• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Elite Quest[Alpha 1 Released]

What do you like most about this hack?

• Story

Votes: 36 57.1%
  • Mapping

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Scripting

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Tiles

Votes: 9 14.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I don't believe it would. It's not going to change much but that is your opinion. lol

Although if some things ARE done wrong they can affect the ROM, which wouldn't be good for this game as it looks like it has potential. :)

Isn't your opinion biased as well?

I mean, keeping the things as they are is actually a good thing.
1. We're used to it. Seriously, I've been playing Pok?mon for at least 7 years, and I do not want to see some change like this, even if it is just a fan game. It is, in some ways. Like Ground hitting Flying, just less logical.
2. You know, if we're going to wreck the balance in the Pok?mon world, why not just go all out? Trio will be Normal/Fire/Dragon. Normal's good on Dragon because Normals are like people who tame the Dragons. Dragons breathe fire, and so Dragon is good on Fire. And Fire burns things, like regular creatures, like Normal types, so Fire is good against Normal.

I would post a third point, but I feel no need to.

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
Years
Isn't your opinion biased as well?

I mean, keeping the things as they are is actually a good thing.
1. We're used to it. Seriously, I've been playing Pok?mon for at least 7 years, and I do not want to see some change like this, even if it is just a fan game. It is, in some ways. Like Ground hitting Flying, just less logical.
2. You know, if we're going to wreck the balance in the Pok?mon world, why not just go all out? Trio will be Normal/Fire/Dragon. Normal's good on Dragon because Normals are like people who tame the Dragons. Dragons breathe fire, and so Dragon is good on Fire. And Fire burns things, like regular creatures, like Normal types, so Fire is good against Normal.

I would post a third point, but I feel no need to.

See that makes no sense at all and you know it.

Hacking is what we do here and it would make the game more difficult BECAUSE you'd be expecting their Espeon to do zero to you when oh no, it gives a small amount of damage.

Changing ground to hit flying is very silly, even items that make it possible are logical, like iron ball or something. And eartquake cannot hit a Pidgey.

What you just said is like using a Golem in a surf battle!

Although the decision is not up to me it is up to the person making this hack, so I vote [even though it cant be voted for] Dark/Psychic/Fighting. :)

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen yesterday
See that makes no sense at all and you know it.

Hacking is what we do here and it would make the game more difficult BECAUSE you'd be expecting their Espeon to do zero to you when oh no, it gives a small amount of damage.

Changing ground to hit flying is very silly, even items that make it possible are logical, like iron ball or something. And eartquake cannot hit a Pidgey.

What you just said is like using a Golem in a surf battle!

Although the decision is not up to me it is up to the person making this hack, so I vote [even though it cant be voted for] Dark/Psychic/Fighting. :)

What you're implying is exactly the same as changing the types so that Ground affects Flying, or so that Fighting affects Ghost. Same type of logic that you're using, except it's affecting different things.

Also, instead of changing the types to make the game difficult, why not just level up the opponents' Pok?mon? Rather than change what people are used to, we can do something that's easy.

Plus, lots of things in Pok?mon don't make sense (especially in 3rd gen).
For example, lots of physical attacks are based on Special Attack, and vice versa. And Poison not affecting Steel. Acid would corrode Steel, but it doesn't affect it. Also, Mud Shot is Ground type, but should hit Flying because it's aimed at the target, rather than being a seismic wave from the ground. Also, why can't a Pok?mon be asleep and poisoned at the same time? When a bird is asleep, shouldn't Earthquake be able to hit it, because we know that birds cannot fly while sleeping? Why do rocks get poisoned?

If we're HACKERS, why don't we just change all of these things?

Also, I do not believe that I am wrong. You can't make such a statement, since you can't peer into my mind.

Last edited:

AimayBee

Mighty Spriter
Years
What you're implying is exactly the same as changing the types so that Ground affects Flying, or so that Fighting affects Ghost. Same type of logic that you're using, except it's affecting different things.

Also, instead of changing the types to make the game difficult, why not just level up the opponents' Pok?mon? Rather than change what people are used to, we can do something that's easy.

Plus, lots of things in Pok?mon don't make sense (especially in 3rd gen).
For example, lots of physical attacks are based on Special Attack, and vice versa. And Poison not affecting Steel. Acid would corrode Steel, but it doesn't affect it. Also, Mud Shot is Ground type, but should hit Flying because it's aimed at the target, rather than being a seismic wave from the ground. Also, why can't a Pok?mon be asleep and poisoned at the same time? When a bird is asleep, shouldn't Earthquake be able to hit it, because we know that birds cannot fly while sleeping? Why do rocks get poisoned?

If we're HACKERS, why don't we just change all of these things?

Also, I do not believe that I am wrong. You can't make such a statement, since you can't peer into my mind.

As for levelling other peoples pokemon up that will just make people grind more and nobody likes to grind. :P

Let us agree to disagree on this subject and stop spamming up this thread with our discussion. You can send me a PM if you want.

To chrunch, are you going to add more screenshots or have beta testers? x

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Chrunch, I sent you my proof. You can decide.

