, this isn't the game they're talking about :3

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    It's very unlikely they'd reveal that particular game as unceremoniously as this.

This isn't Game Freak's work either nor do we know who's making what next.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    I don't think its a storage box. It looks like all it does if put places like Serebii and Bulbapedia in your hand held for easier access.

Seeing as Gamefreak served a cease and desist order to Apple and other companies like Ipod and crud to remove their Pokedex Applications under copyright. That was about 10 days ago and now this was released. It is from Nintendo since its in the Nintendo Shop. And Gamefreak owns everything Pokemon. If they don't own it then it isn't Pokemon or they haven't sued the owners for copyright yet.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Game Freak does not manage the Pokémon brand or deal with licencing, that job is handled by the Nintendo affiliate The Pokémon Company and their international branch The Pokémon Company International.

Anyway yeah it's just a Pokédex. There seems to be something going on with how the 'dex represents the base stats of a Pokémon - we can see that Tepig's entry gives it two bars of Defence and three bars of Speed, but both those stats are the same.

I'd guess that each segment of the bar represents an amount relative to that stat - mainly because the fastest Pokémon has 180 base speed, but the sturdiest has 230 base defence, so by making each bar fill up at a different rate the bars are as precise as possible and will have full bars for each Pokémon that max out those stats.

Meanwhile seeing as we clearly have a bank of high quality 3D models that can be displayed on the 3DS I don't see any excuse for future developers to release Pokémon games on the system that have looked sub-par like in the past.

Alternative

f i r e f l y .
    Years
  • To be honest, I'll only be getting this because it's free. I know it seems really cool and all for when you do get it, but all in all, it's just 3D sprites, and lots of information which you could easily find on the internet. If they included more information such as maps of Unova where you can find all the Pokemon, I'd be happy with that.

Years
  • Well, at least we know for sure now what the next home-console Pokemon game will look like. I'd thought these models were just for the anime intro, but if they really can just stand there and do idle animation, chances are they're just looking for something else to do with a lot of clearly game-ready work. The opportunity to use it to prop up the 3DS must have been irresistable.

560cool.

An old timer?
    Years
  • It looks like a pretty cheesy idea. Might fail, might win. Who knows. I'll be getting my 3DS in September... but I just hope it remains free. The fact that it is free really forces me to download it lmao.

The pictures look sweet, the Pokemon look cute and the features are OK. Just hoping it will get updated for further Pokemon releases, like the inevitable Pokemon Grey and RS remakes. :3

Back