• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon BW: did you enjoy it?

Raizhu

the end
Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2012
    I enjoyed playing it overall, but I do have some complaints.
    1. The 3D. It didn't look good to me and honestly, I don't think 3D really fits Pokemon.
    2. The grinding. It took me forever to be able to beat Clay.
    3. Lack of things to do postgame. Nuff said.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • They were disappointing. The storyline and urbanized setting were good, but that doesn't make up for the frustrating exp system, the horrendous playable trainer designs, the ridiculously high leveled post game trainers, the awful menu system, and the lack of key features from previous titles like Gym Leader rematches and the Vs. Seeker. The 3-D animations also looked horrid.

I played through the main story twice, and will not be doing it a third time. In fact, my copy is already earmarked for a sell-back to GameStop, and I have never sold a Pokemon game back to GameStop before.

Platinum, Leaf Green, and Soul Silver easily outclass it.

Cataclysmic

A New Adventure
    Years
    • Seen Jun 13, 2015
    I enjoyed BW for the most part. I liked the characters, storyline, and most of the new Pokémon. The region itself was a bit too overly linear and "contained" for my taste, though. The graphical improvements were mostly nice, but were sometimes quite overdone and annoying (Castelia City, battle scene, bridges, etc) after the novelty wore off. All in all, I enjoyed HGSS more.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    I am really enjoying white version. I think it's a great improvement in pokemon, and is a one up in standards for hand held gaming in general.
    Even after you beat the storyline the game still has so many things to do. So much of the game is trying to be internet oriented that the only way it can be improved is if the entire game takes a turn for the MMORPG market, and I can't wait till they get to being like that.

Black and White version allowed more style customization, easier interactions with people online, improved gameplay, better utilization of the touch screen, and more things to do in general. I love it. After playing white version it is really hard to go back and play the older versions.

Neosquid

♦ Darkness ♦
    Years
  • I really enjoyed the main story part, and I had fun doing stuff like training Pokemon after I beat it.

legendarypokemon

He has multiple Personalities
    Years
  • I like it very much so, and i dont think gamefreak likes bridges, its just modeled after New York City, which is full of bridges, i particularly liked the fact that there are new pokemon, what i dont like is that you can only get previous pokemon post nat dex.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
    Years
  • I had plenty of fun with Black. It had a decent story, some cool-looking Pokemonz(despite some of them being a bit... unoriginal, Samurott is badass though.), and decent graphics to boot. A bit TOO much 3-D, but nothing to get worked up over.

Although... 600+ Pokemon, I miss Red now. XD

Druddigon

Arceus Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 13, 2011
    I loved it! Its the only pokemon game I finished and continued to play it afterwords!

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I liked it, I liked the storyline, it had some good Pokemon, and lots of things to do post-game. The only thing that annoyed me was the level jump after beating the Elite 4.

Zerrah.

Mauling with Ursaring
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 15, 2018
    Personally, I loved Pokemon Black and White. The plot was thicker than any previous installment, the human characters actually had deeper backgrounds than any I've ever known, and the Pokemon themselves! I can't disagree that they were different, it's just that they had a certain charm about them that allowed me to delve deeper into the games. However, I can't say that Pokemon Black and White were my favorite games. No, I'd say that HGSS were my favorites.

The things I loved the most about B/W was, as I said before, the deeper plot. Even the gym leaders got involved, when they usually just seem to rot away in their gyms. N had to have been the coolest antagonist ever. He was so engaged throughout the storyline, and he actually seemed to fit. It was as if the developers created the game based around you and N simultaneously, not like previous games where they seemed to stick your rival in wherever there seemed to be room for a Pokemon battle that meant nothing more than a show of power.

However, I can't say Black and White was flawless. A few of the issues I have with the game may seem trivial to some of you, but to me it sort of stole the usual "perfection" that Pokemon games usually bring. The biggest flaw that I noticed, was that you couldn't challenge people to 6v6 online, you were limited to 3v3. This in my opinion is the core reason why my attention span with this game deteriorated rapidly.

I want to play this game, which is really sad because as soon as I pop it into my DS and turn it on, my desire to play disappears and I have to put it away or else I'll stare at it longingly.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Really these games couldn't be much better than they are.
    You wouldn't want to say that or else what more will there be for the likely third installment?

The games were of very high standard in comparison to the past four generations of games. I praise Black and White for its story-driven plot, because I find that a lot of the other mainstream games lacked that strong plot and it made some parts of previous games feel empty. Black and White was different in that department. And the obvious, the graphics, which were very good in my opinion. I mean the continuously animated sprites in battle and the great visuals some of the cities and areas had were wonderful to travel through. I'd really like to see how they improve on that in later generations.

A few picks I had about the game was that it lacked a variety of Pokémon in some routes and locations, especially early on (So far only RSE ranks higher than the rest of games here for me). I felt like they held back a lot of decent Pokémon far too late in the game, that some of them could have been placed in earlier areas for players to catch. Also, it could have done with some higher leveled trainers and wild Pokémon; that never hurts. Also, for introducing three-on-three battles, it really kept those to a minimum, which was disappointing.

Overall, the game was a success in my own experience. I'll admit, however, that I really haven't played it a lot like I thought I might have. So far it's the one game that I've played the least, and while I do plan to pick it up again, I find that as each new generation comes alone, they begin to lack replay value more and more in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2014
    Personally I liked the game, since I had not played a Pokemon game in a few years White was a good refresher for me, and now I play it a lot. I think what I liked most about the game was the storyline, and the way the Gyms were layered out.

echolocated

rated R for robocop
    Years
  • I liked it for the most part, but:
    -The animated sprites were cool, but too pixelated.
    -Not much after the E4.
    -The levels went to high after the main story.
    And that's pretty much it.

Roughsponge

What's occurin?
    Years
  • I really liked B/W, far more than I enjoyed D/P/Pt and HG/SS :) The games just drew me in more.. maybe because I felt they were better plotwise.

I also liked the look of the game better, the way you gain exp points and the amount of great pokemon added.

Just putting this out there but I think B/W are the best pokemon games so far, along with R/B/Y of course. :D

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    It was pretty average... The story line was great, the new region was a lot of fun, the evil team were entertaining, N was an amazing character with such a great story, the gym leaders were great, the seasons were great, dream world was amazing, entralink was great, musicals were fun, everything seemed great... But then there's the pokemon. The new generation of pokemon are desperate, laughable and poorly designed, in my opinion. Who would honestly think "Oh, I know! I'll design a rubbish bag pokemon and give it eyes! Then I'll make a hoody pokemon! And maybe even a coffin!" They spoil a potentially amazing game. :/

SalamenceV

Elite Trainer
    Years
  • I enjoyed the game, the storyline was pretty good for a Pokemon game and the graphics were brilliant for a DS game. What I think Pokemon B/W lacked though was well designed Pokemon (which is the reason it is my least favourite game in the series.) The music in this Black and White was decent but not as good as the other games in the series. I really liked the Elite Four Battle theme, Driftveil Drawbridge music and of course the classic Kanto Champion Battle theme but hated the Unova Champion Battle theme.

My favourite Pokemon in this generation would have to be Victini and my least favourite Trubbish.

-SalamenceV

Back