Well, there aren't really any 3 evolutionary stage Ice Types, except Spheal.
If that was chosen, I would go for Machop, Spheal, and a random 3 stage bird, probably.
I think Fighting/Ice/Flying is interesting combination =)
You can go for Machop (with the fact of evolving Machoke into Machamp through level up), Spheal and some generic bird =D
That's what I would do if Ice Flying Fighting was chosen. I was originally going to do Snorunt, Makuhita, and Taillow, but 3 stages are usually better starters.
I've been looking at the people posting in this hack and I just HAVE to say a few things...

First, are we not hackers?? The psychic/dark/fighting thing can be fixed easily! You hack it so psychic affects dark! :O

Outrageous, I know, but still. -.-

Second, I do dislike fakemon in a hack, I wouldn't begrudge anyone putting B/W or D/P pokemon into a hack and as for everyone choosing the B/W pokemon, why not, once again because I know this is what we do here, hack the pokemon to make them better at different things?? Like special attack, attack, defense.

One last time to really ask this question, Are We Not Hackers? :O
What would be so good about changing the effectiveness of types? :/ I agree with what 5qwerty said. It's been like this for 10 years, why change it now?...

Anyways, Dark Psychic Fighting Pokemon aren't really ideal for starters, and that is the reason why I didn't choose them.

I'm glad you restarted Elite Quest! I remember being disappointed when your previous attempt fell by the wayside. Judging purely from the screenshots, I can tell that the game has a aesthetic appeal to it along with (seemingly) good mapping. Stick with this one!
Thanks. I remember being disappointed when you quit your hack. D:

To chrunch, are you going to add more screenshots or have beta testers? x
No, I won't have beta testers, and yes there will be more screenies. :D

Updates!

Just showing off some great sprites from old EQ that i'm inserting into the New Elite Quest!
4e5f3913a0.png

Domo! :3
elitequestequilnikaroro.png

Equil! :D

Credits to:
  • NikaRoRou - Equil
  • Chibi Robo - Domo
Tell Me your thoughts!

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen yesterday
Please...no Domo...

I already have to deal with a giant Mob of Asian Domo fans at school. (Well, it's over, but still)

Equil should have Intimidate. On a more serious note, definitely not Static. Though, would Volt Absorb work?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
What type is Domo supposed to be? I'm curious.
Anyways, the Equil sprite looks awesome. I wonder what ability it will have?
I'll be tuned in for more updates. Good luck.
Domo is a Normal Type. Thanks. :3
Please...no Domo...

I already have to deal with a giant Mob of Asian Domo fans at school. (Well, it's over, but still)

Equil should have Intimidate. On a more serious note, definitely not Static. Though, would Volt Absorb work?
Equil already has Volt Absorb. :D
Equil looks cute :D
Nik is very clever :D
We have plus, minus but no equal yet and now we have.
Great thinking Nik :D
All Nik did was repose it, actually. I made it originally but since I'm so horrible at spriting, Nik offered to repose it for me. :D

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

Updates!

eqnewtour.png

Hey, it's that old guy that shows you around!
eqnewtour2.png

-----------------------
Anyways, lately i've been working on some bugs that i've found, and unfortunately, I'm going to have to push back the alpha release date a bit. hopefully i'll get the alpha out by the end of the month. Comments please :3

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021

Alpha 1.0 Release

The Elite Quest alpha is finally ready! You can find it in the attachment on this post or the first page. Please report any bugs you find in this thread, and leave your feedback! The alpha goes up to after the first GYM, and it includes a big Team Rocket event in Cobalt Forest. Enjoy!

F.A.Q.
Q. What is best starter?
A. Cyndaquil is the easiest, and Squirtle is the hardest.

Q. The Team Rocket Grunts in Cobalt City are blocking my way. What do I do?
A. Talk to the guy in front of the GYM.

Q. someone is blocking my way into the first GYM. What do I do?
A. You must complete the event in the forest.

Q. When is the Beta out?
A. When it's ready.

Years
  • Seen Aug 5, 2013
I just played the Alpha release. Here are my thoughts!

I thought it was a very nice alpha! There are many things that can be improved, of course. I thought the mapping was above average for the most part. Some of the things that trainers said gave me a chuckle here and there, too. I'm excited to see more fakemon in this hack, too. Equil took me by surprise (and I noticed that it's special attack is in beastmode territory).

Here are some obvious bugs/flaws I encountered:
  • Many signs don't have scripts associated with them
  • The guy on the east side of Cobalt City has a poor script. He walks down 2 squares no matter where the player is. He doesn't meet the player correctly.
  • You undoubtedly know this already, but new pokemon like Munchlax and Roselia need to have their entire base stats, movesets, and types redone.
    "Munchlax used Wing Attack!"
    "Roselia used Water Pulse! It's super effective!"

Have fun with this!

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
All Nik did was repose it, actually. I made it originally but since I'm so horrible at spriting, Nik offered to repose it for me. :D
That's true, I didn't think of the concept.

