• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Pokémon BW: did you enjoy it?

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
Years
  • Just wondering how everyone thinks about BW, was it what you expected from it?
    Yes it has been, although I do wish that it has a Pokemon Battle Frontier rather than a Battle Subway

Do you hope they make games like this in the future?
    Well no because most likely the next main series games of Pokemon will be on the 3DS and the graphics will be a whole lot better

:t354:TG

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • I dunno what it is but when I played it I felt there was something left to be desired with it. The new pokemon introduces, unlimited TMs, the story was a bit of freshness. I can't put my finger on it but I got more enjoyability playing through DPPt. Sure they have pointless towns like Anville Town that they could have done something with, but they didn't. Too me it seems like the overall picture of everything was rushed or they wanted to bring it altogether in the Third Installment. It was visually appealing outside of the back sprites, and I liked the actual involvement of the leaders. Then again I didn't care do deal with Cheren and Bianca insensate nagging me about things, I thought they were mediocre rivals and a smudge above Brendan/May who I thought were the worst. By all means I love BW but I just don't have the passion for it as I did DPPt.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2011
    Personally, I really love BW. I really feel that there was an added sense of variety that I had been missing from DP. Also I really love how they animated the battle sprites. It makes the whole battle seem that much more alive.

Only thing I really dislike is the amount of wild Pokemon in the caves. I'm always armed with tons of repels - it's just waaay too annoying to try and investigate when every second step you take and... well hello, another Boldore.
    OMG THANK YOU!!!! I especially hate how their ability turns an easy grind for water/grass types into an unnecessary hassle.

Last edited:

Dark Piplup

This user title is original
    Years
  • so long ago...yet...
    anyways yes! I loved the games! The graphics were far better than the other games and I like that. The features were also really neat. The battling was a lot more fun too.

MuffinPaula

「PONPON!? ??
    Years
  • Yes I really loved Black. I actually liked Black more than White. I loved the new features. Also most of the Pokemon were awesome. But after the game it gets REALLY BORING. Overall awesome

Silent Storm

Achieving Perfection
    Years
  • Enjoyable, but still prefer HeartGold / SoulSilver.

1. I didn't really like the whole atmosphere of Unova.
    2. They removed Lv 100 from friend code battles.
    3. Barren postgame. After finding the sages that's about it. I would have preferred a Battle Frontier over a Subway.
    4. Bare minimum features. Gym Leader rematches with updated teams from all generations would have been good. a Vs Seeker would have made it easier leveling up. Pokémon following you would have been nice but I'm not really bothered by that.
    5. Levels post game are messed up, the lack of a Vs. Seeker only made battling more frustrating.
    6. Riding the back is awkward.
    7. Lack of touch controls.

Some of these things are minor, but my main complaint is the barren postgame content, though there are some good things:

1. Multiplayer expanded. The C-Gear is amazing.
    2. Dream World. Being able to get Pokémon online is also amazing.
    3. Global Link. I love how we can download new skins for our C-Gear, and participate in Global Battle Union ranked battles and tournaments.
    4. Animations & Battle Environments. I like how the Pokémon are fully animated now, and the battle environments also being animated are a nice touch.
    5. Weather Condition Indicator. This speeds up the flow of the battle.
    6. Story. Easily the best story of the main games. Team Plasma is a constant presence and the leaders actually play a role (aside from the first three) in the story.
    7. Reusable TMs. I'm going to admit that I never used most of my TMs cause I could only get one, and getting more of the same was a pain, so they became collectables, rather than things I use to make my Pokémon stronger.

I still prefer Soul Silver over Black though. Better post game, and the whole atmosphere is better.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I'm kinda bummed about it, really. I was all excited and everything for Black, had it pre-ordered at GameStop and all this. When it came out, I thought it was so pretty and omggg Pokemon, new generation excitement, blahblah.
    After I played the story, I felt, idk disappointed in it. Not from the story or anything, but the game itself. All the techy-ness of it and everything. I don't know. I just didn't like it. The pokemon either.
    SoulSilver is and will always be my favorite.

