• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon Black and White - Seasons

JP

wut?
Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    Omg, I'd love it if you could only find certain Pokemon and Berries at certain times of the year, that would really make for long time play and a system reminiscent of Animal Crossing. I would love to be out in the forest in the winter, covered in snow and encountering Teddiursa, Snover, Stantler & the new cute deer, and any other winter themed Pokemon.

Having berries during certain seasons would be amazing! That'd give it a strong realistic feel for sure. I love that idea.

Years
    • Seen Sep 5, 2013
    I like the idea of real-time seasons. They should be timed with season-beased events just like how we have time of day and weekly events. For example, right at the starts of winter, all the houses could be decorated with flashing lights and Christmas Trees inside. Another thing, I'm hoping for if the seasons are indeed region-wide and real-time is for region-wide weather. So, in the winter, for example, it would snow all over Isshu. Lakes would be frozen so instead of surfing you could ice skate across. That way it wouldn't seem like it's always raining on just one route while the rest of the region's weather is always sunny.

Pokemafia

I saw someone mention it somewhere before, that the weather would be based on your post code/zip that you put in at the begining of the game. So if it's raining where you are it'd be raining on the game.You'd need nwfc though.
    4 seasons, 4 weeks in a month, different season each week?
    Season exclusive pokes I'd love to see, and pokes evolving in different seasons/weather would be good.
    I'd like to also see an uber sweeper that evolves into the final poke depemding on the season/weather.

Pichu_War

Pichu from Johto
    Years
    • Seen Jan 24, 2014
    well they only showed two seasons, so what if they make routes have version differences between black & white with the seasons?

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    A lot of people seem to think in extremes when thinking how seasons would effect the game. If it is winter the region won't just instantly be covered in snow with christmas lights all around it. You won't be trudging through the snow everywhere and skating across where all the water used to be. Here's my two cents:

Seasons will have aesthetic changes in some parts of the world but not all. Now obviously having snow or tumbling leaves in the middle of the desert would make no sense. If it snows in winter, it'll effect the north most part of the world (assuming Isshu is in the northern hemisphere) and the area surrounding the mountains in Isshu. It won't snow everywhere. Seasons will most likely change the commoness of pokemon in certain areas, it'll effect the play expierience but not limit it, which is likely nintendo's motto with seasons.

Simple pokemon like Pidgey for example though, would stay the same all year round. However Spearow may all be part of a large flock and travel to a different quadrant of the region for each season.

The bug pokemon may have preferred periods when they like to be out. Caterpie might love the Spring, but be uncommon in Autmn and Winter. Weedle might love Autumn but is rarer in Spring and Winter. They both love the summer and thrieve in it, but they both go in decline during the Winter.

The oceans are filled with Seakings, Mantines, Sharpedos, Seadras and Lumineon during the summer time. But winter brings a shift in the climate and these pokemon become more uncommon. They are replaced by pokemon the thrieve in cooler waters such as Dewgong, Cloyster and Sealeo, these pokemon are also available in the summer but are far less common and prefer to stick to icey grottos in northern waters. The summer pokemon mostly head south when winter comes, but a few still hang around to be avilable to you.

The forests around the mountains are effected in the winter, a small blanket of snow covers it. Sninubs, Snovers and Sneasels venture down from the mountains to make use to the forest's resources. They are also avilable in the summer but only in the mountains they call home. Furrets and Ursarings have mostly gone into hybernation, but still appear occasionally if disturbs from their slumber. Not all forests are effected however, only the oens around the mountains or to the north.

Grass pokemon shift around the region to meet their needs. Sometimes even approaching forest bordering the desert in the middle of winter in an effort to absorb more sunlight. Most head south though, in summer there is a more even spread out.

Winter isn't all bad though. Ghost pokemon find comfort in areas where a lot of pokemon have left to fight the cold heading for warmer territory or hybernating. The nights are longer, so dark pokemon appear far more often as well as nocternal pokemon. These measures make up for the small decline in variety that i described before.

^ Just my ideas.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    ^This.

I'm liking the seasons, but I hope it will be mostly aesthetic unless it it very quick (which wouldn't be as relistic).

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • I do hope these are real seasons like in Animal Crossing, and not fake ones that last one week then switch the next week.......

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • I'm thinking:
    December - February = Winter
    March - May = Spring
    June - August = Summer
    September - November = Autumn

Maybe people can manipulate the Calendar to catch certain Pokemon?

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • 'seasons'

I just had a idea. What about if you can change the Timezone/Country/date on the DS and it will change the ingame Day/Night system and weather to match the time of year?

like someone in the UK on December 14th it would be dark at 4PM rather than 8, and on June 14th, It would be dark at 11PM rather than 8?

just a thought. do you like it or think it would work? thoughts?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Could work.

There's a pic on the Serebii home page labelled "Autumn", but no reference to it anywhere else in the page.

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • just thought it would be more useful for getting day/night exclusive pokes...

also, what about weather exclusive pokes, if this dynamic weather stuff is gonna happen.

like only being able to get poliwag in rain...

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2019
    Simple, it still rains in summer, just a whole lot less. Poliwag are common in Spring and Autumn when it rains regularly. In the areas not around the mountains in winter it also rains regularly instead of snowing.

Years
  • I hope the seasons in the game are as long as they are in real-life. I would like to see the seasons affect the availability of Pokémon without eliminating the ability to find them in a given locations.

One issue that has to be brought up is what about players in the Southern Hemisphere? I think the game ask which hemisphere you live in so it sets the seasons right.

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • If this is a major part of the engine, it will be localization. Then again, remember Isshu is it's own land. So its seasons may be based on those of the Northern Hemisphere. It's like this: the land itself has seasons, but they won't necessarily correlate to the real-life seasons the player experiences.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I hope the seasons in the game are as long as they are in real-life. I would like to see the seasons affect the availability of Pokémon without eliminating the ability to find them in a given locations.

One issue that has to be brought up is what about players in the Southern Hemisphere? I think the game ask which hemisphere you live in so it sets the seasons right.
    I live in the Northern hemisphere so it's not a problem for me but I still hope they do what you wrote here for the Southerners :)

incognito322

let's look towards the future!
    Years
  • I think a question at the beginning would be convenient, too XD.
    Only thing is, you would be able to change it whenever you started over...

Bay

Years
  • It's been revealed by Serebii.net that each season lasts one month, meaning you get each season 3 times a year.
    I'm actually cool with the seasons lasting one month. I tend to play the Pokemon games slowly, so I don't mind waiting for a new season to come. At least it isn't too fast like one week or too long like three months (for who are impatient :P ).

Last edited:

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
  • I don't want to wait that long for a Pokemon I want to catch.

It's just not interesting.

But, if the seasons aren't connected to real life, then that'd be peachy.

Maybe one part of the region is Winter, another is Spring, etc.

That'd be fine.

Back