Alpha review

First of all, good job so far. The poster above me is correct, so I'm going to bypass these comments and move to others:

Spoiler:

Good luck to the rest of your hack! If there's something else about sprites that I could do, don't hesitate to ask :]

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I just played the Alpha release. Here are my thoughts!

I thought it was a very nice alpha! There are many things that can be improved, of course. I thought the mapping was above average for the most part. Some of the things that trainers said gave me a chuckle here and there, too. I'm excited to see more fakemon in this hack, too. Equil took me by surprise (and I noticed that it's special attack is in beastmode territory).

Here are some obvious bugs/flaws I encountered:
  • Many signs don't have scripts associated with them
  • The guy on the east side of Cobalt City has a poor script. He walks down 2 squares no matter where the player is. He doesn't meet the player correctly.
  • You undoubtedly know this already, but new pokemon like Munchlax and Roselia need to have their entire base stats, movesets, and types redone.
    "Munchlax used Wing Attack!"
    "Roselia used Water Pulse! It's super effective!"

Have fun with this!
Thanks for the comments!
  • Sorry about that, I totally forgot about signposts. Fixed for the next release.
  • Fixed for the next release.
  • I thought I'd changed Munchlax, but fixed anyway.
thanks for the bug reports. I've fixed everything for the beta.
That's true, I didn't think of the concept.

Alpha review

First of all, good job so far. The poster above me is correct, so I'm going to bypass these comments and move to others:

Spoiler:

Good luck to the rest of your hack! If there's something else about sprites that I could do, don't hesitate to ask :]
1. fixed for the beta. As for the ledge, I might change that later, but for now it'll stay like that.
2. fixed for the beta.
3. fixed for the beta.
4. It's a little treasure that you can find a way to get to, like a puzzle. I haven't inserted it yet, however. I have no idea why the Pokeball disappears.
5. Don't know why this is happening. I definitely made sure this event wouldn't repeat. I'll look into it.
6. fixed.
thanks for the bug reports. I might need some spriting help later, thanks! :D

Updates!

I've got some good progress on the beta, and a new feature implemented, headbutt trees!
eqnewheadbutt1.png

eqnewheadbutt2.png

eqnewheadbutt3.png

This the person who gives you the headbutt TM.
eqnewheadbutt4.png

eqnewheadbutt5.png

Pictures of the Headbutt script in action. Credits to Darathon for the script.
eqnewominous.png

Ominous Cavern. A story event takes place here.
eqnewberry1.png

eqnewberry2.png

this is the berry shop, another feature from the old EQ that i'm bringing back.
eqnewcyan.png

eqnewcyan2.png

pictures of Cyan Town, the third town/city in Solia.

Contest

I'm looking to insert some minigames in EQ, and I need some ideas. If you post your idea for a minigame, and I like it, I'll insert it into EQ and credit you for it. The only rule is no ASM (For example, the ruins of alph puzzle). I hope I get some good ideas!

Wow, lots of updates this time. as usual, comment and tell me what you think, and remember to submit your minigame idea if you have one!

Last edited:

Truality

Left for good
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 17, 2013
Nice headbutt trees, are they OWs?

Αn easily-scripted mini-game/puzzle would be a tag game with a pokemon, (GSCHGSS farfetch'd fetch anyone?)
The layout of the location and the game rules could be easy to think of and build, too. I'm not barging into details because I guess you can pull it off on your own.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
I know this is nothing to do with the hack but what is the difference between alpha and beta?

Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
Nice headbutt trees, are they OWs?

Αn easily-scripted mini-game/puzzle would be a tag game with a pokemon, (GSCHGSS farfetch'd fetch anyone?)
The layout of the location and the game rules could be easy to think of and build, too. I'm not barging into details because I guess you can pull it off on your own.
No, the headbutt trees are tiles.

Yeah, I might do something like that later in the game. It would be pretty easy. thanks for the suggestion. :D

a good culminating story, can't wait for the final version
Thanks. The story's going to be more exciting in the game, but I don't want to reveal the full plot yet.
HAvent seen a headbut script in a while.. but how did you do your road block script i cant find a tut anywhere
Uh, basic scripting. a roadblock script is easy, just read a scripting tutorial, there are heaps in the tutorial section.

Updates!

Finally, a new update! A New Team Rocket event? :o
2retkk4.png

Ignore the tile error to the left of the player, on the house. It's been fixed.
23tpmw2.png
v4ovba.png

a0c6kz.png
110vcqh.png

After a short battle, the police appear. :)
a2ta85.png
2jee3b9.png

2hyfdsj.png
ra3vaf.png

The police are blocking the way now. ):
104g8ic.png
2lbgc1s.png

New Screenshots of Route 3, on the way to Golden City.

New Feature

Anyways, I've decided on a new feature, you'll get to go on a short visit to the region of Sinnoh in the beta, to deliver something from Prof. Palm (Celia region's Professor) to Sinnoh. You'll get to explore Canclave City, Route 218, And Jubilife City, and then go back to Celia.
And remember, I'm still looking for minigame ideas! comment and say what you think!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back