Years
  • [SIZE="a"]This being the first game I've played since Yellow, (got Black, then Platinum and HG) and the speed of the menus, c-gear and absolutely massive variety of Pokemon added made it feel like a whole new game. The experience gained in battles makes the game a lot less dedicating due to having to not grind against the highest level Pokemon found. I thought this game overall was great but needed more post game stuff than it does such as Platinum and Heartgold[/SIZE]

MiracleNinetales

Ninja Assassin.
    Years
  • Usually all the newest games become my favorites after I've completed them - But Black and White were my favorites because I really did enjoy them.
    I enjoyed the storyline, music and the new Pokemon. I'm not a big fan of all the 3D themed parts, like the Black City and Castelia City, but I did enjoy them.

I know that the whole 'Pokemon following you' thing in HeartGold and SoulSilver was exclusive to it's versions, but if they had put that in Black and White, it would have made it better. With my Espeon following me around everywhere, my experience would be more awesome. SoulSilver however, will always be an 'old favorite' to me, Black and White can't beat SS and HG.

Years
    • Seen Feb 4, 2013
    I liked it. I had a good feeling about the game before playing it and it was just as epic and nice as I tought.
    The different evil team was really cool, their goal isn't taking the world, and that feels pretty new.
    I really enjoyed pokemon b/w, but the amount of new pokemon was way too high in my opinion and the aftergame kinda sucked with the really high leveled pokemon.

Years
  • White is my favorite pokemon game ever!

The story was great, I loved the region and the pokemon and the best part for me is that the pokemon move!

Can't wait for the next game! :3

ScarletCross

Cresselia Fan
    Years
  • I liked Pokemon White a lot and I thought the 3D effects were a nice touch. My only downer on Pokemon White and Black is that you can't catch all the Pokemon and there aren't trainers who have the pokemon for your pokedex even if you wanted them through trade. Like Vulluby and Rufflet; Vulluby on Black, Rufflet on White. It's all good though if you have wi-fi, therefore you can use GTS Negotiations.

On the other hand Unova is awesome :) and I generally liked the new Gen from the previous one. I liked the story to but the Pokemon League let me down ...

encas

Don't tread on me.
    Years
  • Personally, I really liked Black and White. However, I could see why one would argue that the games were too different from past installments. For example, I usually go through the main storyline of a Pokemon game in one shot over the course of a week; it took me about a few months to beat Black, as I forgot about it for a period of at least three months.

I recall thinking that the Pokemon designs were horrid when I first saw them. For example, I remember seeing Scraggy and Cubchoo and hoping that the sprites were an elaborate hoax. The style of these games may be different, but it is justified, I feel. Unova may have taken some time to warm up to, but I feel as if Black and White are just as good as its predecessors.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • I loved it! Loved the story, loved the new Pokémon (at least after I saw them in game, with moving sprites)
    I also really liked how easy it was to level up your Pokémon with the lucky egg

Probably the only things that I didn't like were the new contest, and the fact that Valcarona could be found at level 70 after the E4, making putting time into training the baby Lavastar that you get early on. That and I kind of liked the fact that your team could follow you around in HG/SS.

Giraffe

キリンリキ
    Years
  • I really love B/W for the graphics & Wi-Fi features, though post-game I found it really boring... I used the GTS Negotiations way too much, & my boxes became cramped with random Pokemon, so I've re-started for something to do.

Maple Leaf

dazed and abused
    Years
  • B/W was fantastic, but I can't necessarily say it was my favorite. I would have loved something similar to the Sevii Islands, because if they did that, it would definitely be my favorite. :33

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • B/W at the very least met my standards. I enjoyed playing Platinum more.

Maybe it is because the lack of the other pokemon struck a chord in me. Hmm.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I liked Black a great deal, but I'm not sure if it's because I couldn't remember lots about previous games I'd played (it'd been about 5 years since I'd played a game... and absence makes the heart grow fonder), or because I genuinely liked the new features and additions and whatnot. I liked some of the new Pokemon a lot, but others not so much; the urban environment was a nice change, but it skimped out on my favourite water-based areas to make up for it. If I had to rank it now with all of the other games I've played, it would probably be somewhere in the middle, to be honest.

Back