• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon DarkViolet (Full Version Released)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 15, 2014
Hey, could anyone help me with something?
I really want to play this game, but i keep getting the white screen.
I did the 128kb flash save thing already, and right now i'm pretty much out of ideas on what to do.

Edit: just read trough the post above me, could it possibly be that i'm using the wrong rom then?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 8, 2024
If I PM you , can you send me the ROM file which you are using , is that allowed?
The graphics of this hack are really good ! Keep up the good work man.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
The MD5 checksum for the "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels).gba" I found is e26ee0d44e809351c8ce2d73c7400cdd
Compare this with the checksum of the base rom you have using this.

Make sure you are using FireRed v1.0 and not v1.1 as well; you could still have the wrong rom if you're dumping your own retail FR, because you might have v1.1 and DarkViolet was built around v1.0
The easiest way to differentiate between v1.0 and v1.1 is to boot up the rom. If the word "Presents" does not show up at the Game Freak logo, you have v1.0 and *should* be fine using that one.

There *should* only really be two different rom dumps on most major rom sites, being the v1.0 rom and the v1.1 one.
I just went and made a DarkViolet .ips patch for use on v1.1 FireRed, but the resulting patch is 8.8MB.
That's quite a bit, but it would probably help with reducing the amount of people reporting glitches that don't exist.

(And I don't really get why assembly hacks would prevent the use of .ips patches '-')

The reason for the "don't post roms" rule isn't because patches are smaller than roms, it's because distributing roms is illegal.
Allowing their users to distribute roms would bring all sorts of complications for the PC staff, considering this is such a huge and famous fansite (as opposed to more obscure forums that aren't really well known.)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
''Thank you for playing Pokemon Dark Violet Beta 2.0''
''Am I in your way?''
''LOL''
Apparently the best way to end the beta is being laughed at for not being able to continue. Sigh....Anyway awesome job as always.Hope you fix those little bug type problems :D
And also there were some signs and rocks that you could step on instead of them blocking you like they should.The rock is in safari zone and the sign i can't remember for the life of me where it was.Keep it up and give us cinnabar island and the rest quickly (JOKING and make cinnabar island with a volcano as it should be).
One more thing. How do i make sure my tyrouge evolves into a specific pokemon. I hear it has to have certain stats higher than others but i have no clue..I can't go evolving tyrouge over and over into the same pokemon so help me there please !.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 7, 2022
Bug Report: When battling major trainers (rivals, leaders, bosses), my game freezes when my Nidoqueen comes out. It's be doing this since she was a Nidorina and maybe a Nidoran. It's really frustrating, especially when she is supposed to be my major player against Surge.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Bug Report: When battling major trainers (rivals, leaders, bosses), my game freezes when my Nidoqueen comes out. It's be doing this since she was a Nidorina and maybe a Nidoran. It's really frustrating, especially when she is supposed to be my major player against Surge.
Remove the Quick Claw from your Nidoqueen and the game won't freeze anymore.

Years
  • Seen Jul 11, 2015
Finally finished Beta 2. I loved it. Wasn't expecting Deoxys as the Pokemon, well done. Only really noticed a few typos here and there, no real major glitch.

I could be over levelled (Charizard is 62, 4 others around 53-60 by the end of the Beta) but I feel like the Gym leaders are in an awkward position. They fit well on the difficulty curve but don't pose a challenge. Like in other games the Gym Leaders were all of a sudden 4-6 levels higher than the other trainers in the gym, which made them the challenge. That would come with increasing the difficulty curve however. Also, I may be over levelled. But I did find Beta 1's gyms harder than Beta 2's.

I'm enjoying the little things you've put into this game. Such as the Guard Standing on the desk, the signs at the end of the Beta.

Some of the linear-ness of the game I've found a little annoying, such as having to do the Game Corner before Celadon Gym. Completely understand the reasoning behind it though.

For some reason, I didn't enjoy the confrontation with Giovanni in Sliph Co. as much as I should've. The battles were fine it was what happened after. Giovanni was in a pretty much screwed spot and his was of escaping felt, cliche and like you wrote yourself into a corner. Yes Team Rocket succeeded in their primary goal but that section felt rushed I guess. Good battles still though.

Am looking forward to Beta 3 or the final release, which ever comes next. One of the two best hacks I've ever played and am very much enjoying it. Probably will make a second save file to enjoy the game from the beginning to where it is now. You should be very proud of your work. You have done an immaculate job.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
@Chaos: I'm using the rom dump you stated in the first post. And i'm just starting the game btw. I dont have any badge yet.

Last edited:

Iceman3k

Kickin' it Tribal GO Style
Years
Did another Double Hit test, but this time, using Doduo and it did work. So I reckon it was just because of Reckless being buggy.
Farewell Hitmonlee. :p

EDIT:
One more thing. How do i make sure my tyrouge evolves into a specific pokemon. I hear it has to have certain stats higher than others but i have no clue..I can't go evolving tyrouge over and over into the same pokemon so help me there please !.
Attack > Defense - Hitmonlee
Attack < Defense - Hitmonchan
Attack = Defense - Hitmontop

At Level 20.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 14, 2014
Can anyone tell me if the flame body ability helps eggs hatch faster? In the original FR it didn't but I was curious if it was changed.

Iceman3k

Years
Can anyone tell me if the flame body ability helps eggs hatch faster? In the original FR it didn't but I was curious if it was changed.
After experimenting using Magby, that's a negative since it took an eternity to hatch an 8,960 Stepped Egg.

Years
  • Seen Dec 9, 2023
Beta 2.1 is here!

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8hae6lzeittj21u/PokemonDarkVioletBeta+2_1.zip

Here is a list of changes:
- Eggs now hatch faster if you have a Pokémon with Magma Armor or Flame Body in your party (credit to HackMew)
- Quick Claw freeze glitch fixed (credit to MrDollSteak)
- Sucker Punch fixed (credit to MrDollSteak)
- Poison Heal fixed (credit to MrDollSteak)
- the tall grass now has R/S/E's animation rather than FireRed's
- new palette for Viridian Forest
- missing footprints added
- Vulpix and Ninetales can no longer have Drought because it's too OP and dumb. If you already caught a Vulpix/Ninetales with Drought, it will revert to Flash Fire.
- Eevee now has Adaptability (I accidentally gave it Chrlorophyll in 2.0 for some reason)
- the flag for HM03 has been fixed, so for the people who weren't able to get Surf because they went to Saffron Gym first, you can get Surf now
- NPC in Mr. Fuji's house now has the correct dialogue
- Music continuation glitch after S.S. Anne event has been fixed
- Reckless, Sheer Force, Iron Fist, Overcoat, and Bullet Proof are now properly implemented
- move descriptions corrected
- other minor things

Again, please make sure you're patching to "1636 - Pokemon Fire Red (U)(Squirrels)". I can't do anything about glitches that only occur if you patch to a different ROM dump.

Finally finished Beta 2. I loved it. Wasn't expecting Deoxys as the Pokemon, well done. Only really noticed a few typos here and there, no real major glitch.

I could be over levelled (Charizard is 62, 4 others around 53-60 by the end of the Beta) but I feel like the Gym leaders are in an awkward position. They fit well on the difficulty curve but don't pose a challenge. Like in other games the Gym Leaders were all of a sudden 4-6 levels higher than the other trainers in the gym, which made them the challenge. That would come with increasing the difficulty curve however. Also, I may be over levelled. But I did find Beta 1's gyms harder than Beta 2's.
Well, I know that some people actually trained in between releases. I'm interested in hearing your opinions of the Gyms if you just play it from the beginning all the way through.

I'm enjoying the little things you've put into this game. Such as the Guard Standing on the desk, the signs at the end of the Beta.

Some of the linear-ness of the game I've found a little annoying, such as having to do the Game Corner before Celadon Gym. Completely understand the reasoning behind it though.
I have the entire storyline planned out, so it kinda has to be more linear.

For some reason, I didn't enjoy the confrontation with Giovanni in Sliph Co. as much as I should've. The battles were fine it was what happened after. Giovanni was in a pretty much screwed spot and his was of escaping felt, cliche and like you wrote yourself into a corner. Yes Team Rocket succeeded in their primary goal but that section felt rushed I guess. Good battles still though.
I didn't feel like I wrote myself into a corner lol, the original plan was for him and Team Rocket to just be gone like the originals, but I really liked Pokémon Origin's take on it that I actually revised that section of the story so that Giovanni leaves "in-style". I hope you also know that unlike the original games, that's not the end of Team Rocket. I wasn't kidding when I said that I've had the whole story planned out for awhile now, and that purple rock in Pewter Museum is more than enough evidence to prove that, as it's a major part of the story.

Am looking forward to Beta 3 or the final release, which ever comes next. One of the two best hacks I've ever played and am very much enjoying it. Probably will make a second save file to enjoy the game from the beginning to where it is now. You should be very proud of your work. You have done an immaculate job.
Thanks for your feedback! My responses are in bold.

@Chaos: I'm using the rom dump you stated in the first post. And i'm just starting the game btw. I dont have any badge yet.
I still don't have any problems. If you talk to him before you deliver the parcel, he'll just say, "Say hi to Prof. Oak for me!" or something like that. And afterwards, he'll have exactly what I showed in the screenshot.

Well, as Beta 2.1, yes, that has been implemented. Credit to HackMew for writing the original routine.

Charizard with solar power? o_O Ugghh.. Hate it. Blaze is better. Haha
You do realize that you can just soft-reset to get the ability you want, right? Charmander still has Blaze, it just has Solar Power as a secondary ability. You can still get the starters with their original ability.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 6, 2019
Just wondering, where is the Quick Claw located? I'm at Fuschia City right now, and I still don't have it. Is it available later, or did I miss it somewhere?

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
Years
@Chaos: Yeah, i preaty much know that. But i'll just go ahead and try to experiment on that ability though. =)

Just wondering, where is the Quick Claw located? I'm at Fuschia City right now, and I still don't have it. Is it available later, or did I miss it somewhere?

You must thank you did not get the quick claw. Cause i heard that quick claw is buggy. {:3} I think its fixed now on the latest release. ;)

Last edited:

Iceman3k

Years
You get it from a woman in Pewter City. Talking to everyone does have its perks in any game.

And I downloaded 2.1 before leaving work last night. No more buggy Hitmonlee.
Chaos Rush, you are a hero.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I am absolutely loving this. Heading down Cycling Road at the moment. I decided to add Snorlax and Rhyhorn (now Rhydon) to my team as I have never used them before.

For those who have finished the beta, is the TM for Ice Beam available? I want it for my Blastoise.

I've tried some of the other hacks and never got anywhere with them. This is just on a completely different level. I can't wait until it's completed.

Years
I've just finished the beta and it's amazing ! The new version fixed my problem with Hitmonchan so thank you for that :).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 19, 2014
Nice job on the new beta and I hope your working on beta 3 no rush though. I just was wondering if Pokémon Origins had some influence on this game because some parts of the game feel like it.

Back